Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So my Centro just broke, and Sprint was nice enough to move up my upgrade date 2 months so I can just get a new phone now. I have really wanted a pre. I know the Pre Plus hits Verizon soon, but I'm not really trying to switch carriers, on top of not being able to afford Verizon. Anybody see any reasons I shouldn't just get a Pre today, or should I hold off for a bit. I know people talk about the Pre 2 coming eventually, but there are no rumors or anything yet as far as I can tell. Just looking for a little input before I dive in.
    best bet would be to buy one off of craigslist or ebay in mint condition, i've seen them go as low as 140 mint. this way you don't have to renew your contract. and who knows maybe 6 months down the road they release a new version and you can pick up that because you'll be eligable to renew.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
  3.    #3  
    I'm on the old sero plan though, which I've heard they don't let you use with the Pre. If I just bought a Pre secondhand or whatever, would I just be able to activate it on my line with sero and not worry about upgrading my plan?
    oh tru i dont know, i would call them up and ask. i thought they claim you can change your plan at any time without having to renew. idk

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    My centro just died (well more got killed) last week, and I was at the same crossroads, I just said screw it and went with the pre. I didn't feel like messing around on Craigs with no warranty and all. Anyway I'm really happy I did, sometimes you just have to not worry about the future and live for the now. The phone is sooo much cooler then the centro, I'm amazed at everything it can do. That's just my path though.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    My centro just died (well more got killed) last week, and I was at the same crossroads, I just said screw it and went with the pre. I didn't feel like messing around on Craigs with no warranty and all. Anyway I'm really happy I did, sometimes you just have to not worry about the future and live for the now. The phone is sooo much cooler then the centro, I'm amazed at everything it can do. That's just my path though.
    Warranty.. what a joke.

I am on my second Pre with terrible screen blotches and it gets warm as hell, and they said that isn't covered under warranty.

Ya, warranty sure helps.. All teh effort palm put into making webOS great must have taken from building a quality device.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    That's pretty much exactly what I have been thinking. I just feel like I can't live my life waiting for technology to advance, I'd still have an old crt tv if that was the case.

digink: What's your take. You seem to have had some problems. That's the one thing I worry about most with the Pre. Build quality. So I really want to get the insurance with it so I have the peace of mind. Is yours a launch Pre? I have heard that the newer ones are better than the launch ones.
    I also have a centro and am eligible for an upgrade. My centro is still as good as day 1 so I think I am going to ride the SERO train for a little longer and upgrade when something new hits this summer.
    no Pre on SERO.
    There are many Pre's out there that are performing fine, we have 3 launch day Pre's and have not had any hardware issues with them. The problem with forums is that people with problems search them out, not a true representation of the product. In June I can upgrade my Pre if want to, but a Pre Plus would not be enough to make me upgrade, I see myself perfectly happy with my Pre untill a new phone with significant improvements comes along.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Same here - Ive got Centro on SERO which is up this week. Wife has Instinct, though she is P|M so she can upgrade anytime now.

Why, Palm, why the shoddy hardware?

Only thing holding me back right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by flash4o View Post
    Same here - Ive got Centro on SERO which is up this week. Wife has Instinct, though she is P|M so she can upgrade anytime now.

Why, Palm, why the shoddy hardware?

Only thing holding me back right now...
    its not THAT bad.

we have ~300,000 members here. not all of them own a Pre, but even so, take that number and ratio it to the amount of Pre's sold and then take into account the number of people complaining about the build quality. it's not that high in the grand scheme.

also, there was a poll a little while back about how many times you needed a replacement or whatnot, and it was a landslide of people who had NO problems versus those who did.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    My suggestion is just to get an used Centro off Craigslist. I just sold one and have seen many going around. So it is cheap and you have the option of waiting for the new model.

I sold my old Centro for $50, but that's with car charger and a few extra stuff.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I think the general "shoddyness" in the pre is about the same as the centro. I beat the crap out of mine, and finally killed it after over 2 years by slamming it (hard) into my car door as it was falling out of my pocket. On the other hand my friend is on his 3rd centro in under 2 years. Also the creeky feeling the battery door gave you on the centro is present in the pre. That said I think it'll easily outlive my 2 year contract.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=chud311;2161728]its not THAT bad.

we have ~300,000 members here. not all of them own a Pre, but even so, take that number and ratio it to the amount of Pre's sold and then take into account the number of people complaining about the build quality. it's not that high in the grand scheme.

youre right; maybe im being harsh. after all, my Centro has been solid for 2 years. not baby-ed but not kicked around.

these forums are great, but they tend to cause some unwarranted fear ya know.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash4o View Post

youre right; maybe im being harsh. after all, my Centro has been solid for 2 years. not baby-ed but not kicked around.

these forums are great, but they tend to cause some unwarranted fear ya know.
    exactly. it's easy to fall into the negative mindset when the negative posts outweigh the positive.

not to say the phone doesn't have it's build issues, but for a first generation device, made of plastic and moving parts, it's not that bad.

i still say a lot of it has to do with the users and their neglect for their possessions.

my Dad just got a new phone last week and it's already filthy and a bit dinged up. my Pre is 5 months old and has never been dropped and doesn't have a mark on it. if i took the Phantom Skin off, it would look like it was right out of the box. and i use it A LOT.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I can't believe no one has said this already, but yes, wait! Get it on Verizon, and enjoy the better build quality—the quality, mind you, that should've been there in the Pre's on Sprint from the beginning. Are Verizon's plans more money? Yes, but the tradeoff is a better working phone. And since in the grand scheme of things, $15-$25 extra every month isn't a whole heckuva lot, you're better off getting a better phone. I'm on my 7th Pre, which is almost 1 Pre for every month it's been out. My latest one has issues, but I'm sick of sending the cursed thing in to Palm, TBH. It's hard for phone's with sliders and such to last their entire carrier-mandated-existence of two years before having issues, so keep that in mind while making your decision.
    saving 10 to 25 dollars a month over the course of a year or two years is more important to some people.

besides, 7 Pre's, or any phone, in that month of time, is suspect moreso to user error than bad luck.
    I just upgraded from a Centro a few weeks ago, and I personally thought the Centro was next to bullet proof(went through ALOT of crap and worked flawlessly).

The Pre though on the other hand is a little more fragile it feels, but it doesnt stop me from treating it the same as I did my Centro, so far so good. Ill tell ya what though, going from the Centro to the Pre, is AMAZING. Id say go for the sprint Pre, unless you dont mind paying a little more a month for Verizon, and snag the Pre Plus.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feyded1020 View Post
    I just upgraded from a Centro a few weeks ago, and I personally thought the Centro was next to bullet proof(went through ALOT of crap and worked flawlessly).

The Pre though on the other hand is a little more fragile it feels, but it doesnt stop me from treating it the same as I did my Centro, so far so good. Ill tell ya what though, going from the Centro to the Pre, is AMAZING. Id say go for the sprint Pre, unless you dont mind paying a little more a month for Verizon, and snag the Pre Plus.
    That's the response I'm looking for...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast