Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hopefully Sprint & T-Mobile's pricing strategy will force other carriers to lower their prices, though I'm not holding my breath.
    As long as Verizon continues to gain customers they will not be changing their rate plans.
    Also, VZW customers should look into the "VIP" program. It provides modest discounts on phones and accessories, and (I believe) eliminates activation fees. Ask rep or search for it. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    From what I remember, they also make your purchase your data as a mandatory add-on, instead of simply having it as one price. This allows them to deduct any discounts you receive ONLY from your minutes plan - so if you're plan is 39.99 for 450 minutes and 44.95 for Unlimited Data, your discount only comes off of the 39.99. So really, the plan can end up being much more than $10 more by the time you get your bill.
    I shouldn't ever see any charges for any roaming (that's what their plan says). But where I was looking at was my online bill where I can check the usage for the month, under the call details. It gives the codes for what type of call it is:

AM - Off Network - Included in America Plan
    WC - Any Mobile,Anytime
    NW - Night and Weekends
    CW - Call Waiting
    PU - Plan/Promotional Usage

There is drop down menu that lets one select voice calls or roaming calls (I thought it would show me useage for direct connect, text, data, etc.). When I select roaming calls, it comes back and tells me "There are no Roaming calls during this billing period" . I checked the last three months, and it's all the same. I know that is incorrrect because I know that I've been in areas that I was roaming. The same it true for my other two lines. That is why I'm questioning how they apply the Anytime Any Mobile rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    It's possible that while you were roaming it just used regular anytime minutes where roaming is free. I don't think it would be indicated on your bill until you went over your anytime minutes.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    From what I remember, they also make your purchase your data as a mandatory add-on, instead of simply having it as one price. This allows them to deduct any discounts you receive ONLY from your minutes plan - ...
    EDIT: Many companies/universities also have employee discounts. If yours is over 10% use that instead of the credit union.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Everything Data family makes the price comparison even better IMO. Right now, it's only a marginal savings since technically only 2/4 phones I have are making use of data.

But once verizon starts charging the extra $10 for "full featured non-smartphones," then it will add up. Or if my sister decides to get a smartphone next. I just hope Sprint can stay alive and keep the pricing structure they have, or even lower it =)

Though, sprint nav on the pre is pretty bad IMO. I wouldn't use verizon's option either, so that cost is moot.
    Over at webOSroundup we've posted an article comparing the difference in plans and whether it is enough of a factor for those on Sprint to consider switching.

Check it out: Should You Switch to Verizon for the Pre Plus? | webOSroundup
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    That's not true. While those are the only national carriers, there are many regional carriers that run CDMA networks.

Verizon may not have roaming agreements with all of them, but there are certainly more CDMA networks than Sprint and Verizon/Alltel.
    thts right, there are others such as US Cellular
    Today called Sprint asking about cheaper plan... have the 129$ everything data family...mentioned the teaser of moving to big V for better Pre and WiFi Pixi, comparing plan at about a 10$ difference. Rep offered me a 20$ reduction for the next 24 months for renewing 2yr agreement. So now I get it for 109$ a month. SWEET!

It's only logical that before long Sprint will also get same Pre; it's all about parity Meanwhile, enjoy the savings!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    Over at webOSroundup we've posted an article comparing the difference in plans and whether it is enough of a factor for those on Sprint to consider switching.

Check it out: Should You Switch to Verizon for the Pre Plus? | webOSroundup
    Your data is missing gps charges on Verizon, which would add $10 to the cost.

FYI, I created a spreadsheet that you can plug in information about your requirements and what it would cost on Sprint vs Verizon. You can get to it at this post:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2156706

Please let me know if you find any errors.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 01/15/2010 at 06:17 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    we (sprint users) also have unlimited anytime mobile minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    Though, sprint nav on the pre is pretty bad IMO. I wouldn't use verizon's option either, so that cost is moot.
    My Sprint Nav works perfect.
    I can't ever see myself switching to Verizon, not so long as I still get 4 phones with essentially unlimited everything (1500 minutes, but with any mobile any time) for 179 a month. Comparable plan with Verizon is near $250 a month. As people have pointed out, they charge for every little thing. To get the detailed bill (like Sprint gives at no cost) its an extra few $$ a month. On many plans, they limit you to 1000 texts off network... wth is that?!
    Quote Originally Posted by splitsick View Post
    My Sprint Nav works perfect.
    Dittio...I can map a destination on it faster than I can on my Honda Oddesey and prompts the queued direction quicker.

I've even gone toe-to-toe on the paid-app for the BlackBerry (Garmin or Tom-Tom, can't remember) and it was equally as informative and locked much quicker at start.
    There are a few points you are over looking.

1. I was with Sprint up until about 3 years ago. The people in the Sprint store are poorly informed and nasty. YOU WOULD BE TOO, IF YOU THOGHT YOU MIGHT LOSE YOUR JOB, SINCE SPRINT HAS ENDLESS LAYOFFS TO GO WITH IT'S NEVER ENDING MIGRATION OF CUSTOMERS TO OTHER CARRIERS. V's service people have always be polite and more than helpful.

2. In my county, Sprint has no repair shop. They did not have one while I had my Treo 300, 600 and for 5 months when I had my 650. They then spun off land line business and named it Embarq, (g-d awful name), and the only repair shop in my county, went with the Embarq deal. So once again, there is no repair depot in my county.

It is Ironic, considering that until Bush's finacial meltdown, we were thea fastest growing county in the State, and still ignored by Sprint. So when ever there is a problem, I have to drive 100 mile round trip to get them to look at the phone. Keep in mind that until I move to to this relatively rural county, I lived in NYC for 38 years. Driving 100 for anything to NYers is crazy, since I can walk to anything for where I lived from groceries to cell phones.

3. I do not need GPS, I have a Garmin Nuvi 250. The gps on the Pre is to dificult to use when you get a call! The screen is much too small for a GPS.

4. In my area no other wireless carrier's phones work in my house. Even with that V's service in my house is so so, depending what room you are in.

5. I get a very large discount, as my Fantastic G/F, works for a company that allows V to have kiosk in their locations. Thus cutting the price of the plan for the 5 phones to a very reasonable price.

6. Staying with Sprint means staying with the Pre and not the Pre Plus. That is until the c40 what ever it is comes out. On the other side of the coin, I would think we are not too far from the 4G version of the Pre, since Apple is set to launch the 4G Iphone soon, (or so the skuttlebutt says so).

7. V bounght the lasrgest chunk, (almost all of), the frequencies that use dto be for broadcast TV. These frequencies will give us far better coverage, and do so using far less power. these frquecies will pentrate in to buildings giving far better coverage. They will allow for mcuh faster interent access.

Since V owns most of the frequency and they paid MEGA $ for it, they will make sure that the next generation of phones and wireless devices will do everything but drive your car.

This is a major plus, since battery tech has not moved at the same pace as smart phones. Since these freqencies will provide for much better coverage, the phone's processors will need far less power, thus they will last longer.

I have to think that V will make sure that what ever they offer for these airwaves will run cirlces arround every one elses other wise, they are going to have a MAJOR PROBLEM in amatizing those frequencies.

I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION, ONE OF THE EARLIER POSTS MENTIONED THAT YOU CAN GET A PLAN TO GIVE YOU A NEW SMART PHOEN EVERY YEAR WITH SPRINT, CAN SOME TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT???

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    There are a few points you are over looking.

1. I was with Sprint up until about 3 years ago. The people in the Sprint store are poorly informed and nasty. YOU WOULD BE TOO, IF YOU THOGHT YOU MIGHT LOSE YOUR JOB, SINCE SPRINT HAS ENDLESS LAYOFFS TO GO WITH IT'S NEVER ENDING MIGRATION OF CUSTOMERS TO OTHER CARRIERS. V's service people have always be polite and more than helpful.

2. In my county, Sprint has no repair shop. They did not have one while I had my Treo 300, 600 and for 5 months when I had my 650. They then spun off land line business and named it Embarq, (g-d awful name), and the only repair shop in my county, went with the Embarq deal. So once again, there is no repair depot in my county.

It is Ironic, considering that until Bush's finacial meltdown, we were thea fastest growing county in the State, and still ignored by Sprint. So when ever there is a problem, I have to drive 100 mile round trip to get them to look at the phone. Keep in mind that until I move to to this relatively rural county, I lived in NYC for 38 years. Driving 100 for anything to NYers is crazy, since I can walk to anything for where I lived from groceries to cell phones.

3. I do not need GPS, I have a Garmin Nuvi 250. The gps on the Pre is to dificult to use when you get a call! The screen is much too small for a GPS.

4. In my area no other wireless carrier's phones work in my house. Even with that V's service in my house is so so, depending what room you are in.

5. I get a very large discount, as my Fantastic G/F, works for a company that allows V to have kiosk in their locations. Thus cutting the price of the plan for the 5 phones to a very reasonable price.

6. Staying with Sprint means staying with the Pre and not the Pre Plus. That is until the c40 what ever it is comes out. On the other side of the coin, I would think we are not too far from the 4G version of the Pre, since Apple is set to launch the 4G Iphone soon, (or so the skuttlebutt says so).

7. V bounght the lasrgest chunk, (almost all of), the frequencies that use dto be for broadcast TV. These frequencies will give us far better coverage, and do so using far less power. these frquecies will pentrate in to buildings giving far better coverage. They will allow for mcuh faster interent access.

Since V owns most of the frequency and they paid MEGA $ for it, they will make sure that the next generation of phones and wireless devices will do everything but drive your car.

This is a major plus, since battery tech has not moved at the same pace as smart phones. Since these freqencies will provide for much better coverage, the phone's processors will need far less power, thus they will last longer.

I have to think that V will make sure that what ever they offer for these airwaves will run cirlces arround every one elses other wise, they are going to have a MAJOR PROBLEM in amatizing those frequencies.

I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION, ONE OF THE EARLIER POSTS MENTIONED THAT YOU CAN GET A PLAN TO GIVE YOU A NEW SMART PHOEN EVERY YEAR WITH SPRINT, CAN SOME TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT???

Take care, Jay
    That guy was referring to Sprint Premier and you are eligible with the 69.99 plan and above if you pay it for 3 months with no changes to the account. Sprint to me is an amazing carrier and gives its customer's a lot of stuff but...my personal experience with Sprint has just been awful so I will never come back lol. Even with the ever tempting Any Mobile and the super awesome Sprint Premier I just can't come back.

I get a discount so the plans wont be too expensive plus I think I'm gonna try use my friends email account at best buy to get a better discount. I am also used to higher plans since I have been with AT&T and as far as that free Sprint roaming if I am not mistaken its only 1X roaming not EV-DO and thats not good enough. Pre Plus here I come lol!!
    Jay, I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with Sprint. However, I don't think anyone here is really overlooking anything because it seems like you had an issue that is not applicable to most of us (your G/F's lovely VZW discount, for example).

The Sprint store near me has fantastic customer service people who have bent over backwards for me and my family for years. We don't have a repair shop nearby either, but when there's been an issue with any of our phones, they will send them off for repair and give us a replacement for that time - or we use one of our many backup phones at home.

Also, I am close friends with the manager of a corporate Verizon store, and he can't even get me close with the discount he can give to family and friends to what I pay with Sprint (have a 22% discount on top of their already low pricing).

Also, I know people have talked about the issues with roaming. I'm not sure about how the anytime mobile to mobile works as far as minute usage, but I do know that I have EVDO when I roam across the state of South Dakota (as long as I turn on data usage in roaming - which I don't think costs me any extra).

i like the GPS on my Pixi. It is a small screen, but it works in a pinch for sure...especially when I'm in a vehicle that is not my own (which has a TomTom) and directions are needed. If I had a Pre, I'd probably just use that in lieu of my TomTom.

Just one woman's opinion! :-)
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    BTW...if you do care about navigation...add another $10 to that VZW plan. Just enable Roam Only toggle to your Sprint Pre and you can have almost the same coverage if you're worried about that.
    Exactly what I tell people. Anytime Im not in the greater Sacramento area, or where i know theres some lack of coverage like up the hill, ill switch to roam only. Works perfect.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Like a couple of users said about the plan differences....... Here's a breakdown.

Sprint plan w/ unlimited everything and 450 mins. includes unlimited mobile to mobile to any mobile provider. $69.99

Verizon plan w/ 450 min. plan includes unlimited txt, data, and pic & video msg. No navi or v cast video included. Also you only get unlimited mobile to mobile to Verizon customers only All for $69.99.

Another thing Verizon only has the Pre plus and Pixi Plus exclusively for a certain amount of months. For all Sprint customers that does mean its gona come a time that Sprint will have it. The only thing more that it has is the more RAM and storage space and video camcorder, but the video comes to Sprint in February in the next Update.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast