Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am just starting to compare my blackberry tour on verizon to features on the Pre plus. I got my hands on my brother in laws Pre this weekend and really got to dig into the Pre more then in a store demo unit. Things that held me back on the Pre the first time around was no video support and poor OS and battery life. I am on Verizon so I would be getting the Pre Plus

So how is the battery life with 1.3?
    Is there a facebook app for uploading mobile pictures?
    twitter app?
    Can you get a extended battery with charging dock?
    Is the device reset alot with homebrewing?

Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    about 12 hours battery life
    yea there is a facebook app
    yes twitter app
    yes you get a extended battery with a touchstone
    i reset about twice a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    about 12 hours battery life
    depends on use, just like every device, but on the whole it's far worse than a BlackBerry.
    yea there is a facebook app
    there are a handful of Facebook apps, including the "official" one and some third party ones.
    yes twitter app
    again, multiple apps, some paid, some free.
    yes you get a extended battery with a touchstone
    ***? no you don't. none of the extended batteries (the physically larger ones, not counting the Mugen offerings, etc) are Touchstone compatible. but yes, there are extended batteries and docks.
    i reset about twice a week
    again, depends on the user. i only reset mine at update time or when a certain patch requires it.

i dont know about the Tour, but there isn't the infamous memory leak like was present on the Pearl's and Curve's where you had to reset the phone every day or so to prevent messages from being deleted.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    It is like this. Blackberry keyboard is great. Pre web browser kicks ***.
    I picked browsing over a keyboard.
    i did....

bb tour-->pre--->tour--->pixi

i have a review somewhere around here comparing the tour to the pre, i will updateit soon with my thoughts on the pixi.

overall, i liked the tour over the pre. Tour is more solid, stable, snappier, yet "boring-er" than the pre...

pixi is the same, however, i like the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by goat03 View Post
    ditto on this point.
    i don't know if the Innocell 1350mAh Slim Extended Life Battery is psychically bigger but it does have more power and it fit with the touchstone door
    Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    Things that held me back on the Pre the first time around was no video support and poor OS...
    WHAT!!!!

So how is battery life with 1.3?
    Great, you just have to fiddle around with the settings to see what best works for you. The first few days with the Pre you will have horrible battery but once the battery is broken in and you have changed settings like brightness, email sync times, exc you will ok. I get a full days work on normal use (12+ hours). If I go on battery conservation mode and use it the least I can I can easily get 2 days out of it.

Is there a facebook app for uploading moble pictures?
    Yes there is! It is actually built into the Picture app. You just go to the picture(s) you want and tap upload to facebook and it will upload them to the facebook account your Pre is synced with.

twitter app?
    LOL!!! Only like 50!!!! jk..... theres like 4-5 different twitter client out there. Both homebrew and App Catoluge. You can choose which one fits you best.

How can you get an extended battery with charging dock?
    I believe you mean how can you get a better battery that work with the TouchStone. You can get a Seidio Innocell 1350 Extended Battery here at the PreCentral store for $45. It will give you 17% more battery. For me that would be about 2 1/2 hours. Said to give you at the least an extra 30 minutes (LOTS of web browsing!!!). It is extactly the same size as the stock battery and DOES work with TouchStone.

Is the device reset alot with homebrewing?
    I think you mean how the Pre plays with hombrew. The Pre and homebrew are like peanut butter and bread. They go together VERY well!! I know that if you jailbreak an iPhone it will slow it down and crash allot. You can install Preware which will open a whole new world to your Pre. It will give you Patches; which are edits to the System to add different custom made features like having 4 by 4 icons in the launcher instead of 3 by 3 and a percent next to the battery in the task bar. There is also homebrew apps; this opens up beta applications, and most importantly WebOS-Internals' (awesome group of developers) ports for ground breaking low level features. The even got a Extremely Alpha version of a Video Recorder working!!!

...no video support...
    In a few weeks when version 1.4 comes out you will have full featured video recording. Palm announced this at CES, along with great new features to the SDK for developers to make awesome 3D Games/apps.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    POOR OS seriously? that has to be a joke. the webos is just modern and great just read review blackberries are great phones but the os is old outdated that what test say about the blackberries the webos is the most inuvative os around. test confirm multitasking having all the apps open without interrupping anything else is just great. using gps navigation yputube tv pandora email testing twitter facebook and stuff at the same time?? u cant do that with any other phone.
    I came from a Tour and would agree with most of the above comments. Over the Tour is built a little more 'sturdy' both OS and hardware, whereas the Pre is more modern and flashy. I went witj the Pre for wifi, webkit browser and WebOS in general. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely things I don't care for about the Pre (keyboard and general for and finish), but for me the pros greatly out weight the cons. I love my Pre.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goat03 View Post
    I picked browsing over a keyboard.
    Absolutely - my Treo 680 was a much better phone and organiser, but having a real web browser is so amazingly useful.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by yungwunn911 View Post
    i did....

bb tour-->pre--->tour--->pixi

i have a review somewhere around here comparing the tour to the pre, i will updateit soon with my thoughts on the pixi.

overall, i liked the tour over the pre. Tour is more solid, stable, snappier, yet "boring-er" than the pre...

pixi is the same, however, i like the keyboard.
    If you find a link to this review that would be great. I can't stand the lag I have with my device . I have read this is an issue with the 1st Gen Tour and that is part of the reason it will be replace shortly with the touch pad 2nd gen Tour. I will go from one app to another and hit send and will get the spinning wheel of death. I had to completely reload the OS twice so far losing all my apps . I think it was due to some bad apps I had put in the device. Only have around 15-20 apps and it seems to get buggier with each app I put on. I also hate on the tour that there is no way to back up the WHOLE device including apps. You reload the OS and then have to one by one restore your apps list.

Can you back up your whole device like you could on the old Palm OS?

Yes I was knocking the new Web os 1.0 . At the time of release I had to decide switching from Nextel what carrier I wanted and what device. It was the Tour on Verizon , Palm Pre on Sprint or Iphone on ATT. I picked the Verizon tour for the email and texting . I feel blackberry is ahead of the game with great battery life and push email and texting at that time and that was my main need coming from a flip phone . I decided to go Verizon due to the amount of my family on Verizon saves on the calling but that has changed too with Sprints new plans. After some time I started looking into apps on the Tour and found the choices where limited and not pretty. The web browsing wasn't what I thought it would be either and I almost never use the browsing just us the data from the apps that pull from the network. My wife got a curve and we both fell in love with the PIN messaging. My boss just PIN's me my work requests for the day and updates as the day goes on. I would be looking for something that I could replace the messaging app. If Verizon comes out with buy a pre and get a pixi I am looking to switch the wife and I both to palm. I had a palm pilot from the late 90's through the Palm TX years so I understand classic but not the web OS. It looks like the Web OS has come a long ways after playing with a pre last night for some time.

I wonder if you can get just texting on the pixi and no web I know you can't get that on the blackberries they lock you into a web price of 30.00 for the whole thing.

Also can you sync with a Mac?
    Last edited by tritan; 01/17/2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Tritan

I don't consider the Blackberry a "smartphone", it's really a smart-pager. I consider iPhone, Android, WebOS and WinMO smartphone OSs. I'm not trying to dis Blackberry, really. It's just that comparing Blackberry devices to real smartphones is like comparing the PC to a game console. OF course the game console kicks every PCs booty at games, but... So, the Blackberry is "the" device for an e-mail suite, but as a mobile computing OS? NO!

You want a reliable, with a long bat-life device for e-mail only...Blackberry really is the only choice. Now, if you want to carry something that's as close to PC functionality as possible, get a WebOS, iPhone, Android or WinMo device. ...and as of today, I'm being quite generous by including WinMo in that group. Lets hope they get their stuff together for WinMo 7.

Oh, and has anyone seen that LG commercial with the built in projector? That's just crazy cool.
    Last edited by rog47776; 01/17/2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: add
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I am making a move from the BB storm to the pre+ on the 25th. I haven't messed around with a pre but for the last 2 weeks I've been on pre central.net all day n on Youtube just checking out n getting all the info I need on the pre. In my mind I have already made the switch all I need now is the phone itself. The pre just seems like the future n BB seems old n outdated. I love my storm but I can't wait to get the pre+. I can't answer any of your questions but like u I am making the switch n really excited to make the switch. Thanks precental.net for all the great info that helped in
    making my switch to the pre family.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ganthonyv View Post
    I am making a move from the BB storm to the pre+ on the 25th. I haven't messed around with a pre but for the last 2 weeks I've been on pre central.net all day n on Youtube just checking out n getting all the info I need on the pre. In my mind I have already made the switch all I need now is the phone itself. The pre just seems like the future n BB seems old n outdated. I love my storm but I can't wait to get the pre+. I can't answer any of your questions but like u I am making the switch n really excited to make the switch. Thanks precental.net for all the great info that helped in
    making my switch to the pre family.
    I hear ya. I just looked I have been a member for 9 years. I love this site great helpful people here.

This is no comparison with the screens. Love my new Mac I got the magic mouse and that was my first time with a touch interface love browsing with it. back on topic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tritan

Blackberry has a VERY polished OS....but the OS is also based on old tech. You never get anything really impressive with a BB but you know you get (mostly) solid reliability.

I went from the Curve to Pre and the only thing i miss is the keyboard.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Blackberry has a VERY polished OS....but the OS is also based on old tech. You never get anything really impressive with a BB but you know you get (mostly) solid reliability.

agreed it is. I mis the things you can't play with like the patches for different functions.
    Tritan

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I actually came from a BB tour on Verizon to the Pre on Sprint. I really liked my tour but I couldn't handle the bills from big red anymore so I switched. I can say pretty confidently that the Pre is a better device. Browsing the web is much better on the Pre and if you need video recording, that is coming in an update in February. As far as battery life is concerned mine is excellent on the Pre, I can get about 2 days without a charge on medium use. I will say the tour had a better keyboard but after a month or so I got used to the Pre's and I'm almost as quick as I was on the tour. Hope this helps
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

I too went from the Curve to the Pre...Then to the tour for a bit, and right back to the pre. I love blackberry's, but the pre is so hard to beat IMO. Now the tour 2 will be different, since it will have wifi and the trackpad which is pretty slick. I always found myself preferring the blackberry's for my business (treo's before the blackberry's), but i've gotten pretty hooked on the media aspect of the phone. Great UI. It's going to be pretty hard to get away from a touch screen now.

I will say this, the battery life is pretty bad where I am. I am somewhat of a heavy user, but it never bothers me since I have a touchstone on my desk and a car charger. I also live in a hilly/mountainous region. Without a mid day charge and normal usage I would probably last about 6-8 hours.

I do love the blackberry design. They have come a long way. But it's going to be difficult for me to move away from the pre and new designs. I really didn't think it would be tough for me to move away from the touchscreen the week I had the tour, but I really missed it.
    I owned the pre then went to the tour then back to the pre and now I'm back with the tour. I liked the pre (wanted to stick with it) but I use my phone for more business sake and the pre just didn't cut it (wish it did though, would be with the pre now). The pre wouldn't connect to my coporate email, calender lacks. To put it frank, blackberry does PIM well. Its now flashy and it don't do web great but its what fits my needs right now. I'm really hoping with OS 2.0 that the palm will bring new things to the table. But I'm afraid that Palms main focus is going to be consumer and not business
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast