1.    #1  
    Getting information on when or even if the Paid App Catalogue is going to be available in Canada is very difficult.

There has been a direct announcement from Palm indicating that the Paid App Catalogue will be available in Europe soon, however no such word has been forth coming for Canada.

I chatted with Palm's online support service 'chat centre'. The Support Rep (Sandford), seems to indicate that it is coming, no date given.

Here is the full text of the chat session; (check out the comment at 3:01 AM)

[2:49 AM] Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app02-14.logmeinrescue.com...
    [2:49 AM] Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    [2:50 AM] Chat session established with Sandford.
    [2:50 AM] Harnoy says: Quick question, will Palm be bringing the paid App Catalogue to Canada?
    [2:50 AM] Sandford says: Hello. Thank you for contacting Palm. My name is Sandford.
    [2:51 AM] Sandford says: I understand that you want to know it will be available to use the Palm App Catalogue in Canada, am I correct?
    [2:52 AM] Harnoy says: That's right, specifically access to the Paid App Catalogue.
    [2:53 AM] Sandford says: Sure, I will help you with the issue.
    [2:54 AM] Sandford says: Yes, App Catalogue must be available in the Canada for Bell Mobility.
    [2:54 AM] Sandford says: You can download both free and paid applications as it is a major application on the Palm Pre to install third party applications.
    [2:55 AM] Sandford says: Can I be of any further assistance?
    [2:56 AM] Harnoy says: Yes. I'm talking about the full PAID APP CATALOGUE. Currently the only apps available in Canada are the free apps. Access to any paid apps is denied. Will Palm be bringing the Paid App Catalogue to Canada??
    [2:57 AM] Sandford says: Let me explain it to you.
    [2:58 AM] Sandford says: As of now there are no Paid applications for the Palm Pre with the Bell Mobility on the App Catalogue, If the applications are released for your device, you can download them in the future.
    [3:00 AM] Harnoy says: Okay, that much I had figured out....my question is; Will Palm be bringing the Paid App Catalogue to Canada?? That should be answerable with either a YES or a NO.
    [3:01 AM] Sandford says: Yes, Paid applications will be available in future.
    [3:02 AM] Harnoy says: Thank you. That does help. Bye
    [3:03 AM] Sandford says: Please try to understand that, the applications have to be developed by the third party providers so that you can use them on your device, if they are available, you can download them.
    [3:03 AM] Sandford says: Can I be of any further assistance?
    [3:03 AM] Harnoy says: No thanks, logging off now.
    [3:03 AM] Sandford says: You are welcome.
    [3:04 AM] Sandford says: Have a good day!
    [3:04 AM] You have ended the session.
    They've been saying "soon" since paid apps started appearing in the US catalog
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    @harnoy:
    You know the representative would never be allowed to give any real info to the public, even if they had it.
    There's nothing you could do about it, as frustrating as it is.
    Even if there was great news that it would be tomorrow, they would not tell the public.
    That's just how the system is.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 01/17/2010 at 09:33 AM.
    Come on palm get with the program here. Canadian money is not monopoly money anymore. It's worth almost as much as US currency
    Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
    I really don't know what the hold up is. If it goes through for Europe in March it better go through for us or i'll be really ticked. There would be no reason whatsoever for us to be left out once Europe goes paid app. Does Palm not want money? You reading this Palm??? Maybe I should spend my hard earned money on iphone or Blackberry apps instead.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I'm not going to lie. Palm has got me angry now over this situation. I really want to support palm, buying the phone early and defending it against 7 of my iphone weilding friends, all while going through several updates until it achieved the usuability it has today.

But now I feel cheated and the pirate in me wants to strike back, however this community is to loyal for widespread piracy so I'm left with nothing but the web browser to play with.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    @harnoy:
    You know the representative would never be allowed to give any real info to the public, even if they had it.
    There's nothing you could do about it, as frustrating as it is.
    Even if there was great news that it would be tomorrow, they would not tell the public.
    That's just how the system is.
    If all that you do is accept 'That's just how the system is' then nothing will ever change. Sometimes making a bit of noise over an issue, or letting somebody know that something stinks, will be enough incentive to cause change. Other routes like organizing petitions can be very effective as well depending on the issue.

For this situation I intend to start by letting Palm know that the lack of both access to the paid app catalogue and any information regarding why, is not acceptable to consumers.

We pay out a lot of money for 'smart' phones and there is an expectation of functionality which includes running non-phone related software on them. Apple understands this, as do the manufacturers of Android based phones.
    I would think that Bell would like to see paid apps ASAP. When others see you playing Need for Speed and other paid apps, it would help Pre sales.

I know of two guys that are seriously looking into getting the Pre just from me showing them Quake. They were really impressed with that and other features that the phone had.
    until March 2010, paid apps are only available in the United States.. You can submit a second version of a paid app and make it free or vice versa.
    Submit Your webOS Apps - Palm Developer Center
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    If all that you do is accept 'That's just how the system is' then nothing will ever change. Sometimes making a bit of noise over an issue, or letting somebody know that something stinks, will be enough incentive to cause change. Other routes like organizing petitions can be very effective as well depending on the issue.

For this situation I intend to start by letting Palm know that the lack of both access to the paid app catalogue and any information regarding why, is not acceptable to consumers.

We pay out a lot of money for 'smart' phones and there is an expectation of functionality which includes running non-phone related software on them. Apple understands this, as do the manufacturers of Android based phones.
    If you ask anybody here, they will tell you that out of my 1200 something posts, 939 of them are complaints (give or take 300 ).
    I agree with you 100,000%.
    But good luck, trying to move a big cruise ship with a paddle.
    Really.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    If you ask anybody here, they will tell you that out of my 1200 something posts, 939 of them are complaints (give or take 300 ).
    He speaks the truth lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    He speaks the truth lol
    lol
    well canaidians are missing out on the funest and best part of this phone. And making us always wait will make me think twice before I ever bought a palm product again. I got the pre to have the fun not always waitting for good apps, updates and etc. Seems like they could careless if they had us as customers or not.
    it would be like getting a coffee from somewhere, they have a menu with all u can add to it, and after u buy the coffee, the the menu changes to suger and cream only. a basic coffee compaired to a specialty coffee
    Now if they wanted us as customers they would be trying to keep us happy like they do with USA.
    I just want to be able to use the phone to the fullest. And have fun with the 3D games, wow they look cool
    Last edited by hust; 03/06/2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: give better feeling of being left out
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    well we can all message Oosterman and let him know how unsatisfied we are and that will definitely get some where rather than chatting with reps
    Here is a transcript of a chat with Palm support from today on the problem of paid apps in canada:

9:35 AM Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app01-12.logmeinrescue.com...
    9:35 AM Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    9:36 AM Support session established with Kent.

9:36 AM Kent: Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Kent, How can I help you today?
    9:36 AM Kent: Please let me go through the information you have provided.
    9:36 AM MTH: When are Bell customers going to have access to the full app catalog?
    9:37 AM Kent: I understand that you want to know when will Bell customers have full access to App Catalog.
    9:37 AM MTH: Yes
    9:37 AM Kent: Let me explain it to you.
    9:39 AM Kent: The applications are available in App Catalog or not developed by Palm and access to the application through App Catalog will be through Developers who develop the application and they will filter the application in a way that it can be accessed in specific region or only through specific carrier.
    9:39 AM Kent: It has to be through the developers of that programs which are available in App Catalog.
    9:42 AM MTH: I don't think that is correct. All the forums indicate that Palm is unable to provide worldwide access for various technical and financial reasons. I have been a Palm user since 2001. I have been listening to "coming soon" about the app catalog since October. Quite frankly, it is no wonder you can't sell the devices in Canada - no support from the carrier, no support from Palm. Again - my question is, on what date will we have access to the full catalog. At present we have NO access to any paid apps. Can't sell devices people can't fully use!
    9:44 AM Kent: I am afraid that this is something which has to be decided from the developers side.
    9:45 AM Kent: I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused to you.
    9:46 AM MTH: Funny, Bell says it is Palm, Palm says it is the developers, somebody needs to step up to the plate and make it happen. The message just doesn't seem to get through to Palm. Canadian (and I am sure European) customers fell very unsupported. Can you tell me what, if anything is being done to address this, or can you find someone who can?
    9:48 AM Kent: I will transfer you to my supervisor.
    9:48 AM Kent: Give me a minute.
    9:48 AM MTH: Thank you

9:48 AM Transferring session to another technician...
    9:48 AM Support session established with Scott.

9:50 AM Scott: Hello.
    9:50 AM MTH: Hello Scott
    9:51 AM Scott: I understand your concern regarding the Applications for your Palm Pre.
    9:52 AM Scott: As Kent explained that the Developer will decide which application to show for which carrier.
    9:53 AM Scott: The software developers will design them and filter them.
    9:53 AM Scott: And we will keep you posted about the updates on our website.
    9:54 AM MTH: Yes, understanding concern is one thing, somebody doing something about is seems to be an entirely different problem. Can you tell me if, when, how this will be addressed. I addition, you can't tell me that the developers of all paid apps have decided that their products are not for use with Bell. Theiur "Lite" versions with limitations and expiry dates are available, but when you click on the link to purchase "not available in your country". Say what you want but this is a Palm problem.
    9:55 AM Scott: I am sorry for the confusion, the developer will design this rules, but not Palm.
    9:56 AM Scott: You will have the application in near future.
    9:56 AM Scott: But we do not have information on when.
    9:57 AM MTH: Sorry, I don't buy it and neither do other customers. Hope the message gets upstairs to Jon Rubenstein - support canada or you are lost in this country. I am told that most Bell dealers won't even stock the device now. Too bad - best device, worst support, everyone says someone else is responsible. Hope the message gets through beforeyour country's Chapter 11 sets in.
    9:58 AM MTH: Just so you know, I am going to pots a transcript on the Palm forums and the forums at precentral.
    9:58 AM Scott: There are some posting already on this.
    9:58 AM Scott: Visit: XXXX App catalog on Bell Mobility - Palm Support Community
    9:59 AM Scott: We are aware of all this, we cannot comment on the unreleased and upcoming updates as per the policy.
    9:59 AM Scott: Thank you for your understanding in this regard.
    10:00 AM MTH: I am sorry, I ran out of understanding several months ago.
    10:02 AM Scott: I can understand your frustration in this regard.
    10:02 AM Scott: But there will be apps for bell and we don't have information on when.
    10:03 AM MTH: Great - then Palm should do something. All the understanding in the world won't rescue you - you need to make it happen.
    10:04 AM Scott: We will do our best as much the things are in our hand.
    10:04 AM Scott: hands*
    10:04 AM Scott: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
    10:05 AM MTH: That is all, thank you.
    10:05 AM Scott: Thank you for using Palm Technical Support. Click on "X" button on this chat window and fill in our customer survey and tell us how helpful this support has been. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
    10:05 AM Scott: The session id of this chat is 52140321

10:06 AM Scott has ended the session.
    Chat with Palm support March 9, 2010, on paid apps for Canada:

8:49 AM Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app06.logmeinrescue.com...
    8:49 AM Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    8:51 AM Support session established with Calvin.

8:51 AM Calvin: Thank you for contacting Palm. My name is Calvin.
    8:51 AM MTH: Hello Calvin, could you please tell me when I will havew acces to paid apps.
    8:51 AM Calvin: I understand that you want to know the information about paid applications in Canada pre devices.Am I correct?
    8:52 AM MTH: Yes
    8:53 AM Calvin: Thank you for the confirmation.
    8:55 AM Calvin: To be frank with you, we are not sure about the exact date when the paid applications available of the Canada devices.
    8:55 AM Calvin: As of now we do not have an access to use the paid applications on Pre device.
    8:57 AM Calvin: If there are any updates regarding this, Palm will post the details in Palm official website.
    8:58 AM MTH: That is a big problem for me. I have been a Palm user since 2001. I have been told "coming soon" since October. I was locked into a 3 year contract by Bell. The device does not have adequate built in functions for things like calculators, speed dialers, etc. I was fortunate enough to get some early development versions of applications via the homebrew community, but when these moved to the paid app catalog they became unavailable. Now I feel very unsupported by the manufacturer and the carrier. Could you find someone who can tell me when this will happen?
    9:00 AM Calvin: It is quite unfortunate that one of our best customer has had a hard time.
    9:02 AM Calvin: As we can access the paid applications on pre devices with the carrier Sprint, Verizon in US, I hope the issue may be with the carrier.
    9:03 AM Calvin: Have you ever contacted the carrier regarding this issue?
    9:04 AM MTH: Yes, but I am not the only one. A lot of disappointed Palm loyalists out there. Great device. You sell them with the understanding that many, many add on applications are available, but you won;t make them available to all customers. Apple didn't sell ipods as a device that people could think about playing music on. They sold devices that could access content. I have a pile of old motorolas if all I want to do is make phone calls. If you want to sell phones you better make the content available. If CEO Jon doesn't understand this, Palm (and all your jobs) are headed for your country's Chapter 11. No one seems to want to take responsibility here and make it happen. Is there anyone at Palm who can tell me more?
    9:05 AM MTH: No, the issue is not the carrier. Bell says it is Palm, your colleagues in previous contacts say it isn't Palm, it is the Palm developers - no-one is interested. Typical big corporation double talk - "not me, not me". The sort of thing my kids say to me.
    9:10 AM Calvin: I am sorry for the delaying.
    9:11 AM MTH: I know, you are instructed to say "sorry, I apoligize, etc". Maybe you can tell me does any of this get passed on, and is there anyone else I can talk to - 2 speceific questions here.
    9:12 AM Calvin: Palm is already aware of this issue, unable to access the paid applications for Bell mobility in Canada.
    9:12 AM Calvin: AS this is a region specific, that paid applications cannot access in Canada.
    9:16 AM Calvin: In this situation, I can do one thing from our end.
    9:16 AM Calvin: I will provide a web link to post your feed back and you can request for features and applications.

9:17 AM Calvin has sent a link: http:/ link edited out

9:17 AM Calvin: http:/ link edited out
    9:18 AM MTH: Thank you for the link. I will be posting a transcript of our chat on the Palm forums and the Precentral forums.
    9:19 AM Calvin: Please give me a moment.
    9:19 AM Calvin: Let me transfer you to the supervisor.

9:20 AM Transferring session to another technician...
    9:20 AM Support session established with Scott.

9:21 AM Scott: Hello, please give me a moment while I go through the previous chat session.
    9:21 AM MTH: Hello Scott - are you the same Scott from Sunday?
    9:22 AM Scott: Yes, I am the same.
    9:23 AM MTH: Great, any more information for a longtime Palm user?
    9:24 AM Scott: There is no development and news in this two days.
    9:24 AM Scott: It is same as earlier.
    9:25 AM Scott: We will post the information on our website when there are Paid applications for your Palm Pre.
    9:26 AM Scott: As informed earlier, we cannot comment on the upcoming and unreleased products.
    9:26 AM Scott: Please understand.
    9:26 AM Scott: This is region specific as well the Filters.
    9:26 AM Scott: Palm is aware of this and working on it.
    9:26 AM Scott: But we do not have any estimate time of information on this regard.
    9:28 AM Scott: Thank you for your understanding in this regard.
    9:28 AM MTH: Very disappointing. Again, no apparent interest, and noone to say "I am responsible". Too bad. I will call bell and try to get out of the contract as you and the carrier cannot seem to support your Canadian customers. Again, you can talk about "developers", "carriers", "region specific" all you want, but in the end it is a Palm problem - if you can't sell the phones you are out of business. But I guess that is Palm and the investors problem, not the customers' problem.
    9:31 AM Scott: I can understand your situation, but as of now, there are no paid applications for the Palm Pre Bell.
    9:31 AM MTH: Thanks for your time. Now over to the forums to post this.
    9:32 AM Scott: This is known information.
    9:32 AM Scott: And this information is already posted in the forum as this is limitation.
    9:33 AM Scott: Like I said in the last chat and provided you with the link as well.
    9:33 AM MTH: Oh I have lots of links.
    9:34 AM Scott: I tried explaining you about this limitation and we do know about this.
    9:34 AM Scott: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
    9:35 AM MTH: No thank you.
    9:36 AM Scott: Thank you for using Palm Technical Support. Click on "X" button on this chat window and fill in our customer survey and tell us how helpful this support has been. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
    9:36 AM Scott: Have a nice one.