Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. If anything I would appreciate a thinner phone, but want the general size to be about the same. If it meant for a SLIGHTLY larger form factor to get another 1/2" out of the screen then count me in. Its just one more thing that the iphone sheeple won't have to brag about. OLED 3.5"+ screen = BIG WIN!

.... and go bolts!! ;-)
    Increasing the screen size to 3.5" would only widen the phone around .25"

This would still much smaller than an iphone horizontally and the extra space would make more room for the keyboard and battery.
    the pre is built for portrait its narrow like the instinct maybe giving it more of a iphone shaped screen
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    what like a PixPre
    Think that would be a Prixi.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    i think prixi sounds like a bad pronunciation pixpre is clearly a combo of both
    but we dont want the fragmentation caused by all different res screens look what its doing to android
    Isn't that the nice thing about webOS. It does not matter what screen size you have. The OS does an automatic resize for the screen you use.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    but we dont want the fragmentation caused by all different res screens look what its doing to android
    If I remember correctly, webOS supposedly scales very wel. So from Palm's point of view releasing phones with different screen resolutions shouldn't be difficult.

If you are talking about app development, you may have a valid point. I wonder how much extra work it is for developers to build in code to address different resolutions.

Increasing the resolution on the current screen would generally make text smaller and harder to read?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCIArr View Post
    Increasing the screen size to 3.5" would only widen the phone around .25"

This would still much smaller than an iphone horizontally and the extra space would make more room for the keyboard and battery.
    Though I wouldn't be thrilled about having to order a new car cradle if the Pre 2 was a larger form factor, I'd gladly do it for a 3.5" screen!
    as long as we can use our t-stones its all good
  9.    #49  
    People say "slab" like it's a negative thing. But as a longtime PDA/Smartphone/Wallet user then I never understood the complaint. The iPhone/Droid aren't really that much bigger than the Pre and IMO the extra 1/2in does make a difference with most apps. So a Pre XL would make this OS even better looking (and would allow for a usable virtual KB option).

As for landscape keyboards. I always thought they would make life easier, but I found that I type twice as fast on portrait KBs due to the keys being closer and quicker. So I actually prefer the Pre design over the Droid.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I wouldnt mind a slightly larger screen but I have come to love the 'pocketability' of my pre
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    PreXL spec list (within reason):
    -Treo 800w-size smile keyboard on the slider
    -microSDHC slot + 8GB internal
    -3.5" 320x480 screen
    -1350mAh battery standard (like Seidio extended OEM size battery)

PreXL dream spec list:
    -Treo 700x-size keyboard on the slider
    -3.7"+ OLED screen with at least 800x480 resolutioin
    -16/32GB internally + SDXC slot
    -CDMA + GSM global functionality

Since CES '09 I've been saying repeatedly that WebOS & its card UI metaphor would scale SO well to a larger, higher-resolution tablet type device. If Palm's not going to do that, at least give us something like the HD2 or the Moto Droid. Also, I'd personally like to see the gesture appear banished in WebOS 2.0 and let that space be devoted to a larger screen and/or keyboard. All of the necessary gestures can be done onscreen. No need to waste space with an area dedicated to silly gestures--that reminds me of the old silkscreened Graffiti area on the original Pilots. This is 2010, not 1996.

Also, Palm needs to banish the Pixi's neutered 320x400 resolution ASAP. 320x480 should have been the baseline resolution from the beginning, no exceptions. There was no need to fragment the user & developer community like that. I'd rather have a smaller high-density screen than give up those 80 precious pixels and break some titles and make life harder for the still-fledgling WebOS developer base.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123