1.    #1  
    hello all!

i'm thinking of buying a pre, but have a few questions for you experienced folks.

1) is it possible to sync multiple gmail accounts to the Pre? I have a few and need this on my phone

2) is it true that the phone is really slow? a co-worker of mine had one and warned me against it because the device lagged a lot. i went into a sprint store and the rep told me the same thing. he said that initially out of the box the device is fine, but once you sync emails, calendar, etc it slows down a LOT, and suggested a Samsung Moment.

would i be better off with a motorola droid/samsung moment since speed is important for me? or another suggestion?

3) how is the battery life? i've heard some people say it's bad, but some people say it's average, what's the verdict? the sprint rep said that carrying an extra battery is helpful but that switching out batteries and then restarting the phone is a longggg process. is reboot slow?

thanks a lot for all your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinum0908 View Post
    hello all!

i'm thinking of buying a pre, but have a few questions for you experienced folks.

1) is it possible to sync multiple gmail accounts to the Pre? I have a few and need this on my phone

2) is it true that the phone is really slow? a co-worker of mine had one and warned me against it because the device lagged a lot. i went into a sprint store and the rep told me the same thing. he said that initially out of the box the device is fine, but once you sync emails, calendar, etc it slows down a LOT, and suggested a Samsung Moment.

would i be better off with a motorola droid/samsung moment since speed is important for me? or another suggestion?

3) how is the battery life? i've heard some people say it's bad, but some people say it's average, what's the verdict?

1) Yes and it is very easy to do

2) It is not as quick as Android, iPhone or BB OS. That being said, it can multitask a lot better than any of those other operating systems. It will take a 2-3 seconds to open up an app, but then you never need to close it because of WebOS's multitasking abilities. Since update 1.3.5 WebOS has been much snappier, so your co-worker may have had experiences on the earlier versions of WebOS. Also, WebOS is really a joy to use. One more thing about WebOS is that it gets frequent updates (more than once a month) so it is constantly evolving and getting better and unlike android, all WebOS devices get the update.

3) Battery life depends a lot on how you use the phone. All smart phones have battery issues. The Pre will get about 12 hrs if you have medium use during a day. If you get a bigger after-market batter you can bump that up quite a bit.

I love my Pre and I would recommend it to anyone. I would suggest taking it home for a day or two and playing with it and seeing what you think. If you don't like it, return it and try something else.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    here, here I love my pre & it gets faster and faster with every software update.

only true multitasking smartphone if you ask me.
    Last edited by Davidm1519; 01/17/2010 at 06:43 PM.
    "I could calculate your chances of survival, but your not gonna like it." Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    >>>>>> My WoW Fan Site <<<<<<
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    1) yes. i dont know if theres a limit.
    2) sometimes. but it gets faster every update. calendar takes a few seconds to load, but now to switch between days is under 1 sec. same with texting etc.

However, i think it's this way with all touchscreen phones. my friend's samsung moment isn't "faster" than my pre.

The only exception to fast phones are iphones and blackberrys.

3) you can pick up an extended battery if battery life is an issue. however i find battery life is on par with my friend's htc touch pro 2 and samsung moment. for your multiple push gmail's (ive found gmail to drain more battery than exchange) id guess the battery lasts 12 hours, with other setting turned low.

restarting takes under 2 minutes, usually 90 seconds for me. you dont have to shut down the phone if its connected to the power outlet.

however, extended battery might be helpful
    (im going to buy a double capacity battery for these very issues)
    Hmmm. That's odd. I checked out a Pre at Best Buy and I thought it was the snappiest phone compared to the iPhone. And you can't really compare the speed of the Pre to Android. There is so much Variance on that platform it's ridiculous. Not every Android phone is a Droid or Nexus. And, I didn't really find the Droid to be as snappy as the iPhone or Pre to tell you the truth.
    hello all!

3) how is the battery life? i've heard some people say it's bad, but some people say it's average, what's the verdict? the sprint rep said that carrying an extra battery is helpful but that switching out batteries and then restarting the phone is a longggg process. is reboot slow?

Go for it!
    1. i have multiple emails set up for my phone
    2. i don't think it's slow. and you can multiple apps at one time.
    3. the battery won't last worth anything if you use your phone non stop all day. but they do make extended batteries for the pre. But if you don't use is all day and are in a good service area it'll last. Restarting or starting the phone period does take what seems like forever but it's worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    1) Yes and it is very easy to do

2) It is not as quick as Android, iPhone or BB OS. That being said, it can multitask a lot better than any of those other operating systems. It will take a 2-3 seconds to open up an app, but then you never need to close it because of WebOS's multitasking abilities. Since update 1.3.5 WebOS has been much snappier, so your co-worker may have had experiences on the earlier versions of WebOS. Also, WebOS is really a joy to use. One more thing about WebOS is that it gets frequent updates (more than once a month) so it is constantly evolving and getting better and unlike android, all WebOS devices get the update.

3) Battery life depends a lot on how you use the phone. All smart phones have battery issues. The Pre will get about 12 hrs if you have medium use during a day. If you get a bigger after-market batter you can bump that up quite a bit.

I love my Pre and I would recommend it to anyone. I would suggest taking it home for a day or two and playing with it and seeing what you think. If you don't like it, return it and try something else.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I would just like to add that the updates that come along are great, and the phone just keeps getting faster.

I usually charge my phone overnight, and then again before I go out. I really use the heck out of my phone though, so I am considering the 2600 extended battery. In the mean time, I have taken to carrying a spare, just in case. I have yet to use it though due to my charging habits.

All in all, I would highly recommend the Pre. As has been stated, WebOS is simply amazing, and once you spend a couple of days with it and get used to the multitasking functionality of the Pre, I think you'll be quite pleased. And it not, you can always take it back.
    1. yes
    2. not bad. and upgrade really improved significantly
    3. 8 to 14 hrs depends on usage, signal strength, email setting, etc
    1) Yes.

2) No, unless you do lot's of patching and hacking and then update without a full reset.

3) It sucks, but it sucks about the same as every other smart phone on the planet.
    1) Yep

2) We have 3 Pre's in our family and the speed is fine on all of our phones.

3) The battery life is fine, like any smartphone, if you have the screen lit for long extended periods and surfing the net, the battery can run down in 4 to 5 hours but under normal use our phones go all day with no problems. I think one of Palm Pre's best feature is the Touchstone Charging dock. I have one at home and one in my car, such a nice convenience!
    also. Pre's battery is exchangeable, you can get extra battery from ebay for $10 each
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    1. yes
    2. I usually don't have much trouble with things slowing down. Occasionally I'll have the phone freeze for a moment when launching an app but that's about it.
    3. Reboot is slow, but the battery life is decent for the amount I use my phone. Over time I have gotten used to it. Depends person to person.
    First of all, Complex Pants's answer was really great and spot-on!

Others have answered this. (I only sync a single gmail account, but I like that I can use IMAP sync. The gmail experience of the Pre is nice, but it does not have features like labels, etc.

2) is it true that the phone is really slow?
    In my opinion, one would have made this determination before WebOS 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1. It's pretty good now. Tell that Sprint rep he should stay current on the phones rather than just parroting back what [s]he used to know!

They might be cool, but since Android comes in many flavors, you might want to see some assurance that the phone vendor is going to "stay current" with phone releases. My guess is you'll get something maybe once or twice during the "normal lifetime" of those phones. Maybe more, but you'd be relying on Sprint, Samsung, or Motorola to push those out. Research your expectation of what the "real answer" is likely to be here and decide whether you can live with that.

WebOS is improving all the time and faster than most of us expected it would (given Palm's size as a company). In my opinion, they are doing the things they need at the pace they need to in order to survive in this marketplace.

The last thing I want to say on "speed" concerns the calendar. Because it syncs so well with the cloud(s), it might be slower than something that doesn't. If you are away from your computer alot and need blazing speed, look elsewhere for now. It's not bad, but the WebOS calendar functionality is not as rich as things were on the Treos and the old PalmOS. Keep in mind that this was Palm's past bread and butter and it's still in their DNA. I expect you might see richer PIM functionality around whenever WebOS 2.0 comes out (which I'm guessing might be around mid 2010). You have to make your own determination here. I'm around both phones and computers a lot and I use both Google Calendar and the calendar on the phone with no loss in speed of getting things done.

3) how is the battery life? i've heard some people say it's bad, but some people say it's average, what's the verdict?
    Set your expectations really low on this front. Most people find ways to configure their email, etc. so that it's more battery efficient. I did no tweaks at all and as long as I have a charger at home/work I'm usually fine with the stock battery. If you plan to use Sprint Navigation (free on your device, decent size screen on the Pre) you'll want a car charger as this sucks a lot of juice. The good news is that most people who need more juice can get through the day with a single 1350 or 1400 mAh battery. A 2600 mAh battery is available for those who need more but your phone won't feel like a Pre anymore. You can sort this out after you see how much juice you need.

Lastly, the Pre can be charge with a Touchstone back. Most people who have these really like them and they have a cool factor you can't get elsewhere!

Good Luck!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Since everyone else had done such a great job answering the OP's questions, there's not much I can add except: Try it, you'll like it (I was hooked after an hour).

@sudoer any particular reason for the name change?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    @sudoer any particular reason for the name change?
    Mainly because I just want to better separate my online and real lives.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Makes perfect sense.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    What Blaize said! Buy it and be happy. Don't buy it and forever wonder if you made a mistake.
    The pre is such a good phone but its not appealing to the masses because of advertising. What they need to do is come out with a nifty commercial in the Superbowl maybe the kid from Family guy using a pre over i phone. That would really get some hype going for this phone.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    What Blaize said! Buy it and be happy. Don't buy it and forever wonder if you made a mistake.
    +1