Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    There are a few points you are over looking.
    ]1. I was with Sprint up until about 3 years ago. The people in the Sprint store are poorly informed and nasty. YOU WOULD BE TOO, IF YOU THOGHT YOU MIGHT LOSE YOUR JOB, SINCE SPRINT HAS ENDLESS LAYOFFS TO GO WITH IT'S NEVER ENDING MIGRATION OF CUSTOMERS TO OTHER CARRIERS. V's service people have always be polite and more than helpful.
    True, Sprint reps do suck....but they are getting better and more knowledgeable.

2. In my county, Sprint has no repair shop. They did not have one while I had my Treo 300, 600 and for 5 months when I had my 650. They then spun off land line business and named it Embarq, (g-d awful name), and the only repair shop in my county, went with the Embarq deal. So once again, there is no repair depot in my county.
    That sux. I have two Sprint stores within 10mile radius. I guess I'm lucky.

It is Ironic, considering that until Bush's finacial meltdown, we were thea fastest growing county in the State, and still ignored by Sprint. So when ever there is a problem, I have to drive 100 mile round trip to get them to look at the phone. Keep in mind that until I move to to this relatively rural county, I lived in NYC for 38 years. Driving 100 for anything to NYers is crazy, since I can walk to anything for where I lived from groceries to cell phones.
    The meltdown was actually put in place by Clinton and Bush helped it by ignoring it existed.

3. I do not need GPS, I have a Garmin Nuvi 250. The gps on the Pre is to dificult to use when you get a call! The screen is much too small for a GPS
    I will never use or purchase a PND. SprintNAV it perfect for the few times I need it a month and beats my factory in-dash GPS in my Honda Odyssey. My brother-in-law relies on it daily and has never let him down, like his Magellen has.

4. In my area no other wireless carrier's phones work in my house. Even with that V's service in my house is so so, depending what room you are in.
    You need to get a femtocell (Sprint Rave). Sprint offers one for free if you call enough times and complain.

5. I get a very large discount, as my Fantastic G/F, works for a company that allows V to have kiosk in their locations. Thus cutting the price of the plan for the 5 phones to a very reasonable price.
    I bet you can get a similar discount from Sprint if you explain the vzw discounts. Although, it may take you a few time to get a "supervisor" who has the authority to give you the promotion. If you do, discuss in percentage discounts you are being offered, not the final cost Vzw vs. Sprint....you want a % discount.

6. Staying with Sprint means staying with the Pre and not the Pre Plus. That is until the c40 what ever it is comes out. On the other side of the coin, I would think we are not too far from the 4G version of the Pre, since Apple is set to launch the 4G Iphone soon, (or so the skuttlebutt says so).
    Sprint iPhone is a rumor. Thjis would have been a hot story already covered on BGR or EngadetMobile or even Smarphone Experts network. I wouldn't count on it.

7. V bounght the lasrgest chunk, (almost all of), the frequencies that use dto be for broadcast TV. These frequencies will give us far better coverage, and do so using far less power. these frquecies will pentrate in to buildings giving far better coverage. They will allow for mcuh faster interent access.

Since V owns most of the frequency and they paid MEGA $ for it, they will make sure that the next generation of phones and wireless devices will do everything but drive your car.
    Vzw bought those frequencies for 4G...do you really think they will not offer this as a "premium" service? You didn't really think they were going to give this to subscribers for free? It's a revenue source and will be exploited. If 3G data for smartphones costs $30/mo...what do you think 4G premium service might cost?

This is a major plus, since battery tech has not moved at the same pace as smart phones. Since these freqencies will provide for much better coverage, the phone's processors will need far less power, thus they will last longer.
    This is a pretty cavalier assumption (assuming you're talking about 4G/LTE...cell phone reception alone, you do have a point). Most of the techies familiar with the 4G technologies are thinking otherwise. However, until its deployed en-masse, we don't really know.

I have to think that V will make sure that what ever they offer for these airwaves will run cirlces arround every one elses other wise, they are going to have a MAJOR PROBLEM in amatizing those frequencies.
    Not really...I highly doubt (from judging they way they currently do business) that they haven't hedged somehow...like a higher service cost to cover R&D and ROI in some rapid fashion.

I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION, ONE OF THE EARLIER POSTS MENTIONED THAT YOU CAN GET A PLAN TO GIVE YOU A NEW SMART PHOEN EVERY YEAR WITH SPRINT, CAN SOME TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT???
    Sprint Premeire...as noted above. $69 price-point on individual lines, $129 on family plan lines. However, on Family Everything Data, the 12 month upgrade applies only to the main phone (as in the 1st phone listed in the plan...but you can change which is considered the "main" line).

Lastly, Sprint is for those willing to take the time to research how to get what you want and willing to take some matters into your own negotiating hands. There is something to be said on being able to take advantage of a 3rd Place player, they are willing to work harder if you "lead" them in that direction. If you have no negotiating skill and don't care to try to barter, stay with VZW. They're far more pleasant on the phone to talk to.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 01/16/2010 at 12:18 PM.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Its plain simple,
    SPRINT plans are always cheaper than Verizon on plans if you match them exactly.

People seems to waste time on this topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by king38 View Post
    The only thing more that it has is the more RAM and storage space and video camcorder, but the video comes to Sprint in February in the next Update.
    the pre plus does not come with video camcorder...they have to wait for 1.4 in Feb just like us
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Its plain simple,
    SPRINT plans are always cheaper than Verizon on plans if you match them exactly.

People seems to waste time on this topic.
    +1
    If you roam during nights and weekends does it still count against your peak minutes? I am looking at my bill and it looks like minutes are always taken off while roaming. I could be wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    If you roam during nights and weekends does it still count against your peak minutes? I am looking at my bill and it looks like minutes are always taken off while roaming. I could be wrong though.
    No, roaming minutes during nights and weekends count as N&W minutes.
    You didn't say who your carrier is, Even though this topic is about Verizon, your other posts seem to indicate you have a Palm Pre, so I'll assume you have that on Sprint with one of the "Everything" plans. Roaming is supposed to be free on that plan, but if you roam more than you have minutes, I believe they will charge you roaming. I'm not exactly sure how this works. The simplest thing would be to call *2 on your phone and ask them to explain the charges and how you can avoid them. (Please add the answer once you learn it in order to help others.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Its sprint but I will try to never call cust service again. Got the $20 off for 24 months deal.
    Its sprint but I will try to never call cust service again. Got the $20 off for 24 months deal.
    Sometimes the calls can be painful, but often, the CSRs know and can explain the issues.

The next helpful thing would be to post more info about your monthly bill,such as the plan codes next to the roaming charges you are questioning. These are usually things like "NW" for nights and weekends. I don't have a bill open so I don't know the exact codes at the moment. Next tell us what plan you are on (such as "Simply Everything", 'Everything Data 450", or whatever). Finally mention anything else you think might be useful such as the total number of minutes billed and if you think the roaming might be happening is some specific geographic location. (Ie: if you live in Detroit or Buffalo, you might get some Canada roaming at $0.60/min, or you might be roaming in an area where Sprint does not provide service.)

hope this helps!
    I have been with Sprint since 98' and no other wireless company has offered anything to get me to switch. I have the everything plan with Sprint....once again no other wireless company has a better offer than that.

Sprint is ALWAYS behind the other companies as far as getting new phones & once again they are with Verizon getting the Pre Plus.

The only thing that would have MADE me switch was if Verizon's Pre had the hot sync back. Right now as I see it they are just getting a Pre with more memory and that isn't going to help me at all when I still won't be able to use the 2 Palm programs that I need for work.

I WANT THE HOT SYNC BACK!
    MILENKID....You said The meltdown was actually put in place by Clinton and Bush helped it by ignoring it existed.

While OT I admit, but if you want to be fully correct, It was Ronnie who said we could spend like crazy, cut taxes and balance the budget, left us huge deficates. The only corerct thing Papa bush ever said in his life was it was VOO DOO economics.

That ead the Gop in congress with Clinton to balance the budget by taking $135 BILLION out of Medicare. (That ammount of $ was raise by Medicare, by raising the medicare with holding and now longer allow medicare from taxes ending just over $100,00. it was put in place to pay for the Baby Boobers health needs as they retire. Well guess what now Medicare has extreemly compromised underpinings.

That would have been bad enough, but Baby Bush, arrived in office with a surplus and ended with a crater we may never climb out of. After all his tax cuts were so heavily weighed for the rich and not all of us evenly. Spupply side is a crock, it is kept alive by the gready talking heads on TV. Let alone 2 wars, neithe rof which had anything to do with 9/11 and at least Iraq, he shoudl have gotten us out of the minute the had the victory banner unfurled on a aircraft carrier.

Now when Obama got in and the ressesion had already started. The fed has 3 tools in it arsenel to fight a ressesion.
    1. tax cuts., 2 cutiing interest, and 3. spending.

1. Tax cuts, could not be used, becuase taxes are so low on the rich already and it still did not help stimulate the ecomony it only got us into a very deep hole.

2. Cutting interest rates, other than credit cards, interst rates are as low as they were over 50 years ago and it still did not help prevent a ressesion. In 1951 my parnts bought a hous ein Flushing Queens, NYC with 4.25% mortgage, that is about in line with todays rates.

Now credit cards were high enough, until Congress decided to chaneg the law, so most credit card companies raised the rates to about 29%! Thanks congress. YOU DID US ALL A BIG FAVOR, (NOT).

3. That leaves only spending to get us out of the mess we are in.

according to the Congressional Buget Office, which is non partisan. Obama's spending wil only be 10% of the deficit. Now that is a lot better than going into a depression, which even the most concerative economists thisks we were headed.

My alst OT point in all of this, Calif. is in all the trouble it is in b/c of prop 13. both the NY Times and the WS journal agree on that. Thus covering the left and right views. Sorry Ronnie, unlike what you claimed, you cannot spend like crazy, cut taxes to the bone and not cut services.

Years ago, there was a politial expression. SO GOES MAIN, SO GOES THE NATION....b/c Maine ahd voted with the winner for Prez for decades. I am afraid it has become....SO GOES CALIF, SO GOES THE NATION.

Look no one likes to pay taxes, but if you want roads and schools they b/c an evil we have to live with. However we as a nation have not lived within our means in decades.

However, the knee jurk reaction of all of us is to say, no new taxes and to want to pay less. Unfortunately, it will lead to people not having a background in economics to pass reforendums (sp), such as prop 13. After all look at the Tea Bag Movement.

As for any typos, keep in mind I am disabeld and am doing the best I can. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm sure all the plans are about 20 bucks more for each Verizon plan and you lose a couple of features like Navigation, Any Mobile, and Nights and Weekends at 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by melindawarren View Post
    I have been with Sprint since 98' and no other wireless company has offered anything to get me to switch. I have the everything plan with Sprint....once again no other wireless company has a better offer than that.

Sprint is ALWAYS behind the other companies as far as getting new phones & once again they are with Verizon getting the Pre Plus.

The only thing that would have MADE me switch was if Verizon's Pre had the hot sync back. Right now as I see it they are just getting a Pre with more memory and that isn't going to help me at all when I still won't be able to use the 2 Palm programs that I need for work.

I WANT THE HOT SYNC BACK!
    I'm pretty sure the Palm CEO mentioned that the Pre+ is going to have the "touchstone" back. Considering that the back costs around $10, it seems illogical to me that you'd choose Verizon over Sprint's cost savings just for that! What two programs do you need for work?
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Palm CEO mentioned that the Pre+ is going to have the "touchstone" back. Considering that the back costs around $10, it seems illogical to me that you'd choose Verizon over Sprint's cost savings just for that! What two programs do you need for work?
    Its a timetable schedule & my work schedule. The company I work for & the company we get our schedules for both have programs made just for Palm. And I can only use them if I can hot-sync because the only way to update these are to download them to my computer.

Not sure what you mean about the touchstone back. But if I switched to Verizon I would still be paying more for their service than what I get with Sprint.

So unless Verizon is getting the Pre plus with hot sync & I can use my work programs I am staying with Sprint. Why pay more when the phone still won't do what I needed it to do from the beginning.....can't sync my contacts & can't use my 2 work programs and there is no app out there currently that will let me do this.
    Last edited by melindawarren; 01/17/2010 at 07:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by melindawarren View Post
    Its a timetable schedule & my work schedule. The company I work for & the company we get our schedules for both have programs made just for Palm. And I can only use them if I can hot-sync because the only way to update these are to download them to my computer.

Not sure what you mean about the touchstone back. But if I switched to Verizon I would still be paying more for their service than what I get with Sprint.

So unless Verizon is getting the Pre plus with hot sync & I can use my work programs I am staying with Sprint. Why pay more when the phone still won't do what I needed it to do from the beginning.....can't sync my contacts & can't use my 2 work programs and there is no app out there currently that will let me do this.
    Now I'm realizing that whatever you mean by "hotsync back" is probably different than what i thought you were meaning. I've never heard of anything called a "hotsync back" so I thought you might have been mis-speaking and really meant "touchstone back", but now I see that's not what you meant. The "touchstone back cover" is a special back for the Palm Pre so you can place the phone on a charger that's also an electromagnet. There is a special coil in the touchstone back cover that picks up the magnetic field and translates it back into electrical current that charges the Pre. (They have a similar cover that fits the Palm Pixi smartphone.)

In your case, the simplest Sprint phone that also functions as a PalmOS PDA is the Palm Centro. It's still available on Sprint and it's pretty cheap (around $30-$40 with a new contract). With this phone, you also don't need an "Everything" data plan. The older-style accounts (ie: a "minutes" plan) will be fine. You'll pay an extra $15/month for the non "Everything" data plan. There is a lot of good software for the Centro on PalmOS so (unless you are in love with WebOS) the Centro on Sprint would be your easiest and cheapest option for both a phone and the PDA for your schedule. If you have your heart set on WebOS, there are programs that allow you to hotsync but I'm not sure how well they would work. There is a program called "classic" on WebOS that lets you run (many) PalmOS programs. Maybe someone on here might know if they work. (Perhaps there might be some information on "Airline Pilot Forums" .com. The site is mostly geared toward pilots but they need to know schedules too. For all I know, you might be a pilot. I don't usually visit that site regularly. (I did for a while after Sully landed on the Hudson.)

If you can give more info about what you mean by the "hotsync back", that might be helpful. Since that might not yet exist, we'll have to ask around here to see if anyone has hotsync solutions or programs to read palm data files into webos. If you can share the specific airline you use, someone on here might know some tricks or (if it's a big airline) maybe some of the hobby programmers around here might write a program.

Good luck (and thanks for keeping the skies safe)
    --
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Now I'm realizing that whatever you mean by "hotsync back" is probably different than what i thought you were meaning. I've never heard of anything called a "hotsync back" so I thought you might have been mis-speaking and really meant "touchstone back", but now I see that's not what you meant. The "touchstone back cover" is a special back for the Palm Pre so you can place the phone on a charger that's also an electromagnet. There is a special coil in the touchstone back cover that picks up the magnetic field and translates it back into electrical current that charges the Pre. (They have a similar cover that fits the Palm Pixi smartphone.)

In your case, the simplest Sprint phone that also functions as a PalmOS PDA is the Palm Centro. It's still available on Sprint and it's pretty cheap (around $30-$40 with a new contract). With this phone, you also don't need an "Everything" data plan. The older-style accounts (ie: a "minutes" plan) will be fine. You'll pay an extra $15/month for the non "Everything" data plan. There is a lot of good software for the Centro on PalmOS so (unless you are in love with WebOS) the Centro on Sprint would be your easiest and cheapest option for both a phone and the PDA for your schedule. If you have your heart set on WebOS, there are programs that allow you to hotsync but I'm not sure how well they would work. There is a program called "classic" on WebOS that lets you run (many) PalmOS programs. Maybe someone on here might know if they work. (Perhaps there might be some information on "Airline Pilot Forums" .com. The site is mostly geared toward pilots but they need to know schedules too. For all I know, you might be a pilot. I don't usually visit that site regularly. (I did for a while after Sully landed on the Hudson.)

If you can give more info about what you mean by the "hotsync back", that might be helpful. Since that might not yet exist, we'll have to ask around here to see if anyone has hotsync solutions or programs to read palm data files into webos. If you can share the specific airline you use, someone on here might know some tricks or (if it's a big airline) maybe some of the hobby programmers around here might write a program.

Good luck (and thanks for keeping the skies safe)
    --
    Bob
    LOL! Yeah I know about the special touchstone back. I got that the first day when I got the Pre......on the first day. I have had all of the Palms and I am well aware of the centro etc. I waited a very long time for Palm to catch up with EVERY other cell maker and put out something like the Pre to go back to something as bad & as heavy as the Centro. Flightline is working on a program that will work with webos but since Sprint is the only one that has it and it's not a iphone I don't think they are working very hard at getting it out. The program was made back when it was all about Palm & PDAs. And all of the apps that are out like the "run classic apps" etc. I have tried and they DON'T work to run the apps that I need & they won't be until my 2 companies make their apps work with WebOS.

I was reading on one of the sites that everyone will be using webso sooner or later so I will just have to wait it out until they catch up.

Thanks Bob & I might miss my flight cause I can't see my schedule but we will be safe!! WAIT! That didn't sound right!!! HAHA!!
    Last edited by melindawarren; 01/17/2010 at 09:54 PM.
    We have a Sprint family plan with 5 Pre's. The bill is $215 per month including $7 equipment protection on each phone. We all keep our phones with Roaming enabled so we can use Verizon if Sprint is not available. Some us send over 1000 text messages a month, some use 1G of data. We are not ever close to using using our 1500 minutes. This includes a 12% discount I get from work, but would get the same from Verizon. My guess is an equivalent plan from Verizon would be $100 more a month. Sprint is very generous in only charging you minutes for using the Verizon network for calls as we have plenty. 2 phones are in Ore and 3 are in CA so you can easily put together a family.
    My last bill was $80, Everything Data 450 + TEP + Surcharges/Fees/Tax.

I used:
    - 46 anytime minutes
    - 86 mobile-to-mobile minutes
    - sent/received 1200 texts (I purposely sent way more than I normally would to anyone just to see how much I could rack up. Before this I went over 300 a month twice in the past 5-6 years I've had a phone that could send text messages)
    - 721 MB of Data

My business requires me to do more face-to-face interactions (I don't want to be Barksdale'd). A friend of mine I grew up with from Baltimore, Russel Bell, didn't learn that lesson too well

Based on my usage history, the bottom line pricing would be more important than the value a plan brings. If Verizon or ATT offered a cheaper plan that gave a little less, I think I would go with the Verizon's Palm or ATT's iPhone. The plan was more important than the phone, I definitely would have jumped ship if Sprint didn't offer the Everything Data 450 plan (customer since 1999).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    AT&T is the most expensive for smartphones by far. Even then, the all the other carriers are fairly close in plan costs. Sprint just happens to be quite a bit cheaper for comparable plans with anyone else.

Not True. I work at a place that rhymes with radio tack(you know, cant say the name, company policy) and we sell AT&T, Sprint, and Tmobile. I also used to work at Circuit City where we sold Verizon. AT&T and Verizon until today carried the same pricing. AT&T just lowered their bills a tad but it still has nothing on Sprints network.

Good thing about Sprint is they have great service, the Best data coverage, easy to get approved, and more bang for buck. One thing to consider though is sprint just added a charge where if you have a "spending limit" there is a charge of around 5 dollars per month for that. Just started that other than that everything checks out.

Now, Verizon I have nothing bad to say besides too expensive and they like to "tweak" their smart phones. They want to be in more control. Thats how it is with BB's anyway. They are a little harder with credit checks also but other than that they are a great company as well. The thing I'm most excited about is the fact that the more networks the pre is on, the more apps.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Given the fact it all started with sprint, don't be startled if Verizons exclusivity is cut short due to demand, or unless (hopefully) Palm comes out with the Pre Plus Turbo at the end of this year (or whatever comes next after the Pre Plus) and it winds up on sprint again.

that or someone on here will figure a way to get the Plus to work on sprint, m
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast