Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I thought I would start a new thread specifically for Canadians looking to get a GSM Palm Pre working with 3G.

I currently have a TELCEL Palm Pre, a Rebel SIM II and most importantly a OLD non-3G FIDO SIM Card (The new 3G SIM Cards do not work with Rebel SIM as yet). I believe my Sim Card is from 2001/2002 I believe but I think any sim card prior to 2008 will work...

I know the Phone Radio is unlocked because when I boot up the phone I can make and receive calls but since I am on firmware 1.2.5 I am unable to activate my phone and set up my profile over Wi-Fi (and I also cannot do this through my mobile network as it will not allow me to do so while "Roaming").

Next week I plan to Meta Modify my WebOS Doctor to bypass activation as a STEP 1. This way the phone will be operational along with PDA Functionality

After I do this what should be my next step to get fully operational? I am wondering if I do STEP 1 whether I will be in a position to create a profile using the wireless network or Wi-Fi? Also what if I do not have a profile, what functionality will not work?
    B-E-A-S-T! Thank You for the breath of fresh air in here.
    I hear the air in Canada is also cleaner than it is in the USA. Is that true?

I hope you do not mind if I jump over here to continue working on a solution for our troubles. It does actually make some sense, at least it does to me. Canadian Rogers/FIDO 3G frequencies are the same as AT&T's in the USA. Furthermore, I've already done quite a lot of work on this effort and hopefully it will lead to a resolution for you Canadian Rogers/FIDO 3G customers as well as AT&T customers in the USA.

I must say, it saddens me that the effort many of us have been working towards and which so many precentral members as well as people worldwide have closely followed over in the AT&T thread has become tainted by a member hell bent on destruction.

Without further ado, I'll begin posting updates and participating in this thread's discussion along with others who are solely interested in and working towards unlocking or using a Telcel Palm Pre with 3G on Rogers/Fido and AT&T's networks.

Here's an brief update with not much new news yet since yesterday's revelation which now has us focused on the 128K versus 64K SIM differences. The good news is my Telcel Pre has arrived back home here in the USA from RebelSIM card company in the UK. I am now working on getting a 64K SIM chip programmed by AT&T so we can insert it along with a Rebel SIM card into a Telcel palm Pre. That's the only real glimmer of hope we have to hang our hats on right now, and I'm not going to waste any time before checking it out.

Will post results as soon as I can. Someone please cross your fingers and maybe even your eyes and toes too!
    Thanks,
    Barry
  3.    #3  
    Barry you are welcome here anytime. You are 100% correct, AT&T, Rogers and Fido all operate primarily on the 850MHz spectrum for their UTMS/HSPA service. The similarities continue as we to here in Canada have been switched over to the 128k SIM Cards since 2008.

I wonder if there is anyway for the administrator to change the heading of this thread to reflect ALL of the people that would be unlocking the TELCEL Palm Pre for 3G connectivity purposes, namely Australia - Telstra's NextG Network, Canada - Rogers/FIDO and USA - AT&T

Anyways I believe my sim card is either the 16K or 32K model...I do not know for sure about the 64k cards but I guess you will get this answer for the forum.

Thanks Again Barry and I look forward to your input
    128k sim cards??? I thought that all AT&T sim cards nowadays are 64k...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmw135i View Post
    128k sim cards??? I thought that all AT&T sim cards nowadays are 64k...
    Nowadays all AT&T SIM cards are or should be 128K. There's still some 64K SIMS floating around. I have a source for some of the older 64K SIM cards, but it doesn't matter, after getting a 64K AT&T SIM programmed with my number at AT&T, it did not work with the RebelSIM card in my Telcel Palm Pre. If anyone can think of something else to try, please let us know here in this thread.

On a separate note, earlier today I asked the moderators to close the Unlocked Telcel Palm Pre on AT&T thread. Thay have now done so. kevinrirvine continued to attack me, claiming I doctored emails. I've repeatedly stated that is not true. What motivation would I have had to do so? I don't care who comes up with a solution to the locked Telcel Palm Pre problem, and whoever does, should be proud of the accomplishment. I don't want any credit, I just want an unlocked Telcel Palm Pre to work on AT&T. Plain and simple! My interests were solely to further that effort and hopefully someone who participates will lead to a solution. I welcomed any Precentral members who were willing to participate towards that common interest.

I now believe RebelSIM must have sent kevin and I the same email explaining the situation at that time. Kevin persists in calling me dishonest and a liar. My integrity has been challanged and it saddens me that he chooses to continue attacking my character despite repeated claims I've not done what he accuses me of.

I want to thank the many friends here who have taken the time to PM me telling me to ignore him. Those of you who I have corresponded with over the years, as well as those of you who have read every post I made in my latest effort here, to get the Telcel Palm Pre unlocked and working on AT&T are clearly not listening to the rhetoric Mr. Irvine continues to spew. I appreciate your trust in my integrity.

Respectfully Submitted,
    Barry

P.S. even though I had the other thread closed, we're not giving up. Work and ideas posted here in this thread will hopefully lead to us to a solution!
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 01/17/2010 at 04:06 AM.
    IC... well let me go in the garage I should have several 32k sim cards... and there are a few sellers on ebay too...
    Last edited by Bmw135i; 01/17/2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmw135i View Post
    IC... well let me go in the garage I should have several 32k sim cards...

I anticipate reading the results of your tests. If you find the 32K SIM's allow you to get past the network subsidy unlock screen I for one, will be jumping for joy.

Background information for all:

We are basing our focus on the 128K sIMM cards only because that is what the folks at RebelSIM card company stated is keeping their RebelSIM card from providing the unlock solution for AT&T and other North American carriers. I've since tried a 64K AT&T SIM card without success, so the report from RebelSIM card is now suspect.

Bmw135i is going to try a 32K SIM. That should either substantiate the claims made by RebelSIM card, or bring into further question the results provided by them.

Thanks,
    Barry
    OK guys, since the other thread is closed.... let me tell you that my RebelSim II arrived last friday and I tried to use it in my Telcel Palm Pre and other phone (Motorola A1200, unlocked using IMEI), results:

1.- I tried to use the RebelSim in the Pre with mi Movistar (2nd largest GSM carrier in México) SIM card, which contains a new number from November 2009 and the thing didn't work.

2.- I tried to use the Rebel in the Pre with another Movistar GSM SIM card (from 2006, the oldest number I could find) and it didn't work either. Please note that I don't even know how to tell wich one is 64 or 128 KB, but I guess that the first one is 128 and the oldest one is 64 KB.

3.- I tried to use the Rebel with my other phone (unlocked Motorola A1200) with the newer Movistar SIM and the Telcel SIM that is on the Pre (if you want to know, I bought the Pre and it didn't come with a SIM card, instead I'm using one which is from 2008 I guess)... ok, and after testing and testing I could say that this sh!t DOES NOT WORK... I can access the STK menu and everything, but... the question is... "if the phone is fully unlocked, why the hell the RebelSim does nothing??? (no calls, no SMS's, no data... no signal at all).

I started to investigate and I found this: 50 rebel sim card failed to unlock Telcel or Movistar Mexico [Archive] - GSM-Forum

also I found more cases where the Rebel is having problems with the iPhone (I think that those problems are now bypassed): Alerta Tarjetas Rebel Sim Card. Publicidad engañosa « iPhoneFan Foro

but more interesting of all of this history is that I found that the RebelSIM is being sold on first instace by the guys of the site X-Simcard Home page (I think that they are the providers of the rebelsim.com guys, because they only sold quantities starting from 100) and they also have a forum for support:

Rebel SIM Card - GSM-Forum

I will be checking that forum to see what happens.

Greetings from MX
    I know this has been posted before but not on this thread. Telus (Canada) is rumoured to start offering the Palm Pre this month

Telus to launch GSM Pre and Pixi in January? - all things Palm Pre - PreThinking

I bought an HTC Hero from them and had it up and working on ATT's 3G network in minutes. I have no problems on it and will be picking up a Pre if the rumor is indeed true for my wife who remains a Palm loyalist (she currently uses a Palm Treo 680).

I am assuming the unlocking process for the Telus Pre will be much easier than the Telcel one? At least I hope so...
  10.    #10  
    I can confirm that using a 32k SIM and am past the network subsidy code screen no problem....
    Quote Originally Posted by B-E-A-S-T View Post
    I can confirm that using a 32k SIM and am past the network subsidy code screen no problem....
    I have come under alot of scrutiny here from the community as of late unjustly I might add and there will be no more barbs between you know who and myself. However, if you go back to the now closed thread and it is well documented this was a long shot from the very beginning and I told Barry many times by phone that REBEL SIM COULD NOT BE TRUSTED AND WERE UNRELIABLE AND HE DID NOT LISTEN. They are a dishonest, not reptutable company and my quess is they never ran any tests on Barry's Pre for they did not take us seriously as a group and the 64 k sim idea I knew was a joke from the very beginning. Why oh Why won't any of you listen to me for there is NO CHANCE, ZERO, THIS WILL BE UNLOCKED EVER. NONE. And yes, like Barry I have already tried the 64 k sim with zero success and now your all going back to the Flintstone's cartoon era using 32 k sim's to see if this will work. What next? Give it up people it is over and I am not God far from it, but have known this for almost one month so when will the rest of you truly get it.
    Point Blank and if the few of you left holding out false hope for an unlocking solution anytime soon you really all need to go to your local therapist and quickly for IT WILL NEVER, EVER HAPPEN. YOU ALL OWN $500.00 BRICKS YOU MAY AS WELL RECYCLE OR GIVE TO YOUR LOCAL CHARITY. KEVIN
    P.S. SERIOUSLY, ANY OF YOU PROVE I AM WRONG HERE FOR YOU CANNOT AND NEVER WILL. GIVE IT UP THE FAT LADY HAS SUNG HER FINAL NOTES AND HAS ALREADY LEFT THE BUILDING.
    Do you know if I can buy a 32KB programmable SIM on eBay and transfer to it all the number data (not contacts, just phone line info) from any SIM card, I mean, de SIM must be virgin.

Could it be a solution?
    Will 3G and all services be availlable?
  13.    #13  
    Do not know when carriers in the US stopped using 32K SIM's but they still do in Europe and many places in South America from what I have read...Fido/Rogers switched to 64k in 2006/2007 from what Fido told me...

It is very important to note that the SIM type has no impact on the type of connectivity you will experience from your Carrier's network, you will have less memory on your SIM to save contacts is all I am lead to believe.

I am waiting to see my brother this weekend so he can help me Meta Doctor the new TELCEL 1.3.5.1 software. After that I will create my profile using Wi-Fi, change the APN settings and then see how Rebel works on the phone radio part -- I already know I can make outbound calls and if you read the other TurboSIM thread I am lead to believe once I do the above my phone will be fully functional and UNLOCKED!!!

Here's to hoping for the best...
    Last edited by B-E-A-S-T; 01/19/2010 at 10:30 AM.
    Do not know when carriers in the US stopped using 32K SIM's but they still do in Europe and many places in South America from what I have read...Fido/Rogers switched to 64k in 2006/2007 from what Fido told me...

It is very important to note that the SIM type has no impact on the type of connectivity you will experience from your Carrier's network, you will have less memory on your SIM to save contacts is all I am lead to believe.

I am waiting to see my brother this weekend so he can help me Meta Doctor the new TELCEL 1.3.5.1 software. After that I will create my profile using Wi-Fi, change the APN settings and then see how Rebel works on the phone radio part -- I already know I can make outbound calls and if you read the other TurboSIM thread I am lead to believe once I do the above my phone will be fully functional and UNLOCKED!!!

Here's to hoping for the best...
    B-E-A-S-T

You say " I already know I can make outbound calls " with a 32K SIM inserted using a rebelSIM card? Maybe i missed it. How do you know this?

If that is indeed the case, you are right on the money Everything should work.

I will do my best to free some time to make your meta doctor for you. if you get one made, before I can do it, let me know.

Now, I need a source for a couple 32K blank SIM cards so I can get AT&T to program my number on one .

Oh I hope our our dreams are not going to get dashed again.

Thanks to everyone who is supporting this effort!.

Oh My gosh!

B-E-A-S-T, you've done it. It will work once you have web os doctor 1.3.1 or higher on your phone. Do you have to have a meta doctor image to use wi-fi to activate your phone. (I forgot already DUH).

Wow, this is great news for Rogers/Fido customers.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 01/20/2010 at 08:57 AM.
    General fyi...AT&T (then Cingular) went to UICC's (U-SIM) back in '05 - meaning you needed a new sim with the UMTS networks NAC to access 3G. The standard 64k and 32k legacy Cingular couldn't access the 3G network and were phased out when customers upgraded to 3G capable devices. I used to work there back in '04-'06 so this may have changed since then, so don't hold me to this 100%. Good luck nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknight View Post
    General fyi...AT&T (then Cingular) went to UICC's (U-SIM) back in '05 - meaning you needed a new sim with the UMTS networks NAC to access 3G. The standard 64k and 32k legacy Cingular couldn't access the 3G network and were phased out when customers upgraded to 3G capable devices. I used to work there back in '04-'06 so this may have changed since then, so don't hold me to this 100%. Good luck nonetheless.
    Blacknight,

Thanks for filling us in. Just checked with an associate and by golly you're right on the mark.

So whilst Rogers/Fido users likely have a doable solution at hand thanks to B-E-A-S-T's discovery, those of us in AT&T land still are lacking a Palm Pre 3G solution.

Sign me, depressed
    Hi guys, any news or email from the guys at RebelSim?
  19.    #19  
    If anyone in this forum is willing to Meta-Doctor a Telcel WebOS Doctor 1.3.5.1 for me so that I can activate over Wi-Fi let me know, PM me and I will send you an email address where I can accept such a huge attachment...doing this will serve to prove a path to everyone on this forum...if not I will have to get my brother-in-law to do so for me, one of the problems is that I only have a Mac and MacPorts is failing on me...

As for the 32k sim not being able to access the 3G Network, I respectfully disagree...I spoke to one of the Rogers/Fido Network Engineers and he confirmed that there are people on their UTMS/HSPA networks with the legacy 8k cards...also do a web search and you will see that there are lots of people in the same situation all over the world, I think it was in HoFo forums where there was a specific thread on this.

Barry - don't give up on geting yourself a 32K SIM, it is worth a try...

As for where I stand, when I upgraded the OS to 1.3.5.1 I get to the profile creation screen but it fails because it deems that I am roaming...if I go to make an emergency call and wipe out the 911 number and replace it with a normal number it will make a call and my phone number will properly register on the other end...the MOST promising part is the fact that my carrier name shows up on the top left of the screen! When I read the TurboSIM thread it strikes me that Rebel SIM is working and in fact my phone is unlocked...
    Just want to give my apologies here, I know I promised I'll help dig through the firmware and everything, but I fell sick during the holidays, and now at work I'm completely swamped so I won't have time to look into this.

Sorry guys, and keep up the good work. I'll still spiritually support everyone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast