Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I had a problem with my debit being accepted at first.
    I completely deleted the entry from credit card (also visa) instead of editing the details as I had been.

I printed out a statement and ensured all the information appeared the exact same way as I added my details to my palm profile.
    I'm just telling you how debit cards work, as I used to do a lot of work on the processing side of debit/credit transactions. It could be an issue with the processor or with Sprint (probably with Sprint). FYI, even if you can see that your name and address is exact, it still may not match up to what is actually encoded on the card, especially if you have a long name or address. Name/Address mismatches occur frequently and do block transactions. Have you tried calling Sprint? They would be able to see what that code means. It's probably an issue on Sprint's side and nothing to do with it being a debit card. I'm sure people are getting that error regardless of debit or credit card used.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The zip code you are using could be an issue. When I first tried to open an iTunes account they wouldn't accept my Debit card saying it was not valid. It turned out that BoA didn't use my actual home address zip code as the billing zip code on the card - instead they used the nearest Post Office's zip code which was not the same as mine. Call your bank and see if they are doing something similar.
    My bank swears that the address they verified with me is the one "associated with the card" - which, yes, is different (cosmetically) from the one associated with my bank account.

Sprint doesn't have anything to do with the App Store, IIRC. Palm states that the error message I got (PMT04001) indicates a problem with the billing address, but they also stated that:

3:30 PM Matt: I am sorry, you can only use the Visa Credit cards to purchase the applications.
    (As opposed to Debit Cards)

So... I don't know who else to call to "verify" my card's address. Visa doesn't really have a help line for that when the card is issued by the bank... Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    if you've really tried everything you possibly can, use your credit card.

or buy a prepaid visa.
    I meant to contact Palm. Are you abbreviating and/or putting periods in your address? Match it up exactly as they told you it reads (i.e. Drive, Dr, Dr., Street, St, St.). There shouldn't be any periods but sometimes it can. If your card is a Visa and starts with a 4, it doesn't differentiate whether or not it's a debit card if it is put through as a credit transaction.
    do you have money in your account?
    Uh oh, you're asking for some more reiteration
    Do yourselves a favor though and use a credit card instead. Like menioned earlier, it has protection against unautharized transactions and disputing transactions is a lot easier. Most debit cards do no have any protection at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveMax View Post
    My bank swears that the address they verified with me is the one "associated with the card" - which, yes, is different (cosmetically) from the one associated with my bank account.

Sprint doesn't have anything to do with the App Store, IIRC. Palm states that the error message I got (PMT04001) indicates a problem with the billing address, but they also stated that:

(As opposed to Debit Cards)

So... I don't know who else to call to "verify" my card's address. Visa doesn't really have a help line for that when the card is issued by the bank... Any thoughts?
    Here's the deal... (I do this for a living and see it a lot)... Palm accepts debit/signature cards and credit cards equally - they have to as it is required by Visa and MasterCard. Because of risk regulations within the processing systems (keeping it simple) - what MUST match in your address is the building number and zip code (the street name isn't as important). These two items must match exactly with your billing address.

Example: Let's say the billing address your bank has on file for your card is 234 South Main Drive, Anytown, St 54321. You enter your card information for 234S Main, Anytown, ST 54321... the fact that you didn't write 'Drive' after the addres doesn't matter. What matters is the building number (in red) will not match because it isn't identical to what is on file and will cause a 'decline'. That's just one example... if you live in the country and have a fire-lane number (ie: 23w843 Hwy 14) it complicates things a bit because only the numbers before the directional would be the match for your card (23 in this case).

You said above that the address your bank has on file differs only "cosmetically" to your actual address. What does that mean? Is there a difference between the two? The info you enter must be an exact match for building number and zipcode (5-digit only) and the CVV2 (security) number on the back of your card. If any of these are off, you will get a decline. (The $1 charge you saw appear and disappear on your statement was only a pre-authorization on the card to verify).

If you want, PM me and we can chat off-line and see if I can get it sorted out for you without getting too much info brought in the forums.

Oh.. BTW... there are 2 types of debit cards out there and only one will work. Only debit cards with a Visa or MasterCard logo on them (called Signature Cards) will work for transactions. If there is no logo it is a basic debit card which is only for use at an ATM. (basic info, I know.. but some people still don't realize this.)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    do you have money in your account?
    Doesn't matter... on a debit card transaction, the bank will allow the sale through even if there isn't enough of a balance to cover. The banks love doing this for you because they can then charge you an over-draft fee (averaging $35) for each transaction they cover. Over-drawing your account isn't a problem to the banks as they will cover it up to a couple hundred bucks and charge you heavily for that 'service'.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Here's the deal... (I do this for a living and see it a lot)... Palm accepts debit/signature cards and credit cards equally - they have to as it is required by Visa and MasterCard. Because of risk regulations within the processing systems (keeping it simple) - what MUST match in your address is the building number and zip code (the street name isn't as important). These two items must match exactly with your billing address.

Example: Let's say the billing address your bank has on file for your card is 234 South Main Drive, Anytown, St 54321. You enter your card information for 234S Main, Anytown, ST 54321... the fact that you didn't write 'Drive' after the addres doesn't matter. What matters is the building number (in red) will not match because it isn't identical to what is on file and will cause a 'decline'. That's just one example... if you live in the country and have a fire-lane number (ie: 23w843 Hwy 14) it complicates things a bit because only the numbers before the directional would be the match for your card (23 in this case).

You said above that the address your bank has on file differs only "cosmetically" to your actual address. What does that mean? Is there a difference between the two? The info you enter must be an exact match for building number and zipcode (5-digit only) and the CVV2 (security) number on the back of your card. If any of these are off, you will get a decline. (The $1 charge you saw appear and disappear on your statement was only a pre-authorization on the card to verify).

If you want, PM me and we can chat off-line and see if I can get it sorted out for you without getting too much info brought in the forums.

Oh.. BTW... there are 2 types of debit cards out there and only one will work. Only debit cards with a Visa or MasterCard logo on them (called Signature Cards) will work for transactions. If there is no logo it is a basic debit card which is only for use at an ATM. (basic info, I know.. but some people still don't realize this.)
    HelloNNNewman,

Thanks for the reply. When I say "cosmetically", I mean that the bank has some periods in my address, and the "card address" they gave me doesn't. The bank also uses "#____" for my apartment number, and the card, "Apt ____". Nothing which impacts what you mentioned.

Additionally, both the building number and the zip code were verified with the bank as correct. There IS a "north" in the street name, but it's separated and spelled out in every iteration of my address I can find in the system. I've verified that the info you've highlighted has been entered correctly, and it's still not accepting it.

My Debit Card is one of the "signature" cards with a Visa logo - I've run it as a credit card successfully many times.

I'll send you my address and see if you have any thoughts regarding what's going wrong...
    OMG. This happens to me too! I called both Palm and Bank of American (I have a Visa Debit Card) and they couldn't figure it out!

I WANT TO BUY APPS PEOPLE! WHAT THE ****

This is so incredibly frustrating. Everything IS matching!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    sometimes it can be as simple as making sure the match phone number has hyphens in it.

e.g. xxx-ooo-xxxx

happened to me once.
    Already tried the # fix. No diff.
  16. s4l
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I have the same problem, Any help guys?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12