Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off in these few first lines of the post let me take the time to apologize to anyone reading for the length of this post however I thought it was needed if we were to get anything from the thread, so here we go.

From the very beginning when I started pushing my original Razor with email and web to my time with Windows Mobile with a Blackjack, to the iPhone, Storm1, Blackberry curve, original in line Pfe adopter, to the Tour and even Android with a Hero and now back to the Pre that I am a smartphone user and addict.

From the very first hints of the Pre and Web OS at CES 2009 I fell in love with the Pre. Simply the idea of the Pre hardware and OS caught my eye and I knew this would be my next smartphone. So I like many people on this board stood in line overnight to grab my first Pre and from the moment the Sprint rep activated mine I fell in love instantly, similar to my first iPhone experience. However all couldn't be so sweet. When I got home from the Sprint store a little over an hour away, the first thing I did was update WebOS to it's newest form and sure enough on the boot screen I see 5-6 dead pixels. A phone call back to Spritn storre and they are holding a replacement for me, back I drive to pick up my new Pre with no hassles from the rep, probably because I was a new customer joining just for the Pre.

I take off with my new Pre and no dead pixels to head to a good friends bacheoler party and on my way I go. A few hours later, maybe because of the drinks or because of the heavy usage my Pre was getting I realize under use my Pre screen develops 3 splotches of yellow.. Another call to Sprint store the next day and now they are out of Pre's! They have to order another.. No biggies Spring was doing all they could.

So about a weel later I get a call that my new Pre is in and I make the hour drive again to pick it up. The rep at the store was shocked at how my Pre looked and replaced it no questions asked. lLong story short a week later with my new Pre and this one has the, to this day, most insane oreo wobble I have seen. So I call Sprint again and even tell the rep maybe it's the Palm side case I'm using, maybe it's my fault, the rep said no way your phone should not be doing that, I:ll order you another replacement. When I picked this one up I told myself no Palm case lets see if this helps. The rep opened 3 phone for me, 2 with horrible screen separation and the 3rd I took home.

if only it ended here. The 4th Pre of mine not only developed the oreo it was extremely buggy and crashy unlike any of my previous Pre's. The Blackberry Tour is coming out in 2 and a half weeks and I never has issues with my traditional Blackberrrys so I return my Pre, touchstone, car charger, and Palm cases and start a journey of waiting of 2 weeks phone free for the Tour to come out.

Eventually I got my Tour and it was shiny at first and always worked wonderrs for any messaging as most Blackberry screens do. It still wasn't fullfilling my needs the way I thought it should with the smaller screen, lack of apps and straight boring UI. So I began looking at new phones, it was between the Hero or Touch Pro2, well like I have said I have been down the TP2 path before but while looking at these phones I touchex a Pre and I felt the way I did when I first got my Pre, but I didn't let this fool me, I went with the Hero. The hero despite force closing and rebooting randomly, lagginess and inability to sync to 2 of my 3 email accounts was a fun phone but the lagginess got to me and in 6 days I had enough dust under the screen to build a moutain.

So I decided I wanted to take a restocking fee and go with something else.. The Pre in my head I tried so hard to talk myself out of it having known the problems I had before but I knew from the moment I touched it in the Sprint store that I wanted a Pre again. So I return my hero grab a Pre and with full convidence in getting a perfect Pre walked straight from Sprint to the Invisible Shield booth and had they hook me up. An hour later and I'm home updating my Pre only to find 2 dead pixels on the boot screen. Now here I sit 3 days after paying full retail for my Pre and trying to tell myself those two stuck pixels only show on a blaxk screen and they won't be so bad! The phone seems perfect other than that! But I have to ask myself why after over 6 months after production is Palm still having these isses? Why when they develop a product with hardwat I love and software that makes me forget I ever had an iPhone, do small imperfections at a high percentage continue to happen and make them lose business?

I'm not even sure why I made this thread, maybe hoping some of you will encourage me not to return my phone and suck it up and live with it so I can feel better about it. To be honest i'm just torn and having typed this entire post on my Pre I can honestly say my feelings toward Palm are love and hate right now.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Wow.. sounds like me and Bank Of America! haha I my self have been through A LOT of smart phones... But i havent traded my pre for another brand.. Dont think I will because I love the UI and this community makes the pre that much better! Just stick with it.. Itll be good.. My pre has dead pixels and also does some brighness thing at the bottom.. but my phone works great so to me thats all that matters. Palm will get it right. They have no choice if they want to survive.
    i too had dead pixels on both my pre's, i returned one, then i figured out it was common amongst other users, i forgot all about it until now.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
  4.    #4  
    Thos are the type of posts I was hoping for, sad as it might be, posts that would make me forget my phone actually is defective and just use it despite it's flaws for the awesome piece of hardware/software it really is.
    In all seriousness, I too have two dead pixels and they too only show up with very specific colors. And after a couple of days of fretting because my Pre wasn't "perfect" I realized that the dead pixels had absolutely no bearing on my enjoyment and productive use of the device.

After 7 months, this is the only gadget I've owned (among many, many gadgets) where I feel absolutely no impulse to try something new. Part of that is because WebOS and the Pre are just such a great, highly productive combination for me, and part of it is because Palm keeps updating the platform so quickly.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I've had 6 Pres but couldn't take it anymore. I have the Hero now and it does get laggy but there are apps for that to speed it up. I'm very happy now but honestly really miss WebOS.

The form factor and the terrible mobile versions of my favorite websites made me willing to use the Hero while I wait for the next Palm device, which I WILL be getting, but hopefully it will be a full touchscreen this time....
    I am on my 4th Pre since launch, my wife is on her 3rd but we are finally happy with our phones. It took time to get the right phone but we did not give up. The trick for me was insisting the last time I replaced my phone that I did not want a refurbed phone, the rep said that they don't usually do that but he gave me a new one and that was it.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    It sounds like the OP is using a non-refurb, so I suspect just as he does, that the issue is both refurbishness and bad production. I would recommend keeping it. As far as the UI, I find WebOS far more engaging than several other OS I've used and wouldn't be welling to give up that experience for a couple of pixels. And who knows, when June rolls around there might be more palm goodness with better construction so might as well start the clock towards the next upgrade.
  9.    #9  
    Oh i'm absolutely keeping a Pre.. My time away from the phone did nothing but prove to me the only other phone even close to the intuitive UI of the Pre is the iPhone and well it jst doesn't fit my needs. I was simply debating on whether to play the return game but am pretty sure I can live with these 2 stuck pixels. I can at least try anyway.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    WOW. I'm on my first Pre. I did wait to get mine for a couple of months after release. Just felt cautious and wanted to see what people had to say after they already had it. If I had read your stories I'd still be using my Treo 755p!! Having said that I love the Pre and have never had any of these issues. The only thing I'm jealous of is Hero's app store. I played with my girlfriends Hero and there is a zillion things to download including this UPC scanner which would have been handy when i was Christmas shopping. However, the UI is still way more comfortable on my Pre and I'm not really tempted to trade over for a few apps that should eventually show up anyway.
    With all that Pre has to offer on the positive side of the page... a couple of dead pixels seems like much ado about nothing.

12.    #12  
    Not to mention check this out.. I haven't had a Pre since early July and when I signed in with my OLD Palm profile all my contacts and emails were still there.. Seven months later. Way cool.
    the longer i read this forum, the more i get the feeling i'm really lucky. my pre has little to no oreo effect, no dead pixels, good battery life, runs perfect on 600mhz, no synching problems, and works just perfect for me, the only times i needed to doctor was when i did something very stupid, or when i wanted the 1.3.5 webOS on my german gsm pre before we got the update.

but i would just suck it up, and use the phone anyway if i had dead pixels or a little more oreo, it's such an amazing piece of both hard and software
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I too have a dead or stuck pixel or two and
    I have *never* noticed them during actual use
    even spending hours in dark background games
    like Presteroids or Quake. I have Oreo effect but
    again never notice it during actual use.
    If you obsess about finding faults you will always
    find more and more.

ian
    i have one stuck pixel and i only see it on a black screen.

Stuck and dead pixels are common in phone tech. Read iPhone boards....they have stuck pixels as well and ways to try to "fix" it.
  16.    #16  
    I am going to try and live with and it's not as though I went looking for them. They are simply very noticeable on the boot screen and dark wallpapers. I've tried to iphone fix and it didn't work, I understand stuck pixels are a common problem the pre is the only lcd electronic item I have ever owned with them. I will however learn to deal with it as long as this phone continues to operate perfectly as it is now.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I never heard of a dead pixel until I got the Pre. If you keep returning phones cause of a pixel or two, it will never end. Most flat screens have a few dead pixels on them. If you look hard you can probably find on any electronic screen. I've come to realize you can't really notice unless your looking for it.
    and usually on when the screen is on something black..like when booting up.
    honestly, I didn't read your crazy long post, but I'm also one of the many that went through 3 Pres before settling with a not so perfect one. I wish I could say I didn't have to settle, but the original batch that came out had REALLY bad build quality. Got the Pre the first day, it had the "oreo effect", so I returned it got another... still had some wobble, but I was going to keep it until I got the headphone jack problem (before people knew there was a fix for it), returned that one and got ANOTHER pre with wobble in the slider. I was bummed, but after awhile I stopped noticing it. I'd be much happier if the phone was as solid as I expect, but hopefully the Pre 2 will fix all those issues. I also technically have 2-3 dead pixels, but I can only see them when the phone is rebooting, so I assume they only show up on a completely black screen.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I just have to say, after spending 7 months with the Pre, I switched to the Nexus One, and I am literally over the moon. While the Pre's OS is a little "prettier', everything else about the Nexus trounces the Pre. It's literally butter smooth, and in many ways, faster than the 3GS.

It has all the features that you could possibly want, done in a smooth, intuitive, and totally customizable way. Most of the apps I've encountered have been extremely robust and full featured. The screen is literally 50% bigger than the Palm's, the quality is jaw dropping, and the phone is extremely light. I thought I would miss a physical keyboard, but the mixture of the wonderful onscreen keyboard (that does landscape in every single app), and the flawless voice->text feature that is included for almost every text field makes it better than the Pre's solution. The camera takes beautiful pictures, and great quality video. Battery life has been better than the Pre's, and it's great to have all the tasks I try to accomplish on the web work on the first try (my Pre would sit there doing nothing most of the time when I tried to goto web pages or load certain network related apps). I can also surf the web while I'm on a phone call! The best part? The little ball where the mouse is flashes whenever I get a call or a notification, and I don't have to hack a thing!

I recommend anyone with a Pre to try out a Nexus One, or even a Droid. Unless you're a totally blind ******, you'll fall in love with it right off the bat. I even have friends who are hardcore iPhone fan's who ooh and aah over it. It gives you all the features the Pre has, and more, with faster/better hardware, and even more robust homebrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    I just have to say, after spending 7 months with the Pre, I switched to the Nexus One, and I am literally over the moon. While the Pre's OS is a little "prettier', everything else about the Nexus trounces the Pre. It's literally butter smooth, and in many ways, faster than the 3GS.

It has all the features that you could possibly want, done in a smooth, intuitive, and totally customizable way. Most of the apps I've encountered have been extremely robust and full featured. The screen is literally 50% bigger than the Palm's, the quality is jaw dropping, and the phone is extremely light. I thought I would miss a physical keyboard, but the mixture of the wonderful onscreen keyboard (that does landscape in every single app), and the flawless voice->text feature that is included for almost every text field makes it better than the Pre's solution. The camera takes beautiful pictures, and great quality video. Battery life has been better than the Pre's, and it's great to have all the tasks I try to accomplish on the web work on the first try (my Pre would sit there doing nothing most of the time when I tried to goto web pages or load certain network related apps). I can also surf the web while I'm on a phone call! The best part? The little ball where the mouse is flashes whenever I get a call or a notification, and I don't have to hack a thing!

I recommend anyone with a Pre to try out a Nexus One, or even a Droid. Unless you're a totally blind ******, you'll fall in love with it right off the bat. I even have friends who are hardcore iPhone fan's who ooh and aah over it. It gives you all the features the Pre has, and more, with faster/better hardware, and even more robust homebrew.
    So if I don't like Android...i am a blind ******?

I'm glad you like the Nexus one...but Android is more half baked than WebOS in my personal opinon.

It has some things that are better...but WebOS has better things as well. For instance, i don't know what was wrong with your Pre but web browsing on Android is no where near the experience it is on the iPhone and WebOS. Also, while i love the UI of HTC sense...the "google experience" UI needs to be updated.

Stat.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast