1.    #1  
    My wife really wants a Pre, however she is not due for an upgrade, according to Sprint. So the phone would cost in excess of $450.....and there is no way in hades we're paying that much. Makes one wonder if the Pre might be more successful if Sprint was willing to budge on their upgrade due dates........

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions as to how I might get her a Pre elsewhere and activate the phone with Sprint. I have seen some on ebay that claim to have a "clear ESN"....whatever that is.

Need some help here.....

Thanks,

DJ
    Several options:
    - Add a new line until her existing phone's contract expires? You would get the discounted price of a new phone and a nominal monthly charge for the additional line
    - Buy used from folks on this forum or eBay
    - um, I'm sure there's another, but I can't think of it.
    Ebay or Craigslist are your best bet
    clear esn means it can be activated on sprint but your best bet would be to search the marketplace i saw a pre on here for 210 today actually
    Don't buy off ebay. Almost every single one is a defective device. Half of those that do have a 'Clear ESN' actually don't and those that do will probably fall apart in a month. I will guarantee you that it will be a bad experience for you. Crage'sList maybe a better bet.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Craigslist also seems kind of questionable to me... Not sure if it's as bad as ebay though
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Craigslist also seems kind of questionable to me... Not sure if it's as bad as ebay though
    At least with craigslist a lot of the time you can find somebody locally and play with it before purchasing.

But I personally would wait till June / July its when sprint usually drops new phones I believe.
    I got mine brand new/in box off craigslist for $230.
    I always sell my used phones on Craigslist. I give the buyer plenty of time to play with the phone and we meet at a Sprint store so they can confirm the ESN is clear. Craigslist is a great place to buy phones. I've also bought a used phone on E-Bay with no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by djazzbass View Post
    Makes one wonder if the Pre might be more successful if Sprint was willing to budge on their upgrade due dates........

that must be why that new fangled Droid thingy was so successful in it's first week.
    If your wife wants it bad enough, full price is worth it, IMO. That's what I did on launch day since I wasn't up 'til Oct. It was worth it; I love my Pre!
    Palm Pre new in box

I agree about budging on their upgrade terms. I was willing to commit to aonther new two year contract but they wouldn't let me.
    Get family share plan then add it as a new share line. It will cost you 19.99 to add the line. Then call sprint and do an esn swap with her old phone so that she dosen't have to change her number. Then Just wait until your contract expires on her old phone and disconnect. This is what i am doing now. Just got my Pre and love it so far. The 19.99 per month will only be 240.00 for a year if that is how long you have to keep it until her contract expires. This cost can be offset by the 20/24 special deal sprint retentions is doing now (see other thread about this). Just my .02
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    if you have been with sprint of a long time just tell them that you will leave and they will give it to you for the discounted price.. I always do it 2 phones in 1 yr..
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I always sell my used phones on Craigslist. I give the buyer plenty of time to play with the phone and we meet at a Sprint store so they can confirm the ESN is clear. Craigslist is a great place to buy phones. I've also bought a used phone on E-Bay with no problem.
    I agree. I've bought and sold many phones on Craigslist, meeting at a coffee shop or Sprint store. This gives a chance to call in or in person activate the handset. It's worked out well for both seller and buyer. I did have a guy once who had gotten burned previously to me selling him my 800w, but he was cool with meeting at the store to check things out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Thats the best route honestly. my local craigslist had a pair of pre's selling for $150 each or $250 for both.

What you do is set the meet up AT a Sprint store. If everything is good and clear you can walk out with the phone activated and working. If the phone has a bad esn they probably will refuse to meet you there or the sprint rep activating it will let you know on the spot. no deal

EDIT:::HAHA i see Im not the only one who meets people from craigslist at the sprint store lol. beat me to it
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyfool View Post
    Several options:
    - Add a new line until her existing phone's contract expires? You would get the discounted price of a new phone and a nominal monthly charge for the additional line
    INteresting. I've never thought of that. On Verizon it's only an extra 10$ a month. Actually this is a great way for a single person to have several different phones. i've always wondered how those people who have a number of phones do it without SIM cards.
    It seems that Sprint's upgrade system is a little "dumb". The system doesn't allow them to add time onto a contract. If someone does an "upgrade" it restarts the clock on their contract.

So if you're not due for an upgrade until June and you upgrade now, the system will restart the clock at January and Sprint will lose out on six months of contract time on the other end of the contract.

That's why they insist on sticking to the upgrade times. They really need to update their system so that it can extend contract time. Maybe their lawyers told them that would be a contract modification and to avoid doing it because of material changes, etc. Seems to me that it would be as simple as starting a new contract at the end of the existing, but signing up for it at the time the customer wants to "upgrade". If people are willing to commit to more time on contract, Sprint would be kind of stupid to turn them down on the deal...especially since they're bleeding customers as it is.

But what do I know?