Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 81
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Verizon always expensive than any carrier.
    Folks who don't do their apples to apples comparison never understand it.
    Their claim of being the best network is allowing them to charge more.

    But SPRINT gets you covered everywhere Verizon has a signal with ROAM only option.
    AT&T is the most expensive for smartphones by far. Even then, the all the other carriers are fairly close in plan costs. Sprint just happens to be quite a bit cheaper for comparable plans with anyone else.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    But SPRINT gets you covered everywhere Verizon has a signal with ROAM only option.
    Almost....
    Where Vzw does not have coverage, they too have raoming agreements with other carriers. Sprint only has a roaming agreement to use Vzw native towers. That is, if VZW coverage isn't from a vzw tower, Sprint can not roam on it. However, I assume that Sprint has it's own native coverage overlap in most of those locations.

    For those wondering about Sprint's automatic roaming, the Roam Only forces immediate roaming. Sprint is well kown to have a very low threshold in automatice mode. Even if you get one bar coverage that's in-and-out of reception, Sprint's automatic mode will not switch to roam. I think it only roams in the total absence of a Sprint signal.

    And, there is no 3G data in roam...onlt 1x.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Almost....
    Where Vzw does not have coverage, they too have raoming agreements with other carriers. Sprint only has a roaming agreement to use Vzw native towers. That is, if VZW coverage isn't from a vzw tower, Sprint can not roam on it. However, I assume that Sprint has it's own native coverage overlap in most of those locations.

    For those wondering about Sprint's automatic roaming, the Roam Only forces immediate roaming. Sprint is well kown to have a very low threshold in automatice mode. Even if you get one bar coverage that's in-and-out of reception, Sprint's automatic mode will not switch to roam. I think it only roams in the total absence of a Sprint signal.

    And, there is no 3G data in roam...onlt 1x.
    Verizon doesn't have roaming agreements with anyone else, because after buying Altel, the only other CDMA network is Sprint. Verizon cannot roam off of ATT or T-Mobile as they are GSM and not compatible. The only way Verizon can roam off GSM is on a world phone, but you would need to have a SIM card for that anyway, so it is technically not roaming.

    Back in the analog days, these roaming agreements did exist, but when GSM and CMDA became the standard and analog was toast, those roaming agreements were toast too.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Verizon doesn't have roaming agreements with anyone else, because after buying Altel, the only other CDMA network is Sprint. Verizon cannot roam off of ATT or T-Mobile as they are GSM and not compatible. The only way Verizon can roam off GSM is on a world phone, but you would need to have a SIM card for that anyway, so it is technically not roaming.

    Back in the analog days, these roaming agreements did exist, but when GSM and CMDA became the standard and analog was toast, those roaming agreements were toast too.
    That's true...after buying Alltel, most of the roaming issue went away. However, There are still a few small regional CDMA networks around. VZW may or may not have overlap in those minimal markets after the Alltel aquisition.
  5. ksom's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    It is like I said from the start. You need to know the difference between mobile web and true internet access a la the Palm Pre. Mobile web is that chinzy web portal. Unlimited text based internet.... not compatible with the Pre. Pre unlimited data is going to be like if not exactly the same plan as the Droid. 30 bucks for data.

    Mobile Web
    Get the latest news, sports, and weather. Play fantasy football. Bid with eBay®. Enjoy Mobile Banking for Bank of America Online Banking customers, and more.

    Mobile Web is included in all Nationwide Calling Plans. Megabyte charges apply on Basic and Select Plans. Unless you subscribe to a Data Package, Connect or Premium Calling Plans, megabytes sent or received using Mobile Web (including advertising) will be aggregated each month, rounded up to the next megabyte, and billed at $1.99/MB.†

    †Rates are rounded to the nearest whole megabyte. One megabyte is equal to 1024 kilobytes. Application charges apply in addition to charges for data sent/received


    Plan price for Unlimited Data for Smartphone/PDA is $99.99. That's just one line and only 450 minutes.
    Thanks for the correction. It is pretty tricky with these plans. I wonder how Verizon got away with charging so much. If the future is smartphone, then Verizon has a problem. Same for AT&T, but at I guess Apple lovers would pay anything for the iPhone.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Verizon doesn't have roaming agreements with anyone else, because after buying Altel, the only other CDMA network is Sprint. Verizon cannot roam off of ATT or T-Mobile as they are GSM and not compatible. The only way Verizon can roam off GSM is on a world phone, but you would need to have a SIM card for that anyway, so it is technically not roaming.

    Back in the analog days, these roaming agreements did exist, but when GSM and CMDA became the standard and analog was toast, those roaming agreements were toast too.
    That's not true. While those are the only national carriers, there are many regional carriers that run CDMA networks.

    Verizon may not have roaming agreements with all of them, but there are certainly more CDMA networks than Sprint and Verizon/Alltel.
  7. #27  
    The Plan Builder they have is a piece of junk. I tried it, just to see how much I would be saving. It won't even let you build a family plan. So I tried just a single line for a PDA smartphone. Went unlimited everything, added Vcast, VZ nav, video voice mail, and the price went to $119/month. Then in the next step, it showed a breakdown of what was in the plan. It then told me I would need to select a Data Plan at check out, for an additional $29.99 or $49.99. The fine print at the botom:

    "You'll be asked to select a data or email feature during checkout. For Nationwide Select Plans, you’ll need to add any desired Sweeteners to your cart during checkout on the Select Features page or download them after purchase."

    This was the fine print for the "sweeteners" that were added:

    "The Nationwide Select Monthly Access charge includes the calling plan minutes as well as unlimited messaging. If you add additional Sweeteners during checkout or if you download them after purchase, your price will increase. "

    Lots of fine print and hidden costs with Verizon. Like I said, there is no one that can compete with the Sprint plans right now.




    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I just did a quick look at Verizon plan:
    Verizon Wireless

    It looks like Verizon is $10 more than Sprint for individuals. And if you don't care about mobile TV and GPS navigation, it is $69.

    With that, it is pretty attractive for Pre lovers to move. That said, I don't plan to move yet, because I want to see what Sprint will get later this year. I can upgrade in August, so if there is a new version coming to Sprint, I don't want to miss that.

    What do rest of you think about this $10 difference? Does it worth the additional memory and 16GB flash for a new user?
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  8. #28  
    Sprint has roaming agreement with other carriers besides Vz. When I visit my brother in southern Oregon, the local carrier for him is US Cellular, and I get roaming coveage through them, both data and voice.




    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Almost....
    Where Vzw does not have coverage, they too have raoming agreements with other carriers. Sprint only has a roaming agreement to use Vzw native towers. That is, if VZW coverage isn't from a vzw tower, Sprint can not roam on it. However, I assume that Sprint has it's own native coverage overlap in most of those locations.

    For those wondering about Sprint's automatic roaming, the Roam Only forces immediate roaming. Sprint is well kown to have a very low threshold in automatice mode. Even if you get one bar coverage that's in-and-out of reception, Sprint's automatic mode will not switch to roam. I think it only roams in the total absence of a Sprint signal.

    And, there is no 3G data in roam...onlt 1x.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    That's not true. While those are the only national carriers, there are many regional carriers that run CDMA networks.

    Verizon may not have roaming agreements with all of them, but there are certainly more CDMA networks than Sprint and Verizon/Alltel.
    You are right. I wasn't really factoring in the regional carriers as none of them are large enough to really change much of anything for the normal user. For all intents and purposes, the voice coverage of Sprint and Verizon are identical.

    Case in point... 90 percent of the population lives in areas of at least 3000 people or more. (2000 Census)

    Verizon covers 97.4% of those areas on their own network. (according to an analysis of their map). Leaving 2.6% uncovered, or covered by a mom and pop CMDA carrier. Not a staggering number by any stretch.

    As a whole, the regional carriers have little influence other than to allow people who visit very small towns the ability to roam off their towers.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  10. #30  
    In addition, Verizon's ETF is now $350. I would hate to see government get involved here (it's Verizon's right to charge whatever they want), but I'd never go with Verizon with that kind of disconnect fee to go along with $360 more (at least) per year.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    You are right. I wasn't really factoring in the regional carriers as none of them are large enough to really change much of anything for the normal user. For all intents and purposes, the voice coverage of Sprint and Verizon are identical.

    Case in point... 90 percent of the population lives in areas of at least 3000 people or more. (2000 Census)

    Verizon covers 97.4% of those areas on their own network. (according to an analysis of their map). Leaving 2.6% uncovered, or covered by a mom and pop CMDA carrier. Not a staggering number by any stretch.

    As a whole, the regional carriers have little influence other than to allow people who visit very small towns the ability to roam off their towers.
    I still think they're significant because of all the roaming that goes on because of man-made obstructions and not a general lack of coverage in heavily populated areas.

    I'm in Chicago and I roam most when I'm downtown (which is obviously covered by Sprint and Verizon) because of all the huge buildings. I'm sure I could have hit a US Cellular tower a time or two because reception can be downright nasty at times even outdoors.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I still think they're significant because of all the roaming that goes on because of man-made obstructions and not a general lack of coverage in heavily populated areas.

    I'm in Chicago and I roam most when I'm downtown (which is obviously covered by Sprint and Verizon) because of all the huge buildings. I'm sure I could have hit a US Cellular tower a time or two because reception can be downright nasty at times even outdoors.
    With you on the Chicago thing. Never been in a worse place for cell signal.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    your only getting 450 min. and mobile to mobile on the verizon network. with sprint you get 450 min and mobile to mobile to any cell phone.

    i guess it just depends on you, i like the m2m for any cell, however i am a power user and use about 4-7k min a month. i just really can not stand verizons customer service as a whole.
    7,000 monthly minutes... almost 117 hours of talking. That's mind-boggling!

    No wonder you have that "Bond-- James Bond" look on your face.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by krusenkevin View Post
    7,000 monthly minutes... almost 117 hours of talking. That's mind-boggling!

    No wonder you have that "Bond-- James Bond" look on your face.
    If it's mostly for business that isn't so bad.

    But if it's just for chit-chatting, he must be one popular guy.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    If it's mostly for business that isn't so bad.

    But if it's just for chit-chatting, he must be one popular guy.
    I think after 3000 minutes you start to glow in the dark.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  16. #36  
    I would have to question that. I just looked at my past bills since Any Mobile Anytime took affect and I don't see any calls listed as roaming on any of my phones and I know that I've been in roaming coverage at some point. I know the plan says it is only good on the Sprint/Nextel network, but how are they going to disinguish on your account? I look at the plan usage for the billing periods, and there is an option for looking at roaming calls, and when I click it, it says no for this billing period for all three of my line. Makes one wonder what their criteria is for determining what a roaming call is.



    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    True, but you don't get "Any Mobile, Anytime" free while roaming so you will use your up your minutes when calling someone on another carrier.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I would have to question that. I just looked at my past bills since Any Mobile Anytime took affect and I don't see any calls listed as roaming on any of my phones and I know that I've been in roaming coverage at some point. I know the plan says it is only good on the Sprint/Nextel network, but how are they going to disinguish on your account? I look at the plan usage for the billing periods, and there is an option for looking at roaming calls, and when I click it, it says no for this billing period for all three of my line. Makes one wonder what their criteria is for determining what a roaming call is.
    It's possible that while you were roaming it just used regular anytime minutes where roaming is free. I don't think it would be indicated on your bill until you went over your anytime minutes.
  18. #38  
    You can turn on data roaming. And Sprint's new tiered ETF is AWESOME. You pay as little as $50 to terminate your contract(1 month before contract is up)
  19. digink's Avatar
    Posts
    322 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    #39  
    On a side note, I always hear people complain about having dropped calls and spotty coverage with sprint.. (mostly att users say that) but from my Treo, to my Centro, now to the Pre I have never had any dropped calls or lack of coverage. Even with like 1-2 bars in my office building I get text messages, data, and calls with no problem.

    I've always loved Sprints service and prices, the customer service can be iffy but how often do you have to deal with that?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I would have to question that. I just looked at my past bills since Any Mobile Anytime took affect and I don't see any calls listed as roaming on any of my phones and I know that I've been in roaming coverage at some point. I know the plan says it is only good on the Sprint/Nextel network, but how are they going to disinguish on your account? I look at the plan usage for the billing periods, and there is an option for looking at roaming calls, and when I click it, it says no for this billing period for all three of my line. Makes one wonder what their criteria is for determining what a roaming call is.
    I don't know the specifics, but I was told this by a friend (A kiosk employee) so I called to confirm it with Sprint. Two separate reps told me that if I initiate the call while roaming it will be dinged as a minute used and will not be considered any mobile any time.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions