1.    #1  
    Okay, I'm trying to get my Pre working normally again, so I decided to do a total reset. Did the full erase and then did the doctor, and let everything sync - and now I noticed that a bunch of RANDOM contacts are missing. These are contacts who I've had ever since I had my Centro, some of which are just a name and phone #, so it doesn't seem to be a synergy issue. I don't really see a pattern as to which ones got restored and which ones didn't. So I tried doing a second full erase and the exact same thing happened again. Anyone know what is going on here???
    This happened to me also I believe. I was also missing some of my apps. I just did another WebOS Doctor on the phone and the 2nd time everything was there. Give it a try, worked for me at least.
  3.    #3  
    The thing that especially annoys me about this is before I started the erase, I did a backup (I also noticed that it hadn't done an auto backup since 1/8/10, despite being set to backup every day) so there's NO EXCUSE why all of my contacts should not be synced.

Is this a Sprint issue or a Palm issue, because if I don't get this resolved after the next doctoring, then I am going to have to contact them directly about this. This is extremely not cool, especially since unlike my Centro, there's no built in way to backup/sync my contacts to my PC. And using Google contacts as a middleman is NOT the professional option.
    "Google contacts as a middleman is NOT the professional option"

I disagree.
  5.    #5  
    Well, the good news is that the PalmDatabase.db3 file has ALL of my contacts. So restoring the file gets my complete contact list back. Of course, this ALSO brings back the problems I've been having with my phone. At the least, I can now sync my contacts into my google account. And NO, having to rely on google in order to keep your contacts safe is NOT professional AT ALL. If Palm wanted to take away hotsync, they need to replace it with a backup system that WORKS. I've been reading other horror stories about Pre users who've lost their entire contact list and Palm being unable to restore anything from their cloud.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fusoya View Post
    And using Google contacts as a middleman is NOT the professional option.
    How so? By migration your contacts over to google you now have a viable way to sync them with your phone and your desktop. Just like using exchange so I fail to see how its not professional other than lacking an actual desktop program.
  7.    #7  
    Because Palm advertises their phone as being able to automatically backup your personal information to their cloud. Plenty of us can attest to the fact that this DOES NOT WORK, and have to fall back on Google in order to keep our contacts from getting lost (which, I'm learning, is not even a simple task to migrate over). I'm wasting my Friday night by learning perl scripts and tearing apart a database file just so I can have my damn contacts list work, because the backup system that Palm has in place is broken, and has been broken since day 1, it seems. It is extremely unprofessional of Palm to make us have to use an alternate backup/sync method because they can't provide one, yet still give off the illusion that they can. If I didn't make a manual backup of the database file (yet one more thing the phone should be able to do OUT OF THE BOX), then I would have lost a ton of contacts for good.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Because Palm advertises their phone as being able to automatically backup your personal information to their cloud. Plenty of us can attest to the fact that this DOES NOT WORK, and have to fall back on Google in order to keep our contacts from getting lost (which, I'm learning, is not even a simple task to migrate over). I'm wasting my Friday night by learning perl scripts and tearing apart a database file just so I can have my damn contacts list work, because the backup system that Palm has in place is broken, and has been broken since day 1, it seems. It is extremely unprofessional of Palm to make us have to use an alternate backup/sync method because they can't provide one, yet still give off the illusion that they can. If I didn't make a manual backup of the database file (yet one more thing the phone should be able to do OUT OF THE BOX), then I would have lost a ton of contacts for good.
    Man don't waste your Friday you should have asked look here at the guide I wrote for this guy....

Transfer contacts by email as a Vcard

Just checked the thread seems the patch has broke since 1.3.5.1 Webos Internals Patch Contacts Send all via Email as Vcard he says he has updated the code to work on the page but the new version has not made it into preware feed yet.

I'll see if I can post an updated version for you..
    Last edited by helidos; 01/15/2010 at 07:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Updated the patch to work... here's the link

Send Contacts via Email
  10.    #10  
    THANK YOU.

I've been messing with this phone (and all of those lame perl scripts which ONLY transfer the name, phone # and email) for the last 5 hours and THIS is how I got my Palm contacts into google:

did a Full Erase and Doctor to restore my phone to factory settings
    restored the PalmDatabase.db3 file to my phone
    installed and ran the Transfer contacts by email as a Vcard patch (this takes quite a while to run)
    imported the vcards into Google
    did another factory reset on my phone
    imported contacts from Google
    voila

the only thing that didn't transfer are the avatars which were manually set (and imported from my Centro), and I'm not sure how to even save or change these....

if Palm's Backup program actually worked, this all would have been taken care of by itself.....
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    THANK YOU.

I've been messing with this phone (and all of those lame perl scripts which ONLY transfer the name, phone # and email) for the last 5 hours and THIS is how I got my Palm contacts into google:

did a Full Erase and Doctor to restore my phone to factory settings
    restored the PalmDatabase.db3 file to my phone
    installed and ran the Transfer contacts by email as a Vcard patch (this takes quite a while to run)
    imported the vcards into Google
    did another factory reset on my phone
    imported contacts from Google
    voila

the only thing that didn't transfer are the avatars which were manually set (and imported from my Centro), and I'm not sure how to even save or change these....

if Palm's Backup program actually worked, this all would have been taken care of by itself.....

Glad you got it working.... You can manually link the contact pics and they will sync to gmail. But I think gmail crops them.... just looked at mine and the ones on gmail are cropped but it seems to use the ones I have on the phone that where taken with the camera.
    Last edited by helidos; 01/15/2010 at 09:44 PM.