Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ironwkrjuan View Post
    Dont worry....Palm will catch up when the world has had enough of the word iphone.... and that day is commming....
    I agree with all of what you said ironwkrjuan except for this last bit. The sales figures for teh iphone are consistently going up and they are yet to all all the possible markets i.e. just moved into China. The 3Gs was a roaring success as recent sales figures attest. So there is no evidence (currently) to show thet the day is coming. Also you have to assume that Apple will not sit back for long and will improve on each model. I agree that you can't be number 1 forever but don't see their increase in market share abating anytime over the next 3 years. The fight 3-5 years will be amongst all other providers and whilst I agree there are multiple market segments (i.e. the iPhone is not for everyone) there are a lot of customers who have yet to buy one and a lot of those will surely buy one in the next 3 years. I am hoping that Palm make good with a great ad campaign because as per your analogy I think Palm is the Honda of smart phones.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Hey brother. The answers to your question(s) are simple ones. Android was out for a much longer period than WebOs. So there was nothing to leap frog. Secondly, Android has something like 50 million gagillion catrillion manufactures that introduced several phones on multiple carriers before WebOs devices even surfaced. You have about 50 android phones coming out this year and more in the coming years. Its the new WinMob in terms of that.

After reading multiple sources over the last several months the simplicity of WebOs and the Iphone UI seems to be a recurring theme when compared to Android. Palm will need to advertise more. When individuals walk into Verizon and ATT they'll be able to see the simplicity for themselves. Those two things will be critical in helping to bring more people to Palm devices.

But to be sure Verizon is important but its a marathon not a sprint and I believe that is Palm's approach to their turnaround.

Very good points Playboy and I mentioned recently that I got the release of Android wrong in terms of it compared to Palm's WebOS. I also agree that this is not a sprint but the thing going against Palm is that they don't currently have the cash reserves for the long fight so whilst they say they are in it for the long haul I expect the only way this will eventuate is for additional cash injections. The problem is stories of these constant cash injections raises enough doubt in many potential buyers to dampen their willigness to buy. I good strategy would be to dispel the constant mentions of this cash issue and get more cash quickly or increase sales very quickly
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I dont think the Verizon deal is that critical at all. As I have said several times in the past .....

Palm has always been a small, cult, niche company. They have always had great products but never more the 2000 employees. Thats not going to change. Palm will always be the number 4 or 5 smartphone on the market. Even if there was "iphone like demand" for the Pre there is no way they could ever deliver even a 10th of that demand. Its just not their business model or within their capabilities and quite frankly, they dont need to.

If you want to use the most popular smartphone out there then you better jump ship now because thats never going to be Palm. The smartphone market is growing so fast that if Palm just maintains a small piece of the pie they will be very healthy and make plenty of profit. All they have to do is keep moving forward producing good hardware and keep developing WebOS.
    Hey RC46, I want a pre but live in Australia so no luck here unless I try and get a GSM version from abroad. Like many Aussie's that is not a very palatable option (returns etc).

Anyway I agree that the market is growing and that Palm don't need to be the most popular but one thing is very clear until they earn more than they spend (which has yet to happen) they run the danger of going out of business. When they announced their figures (not the last time but the time before that) it was clear the cash burn rate would mean that they would be out of cash within 18 months tops. So I don't care what they rank in market share I just want them to be profitable so we have a long future with WebOS under Palm.

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's not sales on Verizon that is critical for Palm. It's simply being on Verizon. That the number one carrier would start selling Palms again is huge for Palm. It helps build the brand back up because it's really a different market Palm is going for than the past which is the general consumer..same as iphone.

Being on AT&T as well will further help Palm's image. I'm not being very global minded here, but most of Palm's revenue comes from the US.

For better or worse, Sprint has positioned themselves as a third rate low end carrier. Palm had to get on one of the top two.
    Hey Cardfan, sales will reduce the cashburn (see my recent postings in this thread). Great PRPRPR $from$ $Verizon$ $will$ $undoubtedly$ $help$ $but$ $this$ $must$ $translate$ $into$ $sales$. $US$ $is$ $the$ $best$ $market$ $to$ $focus$ $on$ $for$ $Palm$ $right$ $now$ ($along$ $with$ $the$ $few$ $others$). $I$ $agree$ $it$ $is$ $not$ $a$ $very$ $global$ $view$ $but$ $whatever$ $they$ $need$ $to$ $do$ $to$ $get$ $financially$ $healthy$ $is$ $good$ $in$ $my$ $books$. $I$ $live$ $in$ $Australia$ $and$ $will$ $have$ $to$ $wait$ $probably$ $three$ $years$ $before$ $I$ $see$ $a$ $WebOS$ $phone$ $here$. $So$ $before$ $I$ $commit$ $to$ $buying$ $from$ $overseas$ $and$ $run$ $the$ $complication$ $of$ $returns$/$service$ $I$ $want$ $to$ $at$ $least$ $feel$ $the$ $device$ $has$ $a$ $future$ $as$ $I$ $want$ $to$ $be$ $in$ $it$ $for$ $the$ $long$ $haul$ $also$.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12