1.    #1  
    Ok so I'm switching to Verizon to get the Palm Pre Plus. I'm getting a family plan so it will actually be pretty cheap. If it wasn't going to be cheaper I wouldn't have switched.

Anyhow....when I get the new phone will I still have all of my apps? Provided I use the same Palm Profile account? Is there an "easy" way to back up text messages and restore them.

Thanks in advance.
    i have had to get a couple of pres spaced out over the course of about 6 months and every time i got a new one all my contacts and apps were there for me. i did lose my sms, pics and things like that. the verizon store should be able to pull them from your old palm device at least pics, the sms i am not sure
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    I believe you can backup those files as they are all located in a special directory that will be easily extracted once you run a cmd from, say, quick installer.

This is for Text and SMS

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ng-phones.html

Props to MatthiasII

1) You will need to have rooted your Pre.
    2) Copy /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal
    3) Connect via USB (or SFTP) and copy PalmDatabase.db3 to your computer.
    4) Switch out Pre's!
    5) Move the PalmDatabase.db3 back to the USB drive on your new Pre
    5) Backup the current PalmDatabase.db3 (make sure the filesystem is in RW mode) [mv /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3.old]
    6) Move your old database to the correct postion [mv /media/internal/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3]
    7) Switch back to Read-Only mode
    8) Reset the Pre
    9) ...
    10) Profit!

I've used this method before when Palm was having that Profile issue before and didn't want to risk loosing my contacts.

Hope this helps
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    The specific question applies to switching service providers. I would imagine that since your profile is a palm profile that it would be available regardless of network (Sprint or Verizon). You might contact Palm in advance to ensure the profile will be available for however many days you will need while you transition from Sprint to Verizon.

I'm sure there is some method for Palm to clean out "unused" profiles and you want to ensure you are within that time.

GL on Verizon, glad your staying with Palm
    I know that, that since palm is technically supporting only one OS, I would imagine this will work for him just fine. Besides. Palm Profile does not backup Text
    I call bs. With all the easy to find 25% corporate discounts there is no earthly way verizon is cheaper.

In fact, when anyone does the math verizon is always more.
    Word, I just ignored that line, as its the simple fact that VZ always has a hard time matching anyone in Price. Thats what keeps me out of VZ stores.
    I agree, be careful. Read the details... Are you getting unlimited texting and data? Sprint's M2M now is like unlimited call time as well... I nearly did this but called Sprint first and got a 20$ reduction in current plan... so even better. With a little patience we'll surely get the Plus on Sprint, if not something better. Palm loves parity.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I agree are you reading all the fine print etc? Like smartphone require the $30 data plan, Gps is 9.99, unlimited text? are you going with enough minutes to get the 5 number free etc?
  10.    #10  
    its a family plan...my share is $50 so its cheaper for me.

four of us are going on a plan and the total will be about $200. I'm paying $50. two of us are getting data gps etc and two are not.
  11.    #11  
    im not gonna worry about the texts.....will my apps still be intact?
    On Sprint, a 4 line family plan would run you about $175 before tax - the easy-to-find 25% corporate discount which brings it down to about $132. Split 4 ways makes it about $33 to you.

That includes unlimited data/text and free calls to all cell phones.

But... it sounds like your pretty sold on paying $50. To answer your question, I don't think anyone can answer for sure except Palm. I would be very surprised if your apps didn't transfer over. Then again, I have heard rumors about Verizon running their own app store. If that's true, then you can only redownload the apps you had on Sprint if Verizon approves them first.
  13.    #13  
    i understand your trying to help but everyone else (in the fam plan) is on verizon.

Right now I pay about $85 inc tax including TEP. so $50 is good for me . I could have gotten sprint for $49 + tax if I stayed but it's just easier for me to pay the $50 total.