Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know that as far as tethering goes there is freetether and mytether. I have searched the forums and it seems that its not working for people and neither of those programs are working for me either. For example in mytether, it sees the internet connection, however it cant get past the identify stage in connecting to the phone. I am using windows 7. Anyone out there have a method that woks in windows 7 x64?

Thanks in advance
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by compnetbobby View Post
    I know that as far as tethering goes there is freetether and mytether. I have searched the forums and it seems that its not working for people and neither of those programs are working for me either. For example in mytether, it sees the internet connection, however it cant get past the identify stage in connecting to the phone. I am using windows 7. Anyone out there have a method that woks in windows 7 x64?

Thanks in advance
    I have MyTether working with a Windows 7, 64 bit laptop (Home Premium). When you say "cant get past the identify stage in connecting to the phone", I assume you mean that MyThether IS working on the phone, and that the computer IS recognizing that the phone is connected to it, but that it just never obtains the IP address from the phone? Just checking - do you have "DHCP" and "USBNet" enabled on the Pre under the Options menu for MyTether? You should also be sure to turn OFF wi-fi on the Pre before connecting it to computer.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    I have MyTether working with a Windows 7, 64 bit laptop (Home Premium). When you say "cant get past the identify stage in connecting to the phone", I assume you mean that MyThether IS working on the phone, and that the computer IS recognizing that the phone is connected to it, but that it just never obtains the IP address from the phone? Just checking - do you have "DHCP" and "USBNet" enabled on the Pre under the Options menu for MyTether? You should also be sure to turn OFF wi-fi on the Pre before connecting it to computer.
    Usbnet and DHCP are enabled, mytether turns the wireless off on its own. I used the "Microsoft corporation" devise for the driver on my phone. So it seems everything should work. I have rebooted both the phone and laptop on many occasions to make sure it wasnt that type of issue. I have even tried to release and renew the ip and it does show that the phone is giving it an IP. The network and sharing center just says that there is some problem with my modem (which it thinks my phone is) and doesnt give me internet access. This is after the computer tries to "identify" the internet connection for a few minutes.

Any ideas?
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Usbnet and DHCP are enabled, mytether turns the wireless off on its own. I used the "Microsoft corporation" devise for the driver on my phone. So it seems everything should work. I have rebooted both the phone and laptop on many occasions to make sure it wasnt that type of issue. I have even tried to release and renew the ip and it does show that the phone is giving it an IP. The network and sharing center just says that there is some problem with my modem (which it thinks my phone is) and doesnt give me internet access. This is after the computer tries to "identify" the internet connection for a few minutes.

Any ideas?
    MyTether does NOT turn off wi-fi on my phone, and I actually once had a problem when leaving wi-fi on. The developer advised me to turn off wi-fi before activating MyTether, and that did the trick for me. Try turning off wi-fi before enabling MyTether, and see if that does the trick? It may not solve your problem, but it just might? Let's rule that out, and then we can try further from there?
    MyTether is starting to show it's "age"(in my opinion). After the most recent 1.3.5.1 update, I had to reinstall MyTether to get it working, and then it asked to install a "patch" which it said would disable the camera. It did that, but when I ran EPR to remove all patches, the camera still did not work. It's a bit of a pain that the developer does not make uninstalls that completely clean up the product.

I still like MyTether. I use it mostly to connect to my home wifi on a laptop that does not have wifi. It's been working well for that after "the patch" but it's a bit of a pain to get it working the first time after an install sometimes.

EDIT: I've since learned that the "patch" aonic applies is not a "standard" one (meaning it is not removable with EPR). In my opinion, aonic does not do a very good job of communicating with his customers about what should be expected.
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/16/2010 at 09:54 AM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  6.    #6  
    MyTether does NOT turn off wi-fi on my phone, and I actually once had a problem when leaving wi-fi on. The developer advised me to turn off wi-fi before activating MyTether, and that did the trick for me. Try turning off wi-fi before enabling MyTether, and see if that does the trick? It may not solve your problem, but it just might? Let's rule that out, and then we can try further from there?

Thanks for your help. Ill go through how I do it. I turn off wifi, make sure that usbnet is enabled (this only shows in the usb options, not wireless), reboot, turn on dhcp, set a wireless network name and set the wireless key (I use more 5 digits for the wep key but for some reason it shortens it to only 5), I go to my laptop connect to the phone, put in the wep key, it connects to the phone but shows an exclamation point on the wireless connection and it says identifying for while and wont connect to the internet.

Thanks again for your help guys
    If you can manage for another 10 days or so, there should be better answers available.
  8.    #8  
    You are suggesting wait for the 1.4 update because whatever I am going to do to fix it is going get screwed up by the update anyways?
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    If you can manage for another 10 days or so, there should be better answers available.
    That's spectacularly vague, but also insanely exciting.
  10.    #10  
    lol
  11. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Thanks for your help. Ill go through how I do it. I turn off wifi, make sure that usbnet is enabled (this only shows in the usb options, not wireless), reboot, turn on dhcp, set a wireless network name and set the wireless key (I use more 5 digits for the wep key but for some reason it shortens it to only 5), I go to my laptop connect to the phone, put in the wep key, it connects to the phone but shows an exclamation point on the wireless connection and it says identifying for while and wont connect to the internet.

Thanks again for your help guys
    Thanks for the thanks

I see from your reply (and I forgot to previously ask!) that it looks like you're trying to tether via wi-fi, right? I've actually been tethering via USB....Can you confirm if USB would work for you? Also, if I'm not mistaken, I don't think USBNet has anything to do with wi-fi tethering, so I'm not sure you should be taking that step unless I'm mistaken? Next, if you are connecting via wi-fi, are you getting the prompt to install the required patch? Third, if the Pre is limiting you to 5 characters, then that's all you should be using, but it sounds like you might using more than 5 characters on the computer - perhaps you're not connecting because you're using a password other than the 5 digit one the Pre is expecting? Finally, if I'm not mistaken, I think you must NOT turn off wi-fi on the Pre if you're trying to tether via wi-fi - that might be another problem? I'm not sure if I'm on the right path here or not with my assumptions, but let me know if I'm correct, and maybe I'm on to helping you get back on track? Good luck - I'm more than happy to keep trying to help if you're willing to keep trying
  12. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    You are suggesting wait for the 1.4 update because whatever I am going to do to fix it is going get screwed up by the update anyways?
    I'm thinking perhaps our WebOSInternals friends are perhaps working on a patch based on the update which hit Europe and allows for tethering!!
    I'm having the same issues too.. I'm gonna go try these ideas out when I get home and I'll post back..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just thought i'd pop in here and say i found a site that allows you to install Mytether 2.0.4 for FREE (windows and mac) but since i don't have 10 post yet i'll type it like this w w w . w e g e e k e d u p . c o m enter that without the spaces of course. It's another forum but if you join the forum (also free) then go to search threads and type in Palm Pre Wireless Tether you will get the page you need. at the bottom of the Post there are 2 zip files 1 for windows and 1 for mac download which ever you need. Make sure your phone is in Dev mode and is plugged into your computer via USB (charge only) before opening the zip file. Now you do have to install the patch that shuts down the camera. But it's clear as day in Mytether App under options you can uninstall the patch after your done tethering (and it works i've tried it). i did have the problem at first the Wifi tethering wanted to say limited connectivity after 3 min of use. But after i turned it off and the wifi on my computer off and turned them back on it was fine. I've been tether for about a hour now with my phone in the other room. Everything works fine now. And USB tethering works as well.
    I'm thinking perhaps our WebOSInternals friends are perhaps working on a patch based on the update which hit Europe and allows for tethering!!
    I'm think he's talking about the Verizon tethering app. I think everyone here is just waiting to pick it apart and bring it over to our Pres (without the $30/month part lol)
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm think he's talking about the Verizon tethering app. I think everyone here is just waiting to pick it apart and bring it over to our Pres (without the $30/month part lol)
    +1
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I can definitely connect to my pre via bluetooth from laptop and have internet access---for a minute. Then I get a message on my Pre saying along the lines that sprint does not support internet sharing. Others have mentioned this too--that sprint doesn't allow it. But I did want to share with you that the bluetooth connection assuredly is possible. I'm using 1.3.5.1 and a cheapie sabrent bt/USB adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    Randy, I do hope you're not just talking Verizion. For some of us, that's not "better".

But I'm believin'
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I'm quite sure they speak in forked-tongue about t n i r p S. A little birdie (a penguin, perhaps?) suggested they are working on BetterTether. Okay, I made up the name but we'll see...
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ok so i tried to do the wifi tethering also and am running windows 7 heres the problem windows 7 WILL NOT recognize it for windows 7 you have to use the usb tether for right now.and the usb,inf only has to do with the usb tethering not wifi.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast