Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jrtesq View Post
    hparsons,

I set up ssh using the old scripts you provided above...
    No problem, glad it worked for you. I'm beginning to be a little concerned about the user above that's having problems. Out of curiosity, are you on a Pixi or a Pre? I wonder if there's something with the Pixi that keeps the scripts from working...

I think I may try on my wife's Pixi, just for grins.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No problem, glad it worked for you. I'm beginning to be a little concerned about the user above that's having problems. Out of curiosity, are you on a Pixi or a Pre? I wonder if there's something with the Pixi that keeps the scripts from working...

I think I may try on my wife's Pixi, just for grins.
    I've got a Pixi, and I can't seem to connect using Putty or WinSCP. If you could do a test with your wife's Pixi and let me know how it goes, that would be great. Thanks.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    FYI, I've also tried using OpenSSH and the SFTP Server from the Optware section in Preware with generated public/private ssh keys and Putty and I still get the network connection error.

It just seems that I can't access my Pixi via Putty and the Internet for some reason...
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Out of curiosity, are you on a Pixi or a Pre? I wonder if there's something with the Pixi that keeps the scripts from working...
    I'm using a Pre. Can you give any insight as to the security implications of not using the private key in WinSCP?

thanks again.
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    Yes, I tried using putty with the default settings,SSH, port 222, and the IP address assigned to my Pixi. Still "Network error: connection timed out" error.

I'm not sure if I missed anything.
    OK, sorry about this, I just tried this with my wife's Pixi, but could not connect. It will probably be a while, but I'll check and see what I can find out on what's different on the Pixi's setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrtesq View Post
    I'm using a Pre. Can you give any insight as to the security implications of not using the private key in WinSCP?

thanks again.
    Sorry, I'm nowhere near an SSH security expert, but my understanding is that generally speaking, when you accept the public key, you are saying "I trust that this computer is the computer it claims to be".
    OK, sorry about this, I just tried this with my wife's Pixi, but could not connect. It will probably be a while, but I'll check and see what I can find out on what's different on the Pixi's setup.
    OK, I got with Rod Whitby on the WebOS-Internals IRC channel, and he pointed me to the error.

On the Pixi, the WAN interface is named differently. On the Pre, it's ppp0, on the Pixi, it's rmnet0.

Rod recommended using the current PreWare method of setting this all up, but unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with that. However, if you've already run the script I mentioned above, you can fix it by doing the following

Note These instructions are only for the Pixi.

Using novaterm, find and edit the optware-dropbear configuration startup file. Don't forget, before you edit the file, you'll need to put the Pixi in Dev mode, and issue the following command:

mount -o remount,rw /

Then cd to /etc/event.d

Edit the file optware-dropbear and look for the following two lines (they are together):

Code:
         /usr/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -i ppp0 -p tcp --dport 222 -j ACCEPT || /bin/true 
         /usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -i ppp0 -p tcp --dport 222 -j ACCEPT
    On both lines, change ppp0 to rmnet0. Save, issue the command

mount -o remount,ro /

Reset your Pixi, find your IP address, and you should be set.

I've confirmed this works on my wife's Pixi.
    Last edited by hparsons; 01/18/2010 at 06:52 PM.
    hparsons,

Fantastic! I can now use WinSCP to ftp into my Pixi via the EVDO connection. Thank you so much for figuring this out. No more USB cable for transferring files!

Note, that I tried using putty but I got a connection error. I'll need to check my settings again.

Thanks again for your help.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Followup: I was able to create a Dynamic DNS for my Pixi following the previous mentioned link, and I can ftp and telnet into my Palm Pixi via a EVDO connection and no USB cable.

The trick, was using "rmnet0" instead of "ppp0" in both the ftp setup instructions and for the Dynamic DNS instructions. Thanks again to hparsons who was able to figure this one out.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Followup: I was able to create a Dynamic DNS for my Pixi following the previous mentioned link, and I can ftp and telnet into my Palm Pixi via a EVDO connection and no USB cable.

The trick, was using "rmnet0" instead of "ppp0" in both the ftp setup instructions and for the Dynamic DNS instructions. Thanks again to hparsons who was able to figure this one out.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post

Gotta tell the truth, I didn't figure it out. Rod Whitby (WebOS-Internals.org) explained the issue to me.

He also said that the newer version in PreWare will set up properly on the Pre and Pixi. I'm plagued by a dual edged sword. When thing are bad (like when I need to redoctor my Pre), I'm in a hurry with no time to learn the newer method. When they're good and I don't need to hurry, I'm too lazy.

After talking to Rod, I've found that the newer PreWare version not only is more secure, but addresses (in part) one of the questions asked here.

Rather the use a priviledged user with a password, the system exclusively uses a private/public key pair. Meaning you have to manually (via USB) transfer a key from the Pre (or Pixi) to your computer, and us a key generated on the device, instead of a username and password.

That information is touched on briefly here: Application:OpenSSH - WebOS Internals

Frankly, I don't have the time right now to delve into this deeply, but will have a few days off for knee surgery next month, and will likely take a closer look at that time. Will possibly be time for me to redoctor my Pre again, since 1.4 may be out.
    Last edited by hparsons; 01/19/2010 at 01:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    After talking to Rod, I've found that the newer PreWare version not only is more secure, but addresses (in part) one of the questions asked here.

Rather the use a priviledged user with a password, the system exclusively uses a private/public key pair. Meaning you have to manually (via USB) transfer a key from the Pre (or Pixi) to your computer, and us a key generated on the device, instead of a username and password.

That information is touched on briefly here: Application:OpenSSH - WebOS Internals
    This is what I couldn't get to work properly, and what made me use the older scripts you posted above. I tried the Preware method for about 4 hours one day -- never worked. The old scripts had me up and running in less than 30 minutes.

Guess I'll set aside another afternoon and try the Preware version again.
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan3816 View Post
    What I'd like to do is to use Internet Explorer (or Windows Explorer) to FTP into my phone over EVDO.
    Looks like you need this: [HOWTO] sync your palm pre files without external software using WebDAV
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerusty View Post
    Thanks, I'm definately looking into this now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan3816 View Post
    I have searched through the forums and through webos-internals and I cannot seem to find the exact information I am looking for.

What I'd like to do is to use Internet Explorer (or Windows Explorer) to FTP into my phone over EVDO. I don't really care if it's secure transfer or not, but I just want to be able to drag and drop files to and from my Pre using a Windows explorer page, just like if I were to log in to an FTP server in Internet Explorer. Of course, the access itself would be limited to a port number, username, and password. I know when you use Windows to access FTP it will pop up and prompt you for a username and password.

The main idea here is that if I was not at home and didn't have a data transfer cable for USB access, that I could at least access /media/internal and possibly even root over EVDO. EVDO access is necessary because you can't always be guaranteed to have a Wifi connection.

Is there a fairly simple way to do this? I'm familiar with linux and don't mind messing with the scripts, etc, but I just haven't seen a clear presentation on how to accomplish this.
    Not a brilliant way to go about it. Use ssh. You can then use putty or winscp and install dropbear on the phone. You can then open up the firewall rule for the EVDO interface, if you must. That's all in the installation instructions.

Bonus, you can use a passwordless key to make things seamless while only allowing people with the proper key (you) to connect.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I find it interesting that someone spells out THEIR requirements in no uncertain terms and people continually try to tell that person about how that persons requirements are not brilliant. Personally, I think the level of brilliance is irrelevant if it meets that persons needs. Either help with said needs or don't...
    Quote Originally Posted by daaknes View Post
    I find it interesting that someone spells out THEIR requirements in no uncertain terms and people continually try to tell that person about how that persons requirements are not brilliant. Personally, I think the level of brilliance is irrelevant if it meets that persons needs. Either help with said needs or don't...
    Unfortunately, the user is not going to find many folks that have done specifically what he asked, because it's very much a "nonstandard" way of doing things.

He's wanting to take a phone, and turn it into a server. Not totally unreasonable, because a lot of computer geeks do that stuff, and the Pre can do that.

He then wants it done in a way that is very insecure, essentially opening his phone up to attacks by everyone on the internet, and counting on the "security by obscurity".

Just like if I asked what type of water based paints to use on a car forum, he's probably not going to get many responses.

At the same time, the "here's something that's close" responses did help others. One of the nice things about a forum.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by daaknes View Post
    I agree. Regardless, it would be nice if there was a WebOS program/hack available from the launch screen that would (even unsecurely) allow FTP over Windows with no additional mess. Maybe it is something that will come along in the future. Ideally, it would take care of setting up the linux side of things at install, and then it would open up the sharing capability only while the program is running, launched from the WebOS launcher. If it would be insecure, it would only be for a few minutes, long enough to transfer the files you want to transfer.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12