Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have contacted palm support for answers but they have none.... why did they down grade the palm pre webOS system so it does not have true two-way sync capabilities? my "world" before I purchased the pre was a motorola 580, a good tough, sturdy phone. as I am a business man with many contacts and business's I deal with, my contact list was full. I used the motorola Iden program on my computer to manage all of my contacts. I could sync back and forth, from phone to computer and back to phone in about 2 minutes.
    so when I was thinking about purchasing the pre, the people at the sprint store said the pre does that too, only wirelessly... WRONG! after they loaded all of my contacts into my new pre I have tried to get the info to my computer, could not. they said I needed to use my palm profile to manage my numbers, can't do it. they said I need to open a google email account and do it there, nope. in the 3 months since purchasing, my phone lost all information during an update and had to reload all of now outdated information from my old motorola, and then 3 weeks later it crashed and locked up... had to get a new one. so I lost all my info again.
    THE MAIN PROBLEM IS... I cannot get the information that is loaded in my phone to any program so that I can manage the numbers. but IF... all of my 500 contacts and address's were MANUALLY loaded into google, then updated, then I could sync them to my phone (according to palm support), but I CANNOT take the information loaded in my phone the other way. so now my "world" after purchasing the palm pre is a world with old information and no way to manage and update it except by going thru all of them on my little phone screen and using the little buttons on my phone... I dont have this kind of time. on a business trip I may get 20-30 new contacts that i will enter into my phone and then need to manage them when I get home... ya can't do it with this phone.
    SO... ANYONE WHO USES THEIR PHONE FOR BUSINESS CONTACTS, THIS PHONE IS WORTHLESS. there are so many other phones that will allow you to manage your numbers in a computer program with that you shouldn't waste your money on the palm pre.
    if I am wrong about any of this please prove it to me. I have been searching for a way to manage my contacts for a couple of months without success! I have some good things to say about the phone also, but this contacts management thing is so big of a deal to business people that it negates any good the phone has, as there are other phones with nearly the same features and some even better. with ways to manage the contacts list.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I disagree. I am an Insurance Broker and I also work for a Law Firm and a Capital Group. I find the Pre very useful in organizing my contacts. I have even bricked my pre, and used webos to fix it, all my contacts and my 4 different e-mail inboxs worked immediate. I think the Pre is a great phone for 'young business men'. Business men that are technologically savvy. If you are more of the old school type, go to blackberry, the pre isnt for you.
    What you can do, is take your old phone and your Pre back to Sprint and have them reload your contacts into your GOOGLE profile, not your Palm profile (make sure Google is your default account, not Palm).

Once they have been loaded into your Google profile, you can manage all your contacts from your Google account (on your PC) and they will sync back to your Pre (and vice-versa).

It's the easiest way of doing it (so that you don't have to manually enter 500 separate contacts into your Phone).

I manage all my contacts from either Outlook or my Google account. Either one syncs to my Pre w/o issue.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Uhmmm if you have the contacts on your PC, there are ways to load them into google or exchange. The only problem you will have is that since your previous device was not a Palm you will have to find your own import/export process from whatever software you used to sync with. Palm (or any other company) isn't going to be able to offer you a way to sync your old non Palm software with google or another editable cloud service. Palm does offer the ability to take your old palmos/palmdesktop backup and export it to where you need it to.

I would suggest not relying on Palm to fix this, but to google (or use the search service of your choice) to find a way to get your contacts exported from your old software to a cloud service of your choice that synergy has access to (most likely google/gmail from your post).

or do what he said above, I got beat
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    What you can do, is take your old phone and your Pre back to Sprint and have them reload your contacts into your GOOGLE profile, not your Palm profile (make sure Google is your default account, not Palm).

Once they have been loaded into your Google profile, you can manage all your contacts from your Google account (on your PC) and they will sync back to your Pre (and vice-versa).

It's the easiest way of doing it (so that you don't have to manually enter 500 separate contacts into your Phone).

I manage all my contacts from either Outlook or my Google account. Either one syncs to my Pre w/o issue.
    What he said.

Don't use the Palm profile. It SUCKS.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Here are your options.

Go back to sprint and have them transfer around you contacts.

Or you can do it yourself with a little time and patience!

Download - WebOS Quick Install 2.96

Next follow This Guide on getting home brew /patches etc installed onto the phone.

Next use this patch to get all contacts sent as a vcard by email. Use WebOs Quick Install to install the file. If your having problems you can ask here or refer to the guide I linked above. Do a luna restart can can be done using WebOs Quick Install or just restart the phone.

Now go into the contacts app and click the top left which brings down the options then use the send all via email.

Now take that vcard and upload it to gmail / outlook. Edit your contacts as you see fit where ever you upload them too.

You might have to remove all the contacts from your palm profile but they should auto link with the duplicated brought down from gmail/ exchange and you should be fine. If not you'll have to manually link the duplicate accounts or delete the palm profile ones.

Doing it this way will give you all the current contacts on the phone!!!
    Last edited by helidos; 01/15/2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobalou View Post
    THE MAIN PROBLEM IS... I cannot get the information that is loaded in my phone to any program so that I can manage the numbers.
    Yo 'scoobalou' ... your post is long on bluster and short on facts. A little research ahead of time would have shown you that using the Palm Profile is not a good idea and you should be looking at Google (or something else). Do you still have the original contacts list ... can you just re-sync?

Having said that ... people have been able to export contacts out of Palm Profile. Probably the easiest is to have Sprint do it ... they should be able to dump them to somewhere else (another phone?) and then put them back in your Pre (*after* you set your default account to Google). Otherwise try searching on "export palm profile" and you should find some info (although it is a bit if a PITA).
    I would have to agree with everything everyone else has said. Google is the way to go -- not only does it do a two way sync, but it also allows you to export to a CSV file so that you can maintain your own backup (and not have to rely on your Palm profile).
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Syncing with Google allows you to have one copy to maintain, versus potentially syncing to a PC at home at work and having two copies (plus the phone) to keep straight. I don't miss syncing to desktop clients at all.
    Plus, there are now commercial sync programs for the Pre.

Which he could download from the app catalog
    Agreed... the Sprint employee may have been a bit under informed, but you can simply use a programs like The Missing Sync, or CompanionLink to manage contacts (and calendar, music, photos, etc) between your Pre and desktop. Take a look at the links and see that there are solutions... just like with your old Moto.
    The pre is perfect for businessmen and owners!
    I suffered the same quandry as the original poster, ie, not being able to sync calendar and contacts on a regular basis with my compute, as I did with PalmOS, Windows Mobile, and Blackberry Desktop manager. I think it slightly irresponsible of Palm to force users to change the way manage data with this OS. As for the two programs listed here, they have serious problems. Missing Sync will only work via a WiFi to connect to a PC, and Companion Link requires purchasing a $39 cable as well as having to run two programs (CompanionLink for webOS USB and CL USB Sync) to get ensure all the data is backed up. Also:

"The Task and Memo apps supplied in CL USB Sync only synchronize using CLW. They do not support Palm Synergy®, and at this time cannot be synchronized wirelessly to Google®, Exchange ActiveSync®, or any other method."

Very time consuming, I must say. I would be using a Pre today if it were possible to sync it the old way. It's a nice concept, but not right for me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Agreed... the Sprint employee may have been a bit under informed, but you can simply use a programs like The Missing Sync, or CompanionLink to manage contacts (and calendar, music, photos, etc) between your Pre and desktop. Take a look at the links and see that there are solutions... just like with your old Moto.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    ...Missing Sync will only work via a WiFi to connect to a PC, and Companion Link requires purchasing a $39 cable as well as having to run two programs (CompanionLink for webOS USB and CL USB Sync) to get ensure all the data is backed up...
    Did not know that about the Missing Sync Hmmmm....

I'm in sales and on the road all the time with 900+ contacts. I've always used the Palm Desktop application with my past Treo's and coming over to the Pre made me have to rethink my way of keeping my contacts up to date. I've created a Google account for my business contacts and use that to manage everything (that and our Exchange server).

I'm not happy that Palm changed their initial pitch about sync'ing, but there are work-arounds. I liked using a stand-along application like the Palm Desktop (or ACT) for entering notes and such, but the one positive thing about using a Google account is this... I can get to it from any computer instead of only from my home.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/15/2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I've been using the Missing Sync since my Palm Treo days, because I have a Mac and the Mac version of Palm Desktop was rubbish. It was the first software I brought soon as I got my Pre.

It syncs contacts and calendars wirelessly (think Proximity sync). Media is synced via USB (Photos, iTunes, ringtones and video)
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Yo 'scoobalou' ... your post is long on bluster and short on facts.
    While I can understand the bluster, you're spot on.

The problem is, too many people start off trying to do things the way they've always done it. Bad approach. If the OP will calm down a bit, and listen to the excellent advice he's been given, he'll do well with the Pre.
    I've got a request in to Companion Link to clarify the requirement of the purchase of a USB cable from them. I can't figure out what would require this purchase as it is simply sync'ing in USB mode once connected. We shall see...
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Next use this patch to get all contacts sent as a vcard by email. Use WebOs Quick Install to install the file. If your having problems you can ask here or refer to the guide I linked above. Do a luna restart can can be done using WebOs Quick Install or just restart the phone.
    Patch is giving me errors in both Preware and webosquickinstall

Edit: Forget I said that, found my answer on webos internals.
    Last edited by FliedLice; 01/15/2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Companion Link requires purchasing a $39 cable as well as having to run two programs (CompanionLink for webOS USB and CL USB Sync) to get ensure all the data is backed up.
    You can sync using CompanionLink without using USB. Just use the Google profile as described above and CompanionLink for Google will sync with Palm desktop (or Outlook, Groupwise, Lotus Notes, etc).
    Last edited by bevcraw; 01/15/2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    Patch is giving me errors in both Preware and webosquickinstall

Edit: Forget I said that, found my answer on webos internals.
    Did you manually create the patch from the code linked on webos internals or are you waiting till its updated.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast