Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, that's out of the way. This thread is more to express my frustration, though if anyone has advice I'm all ears.

And yes, I also am searching the forums.

Sorry, I'm just mad at this phone I love so much. Here are the chain of events, I don't know if they're in any way related to my phone's crashing, but I suspect they are.

Two days ago I wondered why some of my apps were no longer viewable on the device after 1.3.5.1. I was still able to view them in the USB drive, and I remembered that I had moved them with MVAPP. So I used MVAPP to move them back with a bulk move command. No problems.

That night I put the Pre on my Touchstone, but when I woke up it had not charged, and wouldn't charge when I plugged it directly into the outlet. It DID charge, however, when plugged into my computer's USB port.

Then yesterday I made the plunge and finally got Mytether. Other than about an hour of tinkering I got it to work just fine.

So today I turned on Sprint Navigation, and it started up fine. Then I put on Music Player Remix, put it to shuffle, (it wouldn't let me resume from my last time for some reason) the first song scrambled some words, and then the "Palm Screen of Death"tm appeared. That's where I've been for about 2 and a half hours. I pulled the battery out three times, nothing. I kept that battery out, nothing, just Palm screen. The battery must have drained quickly, because I finally for the "need to charge" icon. I plugged it in to my USB port, and the computer said it had found a new device, the "OMAP3420," when normally it would say "Linux device." I did a reset with "orange, sym, r" and things looked promising as the screen went from "Palm" to a Super Mario Mushroom. At the same time the computer recognized it as a Linux device again. (I have SMB as my theme, so this indicated that at least the phone was reading its own internal memory, if nothing else.) Unfortunately the phone then kept repeatedly resetting itself, and now back to only the Palm screen, and the "OMAP3430" designation on the computer. So that's where I'm at. I'm wondering if I should webos doctor it, or take it to the Sprint Store, which I really don't want to do with a bricked phone full of a bunch of Mods, tweaks, and a tethering program if I can help it. Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Try to doctor it and then if that doesn't fix it, bring it back to sprint.
    PalmPilot Pro --> Palm III --> Palm V --> Palm 505 --> Treo 700p --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    NO Pre can be "bricked" as an iPhone can.

Just Doctor it and you'll be fine.

Take out the battery, Start the webOSDr. When it tells you to connect your Pre, hold the volume UP button and plug the USB Cable in. Then reinsert your battery and follow the steps on the webOSDr.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    yes they can if the processor dies or if it shorts out or anything else hardware related
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    yes they can if the processor dies or if it shorts out or anything else hardware related
    That's just broken not "bricked" as is possible to
    do in software with some other devices.

OP should be able to Dr it back to life.
    BTW the long initial boot could have been it moving
    all the apps from var to cryptofs after mvapp
    put them back on var from media/internal

ian
    Yeah doctor it. Connect it to a power source while holding the volume up key which will enable you to hook it up to the doctor program and it should be good to go.
    Doctor it alright. Remember, you can NEVER brick a Pre. No matter what you can always Doctor it and put it back to factory settings. Yes, some people have had problems Doctoring their Pre's but this is because all they know is that their supposed to do is connect it and go. Most of the time this works. However, some times you have to put it into recovery mode. The download and find instructions on what you should do just go over to the WebOS-Internals page here.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  8.    #8  
    Thanks everyone. I had hoped that I wouldn't have to Doctor it, as I didn't want to lose my settings, though I hear that this isn't so much an issue anymore. It's in the process of Doctoring now. Will let you know how things work out.
  9.    #9  
    Farfighnugen! Ran webosdoc, said it completed, but am still just having an endless loop with the Palm logo. Maybe this will just take awhile for restart, I hope.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    If webdoctoring doesnt seem to help.. just for testing sake.. create a new profile and see if it boots up stable. I noticed in one of the palm updates.. where I almost lost all my contacts.. the back up on "the cloud" was corrupting things on my phone. Somehow it became corrupted. The new profile ran perfectly.

If that's the case.. not sure what you can do.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    If webdoctoring doesnt seem to help.. just for testing sake.. create a new profile and see if it boots up stable. I noticed in one of the palm updates.. where I almost lost all my contacts.. the back up on "the cloud" was corrupting things on my phone. Somehow it became corrupted. The new profile ran perfectly.

If that's the case.. not sure what you can do.
    I'm going to try that since nothing else is working. I doctored the thing twice, and webosdoctor said it was done successfully, but the phone has no change.
    To get things clearly, you can now boot up the phone perfectly into the 'First Use' app. It gets activated (with a EV or 1X data icon in task bar) and are able to get connect with the network.

If this is all true then it is 100% your Palm Profile. Make another one and it should work perfectly. As far as getting your profile info, you might be able to get some of the stuff back by calling Palm. They are friendly and will try to help you if they can. If they say they can't help you try to be elevated to the next tear and get word from them.
    - John Wayne
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    To get things clearly, you can now boot up the phone perfectly into the 'First Use' app. It gets activated (with a EV or 1X data icon in task bar) and are able to get connect with the network.

If this is all true then it is 100% your Palm Profile. Make another one and it should work perfectly. As far as getting your profile info, you might be able to get some of the stuff back by calling Palm. They are friendly and will try to help you if they can. If they say they can't help you try to be elevated to the next tear and get word from them.
    sadly no, I get nothing. The ONLY thing I see is the word "palm" on the screen, which is solid. Every ten seconds or so the screen flashes and the word disappears for a second or two before reappearing. If the Pre is connected to my computer while this is going on then my "USB device detected" window comes on my computer, then disappears and reappears in time with the palm logo on the phone, leading me to believe that the phone is continually trying to boot, only to reboot a few seconds later. I was on chat with Palm a minute ago and unfortunately they chat tech said the problem was over his head, and I will need to call them tomorrow. The only thing he had me do differently was attempt to get it to developer mode, which I was not able to do.
    When you Doctored it did you put it into Recovery Mode?
    - Connect it to the computer and power it off completely.
    - Hold down the Up button on the volume rocker.
    - While holding the Up button, power on the Pre
    - Now a white usb cable should be on the screen or something (been awhile sense I had to put it into recovery mode)
    - Now use the Doctor

You need to Doctor EXACTALY as it says at WebOS-Internals.
    - John Wayne
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    When you Doctored it did you put it into Recovery Mode?
    - Connect it to the computer and power it off completely.
    - Hold down the Up button on the volume rocker.
    - While holding the Up button, power on the Pre
    - Now a white usb cable should be on the screen or something (been awhile sense I had to put it into recovery mode)
    - Now use the Doctor

You need to Doctor EXACTALY as it says at WebOS-Internals.
    yeah, held the volume up button until "next" appeared. I saw a new thread was posted http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...008-rules.html
    that says to doctor with an older version of webosdoctor to erase the corrupted USB files, then update the op with the newest webosdoctor. I'm in the middle of trying that now.
    Last edited by Conect11; 01/15/2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added link
  16.    #16  
    yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God is great!!!!!!

For the record CAJ2008 rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So you have a nice working Pre now!!!?
    - John Wayne
  18.    #18  
    yes, mostly, yes. I used the older version of webosdoctor and it reset the phone to the year 1978, er to webos 1.1. Now I am on webosdoctor 1.3.5 to bring the ops current.
    Cool! Post back when you are 100% up and running!!
    - John Wayne
  20.    #20  
    all clear, we're back to 100%! (minus homebrews, patches, themes, natch)

Now I am wondering if I should put mytether back on as I had a sneaking suspicion that it may have had something to do with this incident.

AND... a BIG thank you to all who helped out, gave me advice, etc!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast