1.    #1  
    FYI, I'm not too familiar with the whole forum posting/searching process so i tried to do what i could before posting this. Is there a way to set the generic(not tied to a specific contact) ringtone for incoming calls and texts so that they are not the same tone? Preferably, can this be accomplished without homebrew? Oh, I do know how to change the tones...but curious as to being able to set them seperately
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyno2 View Post
    FYI, I'm not too familiar with the whole forum posting/searching process so i tried to do what i could before posting this. Is there a way to set the generic(not tied to a specific contact) ringtone for incoming calls and texts so that they are not the same tone? Preferably, can this be accomplished without homebrew? Oh, I do know how to change the tones...but curious as to being able to set them seperately
    The only way I know is with a patch...I use SMS Tone per Contact, 'cause I also like setting individual messaging ringers for people, but there is also another patch called Select Alert and Notification Tones that should be what you are after. You may be forced to Homebrew to have this option, at least for now.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    you can only set them up for incoming calls you will need a patch for the txt.
  4.    #4  
    Homebrew is kinda the way i was thinking i'd have to go. My Pre is still naked so im looking more and more into homebrew anyway. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Homebrew is kinda the way i was thinking i'd have to go. My Pre is still naked so im looking more and more into homebrew anyway. Thanks!
    Do it! Do it!
    Maybe I'm not understanding the question ... but in my current release (1.3.5.1) there's a field in the Messaging app under the Preferences menu that lets you sets a ringtone specifically for messages. The (separate) generic ringtone for phone calls is in 'Sounds & Ringtones'.

Is that not what the OP wants?

Also, FWIW, there's a 'Help' app on the Pre that actually covers most of the basic functions pretty well. I found the bit about Messaging by searching for 'ringtone'.
    Oops. Forgot about that field...been using SMS tone per contact for so long I never think about looking anywhere else.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  8.    #8  
    i didnt even think to look under the messaging app by itself. i was only looking in the sounds and ringtones section. That got it though so thanx!