Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgraper01 View Post
    Scenario:
    just followed a brilliant impulse (impulse buy? what could go wrong?!) and purchased a Palm Pre from Europe, planning to use the phone with my Rogers SIM in Canada and T-Mobile in the States with the Rebel SIM. T-Mobile is not really an issue, I understand it does work. My concern is with Rogers.

Question:
    will I be able to receive calls and text messages with reasonable reliability on my Rogers SIM (2005 SIM card, UICC it reads on the back) with a Palm Pre and Rebel SIM?

Note:
    I am not concerned about 3G capability, as I have wi-fi everywhere I travel.

Treonauts: shall I start gnashing my teeth or crying tears of inconsolable sadness? Speak frankly, and much thanks!
    Depends on which EU Pre you purchased.
    - If you bought the EU UK Pre, it's locked and requires the RebelSIM to unlock, however it's become all to apparent that RebelSIM card does not work with UICC SIM's (don't kid yourself, that includes T-Mobile UICC SIM's). Since there are better options for you I am hoping you did not buy the EU UK Pre planning to use it inNorth America.
    - If you bought the EU German Pre with a QWERTZ keyboard, it will take your Rogers UICC Sim, and your T-Mobile SIM and work just fine right out of the box, except keep in mind you'll be living with 2G EDGE data speeds (150k - 190k) when you don't have a Wi-Fi connection available.
    - If you bought the EU Movistar Spain Pre, then I suggest you have it unlocked by IMEI if you're planning to use in with North American SIM's. I have heard IMEI unlocking is readily available for this Movistar Pre, and since you plan on using a UICC SIM, that's the only sure fire way.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    [B][U]I am hoping you did not buy the EU UK Pre planning to use it inNorth America.
    It is indeed a UK Pre. So it's a non-starter, even with a 32k Rogers SIM?
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgraper01 View Post
    It is indeed a UK Pre. So it's a non-starter, even with a 32k Rogers SIM?
    Wouldn't use the term non-starter.
    It's unknown if you might have success with a 64K Rogers SIM in the O2 UK Palm Pre, however we've had some success using a Rogers 32K SIM with a RebelSIM card in a Telcel Palm Pre. No such success with the 64K SIM's.

RebelSIM has only made one statement on this subject, apparently aware that their product currently is unable to support 128K SIMs.

Please post your results with a 64K Rogers SIM and a 32K Rogers SIM using the Rebel SIM card. We'd like to know how it works out. I'm pretty sure a 32K Rogers SIM will work however you'll probably need to add the Rogers network info, or edit the carrier network apn settings file.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Kind of depressing, lots of effort and money spent by the likes of Toptonguebarry and still no real progress towards an unlocking solution on the Telcel GSM Pre that would be fully AT&T compatible with a current SIM. What a bummer. Rebel Sim folks seem like unreliable hacks who try and get others to pay for and to their R&D.

I guess I will have to wait another 5 months minimum until AT&T picks up the "two Web OS" devices they mentioned a few weeks back.

GSM Treo Pro still cuts it but Pre would be great!
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Kind of depressing, lots of effort and money spent by the likes of Toptonguebarry and still no real progress towards an unlocking solution on the Telcel GSM Pre that would be fully AT&T compatible with a current SIM. What a bummer. Rebel Sim folks seem like unreliable hacks who try and get others to pay for and to their R&D.

I guess I will have to wait another 5 months minimum until AT&T picks up the "two Web OS" devices they mentioned a few weeks back.

GSM Treo Pro still cuts it but Pre would be great!

Interesting thing I've noted is the statement by RebelSIM card about the problem being with 128K SIM's. Here's why:

I just got a Samsung Flight a797 locked to AT&T to use temporarily until we have a solution allowing a Palm Pre to work on AT&T's 3G network. I popped the Telcel 128K SIM card along with a RebelSIM card into the Samsung a797 and it worked. That's right, The RebelSIM card provided an unlock solution for the 128K Telcel SIM card in the Samsung a797 locked to AT&T. Places more holes in the answer given to us by RebelSIM card about 128k SIM cards.

Here's more information I've gathered since last posting in here. I took an AT&T 64K 3G SIM card inserted it with the same RebelSIM card that worked in the Samsung into the Telcel Palm Pre and was able to get past the "enter Network subsidy unlock code" screen on the Telcel Palm Pre (phone turned on and went right to the OS) however the Telcel Pre showed "Check SIM card, SOS only" . Network preferences screen reported "Network error". I tried several times, same result.

Leads me to wonder if theres some firmware lock on the Telcel Palm Pre which prevents the use of an AT&T network SIM card in it. I'd hunt down a T-Mobile 64K SIM right now, but I'm just to beat up by this effort. Will be working on it again in a day or two.

Sign me truly depressed.

TTB.
    Hi folks, I found this youtube video:

It seems that the "EASYisim" is unlocking an O2 palm pre to use an Orange SIMcard, but again: will this work on a mexican telcel palm pre???

more info here: World best EASYisim all accessories in Mobile code.

In the "mexican ebay" (MercadoLibre) I found a guy who sells something called "I-Turbo" (it is very similar to the one that appears in the video). I will give it a try since it costs only about 17 USD including fast shipping, here is the link: MercadoLibre: Flexeo, flexea y desbloquea tu celular instantaneamente - $ 110.00

I will keep you informed guys.

PD: Could it be possible to flash the telcel palm pre to use the O2 firmware and bypass the protection and finally use the RebelSIM???
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilera_reyes View Post
    Could it be possible to flash the telcel palm pre to use the O2 firmware and bypass the protection and finally use the RebelSIM???
    Yes, Using WebOS Meta-Doctor. Early on during my testing I flashed my Telcel Pre with both the Sprint and EU WebOS images. Had no success back then. Now, with the knowledge gained over a month and a half of testing with the RebelSIM card, and no unlock solution at hand, I may try again.

Sign me as weary .

TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/02/2010 at 01:34 PM.
  8.    #48  
    I tried to copy a new CarrierSettings.db3 file once without luck -- tomi666 is going try and write me a new file from scratch, will report back to the group. Thanks!
    Hey guys, got a question. If I got my Pre in America(on Sprint network) and I study in Mexico a few months over summer, can I use a sim card to get on Telcel? Or do the US Pre's not come with SIM card capability?
    There is a lot of people in México who bought the Sprint Pre last year and already hacked the device to work in "Iusacell" (the only one CDMA provider in MX).

It sounds weird, but there are more problems trying to unlock the GSM Pre than the CDMA one =S
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    US Pre = CDMA
    SIM = GSM
    Well okay, but without having the GSM style you don't think I could use my Pre on their network?

Quote Originally Posted by aguilera_reyes View Post
    There is a lot of people in México who bought the Sprint Pre last year and already hacked the device to work in "Iusacell" (the only one CDMA provider in MX).

It sounds weird, but there are more problems trying to unlock the GSM Pre than the CDMA one =S
    So in theory I could use my US Pre on Telcel?
    Do read up on the difference between GSM and CDMA. There's no point discussing this if you don't. aguilera_reyes says you could theoretically use the CDMA model on the "only one CDMA provider in MX: Iusacell"

Quote Originally Posted by cdp39940 View Post
    So in theory I could use my US Pre on Telcel?
    So no, unless telcel has CDMA coverage I don't know about.

Read here (comments also contain interesting info):
    http://www.precentral.net/telcel-nabs-pre-mexico
    Last edited by tomi666; 02/05/2010 at 05:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Do read up on the difference between GSM and CDMA. There's no point discussing this if you don't. aguilera_reyes says you could theoretically use the CDMA model on the "only one CDMA provider in MX: Iusacell"

So no, unless telcel has CDMA coverage I don't know about.

Read here (comments also contain interesting info):
    http://www.precentral.net/telcel-nabs-pre-mexico
    I mean I understand the difference to a degree. It's really no need to discuss anything. I was simply asking if there was some way to do it, similar to how you have to "pay" for Iphone apps even though with Jailbreaking you don't have to.

So I'm simply asking is there literally no way possible since they are two different systems.

Or is this a matter of someone saying you have to have At&t to use an Iphone(even though we know that's not necessarily true.

And I guess if it's not possible. I could look into google voice and if that works outside the US, or using Skype or MSN thru the Pre's Wifi to make international phone calls or something
    "There is literally no way possible since they are two different systems."
    You need a CDMA carrier to use a CDMA phone.

Unless I'm very very mistaken in which case I'll gladly offer my apologies, but I seriously doubt it.
  15.    #55  
    Toni666,

Attached is the file I edited using SQLite Browser...still no luck, I replaced the Rogers Wireless Line so there would be no confusion on MNC 302 (country canada)...take a look and let me know what you think!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Here is the issue between CDMA and GSM in the most simple terms. They operate on different radio frequencies with different hardware. it would be like trying to listen to AM radio with an FM receiver--it won't happen.
    I gave it a shot to http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/...taneamente-_JM but the guys at MercadoLibre (the mexican ebay site) took it down.

I'm now contacting the owner of this article: MercadoLibre: TURBO SIM LECTOR DE SIM GSM NO FLEXEA NO MODIFICA TU CELULAR - $ 289.00

I asked him to test the "Turbo-SIM" inside a PalmPre if it is possible to him, using a non-Telcel simcard.

He brands it as a "turbosim", but I don't know if that is a real turbosim brand or just a chinese copy, but he says that the think work in other phones.
    any update on progress using a Rebel SIM on Rogers? I have yet to track down a 32k SIM card, but still working on it.

Incidentally, I have been trying and WIND mobile is a absolutely out. The Pre does not operate on WIND's 1700 band. I reckon Public Mobile, whenever it gets going, will be the same? Also, one could buy a Bell SIM card (which only works on their new network, not available in much of Canada) to pop in to the meta-doctored Pre. But you would have to sign-up for a data plan, and it wouldn't work outside major cities.

Any thoughts or updates?
    has anyone tried this guy: UNLOCK CODE for MEXICO TELCEL TELCELL PALM PRE - eBay (item 180474514918 end time Mar-28-10 14:02:28 PDT)

he says he can unlock telcel pre.

let me know if it works because I would definitely get a telcel pre and use it on att 3g
    These guys are in Markham... maybe I can give them a shout.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast