Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Based on the data available in this post, I've done some analysis on how the sprint plans compare to the verizon plans for the pre & pixi.

Conclusions:
    1. For an individual, Sprint plans win on a features/cost basis. It doesn't matter what the users requirements are, they can either get them cheaper from Sprint or get more features for free from Sprint, than they can from Verizon.
    2. For shared plans, there are times when Verizon is less expensive and times when Sprint is less expensive. On an apples to apples comparison, Sprint is always cheaper. But if users have fewer requirements for their service provider, they can construct plans on Verizon that meet those requirements, and cost less.

I've attached a PDF that shows the data used to draw these conclusions. I'm confident I understand how the Sprint plans work. I've had to make some assumptions about how the Verizon plans work. Here are the assumptions I made about Verizon plans:
    1. Verizon requires a data plan for any line that has a pre or pixi on it
    2. Verizon charges $29.99 for unlimited data for each line that has it
    3. Verizon charges $20 for unlimited texting for individual plans
    4. Verizon charges $30 for unlimited texting for shared plans (applies to all lines)
    5. I did not include GPS in the analysis because I could not find information on navigation prices on verizonwireless.com

I'd appreciate any feedback you can offer showing where I've made errors.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 01/15/2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    pdf file is not opening for me.
  3.    #3  
    Interesting. Maybe email it to yourself? It's opening for me using Adobe Acrobat on Winders.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Who on earth would buy a smartphone like these without texting? To my mind, Verizon plans without texting aren't even valid options. Maybe there are people out there though...
    opens fine for me, man you put allot of work into this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Who on earth would buy a smartphone like these without texting? To my mind, Verizon plans without texting aren't even valid options. Maybe there are people out there though...
    Well, personally, I would have. When I was buying my Pre, I had 2 lines on my account.

Me: lots of data, little voice, no texting.
    Wife: lots of voice, no data, no texting.

Even with unlimited texting, I use maybe 30/mo. My wife uses maybe 2-3 per month. It's not that hard for us to ignore it.

And prior to my son getting a pixi, Sprint was relatively expensive for me. I had myself on Everything Data 450 (individual) and my wife on Talk 450 (individual). What I would have liked to have had was:

Shared plan 700 mins: $50
    Data for my line only: $40
    Subtotal Total: $80
    After Corp Discount 25%: $60

Instead I had to pay:
    Everything Data 450: $70
    Talk 450: $40
    Total: $110
    After Corp Discount 25%: $83

Now that I've added my son, the costs are:
    Everything Data Family 1500: $130
    Additional Line: $20
    Total: $150
    After Corp Discount 25%: $113

(All of the above prices are before taxes and fees that require voodoo math to determine.)

The point of the post is that your requirements will drive price. Sprint assumes that everyone has the same requirements. Verizon & AT&T don't. As a result, on each you can construct plans that meet your requirements while costing less. Yes, you get less, but why pay for something that you don't require?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    opens fine for me, man you put allot of work into this.
    Not really. Took about an hour w/excel. And most of that was formatting for clarity. Analysis took about 15 mins. But thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Well, personally, I would have. When I was buying my Pre, I had 2 lines on my account.

Me: lots of data, little voice, no texting.
    Wife: lots of voice, no data, no texting.

Even with unlimited texting, I use maybe 30/mo. My wife uses maybe 2-3 per month. It's not that hard for us to ignore it.

And prior to my son getting a pixi, Sprint was relatively expensive for me. I had myself on Everything Data 450 (individual) and my wife on Talk 450 (individual). What I would have liked to have had was:

Shared plan 700 mins: $50
    Data for my line only: $40
    Subtotal Total: $90
    After Corp Discount 25%: $67.50

Instead I had to pay:
    Everything Data 450: $70
    Talk 450: $40
    Total: $110
    After Corp Discount 25%: $83

Now that I've added my son, the costs are:
    Everything Data Family 1500: $130
    Additional Line: $20
    Total: $150
    After Corp Discount 25%: $113

(All of the above prices are before taxes and fees that require voodoo math to determine.)

The point of the post is that your requirements will drive price. Sprint assumes that everyone has the same requirements. Verizon & AT&T don't. As a result, on each you can construct plans that meet your requirements while costing less. Yes, you get less, but why pay for something that you don't require?
    Fixed it for you as your total didn't add up
    Not really. Took about an hour w/excel. And most of that was formatting for clarity. Analysis took about 15 mins. But thanks.
    An hour is a long time to me haha
    10 bucks for Nav.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Also get unlimited calls to any mobile on Sprint and I dont think the cheapest (450 Mins) get the My Circle or w/e they call it.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Fixed it for you as your total didn't add up
    Oops. Thanks.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupin Saiko View Post
    Also get unlimited calls to any mobile on Sprint and I dont think the cheapest (450 Mins) get the My Circle or w/e they call it.
    That's really hard to incorporate into the analysis. It depends too much on squishy variables like: call frequency to other wireless carriers and average monthly shared minutes consumed.

Those are certainly factors, but I don't know how to analyze them other than for myself. And I can only analyze them for myself because I store all of my usage details in a PostgreSQL database, thanks to sprint's allowing me to download all call details in an excel file. Yeah, I'm nerdy like that.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    10 bucks for Nav.
    Is that $10/mo per line or per plan?
    Do you need the Nav package for the GPS to work in apps?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I came from verizon to sprint many years ago and my bill has ALWAYS been cheaper for the same level of service. Once verizon tol dme unlimited texting was NOT free anymore and that it would be only to the "in-network" which meant only other verizon users I new it was time to change!
    Thanks for all the work on this - I am getting ready to buy a shared UNL talk data 1 line and one additional line (no data) and this is exactly the information I need - the p|c forums are awesome!
    Based on the data available in this post, I've done some analysis on how the sprint plans compare to the verizon plans for the pre & pixi.

Conclusions:
    1. For an individual, Sprint plans win on a features/cost basis. It doesn't matter what the users requirements are, they can either get them cheaper from Sprint or get more features for free from Sprint, than they can from Verizon.
    2. For shared plans, there are times when Verizon is less expensive and times when Sprint is less expensive. On an apples to apples comparison, Sprint is always cheaper. But if users have fewer requirements for their service provider, they can construct plans on Verizon that meet those requirements, and cost less.

I've attached a PDF that shows the data used to draw these conclusions. I'm confident I understand how the Sprint plans work. I've had to make some assumptions about how the Verizon plans work. Here are the assumptions I made about Verizon plans:
    1. Verizon requires a data plan for any line that has a pre or pixi on it
    2. Verizon charges $29.99 for unlimited data for each line that has it
    3. Verizon charges $20 for unlimited texting for individual plans
    4. Verizon charges $30 for unlimited texting for shared plans (applies to all lines)
    5. I did not include GPS in the analysis because I could not find information on navigation prices on verizonwireless.com

I'd appreciate any feedback you can offer showing where I've made errors.
    lol... NM I see the post you are referencing is talking about the new plan changes going into effect on the 18th.
    Great analysis, this could be good for Sprint customers. If AT&T drops prices then Sprint may be forced to respond I would assume. I would like to see a 10-20% drop in Sprint everything plan.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Thanks for all the work on this
    You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Isn't Verizon changing their plan structures in the very near future (reducing the various plan options)?
    I'm basing this on the pricing data posted to precentral here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast