Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm paying $10 for Best Buy black tie coverage with no deductable. However, they won't cover a lost or stolen phone.

I've already had to replace my Pre once with it. I had to wait 2 weeks for my replacement because their warehouse was out at the moment. Other than that it was a good experience. You'll always end up getting a brand new Pre too. Just make sure they're sending it out with the RapidExchange program otherwise your wait might be rather long
    I get the insurance, only because I'd rather deal with Sprint than some random Craigslist reseller.

Then again, I'm typing this on a computer I bought off of Craigslist. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    I think you can only add insurance within 30 days of purchasing a new phone.
    I added it to a phone I had had for 2 years with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    7*24=168 +100 deductible is 268 to replace phone once.

add 100 dollars for each subsequent replacement w/in 2 years.

However, You get a 1 year manufacturer's warranty on your phone for all phone defects.

you can find a new pre on ebay for 250. used run for less.

so to me it doesnt make sense to get it b/c i generally take good care of my phones.

p.s. definately not worth it for a family plan since you pay (x amount of lines)*168 + deductible to cover one phone. use the 1 yr manufacturer window w/in on year. after that year, you could do the ebay/used phone to cover you until your next contract.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I am paying it after I lost my Treo 600 and had to pay full price for 650. 650 is a much better phone anyway, but I paid close to $600 for it. Ouch. Maybe Pre is cheaper on Craigslist or eBay, but if my phone is lost or dead, I cannot wait until there is a use one show up there. $7 a month is kind of expensive, but I least I bleed slowly.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I didn't originally - after 7 years of paying for this and never having to use it, I figured it seemed like a waste of money... Two weeks after getting the phone, I dropped it on asphalt. It didn't damage it, but my next stop was Sprint to get the TEP put on my account.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I have the fix and repair plan
    Check other insurance carriers, especially whatever carrier has your home/auto/renters/whatever coverage. My local State Farm agent, with whom I already had renters and auto insurance, covers my Pre and my wife's Pre as well under a "Personal Articles Policy" that I already had for my firearms. Covering damage/loss/theft/everything, zero deductible, $48 per year for both phones.

They won't cover cell phones everywhere, but when they will, it's BY FAR the best deal.

As far as how they handle claims, I thankfully don't know yet. But I might find out soon, as my wife thinks she may have lost her phone yesterday, so I may have to report back on that one. *fingers crossed that she didn't lose it, and it's just in the couch or something*
    Quote Originally Posted by joejoe1 View Post
    ...you can find a new pre on ebay for 250. used run for less.

so to me it doesnt make sense to get it b/c i generally take good care of my phones.
    But you can never be sure that the person you're buying from on c/l or ebay has...
    this is the first smartphone, or any phone, of many many many that i have insurance on only because i'm new to Sprint and don't have a backup that's compatible.

when i move on to the next phone, no matter what it is and as long as i still have a Pre, i wont insure it.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Wow.. I am surprised so many people have added insurance. I've never had insurance on any phone with Sprint for the past 12+ years (might be longer, I've been with Sprint FOREVER). I've NEVER lost a phone, broke a phone, or had a phone break on me during that period. Granted, I'm quite careful with my stuff.. But thats $7x12x12 = $1008.00 saved. Considering I could probably buy a refurb for like $150 or less, I could blow up like 7 of these things before I would have broken even..

Also, much of what the people said in this thread they have had replaced would have been done under warranty. So having TEP was essentially worthless in that regard.. you would have gotten it fixed either way.

But, to each their own.. if it makes you feel better to throw away money, go ahead..
    yeah i think most stuff happens within the first year. If you get through that period with a device it's probably good for the 2-3 years you got in contract.
    I added insurance but then I took it off because I realized that I have yet to break or drop or lose a phone in the 7 years of owning one. Couple that with the one-year upgrades, and I should be good to go.
    I pay it. peace of mind. 2-3 replacements a year = worth it.
    Insurance is a great peace of mind to have. Had it ever since my centro and only had to use it once in 2 years, but everything was covered and good to go. Plus I do a lot of awkward lifting in my job and with my phone in my pocket there is always a good chance that it can get hit and cracked. Been there done that not fun having a cracked screen. Even if I never have to take advantage of the insurance its still nice to know that if I need to, its there.
    With yearly upgrades available now, it's best to keep the insurance for the first year and then dump it. That way, if you lose or destroy the phone in the first year it's at most:

$4 x 12 + 100 = $148 for a replacement phone.

If nothing happens to the phone, you're only out $50. After the first year, just upgrade the phone if it's busted. Seems like a reasonable deal to me to risk $50 and potentially another $100 over paying $500 for a brand new phone...
    I bought Square trade for my Ebay Pre.
    I think it was $25 year but does not cover Loss or damage.
    If it was a newly purchased item ,they have a full policy that covers loss, damage ,malfunction for not much more money.
    A lot cheaper than Sprint or Bestbuy and no deductible.
    Im not sure how good they are at claims though.
    I just replaced my lost Pre with Asurion. Service was one day and i paid the $100 deductible. However, I learned I can, for $42 a year add $600 coverage per phone (wife's and Mine) on my St Farm homeowners coverage. No deductible. To replace lost or damaged phone I can go to a Sprint store , buy and inspect a new one ( vs refurb) immediately. Insurance will reimburse me for whatever I paid.
    Savings per year $7x12mos x2 phones = 168 with asurion vs $42 for both from St Farm. Sounds too god to be true? My agent is trustworthy , but I would love confirmation if anyone has gone this route?
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    With yearly upgrades available now, it's best to keep the insurance for the first year and then dump it. That way, if you lose or destroy the phone in the first year it's at most:

$4 x 12 + 100 = $148 for a replacement phone.

If nothing happens to the phone, you're only out $50. After the first year, just upgrade the phone if it's busted. Seems like a reasonable deal to me to risk $50 and potentially another $100 over paying $500 for a brand new phone...
    This was pretty much my logic -- although I went with Best Buy insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    I carry the insurance, and you will get both pro's and con's on doing so, but what if the Pre goes for a swim in month 3 of my contract? I am also a Premier customer of sprint, & I'll upgrade again in June, so it's 12x7=$84. Even with the deductible, it's worth it for peace of mind to me. Additionally, when you carry insurance Sprint will often just replace the phone in their repair centers, and you don't have to file a claim (which I have never done), and I have had the insurance on my Palms sine the 650.
    I agree. It's worth every penny.

I must say, if you pay for insurance for years and years on end, never use it, and finally have to - you can easily wiggle your way out of the deductible.

If it's within the first year of owning the phone and you didn't cause the damage, I've had the store replace it free of charge with a new one.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast