Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know why sprint does not offer an application that allows us to tether using our phone?
    because they dont offer a tethering plan.
    Because they want you to pay $60 a month for one of those wireless broadband aircards.
    Sprint doesn't want to give away something they plan to sell.

But if your interested it appears Internals is working on a tether solution of their own, not sure when it'll be available for us locals however.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Because they want you to pay $60 a month for one of those wireless broadband aircards.
    Don't forget that's for the first 5 Gigabyte per month. After that it's charged per byte.

When I asked a Sprint store clerk why there was no such cap on phones "The government makes us charge that way." I walked out seconds later.
    guys mytether free version works just fine. just follow the instructions and your set to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyvigi1985 View Post
    Does anyone know why sprint does not offer an application that allows us to tether using our phone?
    My guess is because they've found Palm devices difficult for simple minded CSR flunkies to wrap their heads around, and that adding a tethering plan to the mix would simply result in more/erroneous CSR outcomes causing more time on such calls and Sprint loosing money in the end. Sprint seems to be following more of a "Southwest Airlines" model of simplifying and standardizing things so that tasks can be done faster and by more people. It doesn't hurt that they can sell you a MiFi device and increase their ARPU (average revenue per user) either!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    sprint just doesn't want to hurt their sales on all their aircards and wifi hotspot routers but forget about mytether 1.5.1 or whatever go here Palm Pre My Tether 2.0.4 with installer for Windows & Mac - WeGeekedUp - Cable Modems, FTA Receivers, Movies, Music, Videos, Cell Phones, Windows, Mac, Software, Sports, Hip-Hop, News, Entertainment and download the 2.0.4 version for free...... yes you gotta jump through some hoops to get it working but i am tethering right now..... and i've called and ask a sprint rep. if you have "the simply everything plan" there is no cap on GB used like the aircard at 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Pretty much... On a second note, I bought an aircard last weekend :P

And its unlimited if you live in a 4G area(which will happen very soon in my case)
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    sprint just doesn't want to hurt their sales on all their aircards and wifi hotspot routers but forget about mytether 1.5.1 or whatever go here Palm Pre My Tether 2.0.4 with installer for Windows & Mac - WeGeekedUp - Cable Modems, FTA Receivers, Movies, Music, Videos, Cell Phones, Windows, Mac, Software, Sports, Hip-Hop, News, Entertainment and download the 2.0.4 version for free...... yes you gotta jump through some hoops to get it working but i am tethering right now..... and i've called and ask a sprint rep. if you have "the simply everything plan" there is no cap on GB used like the aircard at 5.
    Thanks honda07si,
    The hacker who developed MyTether initially started off as a user here (aonic) , but I don't see him posting here very often since he started charging a $14.95 donation to get the program you can get from free above. Normally I'd say to support the developer but Aonic hasn't communicated well with people regarding potential problems and never documents what to expect or how to use his program. Given this, I find little value to belong to his forum. Please beware that MyTether currently installs a "patch" (not recognized or removable by preware) to make it work and this disables the camera. The other issue is that Aonic's "patch" once applied causes games like NeedForSpeed and DOOM not to work (even after the patch is removed). You can search here for a .rar file which you can download from someone else (other than aonic) to fix things so games can still be played, but I'm a bit disappointed and I just want to warn people to have low expectations. MyTether actually does work but it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out how to correctly use it. If you are a technical person please feel free to go ahead. If you are new to networks you should probably wait until someone develops a program that is easier to use by "the masses".

PS: Thanks for the links above. They should save some people some $$.
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post

And its unlimited if you live in a 4G area(which will happen very soon in my case)
    Good 2 know! When 4G comes to Boston, this will definitely be worth the money!

yea it's unlimited to 5GB after that they start charging you... just a fair warning
    EDIT: changed comment: If 4G is unlimited, then as long as you can connect via 4G, this sounds like a good deal to me. I guess you'd want to have some kind of check in place to make sure you don't drop down to 3G and start getting close to or iver the cap.
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/18/2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: changed comment
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    not such a deal then (especially on 4G). thx 4 the warning
    yea i called sprint care and played 21 questions the other night at like 2 am..... and the whole time not saying why i'm asking all these questions lol

At first I thought you must have been misinformed but then I went to the sprint web site and looked at a side by side comparison, sure enough it says 3g has 5gb limit and 4g is unlimited. I am now wondering why that is. It is good to know though because my contract on the aircard I currently have is due to be renewed in a couple months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod2505 View Post
    At first I thought you must have been misinformed but then I went to the sprint web site and looked at a side by side comparison, sure enough it says 3g has 5gb limit and 4g is unlimited. I am now wondering why that is. It is good to know though because my contract on the aircard I currently have is due to be renewed in a couple months.
    Because 4g can carry so much more data as is not stressed like the 3g network!

Its all about bandwidth 3g is overloaded and 4g is new so not many people on it so no bandwidth issues, That will change in the future but it will take longer than it did to overload 3g because its capable of more data!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    yea it's unlimited to 5GB after that they start charging you... just a fair warning
    I didn't believe at first either so I went to the sprint web site, 4g is unlimited, if you have a 4g card but go into and area where only 3g is available then the 5gb limit still applys.

Anyway you can read for yourself.

Sprint - Define Region
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod2505 View Post
    I didn't believe at first either so I went to the sprint web site, 4g is unlimited, if you have a 4g card but go into and area where only 3g is available then the 5gb limit still applys.

Anyway you can read for yourself.

Sprint - Define Region
    well i now stand corrected lol the only thing i can figure is the sprint rep told me that it was 5GB limit on 4G because they don't offer 4G coverage anywhere near me in fact no where in VA haha
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Wish I was smart enough to get this to work
    I followed the instructions above and got everything to work. Tested out camera and NFS after unpatching and all went well. After I unplugged my pre from usb and reconnected it, it will only work in wi-fi mode. When I put in usb mode, my connection does not appear in winxp network connections anymore. How do I get it back?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast