Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    What is override compatibilty in repair utility? Are there any other cool option in repair utility?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    It did not work for me either. Morrison and pulp, I really do appreciate your help and the patience you show in responding to each and every one of these threads. I agree with crowning, there are clearly others out there like him and myself that these answers are not working. Morrison, I followed your steps EXACTLY, and did it at least five times, all with no effect. I've tried other suggestions as well with the same results. The bottom line is that WebOSQI Device Management shows no patches under Patches, and shows nothing under Applications. Yet every time I reset my phone, a few of these patches are still working on the phone, such as displaying both date and time, or battery icon and percent. No matter what I do they don't go away, even though QI says they are not there. I've been working on this every night since I downloaded Asphalt5 the first day it was available and it wouldn't launch. I've done the partial reset, to no avail. I've tried subbing the .rar file in MyTether. I've removed MyTether. I've removed and re-installed practically everything else on my phone. I even tried resorting to Doctoring my Pre last night, and the Dr came back to say my Pre could not be doctored and I should contact Palm Support.

Meanwhile the phone and all apps except 3D games are working fine. And the patches that supposedly are not on my phone are there and beautiful. I just can't get rid of them!

Max Swell pointed out that the new WebOS Repair Utility is updated and out there, so that is what I will try tonight. But I am not getting my hopes up. After a hundred or so resets, hoping that when the phone came back on the patches would be gone and they weren't, you start to expect failure. For now it is fine - the only thing I am missing is the ability to play the 3D games. But I don't know what I will do when the next update comes and I can't remove my patches - I'm screwed!
    hey Casey. Thanks for your comments. They really are appreciated. Trust me, I've had my share of questions since launch day, as I'm sure pretty much everybody has, and with the help of others I was able to work out solutions for myself, so I have no problem helping others out with what I've learned.
    Wh that being said, I'm sorry that it didn't work for you. From what I can tell, you don't see any patches installed, either in QI or in Preware, yet not only are thet there, but they even still work as well. Could you tell me which patches these are? I am curious as to why this isn't working for you, as well as why you think it might be causing issues with launching 3D games. *I know I've had problems with memory leaks that have caused crashes, or even prevented me from opening up the games completely. *But the exact same thing happened when my phone was patched up (and believe me, it was and is patched!), as well as when I cleaned my pre and tried it then. *Also, if utility does work for you.
    Also, I would refer you back th what I said about using QI for installing package manager, preware, and tweaking the dialer and boot logos, and then installing app, themes and patches through preware. Doing things this way helps keep everything organized. I've never had a problem with my patches, except for when I intentially installed an update with removing my patches so I could what exactly would happen. *
    The good new is that no matter how badly you f up your phone, there's always a way to fix it, and usually someone will there to help you out. *Learning from your mistakes and listening to others' experiences is the best way to become more knowledgeable about your phone.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    What is override compatibilty in repair utility? Are there any other cool option in repair utility?
    the regular repair utility (w/o checking override comp) will not interefere with patches and themes.. if you check override it will repair all your patches/themes
    Pre user since summer '09...on my fourth phone.
    Thanks Morrison. You are correct in your understanding of my patch situation. I don't really know if the patches are the cause of my failure to launch on 3D games. When I first installed the games and they did not launch, my research suggested that the patch for MyTether was the problem, the same as it had been for the camera. So I tried turning the patch on and off, and then subbing the .rar file in MyTether folder in USB and that didn't make a difference. So then I uninstalled MyTether, still no success. After I removed MT, and still had the game launch problem, I thought the patches might be the problem. So I started removing them, but they wouldn't go away. That is when I thought that problem and the game launch problem might be related in some way. Who knows.

As far as which patches I have that don't show up but are still working, they are:
    - battery icon and percentage
    - mm/dd and time display
    - larger, aqua font in top bar
    - 5 x 4 launch page
    - landscape email
    - landscape messaging
    - timestamp (clean) in messaging

I think that is all currently still working on the phone. I did have a couple more that I was able to successfully remove:
    - confirm delete on email
    - pdf landscape
    - 4 x 4 launch page

I did mess around with virtual keyboard for awhile and I know that that has had issues, but it seems gone with no residual effect. As a 10 year Treo guy, why go virtual when you can have the real thing (I'm talking keyboards here!). I also tested the Precorder for awile.

I'm going to try the Repair Utility tool now. I'll let you know how it goes. I love this phone - I just have to get it straightened out before the next update. And I would love to play the new games (as if this wasn't already sapping my time enough). Thanks again!
    Well, I ran the updated Repair Utility, but no change in the patches. I may run the Doctor again tonight, since I may have been running the wrong version last night.
    I finally found the nerve to run the Dr on my Pre. Yay, it finally removed all my patches and I can run my 3D games. Even better than that, all of my contacts, memos, pictures, music and calendar were restored from the Palm profile. (Of course, I'm still missing the 300 contacts I lost a couple of months ago when Palm lost my profile). Now I just have to find the guts to put my patches and My Tether back on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    Now I just have to find the guts to put my patches and My Tether back on!
    Just do it
    I'm sure next time you will think of removing the patches before you update the device
    I'm glad it worked out in the end!

A quick wrapup:
    • If the patches are no longer working but still show up as installed in preware - use WebOSQI to remove them completely.
    • If the patches don't show up in preware/WebOSQI but are still active - use the WebOS repair utility
    • If nothing else helps - run the WebOS doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    Please guys and girls - use the search

I your case you can open Tools->Device management in WebOSQuickInstall, select the "bad" patches and press the uninstall-button.
    You will get an error message for every single one of the patches but they will still get removed.
    Pulp, if this works, I am going to be one happy manhood . I just tried to uninstall in WEBOSQI, and got the errors followed by my Pre restarting on its own. After 5 minutes passes and the dang thang reboots, I will update what happens. I am hoping this works because this has caused such aggravation for the longest time!!

Well, it didn't work dag nabbit! I'll keep searching for other solutions. BTW, the two patches left over that will not remove for the life of me are the No alerts during call, and call history while on call.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Pulp, if this works, I am going to be one happy manhood . I just tried to uninstall in WEBOSQI, and got the errors followed by my Pre restarting on its own. After 5 minutes passes and the dang thang reboots, I will update what happens. I am hoping this works because this has caused such aggravation for the longest time!!

Well, it didn't work dag nabbit! I'll keep searching for other solutions. BTW, the two patches left over that will not remove for the life of me are the No alerts during call, and call history while on call.
    Wait a cotton pickin second!1 When I opened Preware, they were gone!!! All is well, but WEBOSQI doesn't seem to work, but they are gone from Preware. I'm gonna reboot the Pre and see what happens.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Thanks, solved my problem.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12