Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by B-E-A-S-T View Post
    As for the 32k sim not being able to access the 3G Network, I respectfully disagree...I spoke to one of the Rogers/Fido Network Engineers and he confirmed that there are people on their UTMS/HSPA networks with the legacy 8k cards...also do a web search and you will see that there are lots of people in the same situation all over the world, I think it was in HoFo forums where there was a specific thread on this.

Barry - don't give up on geting yourself a 32K SIM, it is worth a try...
    We're talking about AT&T (legacy Cingular) USA brother, not Rogers or Fido.
    If anyone in this forum is willing to Meta-Doctor a Telcel WebOS Doctor 1.3.5.1 for me so that I can activate over Wi-Fi let me know, PM me and I will send you an email address where I can accept such a huge attachment...doing this will serve to prove a path to everyone on this forum...if not I will have to get my brother-in-law to do so for me, one of the problems is that I only have a Mac and MacPorts is failing on me...

As for the 32k sim not being able to access the 3G Network, I respectfully disagree...I spoke to one of the Rogers/Fido Network Engineers and he confirmed that there are people on their UTMS/HSPA networks with the legacy 8k cards...also do a web search and you will see that there are lots of people in the same situation all over the world, I think it was in HoFo forums where there was a specific thread on this.

Barry - don't give up on geting yourself a 32K SIM, it is worth a try...

As for where I stand, when I upgraded the OS to 1.3.5.1 I get to the profile creation screen but it fails because it deems that I am roaming...if I go to make an emergency call and wipe out the 911 number and replace it with a normal number it will make a call and my phone number will properly register on the other end...the MOST promising part is the fact that my carrier name shows up on the top left of the screen! When I read the TurboSIM thread it strikes me that Rebel SIM is working and in fact my phone is unlocked...
    I don't think your "roaming" issue will go away. Fido SIMS are known to do that if you have an unlocked phone, or any phone that isn't from Fido. My Nokia thinks it's roaming all the time, I think it's the way it works after Rogers and Fido's network are joined.

Only way for it to not be in "Roaming" is to use a Rogers SIM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3.    #23  
    Blacknight - So I guess when I often travel to the states and get a solid 3G signal it doesn't count?

The Roaming issue is due to RebelSIM, happened with my wife's Rogers SIM as well...if you read the TurboSIM forum it seems most people have this issue as well untill they edit their APN settings...which I hope to do post meta-docotoring...
    Blacknight - So I guess when I often travel to the states and get a solid 3G signal it doesn't count?

The Roaming issue is due to RebelSIM, happened with my wife's Rogers SIM as well...if you read the TurboSIM forum it seems most people have this issue as well untill they edit their APN settings...which I hope to do post meta-docotoring...
    No sir, not talking about you roaming in with a Rogers/Fido sim from Canada. Rogers/Fido sim will be fine as the IHLR will load the NAC and LAC codes given Rogers has the roaming agreement set-up. Hence, you will be able to roam onto ATT 3G in the states no problem.

What we're talking about is someone who lives in the states with a legacy Cingular 32k sim that wants to access the UMTS network. Meaning - TopTongueBarry who is attempting to get 3G on his Telcel Pre.

Barry's scenario above won't work because Cingular/ATT went to UICC's (new sims to access all Cingular/ATTWS/3G networks) in '05 at the UMTS network launch - meaning new HLR with a new NAC added for UMTS Network. This was in part due to the network mergers between legacy Cingular and legacy AT&T Wireless. Much cleaner to force everyone to get a new sim on a new HLR and fresh back-end DB, which in turn allowed for eventual teardown of the legacy systems and save the company cash to boot.

In theory, they could have allowed the old sims the UMTS network NAC, but they didn't because it running two HLR's and associated backend systems. New single system and new sim also solved the "will my legacy AT&T Wireless sim work in the new Cingular phones?" subsidy lock issue.

Hope that helps!
  5.    #25  
    Wow, more complexity to the sim card issue than I ever thought...

So blacknight all of the people on the internet that "clone" their SIM card to use in other phones or have the two-in-one SIM technology that are also using RebelSIM, couldn't Barry just do this and solve his problem?
    B-E-A-S-T,
    First, Blacknight's information is 100% correct.

Second, It's not complex. Looks pretty cut and dried to me. Those of us looking for a 3G Palm Pre solution to use on AT&T are still screwed.

Third, Roger/Fido customers most likely have a solution and if so, they have you to thank. You've stuck with this this even as dirt was flying in the other thread. For those Rogers/Fido customers who want a brief summary, the solution involves using a RebelSIM card and a 32K Rogers/Fido SIM in a Telcel Palm Pre. You'll have 3G. btw, you may not need to edit your carrier APN settings once you have gotten past the activation with WebOS 1.3.5.1 You should be able to input the network settings from the phone preferences screen, if necessary once you've activated using a Telcel SIM or a WebOS Meta-Doctored image. One tip I read about in another thread is to add your voice mail number first before changing the network settings because after you save network settings in preferances, some users reported they're unable to change the voice mail access number.

So blacknight all of the people on the internet that "clone" their SIM card to use in other phones or have the two-in-one SIM technology that are also using RebelSIM, couldn't Barry just do this and solve his problem?
    Blacknight can hopefully answer this one for us with some certainty because I don't know the answer yet. If I could clone a programmed AT&T 64K or 128K SIM onto an unactivated blank Cingular 32K SIM, maybe it might work, however, I have some doubts. The problem is the Cingular 32K SIM's do not have the technology built into them that the newer SIM cards have. I'll also run this by some peers and associates.

As it stands right now, it looks like there's a solution for Rogers/Fido customers, but those of us in AT&T land are still without a 3G Palm Pre solution. There is hope on the horizon. I have reason to believe an IMEI unlock solution is very close to being delivered for this phone. Otherwise, how many days is it until July 25th? (Date edited, 6 months from Jan 25th is July 25th).

Thanks,
    Barry
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 01/22/2010 at 04:05 AM.
  7.    #27  
    What's on the 25th?

Also how are you confident on the IMEI unlock solution? Even if I do prove my device is unlocked I would rather have it unlocked that way...
    What's on the 25th?

Also how are you confident on the IMEI unlock solution? Even if I do prove my device is unlocked I would rather have it unlocked that way...
    July 25th:
    1). Verizon's 6 month exclusivity agreement for the Palm Pre Plus and the Palm Pixi Plus lasts through that date. (Edited the date, 6 months from Jan 25th is July 25th)
    2). AT&T's Ralph De La Vega has publicly announced that AT&T will offer two Palm WebOS devices during the first half of this year. Only way I see that happening is if AT&T offers the Palm Pre and Pixi, not the Plus models.

IMEI Unlock solution for the Telcel Palm Pre:
    I have first hand knowledge it is being worked on. It's certainly not deliverable yet. We still need to keep focused on finding a solution, whatever it may be.....

Thanks,
    Barry
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 01/22/2010 at 04:03 AM.
  9.    #29  
    I have a question, if I meta-doctor and activate my Palm Pre when I eventually update to 1.4 will I have to do it all over again or if I upgrade OTA it will automatically keep me activated?
    I have a question, if I meta-doctor and activate my Palm Pre when I eventually update to 1.4 will I have to do it all over again or if I upgrade OTA it will automatically keep me activated?
    Once you activate your Pre and it's associated with a Palm Profile, you won't need to worry about having to do it again, unless you WebOS doctor or WebOS Meta-Doctor it again.

(added 01/22/2010 at 9:05 AM)
    B-E-A-S-T,
    READ YOUR PM's!

Thanks,
    Barry
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 01/22/2010 at 11:07 AM.

Although I don't condone cloning sims as it's not only illegal but also a huge PITA for the carrier when both ICCID's register on the HLR, I'll try to explain...

Cloning won't solve your problem here because in effect, by cloning you are changing the ICCID on doner card to the same as the active ICCID. This creates 2 sim cards with the same ICCID (sim numbers). At this point, the doner sim is "wiped" of it's ICCID and changed to the active ICCID. The issue with this is the RebelSim doesn't have the ICCID range beyond the 64k sims to spoof the device as it's designed.

The only way to make this work on AT&T is to get the subsidy code from Telcel and Palm, or have the good folks at RebelSim update their product to accept the ICCID range of AT&T's new sim cards.
  12.    #32  
    Blacknight - If RebelSIM is good UP TO 64k SIMs I wonder why the 64k SIM Barry tried did not work...maybe it only works up to 32k?
    Hi guys, does anybody knows if the rebel has this same problem with any phone brand (regarding the support of "high capacity" simcards) or this only happens with the palm pre? Anyone had tested this in other locked phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknight View Post
    Although I don't condone cloning sims as it's not only illegal but also a huge PITA for the carrier when both ICCID's register on the HLR, I'll try to explain...

Cloning won't solve your problem here because in effect, by cloning you are changing the ICCID on doner card to the same as the active ICCID. This creates 2 sim cards with the same ICCID (sim numbers). At this point, the doner sim is "wiped" of it's ICCID and changed to the active ICCID. The issue with this is the RebelSim doesn't have the ICCID range beyond the 64k sims to spoof the device as it's designed.

The only way to make this work on AT&T is to get the subsidy code from Telcel and Palm, or have the good folks at RebelSim update their product to accept the ICCID range of AT&T's new sim cards.
    Blacknight,

1). RE: "RebelSim doesn't have the ICCID range beyond the 64k sims to spoof the device as it's designed. "

I tried an AT&T 3G 64K SIM card with the RebelSIM card and it did not work. So have a couple of other members. None of us was able to get past the Enter Network Subsidy Unlock Code screen for phone calls using a 64K AT&T SIM card. Please clarify your statement regarding the RebelSIM card and 64K SIM's.

2). RE: "Although I don't condone cloning sims as it's not only illegal but also a huge PITA for the carrier when both ICCID's register on the HLR,".

I understand your point, and I am on the same side of the fence as you are on this point. It's only our recent discovery that the RebelSIM card isn't working to spoof these devices with any SIM larger than 32K and the only reason I'm willing to try cloning a working AT&T 64K or 128K U-SIM onto an unactivated legacy Cingular 32K SIM. I happen to work for the wireless provider you worked for until 06 (yes the same carrier we're discussing here). That being said, You should know that once I'd successfully cloned the active AT&T 3G 128K or 64K U-SIM onto the donor legacy Cingular 32K SIM, I planned on immediately destroying the active AT&T U-SIM used to clone the donor so there would be no chance of both SIMS registering on the network at the same time.

3). RE: "Cloning won't solve your problem here because in effect, by cloning you are changing the ICCID on doner card to the same as the active ICCID. This creates 2 sim cards with the same ICCID (sim numbers). At this point, the doner sim is "wiped" of it's ICCID and changed to the active ICCID. The issue with this is the RebelSim doesn't have the ICCID range ... as it's designed"

Are you saying not to even try this because it absolutely will not work?

One more thing, Blacknight, I want you to know that your wealth of knowledge is greatly appreciated here, whether we resolve this problem or not.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknight View Post
    Blacknight,
    In case you were not following along the first six weeks of this journey in another thread here, we've worked directly with the "good" folks at RebelSIM in our attempt to get the Telcel Palm Pre to work with an AT&T SIM using the RebelSIM card.

I sent my Telcel Palm Pre, with its already activated and working Telcel 128K SIM card, along with an active AT&T 3G 128K SIM card (U-SIM) to the folks at Rebel SIM card in the UK. They had my phone for about a week, claimed to have grabbed all the data they needed from it during their week of testing, and returned it and my SIM's with an explanation that the RebelSIM card works just fine as an unlock solution for the Telcel Palm Pre with all the other SIM cards they tested in it using the RebelSIM card solution. They claim the problem to be with the North American "128K" SIM cards. Their response was interpreted by all who read it as telling us there's no problem with the RebelSIM card as an unlock solution, and the problem is with the SIM cards in use by AT&T. They promised to continue working on a solution. It's been over a week and a half with no further word from them.

So much for getting the "good" folks at RebelSIM to update their product.

Blacknight, One other tidbit I wanted to share with you is of my experience whilst roaming on AT&T's network with the Telcel SIM in my Telcel Palm Pre. The phone and data work almost flawlessly. I've had two dropped calls in the few weeks I've been using the Pre on and off as my "tester" and it's 3G connectivity rarely drops off to EDGE. The Pre works so well on AT&T's network, it lends credence to the NY Times article suggesting the iPhone dropped calls issue on AT&T is more likely a result of issues within the iPhone's hardware and less likely due to capacity issues on AT&T's network. Unfortunately I've had to taper off on the roaming due to Telcel's sky high roaming charges.

Thanks,
    Barry

P.S. to all - I've really been hounding the poor folks at Telcel this week, telling them I purchased this phone with no contract and paid full retail price, and I've added a few other statements to in essence lay a real heavy guilt trip upon them for refusing to unlock my Pre. Today, after 5 days of badgering, they agreed to unlock my phone for me, however they refuse to do it over the phone claiming to not have the tools available for a remote unlock using IMEI. They told me to bring my Pre to a Telcel retail location (in Mexico), and they'll unlock it there in person for me as long as the store I go to has the tools and the ability to do an Unlock in person. I suspect they were simply just getting rid of me for now, but the nearest Telcel retail store location is about 140 miles due south on I-5.

If all else fails, I guess I might need to dig up my passport!
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 01/23/2010 at 01:06 AM.
  16.    #36  
    First and foremost I must give Barry many many many thanks. I did not think it would be possible but he is one of the kindest people I've come across on this World Wide Web.

Barry spent close to 3 hours with me guiding me step by step through the process of meta-doctoring my Telcel WebOS Doctor 1.3.5.1 needless to say we were successful but with no doing of my own.

So here is the update all the Canadians have probably been waiting for:

1. I was able to Create Profile and Activate over Wi-Fi successfully (thanks again Barry)
    2. ALL Outgoing Calls are working
    3. Incoming Calls are working sporadically (sometimes calls go straight to voicemail)
    4. SMS incoming is working but with a time delay
    5. SMS outgoing giving errors
    6. Cellular Data NOT working as I am unable to add my APN information (keeps throwing me an "Unable to Write" Error)

Seems like the errors I am having are similar to what people have had in the TurboSIM thread...I am feeling extremely optimistic, let me know if I am crazy guys!
    Scenario:
    just followed a brilliant impulse (impulse buy? what could go wrong?!) and purchased a Palm Pre from Europe, planning to use the phone with my Rogers SIM in Canada and T-Mobile in the States with the Rebel SIM. T-Mobile is not really an issue, I understand it does work. My concern is with Rogers.

Question:
    will I be able to receive calls and text messages with reasonable reliability on my Rogers SIM (2005 SIM card, UICC it reads on the back) with a Palm Pre and Rebel SIM?

Note:
    I am not concerned about 3G capability, as I have wi-fi everywhere I travel.

Treonauts: shall I start gnashing my teeth or crying tears of inconsolable sadness? Speak frankly, and much thanks!
  18.    #38  
    T-Mobile Europe is documented to work

The UICC Rogers card will not work (at least it didn't for me), this is why I changed to the 32K card -- if you get a 32K Rogers card my hunch is that we will be in the same club...
    So... any news from the Rebelsim guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilera_reyes View Post
    So... any news from the Rebelsim guys?
    Ha Ha, You're kidding, right?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast