1.    #1  
    My Last post was when I first purchased the Pre back in December of 09.
    I'm not going to rehash what's already out there...just point out things that surprised me coming from the iPhone.

THE GOOD: WEB OS is the mobile platform of the future, here NOW. Notifications are handled unobtrusively and elegantly: Receive an email? Miss a Call? New track playing (music app, even Pandora!!!). Get a new mention on twitter (tweed does not req. that app be open to receive notifications). A slick news ticker style bar keeps these constant streams of information organized and always at my finger tips. This is much more efficient than the pop up/ badge notification system on my iphone.

USB drive mode. This means freedom from that headache of a program iTunes. +1 palm, +1

The Physical Keyboard is awesome. It's great to be able to A - keep all of my screen real estate while entering in text fields and B- have the ability to search for just about anything from contacts to google from any screen.

The Back Panel Mirror is a slick touch...and much appreciated for the times I need to do a quick once over.

The convenience of always having the system menu at the top. I can instantly toggle wifi, bluetooth, led flashlight (nifty patch, hehe), and airplane mode no matter what application is in use.. On my iPhone to toggle anything I had to close my app...open the pref. app, toggle, then close that pref. app and re-open the previous app. Needless to say a huge waste of time!

TOUCHSTONE: Love how easy it is to charge and the auto speaker/ auto answer features that are enabled when mounted to the base.

I think in the long haul, WEB OS will come out as a top performer with widespread adoption.

THE BAD: The hardware sucks. Real Bad. I'm on my fourth and last Pre. I've had everything from cracks, loose slider mechanism, bad internal paint job?, crappy power button, keyboard gone bust (battery swap temp. fixed it), etc. It's good the software kicks so much *** because if this were any other manufacturer, this phone would be in the bottom of a lake mafia style. My iphone and sony erricsson win in this respect; I only had one of each and both were tough as nails. I do not enjoy having to drive back to the store and defend my reasons for exchanging, only to get a new phone with problems that my old one didn't have and being told it is "normal".
    In fact that would be major complaint with palm or any other cellphone manufacturer. I could always take the iPhone into Apple and get expert advice and the issue resolved by someone who knew exactly what they were working with. My pre support experience has been rather shotty, with most employees knowing very little about the phone outside of the advertised feature list...

These are my thoughts, how about yours?
    thanks for sharing.

I have a bit oreo with my pre, but nothing major for the past 7 months.

I'm not really keen on hardwares, so Pre is decent enough in my situation.

WebOS is great, I agree.
    +1. Minimal oreo on mine, which I'm beginning to think may be by design...sort of like how tall buildings have a bit of "play" built into them to allow for earthquakes, high winds and such. Haters can flame if they want...I don't tend to revisit threads to read venom anyway. Otherwise, my Pre been bulletproof since I picked it up last June. Touchstone is fantastic. I love this phone. Just picked up one for my 14 y.o. daughter for Christmas, and she's loving hers too.
    I too have had mine since the first week. Oreo, yes. But as of late the ear speaker is hard to keep active. I have done all the tricks I can do as far as cleaning the contacts of the headphone jack. That is where the contact problem exist. The phone is the best smartphone I have ever had as far as integration of the software. I do beat the hell out of my phone. Not by abuse but just the nature of my job. I am getting tied of having to answer calls in speaker mode. Yet, I do understand this is the first generation in a whole new era for Palm so I can accept some issues for now. It is very exciting to be a part of the resurgence to Palms future to take over the smartphone market again. I believe it will come in time and there will be some issues along the way. I would pay additional money for a phone that uses the top parts for hardware instead of lower cost parts. It will come... in time.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I too have had mine since the first week. Oreo, yes. But as of late the ear speaker is hard to keep active. I have done all the tricks I can do as far as cleaning the contacts of the headphone jack. That is where the contact problem exist. The phone is the best smartphone I have ever had as far as integration of the software. I do beat the hell out of my phone. Not by abuse but just the nature of my job. I am getting tied of having to answer calls in speaker mode. Yet, I do understand this is the first generation in a whole new era for Palm so I can accept some issues for now. It is very exciting to be a part of the resurgence to Palms future to take over the smartphone market again. I believe it will come in time and there will be some issues along the way. I would pay additional money for a phone that uses the top parts for hardware instead of lower cost parts. It will come... in time.
    I definitely agree with you abouut quality parts. I will be interested to see if palm made any engineering changes to the plus...I really think the pre is a great form factor.
    WebOs is so much more intuitive than every other OS I couldn't believe how clunky Android feels by comparison. I think the first post did a good job on the finer points of the Pre.

On the flipside,I'll be the first to admit that hardware issues plague the Pre. But if we have to hear one more Pre user say how they are on their X-th Pre then they better indicate whether they at least had the sense to use both a case AND a screen protector on each phone.

I don't know if its luck or not but that combination has served me well over 5 months, minor issues aside.
    Last edited by foosball; 01/16/2010 at 11:36 AM.
    Boy I keep hearing about hardware issues over and over. Am I really , seriously the ONLY one on the planet that finds the hardware just fine? I have had my Pre since early July and have had absolutely NONE, ZERO, ZILCH issues with any of the hardware.. hmmm

I agree, the whole Elegance of WebOs far exceeds anythign else out there. I love the slick card interface and the non annoying notifications.

Whether this will indeed be the mobile platform of the future remains to be seen. Sure would be if it were MY vote.
  8.    #8  
    I definitely think your lying! Your pre's hardware sucks you just don't know it! All kidding aside, if I would have received my fourth and current pre the first time, I would have had no problems either. I suspect, like most internet forums, the bad is the very vocal minority.

as for web os, I feel like the concept of the platform will become the future of all mobile os systems. Palm definitely took on a very ambitous task and developed software that gets the core stuff right (I.E. Contacts, email, messaging, notifications, web browsing, and phone) everything else developed around has a solid foundation to work with.**
    I'm quite happy with the hardware and the software. The only hardware issue I've had was the loss of the little USB port cover. I phoned Palm support and they quickly sent me a new one, gratis.

As for the software, I terribly miss voice dialing, and a searchable calendar. If the Pre had those two features, I could love this phone forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Boy I keep hearing about hardware issues over and over. Am I really , seriously the ONLY one on the planet that finds the hardware just fine? I have had my Pre since early July and have had absolutely NONE, ZERO, ZILCH issues with any of the hardware.. hmmm

I agree, the whole Elegance of WebOs far exceeds anythign else out there. I love the slick card interface and the non annoying notifications.

Whether this will indeed be the mobile platform of the future remains to be seen. Sure would be if it were MY vote.
    There are at least 2 of us with no problems on original Pre.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Boy I keep hearing about hardware issues over and over. Am I really , seriously the ONLY one on the planet that finds the hardware just fine?
    No, you are just one of the lucky ones. I've been around the unboxing of quite a few Pre's. The variability in build quality among them is astounding. Some are tight, solid, perfect. Others have a ton of oreo, etc.

Palm designs good phones and is making us a fantastic OS, but the Korean, Chinese, or whatever factory they farmed out the hardware manufacture to is spectacularly bad at consistency and quality control.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I am on a second one, but unlike others my issue was software related. So I got it replaced. I think folks heard a lot about the hardware issues and are testing the phone to see it has OREO effect. When you slide back and forth to see if this thing breaks , sure it breaks. Next thing they do is run to SPRINT store.

A tip here, when you slide the phone , place your thumb in the middle of the screen , not at the end of the screen (gesture area). The phone is just fine.
    I even dropped it three times. IT JUST WERKS.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    This review sounds like it came straight from my mouth. I totally agree with everything you said. I absolutely love webOS. It does everything amazingly well. If it does happen to fall short, there will be a patch that will allow me to choose if i want to use it.

With respect to hardware. 1 month ago, I would have said you're crazy. Then, my first, launch-day Pre blew a speaker. (this was due to palms 1.2.1 update having a bug, that if you have your headplugs in, the notification will come out of the speaker VERY loud.) So that blew my speaker. Sprint replaced it for me for free. That was the start of a process that has left me considering leaving Palm and Sprint. I have now gone through 4 Pre's and I'm about to receive my 5th. Ive seen slider issues, problems with my proximity sensor (when you make a call, the screen has a seizure b/c it thinks you are close to the proximity sensor,when nothing is), and also a blown speaker (yes, they gave me a refurb with a blown speaker). If they cannot get it right by the end of January, I will be using the raise in fees to leave Sprint, and unfortunately Palm too.

I hope none of you have to go through the refurb limbo like I have, but it seems pretty common. The refurbs are not being put through the quality control they neeed to before being sent back out.
    @ booklaw :

With regards to searchable calendar, if you sync to Google, the Google Calendar Search app works extremely well.
    There are may Pre owners that are happy with their phones. unfortunately, satisfied Pre owners do not seek out forums to express their feelings about their phone, so what you see in this forum is not a true representation of the Palm Pre. While some Pre owners seek out forums to learn more about their phones and better their experience, many people search out forums to complain. You can go into any forum for any phone brand and it is the same story, worst phone I have ever owned, on my 7th one and so on and so on. In our family we have had 3 Pres for almost 7 months now and are really happy with them!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    This review sounds like it came straight from my mouth. I totally agree with everything you said. I absolutely love webOS. It does everything amazingly well. If it does happen to fall short, there will be a patch that will allow me to choose if i want to use it.

With respect to hardware. 1 month ago, I would have said you're crazy. Then, my first, launch-day Pre blew a speaker. (this was due to palms 1.2.1 update having a bug, that if you have your headplugs in, the notification will come out of the speaker VERY loud.) So that blew my speaker. Sprint replaced it for me for free. That was the start of a process that has left me considering leaving Palm and Sprint. I have now gone through 4 Pre's and I'm about to receive my 5th. Ive seen slider issues, problems with my proximity sensor (when you make a call, the screen has a seizure b/c it thinks you are close to the proximity sensor,when nothing is), and also a blown speaker (yes, they gave me a refurb with a blown speaker). If they cannot get it right by the end of January, I will be using the raise in fees to leave Sprint, and unfortunately Palm too.

I hope none of you have to go through the refurb limbo like I have, but it seems pretty common. The refurbs are not being put through the quality control they neeed to before being sent back out.
    I feel for you! When I was going through the exchange process, I began to wonder how the pixi's hardware was...WEB OS is addicting, I don't care where I get my fix.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    There are may Pre owners that are happy with their phones. unfortunately, satisfied Pre owners do not seek out forums to express their feelings about their phone, so what you see in this forum is not a true representation of the Palm Pre. While some Pre owners seek out forums to learn more about their phones and better their experience, many people search out forums to complain. You can go into any forum for any phone brand and it is the same story, worst phone I have ever owned, on my 7th one and so on and so on. In our family we have had 3 Pres for almost 7 months now and are really happy with them!
    Well said, this applies to almost any such forum. Having said that, online forums are a great resource for people with problems to resolve their issues. Troubleshooting online is typically faster and more accurate than calling for support. Beside the major complaint/flamewar threads, I feel that precentral community is quite positive about their product. I do not agree that the forums are not a "true" representation. A few major issues have been acknowledged and resolved by Palm through customers voicing their concerns here and elsewhere. On the flip side they realize the things they did right. Through good and bad comments, we are all contributing to the evolution of our devices. I am just grateful that officially palm is listening and unofficially that the homebrew devs are ready at a whim!
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    There are at least 2 of us with no problems on original Pre.
    Make that three. I only had the power button cave in which Sprint fixed. That was it. I wouldn't call that an issue.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    I've only had my Pre for a month. I've had no issues with the hardware. I hope it stays that way. My old Treo 650 (you can see how long I keep a phone!) was a battle horse, rock solid. The Pre does not feel as solid, I think because of the slider, but I don't percieve that as an issue. The Pre form factor is the best. Touchstone add whole other dimension as well.

WebOS is outstanding! It is a little immature and feature / setting light (especially compared to blackberry) but is so much better integrated and easier to use. Palm is constantly improving the OS adding features and functions as well.

I am really liking this phone.
    Heres my take folks... I bought my pre with MUCH hesitation as I am inherently ROUGH on phones. This being fact this was PROBABLY not the phone of choice for me- but my techie side must have the latest and greatest amongst the best.

My pre's have all taken some pretty good abuse- i about had a heart attack the first time i dropped mine. Picked her up, dusted her off and good to go. Not so bad after all.
    I am however, on my 3rd pre. Something about the speakers in these seems to just bug me- on my previous 2 the internal speakers have gone kaput and the external speaker now seems to be going on this one as it tends to clip on ringtones/notifications etc.

Also on this one I did manage to get a heirline crack on the top by the power buttom- some jerk at the Monster Jam show i went to decided to push by me before i could respectfully get up and knocked it down a step or 2 of solid concrete steps in our arena here in Iowa. Dammit anywho but my screen protector i had just put on that morning bailed me out of some pretty good scratches as well.

So truth be told- i feel this is a decently durable phone, but you must take care of it like any other piece of electronic equipment. You cant beat the snot out of it and expect it to hold up.