1.    #1  
    And the search function seems to be failing as well. I keep getting "We were unable to reset your phone" when running WebOS doctor. Short of taking the phone to Sprint tomorrow, what can be done to fix this? I tried following the how to guide on here, and nothing seems to be working. It stops maybe halfway through, while the down arrow to the chip is on the screen.
  2.    #2  
    No one has any ideas? Cuz I have a pretty unusable phone now.
    When you want help like this you need to provide as much information as you can.

what version of the doctor are you running?

what desktop os are you running?

which proceedure did you follow?

are you using your computer for anything else at the time?

Have you closed -all- programs you can possibly close on the desktop including items in the start bar?

at this point, things on your phone are pretty messed up. 66% is the point at which the doctor is re-flashing the modem.

Download webos-doctor 1.2 NOT a later version. 1.2 is the last version which completely erased the /media/internal partition. You can find links to older versions at the webos-internals wiki

Do a complete shutdown of your desktop. Power off and reboot. If you have programs like skype or anythng else running in the toolbar, exit them.

unplug the pre from the computer.

remove the battery.

1. Turn PRE off
    2. remove battery
    3. insert power cord in phone (but do NOT insert the other end into wall charger or computer.)
    3. Press the "volume-up"-key and hold it pressed DO NOT LET GO UNTIL STEP 8
    4. Insert other end of usb-power-cable into wall-charger
    5. A questionmark should appear on the screen
    6. insert battery (while still holding "volume up")
    7. A USB-symbol should appear on screen
    8. now release "volume up"
    9. remove powercord from charger and plug it into pc. Load onto PC OSWeb Doctor 1.2 (other lower versions can work as well), and 1.3.5.1 current version Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    10. Start webos doctor 1.2 (other lower versions can work as well, erases usb corrupt files) and follow instructions
    11. DO NOT REMOVE THE CABLE until installation is finished. Do not crash your computer, either!
    12. Log into Palm Profile on Pre
    13. On Pre go to Device Info: Hard Reset
    14. Wait until done, then log in as before.
    15. Insert konami code: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart. Turn development code on and restart
    16. Connect usb from Pre to PC (charge only mode)
    16. Run WebOSDoctor 1.3.5.1 to get to current operating system and relogin. After yout apps are loaded, insert konami code and turn off. Restart

The doctor should proceed "normally."
    Last edited by rboatright; 01/17/2010 at 01:19 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    When you want help like this you need to provide as much information as you can.

what version of the doctor are you running? Latest and greatest, downloaded from Palm's site.

what desktop os are you running? Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit

which proceedure did you follow? This one

are you using your computer for anything else at the time? Had the browser open to read directions

Have you closed -all- programs you can possibly close on the desktop including items in the start bar? Everything except the browser was closed

at this point, things on your phone are pretty messed up. 66% is the point at which the doctor is re-flashing the modem.

Download webos-doctor 1.2 NOT a later version. 1.2 is the last version which completely erased the /media/internal partition. You can find links to older versions at the webos-internals wiki

Do a complete shutdown of your desktop. Power off and reboot. If you have programs like skype or anythng else running in the toolbar, exit them.

remove the battery.

1. Turn PRE off
    2. remove battery
    3. insert power cord in phone (but do NOT insert the other end into wall charger or computer.)
    9. remove powercord from charger and plug it into pc. Load onto PC OSWeb Doctor 1.2 (other lower versions can work as well), and 1.3.5.1 current version Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    10. Start webos doctor 1.2 (other lower versions can work as well, erases usb corrupt files) and follow instructions
    11. DO NOT REMOVE THE CABLE until installation is finished. Do not crash your computer, either!
    15. Insert konami code: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart. Turn development code on and restart
    16. Run WebOSDoctor 1.3.5.1 to get to current operating system and relogin. After yout apps are loaded, insert konami code and turn off. Restart

I'll try 1.2 now, and see what I get.
  5.    #5  
    WebOS Doctor 1.2.1 was able to get it back up! If 1.3.5.x isn't able to always do the job, seems like Palm should have an option to do a full wipe, or the partial wipe that 1.3.5.x does. But whatever, my phone is currently booting up, and that makes me happy. Now to finish the rest of the steps you put up there.
    Last edited by Speedwagon; 01/17/2010 at 02:56 PM.
  6.    #6  
    I tried 1.3.5.1 again, and it failed again(after 1.2.1 worked successfully). Then I tried 1.3.1, and it too failed. 1.2.1 worked yet again. So now I'm on 1.2.1, and can't use the doctor to go any higher.

I used the same procedure for 1.3.x as I did for 1.2.1. Why does it not work for me?
    Last edited by Speedwagon; 01/17/2010 at 02:56 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Bumpity... anyone know why 1.3.x doesn't work for me?
  8.    #8  
    No one has any ideas? Or has the same problem?
    This reset guide helped me to get out of the error ""We were unable to reset your phone" while trying to install webOS 2.1 on my Pre- . However, I succeeded with installing version 1.3.5.2 O2 doctor for my unlocked GSM Pre 1. With fairly long waits somewhere in the beginning and minutes at 66%.
    Last edited by Dick99999; 02/27/2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Wait times added
    Sorry for bringing up this old thread but I noticed that the last poster said he used this for 2.1 on sprint which is what I'm trying to do. However, I cannot find a download for the 1.2 doctor anywhere! Does anyone have a link that is not broken? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickpotter38 View Post
    Sorry for bringing up this old thread but I noticed that the last poster said he used this for 2.1 on sprint which is what I'm trying to do. However, I cannot find a download for the 1.2 doctor anywhere! Does anyone have a link that is not broken? Thanks
    I will assume that you meant 2.1

A 2.1 Doctor for Sprint is not available for download. You need to "roll your own" by following these instructions.

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    I realize that this is an old thread, but the symptoms I'm having are similar enough that it didn't seem right to start a whole new thread for almost the same problem.

About a month ago, I cracked the screen on my Palm Pre Plus from Verizon. I was out of warranty and didn't have insurance on the phone, so I decided to order a new screen online and install it myself. Everything appeared to go fine except when I restarted the phone, I kept getting "Phone Offline" in the top left corner of the screen (and of course, none of the phone functionality worked...interestingly enough, everything else including the WiFi had no problems, I just couldn't make or receive any calls or texts and had no 3G internet connection).

After trying many solutions from Google searches and discussions with Verizon and Palm none of which restored the phone functionality, the only course of action I was left with was to do a wipe of the phone. I started with a partial wipe. Unfortunately, I got about halfway through that and the phone reported that there was a problem and it could not complete the wipe (I don't have the exact error message). Upon trying to reboot the phone, I got the "There was a problem with starting your device, please go to Palm Support" message on the phone. A few more Google searches and calls to Palm later, I tried to run WebOS Doctor to reset the phone. I started with Build Verizon.231.238, webOS 1.4.5.1 as that was the one recommended by the Palm website. That gets to 56% through the reset process, hangs for a minute or two, then I get the "We were unable to reset your phone" message from WebOS Doctor. I've tried WebOS Doctor versions 1.4.0, 1.4.1.1 and 1.4.5 and all stop at 56%, hang and then I get the same error message from WebOS Doctor.

Some more Google searches and in particular this thread, made me think that maybe when the partial wipe failed, I ended up with a corrupt file in /media/internal partition but since I can't find WebOS Doctor 1.2 that would wipe that partition (I'm not asking for one here, I just know that's the last version that would wipe the /media/internal partition), I'm stuck.

So does anyone have any ideas on what I can do next? Is there a way to wipe the /media/internal partition outside of WebOS Doctor (and with the phone not-bootable)?

For the sake of complete disclosure, I'll answer some questions ahead of time:

Desktop OS: Windows 7 64 Bit (I've also tried all of this on a Win 7 32 Bit machine...same result)

I followed the procedure from the Palm site. I also looked at the one referenced in this thread, but the only thing in there I hadn't yet tried was the WebOS Repair Utility. I tried that, but since I can't get the phone into "Just Charge" mode, it keeps telling me to connect my phone and restart.

I had everything closed on both PCs I tried (Win7 64 and 32) when I ran WebOS Doctor (each version).

At this point, this is no longer my primary phone, but I'd like to see if I can get it working again, if nothing else but to use as a test platform for the apps that I'm currently building.

Thanks in advance for your help. I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to present as much information about my problem as possible as I know that can help in finding a solution.
    I don't have access to the phone at all. By that I mean that it fails to boot and it fails at 56% in WebOS Doctor. So I can't get access to the Linux prompt and thus also not flash the modem firmware.

What I think I need is a way to completely wipe the phone so that I can get a successful WebOS Doctor run to reload the OS. Then I can try flashing the modem firmware to try to get it working again.

I did try the solutions in the first post you referenced when I first encountered the "Phone Offline" problem and they didn't work.
    I've executed java -jar <filename> on the WebOS Doctor 1.4.5.1 Jar and here is the output:

Code:
    Jun 24, 2011 4:15:19 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Customization:

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:20 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Customization: PmModemUpdater Version 5.2.0.8  Dec. 2009 @Palm Inc

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:20 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

INFO: Customization: $ Creating temp file

$ Processing file .... Processing file ....

INFO: Customization: $ PowerD Stopped successfully!

INFO: Customization: $ PmWanDaemon Stopped successfully!

INFO: Customization: $ TIL Stopped successfully!

INFO: Customization: $ Passthrough Disabled!.

INFO: Customization: $ Disable handshaking in ROM

INFO: Customization: $ Going for PRI/PRL update...No modem reset...

INFO: Customization: $ Open Port /dev/tts/modemdiag Failed!

INFO: Customization: $ Probing modem.............

INFO: Customization: DiagListen has problem

INFO: Customization: ExtendedBuildID cmd code != BUILD_ID_F

INFO: Customization: Warning: Phone state is Unknown

INFO: Customization: $ Retrying..... Please wait

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Customization: 01

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:41 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:41 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

INFO: Customization: $ Probing modem failed with 2 retries!

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:46 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:46 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:51 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:51 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:56 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:15:56 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:01 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:01 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:06 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:06 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:11 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:11 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:16 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:16 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:21 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:21 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:26 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:26 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Customization: sh: /sbin/start: not found

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:33 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:33 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

INFO: Customization: $ Enable handshaking in ROM  Enable handshaking in ROM

INFO: Customization: $ Please wait while restoring TIL/WAN.....

INFO: Customization: $ powerd Restored successfully!

INFO: Customization: $ TIL Restored successfully!

INFO: Customization: $ PmWanDaemon Restored successfully!

INFO: Customization: failed to update pri/prl

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:33 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController post FlashEvent
    WARNING: Flash Failure
    err -1 "Error Updating Modem PRI/PRL!!!"
            at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.CustomizationStage.run(CustomizationStage.java:144)
            at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:291
    )
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Jun 24, 2011 4:16:33 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController post
    FlashEvent
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1308946593689
    from C:\AppData\Local\Temp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.2
    to C:\AppData\Local\Temp\palmInstallerError0.log
    from C:\AppData\Local\Temp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.1
    to C:\AppData\Local\Temp\palmInstallerError1.log
    Jun 24, 2011 4:16:36 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController hand
    leFailCase
    INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
    Jun 24, 2011 4:16:36 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController hand
    leFailCase
    INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
            at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.CustomizationStage.run(Customizat
    ionStage.java:144)
    )
    Jun 24, 2011 4:16:37 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    eryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Jun 24, 2011 4:16:37 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    INFO: got devices 1
    Jun 24, 2011 4:16:37 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runn
    erFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Jun 24, 2011 4:16:37 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runn
    erFinished
    WARNING: flashing failed, move to failed card

Now I could be mistaken, but I think that "Error Updating Modem PRI/PRL!!!" is a pretty clear indication of the problem with reloading the device. Since this also happened at 56%, complete, it seems like a likely candidate.

After WebOS Doctor failed, I went back through the output and saw the following lines:

Code:
    INFO: Customization: Warning!  You can potentially trashed your modem firmware if system lost the power in the middle of updating firmware

Jun 24, 2011 9:09:57 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Customization: Warning!  To Stop it now, ctrl+c
    When running WebOS doctor, this message flies by so fast that I have no chance to hit ctrl+c and skip the step but I was thinking that if I COULD get it to skip the modem FW flash, then perhaps it would finish loading the OS with no problems and then I could work on getting the modem working in a separate step. Any thoughts on how to pull this off?

Anything else I can try?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbm5791 View Post
    I've executed java -jar <filename> on the WebOS Doctor 1.4.5.1 Jar and here is the output:

Code:
    Jun 24, 2011 4:15:19 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

INFO: Customization: PmModemUpdater Version 5.2.0.8  Dec. 2009 @Palm Inc

INFO: Customization: $ Creating temp file

$ Processing file .... Processing file ....

INFO: Customization: $ PowerD Stopped successfully!

INFO: Customization: $ PmWanDaemon Stopped successfully!

INFO: Customization: $ TIL Stopped successfully!

INFO: Customization: $ Passthrough Disabled!.

INFO: Customization: $ Disable handshaking in ROM

INFO: Customization: $ Going for PRI/PRL update...No modem reset...

INFO: Customization: $ Probing modem failed with 2 retries!

INFO: Customization: $ Enable handshaking in ROM  Enable handshaking in ROM

INFO: Customization: $ Please wait while restoring TIL/WAN.....

INFO: Customization: $ powerd Restored successfully!

INFO: Customization: $ TIL Restored successfully!

INFO: Customization: $ PmWanDaemon Restored successfully!

INFO: Customization: failed to update pri/prl

Jun 24, 2011 4:16:33 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController post FlashEvent
    WARNING: Flash Failure
            at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.CustomizationStage.run(CustomizationStage.java:144)
    )
    Jun 24, 2011 4:16:33 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController post
    FlashEvent
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1308946593689
    from C:\AppData\Local\Temp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.2
    to C:\AppData\Local\Temp\palmInstallerError0.log
    from C:\AppData\Local\Temp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.1
    to C:\AppData\Local\Temp\palmInstallerError1.log
    leFailCase
    INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
    leFailCase
    INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
            at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.CustomizationStage.run(Customizat
    ionStage.java:144)
    )
    INFO: got controller
    INFO: got devices 1
    erFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    erFinished
    WARNING: flashing failed, move to failed card

Now I could be mistaken, but I think that "Error Updating Modem PRI/PRL!!!" is a pretty clear indication of the problem with reloading the device. Since this also happened at 56%, complete, it seems like a likely candidate.

After WebOS Doctor failed, I went back through the output and saw the following lines:

Code:
    INFO: Customization: Warning!  You can potentially trashed your modem firmware if system lost the power in the middle of updating firmware

Jun 24, 2011 9:09:57 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Customization: Warning!  To Stop it now, ctrl+c
    When running WebOS doctor, this message flies by so fast that I have no chance to hit ctrl+c and skip the step but I was thinking that if I COULD get it to skip the modem FW flash, then perhaps it would finish loading the OS with no problems and then I could work on getting the modem working in a separate step. Any thoughts on how to pull this off?

Anything else I can try?
    I have been struggling to doctor my pre2 and getting exact same error. It all started after I used FreeTether using wifi connection and all of a sudden my pre2 could not turn on. Since then I am trying to doctor it and getting exact same error.

@OP - did you manage to get your pre working again, how?
    please share your solution.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I was running a doctored Verizon 2.1.0 build. Some Preware patches messed up my notifications (even after I uninstalled them) so I decided to re-doctor again. I have a Pre 2. The install would fail at around 12% with the flash failures that you have.

I went back to stock Verizon 2.0.1 and that went on fine. Rebooted the phone, USB mode, tried the meta....2.1.0 build again. Failed....same place. Went back to 2.0.1.

This time I did the upgrade while the unit was booted (2.0.1) and put it into Developer Mode. Voila! Then it worked with no problems.

Perhaps this was a no-brainer to some folks but I assumed the build could be done by doing the Volume up key, cable, power, etc. method. Maybe it does work for some folks. It just didn't work for me.

Caveats - I did delete my profile and did a full erase while trying to get this done. Neither of them made any difference but, in the end, perhaps it did help on some level.
    On my Pre2 I had my metadoctor image fail 5 times in a row at 12%.. On the 6th attempt it completed successfully. I spoke to rwhitby about it on IRC and he said he's experienced it too and it's probably some sort of "timing" issue. The phone simply wasn't ready to move onto the next stage of the DR process, something happened too fast or too slow.

So my suggestion is to keep trying. Don't let your computer sleep, screenaver, nothing. And definitely run the DR from the command line so you can see your log.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post

what version of the doctor are you running?

what desktop os are you running?

which proceedure did you follow?

are you using your computer for anything else at the time?

Have you closed -all- programs you can possibly close on the desktop including items in the start bar?

remove the battery.

1. Turn PRE off
    2. remove battery

I tried to install WebOS doctor 224 but Pre3 was hanged and after that, only showed HP on screen. I still tried to remove battery and re-install, but can't fixed.
    I do follow your instruction and still ok from step 1 to step 9. But WebOS Doctor 224 AT&T (Build Att.170.2211) only run to 12% and look like not running anymore.
    I'v just update system to WebOS2.2.4.
    Please help me to fix this problem.
    Treo 650>Pre3