Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My father bought me a Samsung Instinct December 10-20, 2008; it was running fine for just 2 weeks until I knew I was using a crappy "smartphone".
    This phone kept freezing, kept acting weird, and it pretty much did everything terrible (opening programs, playing music, using the internet, watching videos, etc). On top of all that, the batteries were terrible since Day 1, and that is why it brought two batteries(Oh great, I have to recharge for 4 hours for me to use my phone for a day).
    Because of that I let my dad know that since my mother's phone was damaged and she was soon switching her phone(she's had her phone for like 3 years).

I wanted to switch for the Pre since I saw it around the internet since January 2009. Since then, I been checking everything Palm Pre. I haven't bought the Pre, who knows why, time flies and my mother and I have been using our damaged and terrible for a whole year.

My instinct has the $75 off the next phone now, could I cancel the phone altogether now?
    My mother has a phone she got from my uncle as a gift and she wants to upgrade it from the one she uses now(her phone only shows a white screen and all she can do is receive calls...). She can supposedly get the Pre for 249.99(mail in rebate included) at Sprint. Could she get the same deal at Radioshack or Best Buy for 149.99 since they drop mail-in-rebate? Could she also cancel her phone from the family plan?

I guess what am asking is that if I can get the Pre for 149.99 from my mother's line and she can use mines so she can upgrade with the phone my uncle gave her?
    Could I cancel my phone? And hers?
    What are the prices we will obtain or pay?
    You have 30 days to return w/ Sprint
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

3.    #3  
    I am one year late for that... Didn't you read my thread? Haha.
    So to make sure I understand, you want to get the Pre, you have an instinct, your mother also needs a new phone?

To cancel would be about a hundred dollars a line on average. If either of you are up for upgrade, it would be $130 at RadioShack to get a Pre, not $150. For a new line, it would be 80. It went down. You could then put the Pre on your line and the other phone on your mothers. Thirty days to return.
  5.    #5  
    So I would give her my phone? Can't I get the phone my uncle gave her so she won't use my crappy Instinct?
    Oy, let me see if I can sort this out.

Your mother's phone line has an upgrade available, but she doesn't need an upgrade because she got a new phone as a gift. Because of this, you want to use that upgrade (buy a Pre) but use the Pre on a different line?

If that's the case, the smoothest thing to do would be order the Pre through Sprint Telesales using the upgrade on your mom's line. Sprint will FedEx you the Pre, then you can simply activate it on your line, the activate your mom's new gift phone on her line.

I'm assuming all the lines are on the same account. This way you won't have to worry about cancelling any lines or any ETFs.
    Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    So I would give her my phone? Can't I get the phone my uncle gave her so she won't use my crappy Instinct?
    Certainly. You can use any phone you want. Just make sure she has the right plan for it, IE data if she needs it.
  8.    #8  
    We have the everything family plan.

@Darth Mo.

If I order the Pre through my mom's line, wouldn't that replace her existing phone with the Pre? Therefore I can't use the Pre on my line... or can I?
    And then I can upgrade the phone she got from my uncle on her line?

Please explain.
    The phones don't come activated, meaning that they are not programed to her number. It does use her upgrade though. When the Pre came in, you would log onto Sprint's site, go to swap a phone, take the phone from your Uncle and put it on hers. Do the same to put the Pre on yours.
  10.    #10  
    That would be great...
    So if I upgrade this way our current phones will automatically be "disactivated"? If it is as you say then this is great.
    We have the everything family plan.

@Darth Mo.

If I order the Pre through my mom's line, wouldn't that replace her existing phone with the Pre? Therefore I can't use the Pre on my line... or can I?
    And then I can upgrade the phone she got from my uncle on her line?

Please explain.
    Technically, you can use any phone on whatever line you want. The "upgrade" just applies to the annual subsidy Sprint provides towards a new phone. So if you ordered through your mom's line, the only thing that would change is that line would not be eligible for an upgrade for another year.

In other words, the phone itself is not locked to any line by Sprint. As long as a phone isn't active on any other line you're free to put it on yours. If you put the phone your mom got from your uncle on her line, you're just activating it, you're not upgrading anything.
    That would be great...
    So if I upgrade this way our current phones will automatically be "disactivated"? If it is as you say then this is great.
    Indeed. Keep them as backups, and of course, transfer your numbers over.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Technically, you can use any phone on whatever line you want. The "upgrade" just applies to the annual subsidy Sprint provides towards a new phone. So if you ordered through your mom's line, the only thing that would change is that line would not be eligible for an upgrade for another year.

In other words, the phone itself is not locked to any line by Sprint. As long as a phone isn't active on any other line you're free to put it on yours. If you put the phone your mom got from your uncle on her line, you're just activating it, you're not upgrading anything.
    So... our phones will still be "activated" and my father will have to pay monthly for those phones as well? Or once I upgrade for the Pre and my mother upgrades with her new phone, those phones will be out of line?
    So... our phones will still be "activated" and my father will have to pay monthly for those phones as well? Or once I upgrade for the Pre and my mother upgrades with her new phone, those phones will be out of line?
    You will have the same number of lines, they will just be using different phones. Once you activate the Pre and the phone from your uncle, your Instinct and your mom's current phone will be deactivated.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks so much Darth Mo!
    Wow, I should have done this last year... I am just upset that our phones are pretty much broken... if not I would have waited later on this year when the Pre2 will be "released".
    Might want to check with your local RadioShack store about a program called Wireless VIP - works essentially the same as Sprint Telesales. Probably should add with the added advantage that the price 'should' be lower at RS, due to instant rebates.
  17.    #17  
    Sure thing... could you go into detail about telesales and radioshack's program?
  18.    #18  
    Anyone?
    Well, I don't have any opinion on radio shack, but I have two different experiences to share with you. Use at your own risk.

First, my experience using Sprint:
    When I got my pre on release day, I did not have an available upgrade. My wife did. I wanted to use that upgrade to get my Pre. But because the Pre came with a $100 rebate, I had to keep the Pre on my wife's number until the rebate was paid. Or there was a risk that their system would disqualify me for the rebate. So for about 2 months, my wife & I switched phone numbers. Only to have to switch back, when the rebate came. IMHO, this was a major PITA.

Second, my experience using Best Buy Mobile:
    In November, my wife was having problems with her phone. By this time, I had an upgrade available on my line (since I didn't use it to upgrade to the Pre). However, this time, I went to Best Buy to get her new phone. Best Buy Mobile has gone to not requiring rebates, and seems to have better prices than Sprint stores (even after the rebate). The upgrade was incredibly simple. They did all the work. They used the upgrade from my line, and activated the phone on her line. I walked out of the store w/the phone working, on the correct line. I didn't have to wait 2 months with the wrong number. I didn't have to wait for a rebate. And I didn't have to wait for Sprint to ship me anything.

I suspect the radio shack experience will be similar to the best buy experience, since I believe that they don't do mail-in rebates anymore either.

The main point I'm making is this: if you're planning on using an upgrade from a different line, and sprint's best price includes a mail-in rebate, don't use sprint. Use either Best Buy (my personal preference from experience) or Radio Shack.

$0.02
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 01/19/2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  20.    #20  
    I was not planning on upgrading my line through Sprint, every time I go to Sprint I have to wait for up an hour, and then some more as they upgrade it. The woman that upgraded my phone last time dropped it twice and they didn't want to replace it since it was "already set", so I took it since it looked fine.

Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast