Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    mods forgive me & move if posted in wrong spot ...
    Rumour late last year had Telus releasing the Pre in January 2010. Nothing more since. Anybody got any insight as to when ?
    The second question is what ... will it be CDMA and the Pre+ or HSPA(GSM) or ...
    Getting very impatient I want my Pre
    Anybody know/suspect/got even a swag ?
  2. #2  
    Isn't Bell selling the pre in Canada?
  3. #3  
    Do yourself a favor. Ditch Telus and go with Bell for the Pre.
  4. #4  
    I too had heard that Telus would be carrying the Pre, so I stopped in at a Telus store to see if they had any screen protectors. Not only do they not have either the Pre, or the protectors....the sales staff weren't aware of any plans to carry the Pre. (not that the sales staff know everything......)

    As for using Bell......I'd seriously wait and see if WindMobile, or the next new service provider (not sure as to the name), will be carrying the Pre. Currently Bell shows a complete lack of interest in the Pre....they carry it, but they don't actively support it, their tech support is useless, customer service really sucks, and the sales twits are basically useless.

    No one in the entire Bell organization has indicated when, or even if, they are going to allow their Pre customers to access the full palm app catalogue. Currently we can only get the (no disrespect to the developers) crappy free apps.

    (I do have the Pre through Bell, bought it one month prior to Bell changing their data plans, I was fortunate enough to get their (now discontinued) unlimited data plan.)
  5. Vij
    Vij is offline
    Vij's Avatar
    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    #5  
    This was the most recent news i found

    MobileSyrup.com - Canadian Mobile Phone News & Reviews - Cell phones and Accessories

    Silence since then...
  6.    #6  
    Am aware of Bell carrying Pre but having used both Telus (currently with them) & Bell, I would prefer to stay with Telus
    Can only agree with earlier observations - support and knowledge at all levels of both organizations leaves much to be desired with all smart phones (including BB). Data cost is usurious to say the least
    But ... pretty much only games in town (am ignoring Rogers - yet another story). The new players have very limited scope so until they build out not an option, even if they were to offer the phone

    If Telus does nothing in the fairly short term then I will move to Bell

    Just found it curious that since Nov rumour of Telus to carry the Pre there has been total silence everywhere. Makes me wonder if there's something great on the horizon (Pre+ in GSM/HSPD version) Even Pre+ CDMA would work for me
    Strange that nobody knows nuttin
  7. #7  
    The paid apps thign has nothing to do with Bell, at all. It's a palm thing. Paid apps are US only, and that's because Palm's system currently doesn't accept credit cards from outside the US, so the paid apps are not available outside there.

    As for Bell support, I deal with Bell support, Rogers support, and Telus support for my job, and honestly, they are all equally inept. When you deal with all of them extensively like I do you learn that none of them are really better than the other.

    My personal phone, which is a Pre, is with Bell obviously. To be honest, I've had the least number of problems with bell, and on my personal account I've been with them for 6 years with no issues.

    For Telus, I'd almost prefer they just wait until there is a GSM version of the Pre Plus and Pixi plus, then pick those up. Both Bell and Telus are still releasing some new phones on their CDMA network but it does make sense for them to release newer, better phones on their new HSPA network.
  8. #8  
    I gotthe fab 10 student plan on my pre. Lol
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    The paid apps thign has nothing to do with Bell, at all. It's a palm thing. Paid apps are US only, and that's because Palm's system currently doesn't accept credit cards from outside the US, so the paid apps are not available outside there.
    Thanks for the information. I have been wondering why access to the paid app catalogue is blocked.

    Have you got any information (or rumour) on when or if Palm is going to get the catalogue out to the other countries?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Thanks for the information. I have been wondering why access to the paid app catalogue is blocked.

    Have you got any information (or rumour) on when or if Palm is going to get the catalogue out to the other countries?
    Palm's already announced in March, European countries get paid apps. Canadians, nope
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  11. #11  
    @Jason Robitaille

    Thanks for the reply.

    Several questions/points come to mind........;
    1) Why is there an issue with getting paid apps into Canada?
    2) Who can be contacted at Palm to either rectify this situation, or to get some form of an official progress report on getting the catalogue out.
    3) If no satisfactory answer is forthcoming, then consideration of legal actions may be looked at.
    4) Taking the issue direct to the media. It is well known that the lack of telecom competition has caused the Canadian market to be one of the most expensive and least serviced countries. The media may be very interested to find out that there may actually be collusion on the part of a hardware supplier to keep service and expectations low.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    @Jason Robitaille

    Thanks for the reply.

    Several questions/points come to mind........;
    1) Why is there an issue with getting paid apps into Canada?
    2) Who can be contacted at Palm to either rectify this situation, or to get some form of an official progress report on getting the catalogue out.
    3) If no satisfactory answer is forthcoming, then consideration of legal actions may be looked at.
    4) Taking the issue direct to the media. It is well known that the lack of telecom competition has caused the Canadian market to be one of the most expensive and least serviced countries. The media may be very interested to find out that there may actually be collusion on the part of a hardware supplier to keep service and expectations low.
    I honestly hope you're not being serious.............Because I laughed at that post, and I'd feel bad if you were being serious.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    I honestly hope you're not being serious.............Because I laughed at that post, and I'd feel bad if you were being serious.
    Wunderbar, I feel the same way. I'm so ready to sue it's not funny.

    The lack of info from Bell on the Palm app store is... ^&%$^&%ing me off big time.

    I don't know what the hassle is. I assume it has to do with govt regulation of internet sales or something.

    Jon Rubenstein has already been through it when he launched iTunes, so it's not like he's new to launching an internet app store. So it's not like Palm is incompetent when it comes to international agreements with app stores. My guess is that there's some stupidity going on with Bell, or the Can Govt.

    Bell, Telus, it doesn't really matter when it comes to information about what phone is coming and when. Most sales reps know about as much as you or I when it comes to new phones coming to market.

    My guess is that Telus will get the Pixi and the Pre in Feb or March sometime. (It's late for a Jan release) but I've been with Telus and Bell and the two are kinda similar. Telus slightly outperforming Bell with customer service, but not by much. But hey, both are way better than Rogers!
  14. #14  
    But the app store has nothing to do with Bell, at all. That's what I don't get. Palm has to sort out getting the app store ready for Canada, and other countries. That's pretty much the way it is with every company. They launch in the US, then work on launching in other places. Lets take the iTunes exampe. The iTunes music store launched in the US 2 years before it did in Canada, same with getting TV shows in the iTunes store. Canada has different laws and regulations than the US, and that's why we don't see things launch here right away. There are so many examples of this it's not even funny. Hulu, Pandora, streaming video from pretty much every US network.

    I want to get paid apps as much as the next guy. But I'm not going to go stomp around about it because I understand that the laws are different, and it's actually really hard to get proper licensing/etc. to put this stuff out there. Palm is not a big company, and honestly, they are doing the right thing by making sure they get the app store and development stable in their core market first, before branching it out to other parts of the world.

Posting Permissions