Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yeah, I edited after I took a gander at the post you were referencing!
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Is that $10/mo per line or per plan?
    It used to be per GPS enabled phone. Pretty sure it still is.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    It used to be per GPS enabled phone. Pretty sure it still is.
    Ok. The data gets really unwieldy when you try to put all options into a single spreadsheet by adding GPS. For example, the comparisons above for the unlimited plans took up 12 lines. Adding GPS explodes this to 60 lines because it adds lots of different permutations.

So instead, I created a quick and dirty spreadsheet that calculates the costs of each plan given the different types of requirements that you have. I *think* it's correct, but I could have made a mistake.

To use the spreadsheet:
    1. Enter "yes" for each line you need to activate
    2. Estimate the number of anytime minutes that line will use
    3. Decide whether or not you need unlimited text, data & gps on that line

NOTE: All of these prices are pre-tax, and pre-discount (if you can get them)

This is an excel spreadsheet, with no macros. So it should be pretty safe to open.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 01/15/2010 at 04:36 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Is that $10/mo per line or per plan?
    Sorry, per line.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

This is from InsideSprintNow...some base prices include 2 lines, like on everything data(probably the most popular plan). Good for comparing the sprint side of the plan.
    the ONLY thing ATT and verizon changed on their new plans is added a voice only unlimited for 69.99 and family version, they have in NO way changed or made better their individual or family talk text data plans by any means...SPRINT STILL is way cheaper than any of them,,,,$99 SE is still WAY better cause on ATT you STILL gotta pay $120 plus pay for nav on top of that lol
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I was shopping before I picked up my Pre, and was waiting for the Driod to come out. At the time it was 119.99/per month for Verizon service, and 69.99 a month for a slightly better Sprint plan. That is a huge difference, and even if I liked the Driod better than the Pre, which I don't, it would have to be something special to justify the extra $50 a month!

Now it is 112.99 for the Verizon plan, wow, a whole 7 dollars cheaper.

Most basic Sprint Plan for the Pre > $69.99/month or $1679/2 years

Most basic Verison Plan for the Droid > $112.99/month or 2711/2 years

Is Verizons Network(which you can access on Sprint) really $1000 better than Sprints?!
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    the ONLY thing ATT and verizon changed on their new plans is added a voice only unlimited for 69.99 and family version, they have in NO way changed or made better their individual or family talk text data plans by any means...SPRINT STILL is way cheaper than any of them,,,,$99 SE is still WAY better cause on ATT you STILL gotta pay $120 plus pay for nav on top of that lol
    yes, I was trying to change my friend's ATT plan since they have "new plan" coming out today, needless to say, quite disappointing. other than adding a $69 unlimited voice, they didn't change anything.
    Ok. The data gets really unwieldy when you try to put all options into a single spreadsheet by adding GPS. For example, the comparisons above for the unlimited plans took up 12 lines. Adding GPS explodes this to 60 lines because it adds lots of different permutations.

So instead, I created a quick and dirty spreadsheet that calculates the costs of each plan given the different types of requirements that you have. I *think* it's correct, but I could have made a mistake.

To use the spreadsheet:
    1. Enter "yes" for each line you need to activate
    2. Estimate the number of anytime minutes that line will use
    3. Decide whether or not you need unlimited text, data & gps on that line

NOTE: All of these prices are pre-tax, and pre-discount (if you can get them)

This is an excel spreadsheet, with no macros. So it should be pretty safe to open.
    Tks for all of the work.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    all i know is about a week ago I thought about getting rid of my pre/sprint and getting a droid/verizon. I only use a cell phone...no land line, I use a lot of data and a lot of sms so I need unlimited voice, data, sms.

with sprint I got the everything plan for $99....looked the same thing up on verizon and it was $149
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    With the added fee that Sprint put on I was thinking of getting out of my contract and switching to VZ. With VZ I can get a plan that only has data on 2 lines instead of all 4 - should be cheaper, right?

ABOUT $100 more per month for 4 lines on VZ. Unlimited data and only 500 texts for two Pre's and no data with 5000 texts for 2 dumbphones. Oh yeah, 1400 shared minutes. All have insurance.

I did all this to match Sprint services except lowering the texts from unlimited to limited per line and no data on two lines.

Unbelieveable, less service and $100 more per month. Why, oh why, would anyone stay with Verizon knowing that Sprint phones roam on Verizon with no problems.

Crazy
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Will Sprint get the Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus?
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    With the added fee that Sprint put on I was thinking of getting out of my contract and switching to VZ. With VZ I can get a plan that only has data on 2 lines instead of all 4 - should be cheaper, right?

ABOUT $100 more per month for 4 lines on VZ. Unlimited data and only 500 texts for two Pre's and no data with 5000 texts for 2 dumbphones. Oh yeah, 1400 shared minutes. All have insurance.

I did all this to match Sprint services except lowering the texts from unlimited to limited per line and no data on two lines.

Unbelieveable, less service and $100 more per month. Why, oh why, would anyone stay with Verizon knowing that Sprint phones roam on Verizon with no problems.

Crazy
    i'm getting on a family plan with my girlfriend and her parents.....we're getting data on two lines and including tax everything will cost about $200. Sprint is definitely cheaper but she (shes on verizon) gets service alot of places i dont.

when you guys say that sprint roams on verizon isn't that only voice becase i've never been able to get online while i was roaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmniphoto View Post
    i'm getting on a family plan with my girlfriend and her parents.....we're getting data on two lines and including tax everything will cost about $200. Sprint is definitely cheaper but she (shes on verizon) gets service alot of places i dont.

when you guys say that sprint roams on verizon isn't that only voice becase i've never been able to get online while i was roaming.
    I believe it is voice and text. But lets say it is just voice. Your phone should be in WiFi mode all the time anyways. The only time I turn off wifi is if I can't get a good signal. Then I try 3g. There are so many places and people that do not have their wifi locked, combined with free "V" roaming, it seems like I almost always have good internet, text and phone.

Also keep in mind that both of your mobile phones can call ANY mobile on ANY network and it does not come off your mins. So you go for the 1500 min plan (lowest they have right now). There may also be some kind of discount that one of you will qualify for. Just need to ask and work it a bit. In the end it could get you at around 99.00 +/- for both phones. And then you also will in a few mos become a Premier Member and be able to upgrade every 12 mos.

For the 2 times a month you may have to change a setting on your phone to do something like network, it is well worth it.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 01/25/2010 at 09:48 AM.
    except that everybody else on the family plan is locked into verizon.
    I switched from VZ to Sprint when the Pre launched and I chose the plan that most closely resembled my current VZ plan at the time. I had 450 voice minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text, no insurance and no navigator with VZ and was paying $110/mo with taxes and fees. I got the $69.99 plan with Sprint which gave me the same features plus navigation and now unlimited mobile to mobile.. even tacked on insurance and I'm paying $84/mo. Not too shabby.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by hmniphoto View Post
    There is a setting in the phone preferences that enables data while roaming. By default it's set to disabled. Turn it on and you should be able to get data while roaming.

To get there:
    1. Start the Phone app
    2. Go to Preferences
    3. Scroll down to "Network" section
    4. Tap "Data Roaming" and set to "Enabled"
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Thanks for your analysis, mu7efcer. In your research, did you notice whether Verizon has changed its plan regarding messaging packs. When I left Verizon for the Pre, my plan was about $75 before tax. I had $39.99 for 450 minutes, the $29.99 data plan and a $5.00 messaging pack for about 250 texts (since I don't do much texting). No charge for GPS since I had a Centro.

Can you still do this? Thanks.
    I'm likely to be adding a Pre Plus to my existing Family Share plan on VZW, which currently supports 3 feature (non-smart) phones. The additional approx. monthly costs, before taxes:

1) $45 for the Pre Plus' corporate data plan (doesn't potentially block EAS e-mail sync; the $30 personal data plan might); and
    2) $10 for an additional line on the Family Share plan

There may be additional costs for adding shared minutes (I'm the major user) and text messaging for the Pre Plus (ditto), and insurance (if any), but those would be true of a feature phone as well.

Even if I figure $5 for the 250/month text plan, and $20/month more for the additional 700 minutes (1400, which also adds in Friends and Family), the total pre-tax addition is $80, roughly comparable to an individual plan on Sprint anyway, but with VZW's better coverage in my area (including in places like the Midtown Tunnel in Manhattan). Yes, I know I lose free nav (at least until someone comes out with a standalone program, which I expect will be very soon), but the marginal difference is fairly modest, which was a relief. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12