Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Two days ago I decided to have Best Buy install a screen protector on my Pre. They got liquid inside the phone and destroyed it, and had to replace it with a brand new Pre.

The hardware on this new build is far more solid than my three month old Pre, in the following ways:

1. Far less wobble/oreo - you can still force it probably half a millimeter, but you don't notice it at all unless you force it.

2. Keyboard is easier to type on - I think the keys depress a little easier than my other Pre.

3. No creaking! My other Pre sounded like a squeeky door when I typed on it - not a problem with this new one at all. The touchstone back is on there solid and doesn't move like it did on my other one.

All in all this Pre is far, far more solid - I guess they've improved the manufacturing process. Thanks to Best Buy for breaking my Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by mediaserve View Post
    Two days ago I decided to have Best Buy install a screen protector on my Pre. They got liquid inside the phone and destroyed it, and had to replace it with a brand new Pre.

The hardware on this new build is far more solid than my three month old Pre, in the following ways:

1. Far less wobble/oreo - you can still force it probably half a millimeter, but you don't notice it at all unless you force it.

2. Keyboard is easier to type on - I think the keys depress a little easier than my other Pre.

3. No creaking! My other Pre sounded like a squeeky door when I typed on it - not a problem with this new one at all. The touchstone back is on there solid and doesn't move like it did on my other one.

All in all this Pre is far, far more solid - I guess they've improved the manufacturing process. Thanks to Best Buy for breaking my Pre!

I thought the same thing until i had it for a month and everything was back to what it was b4. Just wait and see. Be to add on that, I really don't think people should be concerned with "creaking", etc. That's just silly. Look at any other slider on the market and there are those same exact issues. My last 3 phones were sliders. Same thing.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    I thought the same thing until i had it for a month and everything was back to what it was b4. Just wait and see. Be to add on that, I really don't think people should be concerned with "creaking", etc. That's just silly. Look at any other slider on the market and there are those same exact issues. My last 3 phones were sliders. Same thing.
    Well, I had actually thought about that. Hopefully not, but if it degrades I'll update this post.
    What's the build date on your new one?
    There is a difference in builds. Mine (from release) never had an Oreo effect and was always solid feeling. My wife's and other replacements have been very hit or miss.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    What's the build date on your new one?
    Looks like it was 11/12/2009 going by 6-8 of the serial (BC9).
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I noticed my latest Pre felt more solid when I got it.. hardly any oreo.. I've had it for a few months now.. still pretty solid. I had a creaking problem too. I figured maybe it was my Touchstone back cover wearing out since it had been on 4 different Pre's so I bought a new one from Sprint. The new cover is great! No creaking what so ever!
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Same here. Had 3 phones from May.. and now a November build and can defiantly tell a difference.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mediaserve View Post
    Looks like it was 11/12/2009 going by 6-8 of the serial (BC9).
    Mediaserve, what do you mean by "6-8 of the serial (BC9)"?
    I just got a refurb a few weeks ago and it doesn't creak like the Pre that I got in June. Also the keys feel better then my 1st Pre.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CESantos View Post
    Mediaserve, what do you mean by "6-8 of the serial (BC9)"?
    It's a way of telling the build date through numbers 6 through 8 of the serial number. Not as easy as ##786# but it does work. It's an old trick from the palm PDA days.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    It's a way of telling the build date through numbers 6 through 8 of the serial number. Not as easy as ##786# but it does work. It's an old trick from the palm PDA days.
    I totally forgot about ##786# - it shows the same date.
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Can you please explain the encoding/decodoing scheme for digits 6 thru 8 of the serial number? In your case it looks like hex digits but I'm not seeing them able to do 31 month days (unless they somehow trick out the year for days in the 2nd half of the month).

EDIT: Mine is 5/15/2009 with digits 6-8 being 5F9, so the question is what's the encoding for phones mfr on the 16th thru the end of the month?
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/16/2010 at 04:22 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Simple to figure out. The phone made the day after yours (5/16/09) would be 5G9, a phone made on May 9 09 would be 599. A phone made on May 10 09 would be 5A9.
    Of course, there is no reason for them to have to stop at F. (Now I feel like such a moron!)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    my asurion refurb has been the best build ive had by far, better than my palm refurb or my sprint refurb.

its so good i feel that its hopw it shouldve been out of the box in june
    Ugh! You guys are really making me think twice about getting a Pre. I keep reading all these stories about people on their third or fourth Pre... It costs 10$ extra a month for insurance on Verizon so I usually opt out of it. I haven't completely broken a phone yet but I don't know about this guys. It pretty much seems like everyone has been through a few Pre's... Are they just really fragile or are you guys really banging them around?
    Quote Originally Posted by galenb View Post
    Ugh! You guys are really making me think twice about getting a Pre. I keep reading all these stories about people on their third or fourth Pre... It costs 10$ extra a month for insurance on Verizon so I usually opt out of it. I haven't completely broken a phone yet but I don't know about this guys. It pretty much seems like everyone has been through a few Pre's... Are they just really fragile or are you guys really banging them around?
    You have to remember that some people on cell discussion sites are very picky and sometimes they complain more then they say something positive. As long as you don't take your Pre rock climbing you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker55 View Post
    You have to remember that some people on cell discussion sites are very picky and sometimes they complain more then they say something positive. As long as you don't take your Pre rock climbing you should be fine.
    I've looked after my pre like a baby, I'm only on day #5 and sending it back caus the volume up button has stopped working. I've had some sort of problem with the pre every day I've had it and spent every day on forums finding workarounds. If it wasn't for my fault I'd still be scared about breaking it every time I had to use a sledgehammer to get the battery out or get a surgeons knife to remove the USB port. VERY low build quality on the pre I have, the people that have annihilated them on day#1 are being rough but there are many legitimate problems with this phone that can't be dismissed as user negligance.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimboj View Post
    I've looked after my pre like a baby, I'm only on day #5 and sending it back caus the volume up button has stopped working. I've had some sort of problem with the pre every day I've had it and spent every day on forums finding workarounds. If it wasn't for my fault I'd still be scared about breaking it every time I had to use a sledgehammer to get the battery out or get a surgeons knife to remove the USB port. VERY low build quality on the pre I have, the people that have annihilated them on day#1 are being rough but there are many legitimate problems with this phone that can't be dismissed as user negligance.
    Hmmm, 3 launch day pre's, no problems. Slide open the keyboard, then pull the cover off. When you put the battery in, make sure the tab is exposed, makes pulling the battery alot easier.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast