1.    #1  
    Woke up to a dead phone. Wouldn't power on at all. The battery was 80% in the middle of the night when I checked an email. Phone has not been doctored or patched in anyway.

I pulled the battery and re-inserted and it lit up, but was frozen on Palm logo, no light flicker that you get when starting.

Re-pulled and re-inserted batt again and this time it loaded up, batt was at 68%, so that was not the issue.

Is this the start of failing hardware or is this a glitch that has happened to others? The phone is 45 days old and perfect in every other way. I'd hate to get a refurb.
    Quote Originally Posted by grate88 View Post
    Is this the start of failing hardware or is this a glitch that has happened to others? The phone is 45 days old and perfect in every other way. I'd hate to get a refurb.
    I'd write it up as a glitch. If you were at 28 days, I might say take it back, but at this point, you're past the 30, they're not going to let you out of the contract, they're not going to give you a new phone (as opposed to a refurb, though personally, I'd be fine with a refurb). Bottom line is, you don't loose anything by waiting a few days and seeing if it's something recurring.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'd write it up as a glitch. If you were at 28 days, I might say take it back, but at this point, you're past the 30, they're not going to let you out of the contract, they're not going to give you a new phone (as opposed to a refurb, though personally, I'd be fine with a refurb). Bottom line is, you don't loose anything by waiting a few days and seeing if it's something recurring.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

My first choice is to absolutely hold onto it and hope it was a glitch. I've been with sprint since 1987, so I'm not looking to get out of contract, for the most part I'm happy with their service.

mostly wanted to know if others had a similar issue and if it led to larger problems or failures.
    could be your usb wire dying
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    i have had this problem occasionally. it is just a minor anoyance to me and doesn't occur that often.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Several times each week, I awaken in the morning to find my phone on the Touchstone with a dead palm screen. This started a few weeks ago. My phone is heavily patched, but I'm not blaming patches at this point. I try to preempt the problem by restarting my phone daily, but that doesn't necessarily work. Interestingly, after I pull the battery and my phone wakes up, it comes back fairly quickly -- more like a luna restart than a phone restart.
    exact thing happened to me. Take the battery out and push down on the chipset under the battery. Then put it back in and turn it on.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Charge the phone up and when it is full take it off the touchstone. If you have wifi, your phone shouldn't drain much overnight. If it does, either your battery is bad or something is causing a major drain. Might start by removing some of the patches but if they haven't caused issues in the past, prob not the issue. Worth a try to troubleshoot it little by little and rule things out.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I had this happen once when I took my phone and laid it gently in my desk drawer at work. When I came back and took it out (was at like a 90% charge) the phone wouldn't turn on. Took the battery out and tried to turn it on and it came on w/o an issue. Don't know what the issue was but hasn't happened since.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    I had this happen once when I took my phone and laid it gently in my desk drawer at work. When I came back and took it out (was at like a 90% charge) the phone wouldn't turn on. Took the battery out and tried to turn it on and it came on w/o an issue. Don't know what the issue was but hasn't happened since.
    this seems like the same scenario. The phone was not charging, just lying on the bedside table.

Thanks for all the input. Hoping for the one time glitch.that the others posted.
    new pre user and i did a lot of search...

please help with any of these problems, i dont understand.

1. wanted to start over with everything so i ran Full restore.
    2. patches and software were left even after full restore
    3. ran WebOs Doctor twice!
    4. Problem still here (pre says i have 6.2gig left, when i try to install software from pre app cat it says not enough memory
    5. on QuickWebOs... i can download but when i try to install i get
    "error ... cannot find package ... and check spelling or perhaps run ipkg update"
    6. on palm i can see ALL the installed apps before full restore. but not on device management on quickWebosInstall

i search too much and do not know what to type in for search anymore.

anyone?
    Here's just one of the many threads about this (it's the most recent).
    Palm needs to address this SAFETY ISSUE -- NOW.

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/227843-complete-shutdown-pre.html
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 02/01/2010 at 04:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Since 1.3.5 there has been a minor issue with starting some Palm Pre's. It is demonstrated by:
    1. removing the battery
    2. wait 30 seconds or more
    3. insert battery
    4. start phone
    5. the phone will show the palm logo, but will not pulse as usual, at this point the phone is completely hung and will sit there draining the battery at a rather substantial rate
    6. Pressing Ctrl-Sym-R to reboot the phone will fix the issue and the phone will reboot as normal and start up as normal, you can tell it is starting normally when the Palm logo begins pulsing during the startup.

DBD: The issue you are discussing is not widespread, I have seen at most two units come into my store with this issue and generally a battery pull fixes the issue and neither of those customers have had to make repeat visits.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    For 2 days now overnight my Pre has died from 60%, it's fine in the day so not sure why, I thought it was repeat notifications patch so I removed it even though i get no notifications at night, any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Since 1.3.5 there has been a minor issue with starting some Palm Pre's. It is demonstrated by:
    1. removing the battery
    2. wait 30 seconds or more
    3. insert battery
    4. start phone
    5. the phone will show the palm logo, but will not pulse as usual, at this point the phone is completely hung and will sit there draining the battery at a rather substantial rate
    6. Pressing Ctrl-Sym-R to reboot the phone will fix the issue and the phone will reboot as normal and start up as normal, you can tell it is starting normally when the Palm logo begins pulsing during the startup.

DBD: The issue you are discussing is not widespread, I have seen at most two units come into my store with this issue and generally a battery pull fixes the issue and neither of those customers have had to make repeat visits.
    This is not a minor issue.
    It does not require a "simple" battery pull. A simple battery pull is; take the battery out for a minute, then put it back in.
    In my case, and in numerous other cases, the battery had to be left out of the Pre for 10-15 minutes-- presenting a MAJOR safety issue during an emergency, where every second counts.
    Pressing orange, sym and R did not fix it for me, nor others.
    Just because you only had two ppl come into your store w/this issue doesn't mean much.
    I see it here on this forum more and more, almost every day now.
    Something's up.
    This is really important.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 02/01/2010 at 05:16 AM.