Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I just got an email from CompanionLink and and they verified that you do NOT have to purchase an additional USB cable for sync'ing their software. The $39.95 charge is only for the software (even though the verbage is weird). Simply use the USB cable the Pre comes with for this.

I think the OP joined and posted his first post just to blow steam. We'll see if he checks back to see all of the advice the forums has offered.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    What you can do, is take your old phone and your Pre back to Sprint and have them reload your contacts into your GOOGLE profile, not your Palm profile (make sure Google is your default account, not Palm).
    Exactly, that's what I was going to say. Also if possible asking sprint folks to back them up as vcf files to thumb drive would help.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Updated the patch to work... here's the link

Send Contacts via Email
    I am the president of a local union and I have more than 2300 contacts in my Pre and it handles them wonderfully.

The one thing you have going for you is, you found this site which, by reading the posts, can help you learn more about your new device than anywhere else.

The one thing I really like about the Pre's handling of contacts is, I can type a person's name (first or last) to find them, or I can type a business name and scroll through the contacts for that business.

Use Google and your back up is done, you have it on your computer or your Pre, and with some of the new programs like Soocial (I don't currently use it), it will sync your Google and Outlook accounts automatically.
    I've never know a businessman who was much of a businessman who didn't know how to spell "businessman".
    You guys are forgetting about Chapura's PocketMirror for WEBOS.

It is also in the APP Catalog. It is exactly what he is looking for. Here is their description.

The Outlook synchronization software bundled with over 25 million Palm OS handhelds is now available for Palm® Pre™! Chapura® PocketMirror® is the Microsoft® Outlook® synchronization solution for Palm Pre. Complete two-way synchronization transfers essential information between Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks. And like Pre, no cables are needed. PocketMirror synchronizes over the local Wi-Fi network. Personal information is never stored or passed through the internet; this is a direct synchronization between the PC and Pre over the local Wi-Fi network. With PocketMirror, you can take your Outlook information anywhere you go to be organized and on schedule.

Best of all it is two way. This is only for Windows, not a MAC though. I have had no problems with it and all my contacts are backed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyfool View Post
    The one thing I really like about the Pre's handling of contacts is, I can type a person's name (first or last) to find them, or I can type a business name and scroll through the contacts for that business.
    One thing along this line that a lot of people don't know is that you can type the first letter of the first name, then the last name, and that works as well. For instance, I have lots of "Parsons" in my contact list typing gpa (for Gini Parsons) will take me to her contact page. No need to type ginipa .
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    One thing along this line that a lot of people don't know is that you can type the first letter of the first name, then the last name, and that works as well. For instance, I have lots of "Parsons" in my contact list typing gpa (for Gini Parsons) will take me to her contact page. No need to type ginipa .
    Nice never knew that thanks for the tip!!
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Did you manually create the patch from the code linked on webos internals or are you waiting till its updated.
    I'm just going to wait until its updated. I don't need it right now, but I plan on doctoring in the next couple weeks before the next patch as I have issues from 1.3.5 and the last time I did a doctor, my Palm profile didn't store any of my contact information. This patch will be a dream to have.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Palm really ought to enable a web interface for managing Synergy (including direct import and export). For that matter, they still have the leftover palm.net domain... They ought to consider packaging together an Exchange ActiveSync-based "enhanced" subscription service à la MobileMe, but use it to really trumpet Synergy's capabilities. It won't be for everybody, and it shouldn't be a requirement to get to the basic Synergy, backup, and remote wipe features, but it could present a nice ongoing revenue and profit stream.
    I'm still amazed at how well the Pre synchs with my works exchange account. Creating new, replying, or forwarding, just start typing the name of the person and it will find who you're looking for. We have over 1500 people in our Active Directory account, the pre searches them all.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I'm just going to wait until its updated. I don't need it right now, but I plan on doctoring in the next couple weeks before the next patch as I have issues from 1.3.5 and the last time I did a doctor, my Palm profile didn't store any of my contact information. This patch will be a dream to have.
    If you didn't see my post I updated the patch to work for 1.3.5.1 was helping another guy with his contacts. Worked for him after I updated it there is a link in one of my earlier posts linking to it.
    I use Echo by Chapura... Works great!

Syncs wireless with Palm desktop.

Have used for contacts and calender for months
    and now Tasks and Notes also!

Would do without it now!
    have no clue what this guy used for his contact list but pre's work awesome with outlook.
    Echo by Chapura is an app for sale in the app catalog.

Syncs great with the original Palm desktop that I have used
    with all my Palm phones.

Echo is the Palm Desktop synchronization solution for Palm Pre

Check it out.
    my work uses ldap directory and the pre doesn't support that.
    Hi all! i'm a new member & user...just got my Pre about 2 weeks ago, but haven't started playing configuring anything yet. I'm a newbie & not a techy...and realize I have a LOT to learn. I just hope I can keep up with all of you!

So I've been wondering/searching how to get my Lotus Notes Calendar (yes - my company uses Lotus! argh!) onto my Pre? I read through the posts, but they seem a bit all over the place. Can someone tell me what my best options are for this? Ideally, I don't want to have to pay $40 or so for any software...of course, unless, it really is AMAZING. But was hoping for something free

Sorry if this is such a basic question. hope to learn a ton from all you experts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    my work uses ldap directory and the pre doesn't support that.
    Do you have more details? I'd be surprised if they exclusively use LDAP. In most business environments these days, and LDAP protocol typically will sit on top for another service, for instance on Windows domans or Novell's eDirectory, you can authenticate using LDAP. That said, they could be running a Linux system that is 100% LDAP.

What email system they are using?
    Quote Originally Posted by gholly View Post
    Hi all! i'm a new member & user...just got my Pre about 2 weeks ago, but haven't started playing configuring anything yet. I'm a newbie & not a techy...and realize I have a LOT to learn. I just hope I can keep up with all of you!

So I've been wondering/searching how to get my Lotus Notes Calendar (yes - my company uses Lotus! argh!) onto my Pre? I read through the posts, but they seem a bit all over the place. Can someone tell me what my best options are for this? Ideally, I don't want to have to pay $40 or so for any software...of course, unless, it really is AMAZING. But was hoping for something free

Sorry if this is such a basic question. hope to learn a ton from all you experts!
    I don't think you're going to find a free solution. I'd recommend you look at CompanionLink - Synchronize Lotus Notes with your phone or Microsoft Outlook
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobalou View Post
    I have contacted palm support for answers but they have none.... why did they down grade the palm pre webOS system so it does not have true two-way sync capabilities? my "world" before I purchased the pre was a motorola 580, a good tough, sturdy phone. as I am a business man with many contacts and business's I deal with, my contact list was full. I used the motorola Iden program on my computer to manage all of my contacts. I could sync back and forth, from phone to computer and back to phone in about 2 minutes.
    so when I was thinking about purchasing the pre, the people at the sprint store said the pre does that too, only wirelessly... WRONG! after they loaded all of my contacts into my new pre I have tried to get the info to my computer, could not. they said I needed to use my palm profile to manage my numbers, can't do it. they said I need to open a google email account and do it there, nope. in the 3 months since purchasing, my phone lost all information during an update and had to reload all of now outdated information from my old motorola, and then 3 weeks later it crashed and locked up... had to get a new one. so I lost all my info again.
    THE MAIN PROBLEM IS... I cannot get the information that is loaded in my phone to any program so that I can manage the numbers. but IF... all of my 500 contacts and address's were MANUALLY loaded into google, then updated, then I could sync them to my phone (according to palm support), but I CANNOT take the information loaded in my phone the other way. so now my "world" after purchasing the palm pre is a world with old information and no way to manage and update it except by going thru all of them on my little phone screen and using the little buttons on my phone... I dont have this kind of time. on a business trip I may get 20-30 new contacts that i will enter into my phone and then need to manage them when I get home... ya can't do it with this phone.
    SO... ANYONE WHO USES THEIR PHONE FOR BUSINESS CONTACTS, THIS PHONE IS WORTHLESS. there are so many other phones that will allow you to manage your numbers in a computer program with that you shouldn't waste your money on the palm pre.
    if I am wrong about any of this please prove it to me. I have been searching for a way to manage my contacts for a couple of months without success! I have some good things to say about the phone also, but this contacts management thing is so big of a deal to business people that it negates any good the phone has, as there are other phones with nearly the same features and some even better. with ways to manage the contacts list.
    You need to obtain more info about what your talking about. The Pre is good for business, there's nothing wrong with the way Palm handles syncing, I used to use WM & Web OS is a lot easier. Get a Google account it's the easy way to do things with the Pre. I don't sync with Palm at all, everything goes to Google. And if I need a backup for anything I email myself what I need to backup.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast