Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Okay I was one of those that stood in line at 5 in the morning to get the PRE. I was in love but they where slacking on things that don't need to be mentioned because everyone knows. So I decided to go get a Hero. Boy was I happy becuase it has tons of apps like LOCALE (someone please make this for the PRE). But the more and more I used it the Hero would get slower and slower. Needless to say I left the hero and ran to the PRE again. It is the best phone on the market but it ****es me off that over priced verizon is getting the plus and Sprint isn't. What a load of crap!!! Keep the updates and apps coming!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastridge View Post
    Okay I was one of those that stood in line at 5 in the morning to get the PRE. I was in love but they where slacking on things that don't need to be mentioned because everyone knows. So I decided to go get a Hero. Boy was I happy becuase it has tons of apps like LOCALE (someone please make this for the PRE). But the more and more I used it the Hero would get slower and slower. Needless to say I left the hero and ran to the PRE again. It is the best phone on the market but it ****es me off that over priced verizon is getting the plus and Sprint isn't. What a load of crap!!! Keep the updates and apps coming!!!
    As stated else where, Verizon is getting the pluses for now (AT&T will probably get them too, eventually) and that Sprint will most likely be getting the Pre 2 first. So it all works out in the end.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    welcome back ;-) I wanted to get a hero originally but after playing with it at the store i just wasn't satisfied.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I had the same problems with my Hero. It was a nice device, but the touchscreen seemed sluggish, and IMO the battery life is even worse than the Pre. Even with my Pre having some scratches and a pretty bad oreo twist, I still think it is a better phone than the Hero.

Don't worry about Verizon getting the Pre Plus. Their service is more expensive, and you pay for every feature, where most of that is included in Sprints plans, depending on your plan.

I will stick with Sprint and my Pre, and wait for the next evolution of the Pre to come to Sprint. By that time, I will be up for a new phone, and will be glad to get up early to wait for the new Pre, whatever it will be called.
    Even with the oreo I still love the pre-form factor. Being able to operate it one handed is awesome. I'm currently taking anatomy lab. It's great to only have to take off one of my gloves to send a quick text and not have to worry about getting various fluids on my phone (not sure if the hero has a horizontal keyboard, but if it does I very much dislike that form factor). Anyways we all have expensive enough sprint plans that we will qualify for sprint premiere and will be able to upgrade to the pre 2 once it arrives. In the meantime enjoy having a great phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomelessguy View Post
    Even with the oreo I still love the pre-form factor. Being able to operate it one handed is awesome. I'm currently taking anatomy lab. It's great to only have to take off one of my gloves to send a quick text and not have to worry about getting various fluids on my phone (not sure if the hero has a horizontal keyboard, but if it does I very much dislike that form factor). Anyways we all have expensive enough sprint plans that we will qualify for sprint premiere and will be able to upgrade to the pre 2 once it arrives. In the meantime enjoy having a great phone!
    You are a brave brave man. I didn't even dare to bring my phone into my anatomy lab. That smell lingers, and I did not want that on my phone, which I am eventually going to hold to me head.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    No matter what phone you get now and in the future, something better will be announced and/or released 6-12 months down the road. That's just the nature of technology...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastridge View Post
    ...But the more and more I used it the Hero would get slower and slower.
    Did you use the app killers? If you switch apps, Android is multitasking for you whether you want to or not..it tends to slow the phone down. Yay for more ram in the Pre+.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I did the same thing (Pre - Hero - Pre), Pre wins for usability. I would dread sending or answering email on the Hero.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    +1. However, being able to press delete then select a bunch of emails is a nice feature on the hero. The google apps like the reality browser Layars are soooo awesome. I hope the Palm community will be able to replicate that and the voice to text functionality available on the Nexus (android 2.1) soon.
    The form factor just couldn't hold me to the Pre. After 6 phones replaced, it was time to move on. HTC makes quality devices and even though it does get laggy at times (I use the task killers in the background which helps) it does what I need it to do while I wait for the next Palm device...
    i am in the same boat.. i have played with the hero in the stores.. i love my pre.. but i am on my 3rd one allready.. in 6 months.. its rediculous.. to have this many issues.. only to have them give me another phone.. with more issies..
    Don't worry in a few more months Palm will be releasing a Pre2! I can guarantee that it will be BEAST!!!!!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Same thing happened with me. I switched to the Hero and now am back to the Pre.

The Pre is a very different phone than it was a few months ago. Battery life has to be at least three times better in my experience and it absolutely flies through tasks thanks to all of the performance optimizations. The phone dialer in particular is a joy to use now compared to before. Then you have tons of little touches that have occurred, like the grouped notifications with numeric indicators for example.

Palm has just done a much, much better job of updating their software than HTC has with the ridiculously outdated Hero (that is running Android 1.5, now three full versions behind).

WebOS is a far better operating system than Android too. Everything is more intuitive, better looking, and seamless. No one does multitasking like Palm. On the Hero it was essentially impossible to refer to a series of emails and create corresponding calendar entries for them, or to be reading details about a concert on a web page while trying to send that information to some friends via text message. Even thinking about how I did those things on the Hero gives me anxiety. I would actually write things down on a piece of paper first just so I wouldn't have to switch back to the original application because it was such a tremendous inconvenience. On the Pre tasks like these are so easy and flawlessly executed, even when you're not using Advanced Gestures. Now that 3D gaming and PDK applications are available the choice is incredibly clear. Palm has better games than Android does now. Can you imagine being able to say that a few months ago? The progress is amazing.

The Hero was a better phone three months ago when it was first released. Not anymore. Kudos to Palm for not standing still and for knowing how to support existing customers. HTC is a total disaster in that area in my opinion. It took them over a month to come out with their first maintenance release, even though there were ludicrous bugs in the firmware (such as mono audio output with headphones and lost text messages--both incoming and outgoing). Now their timeframe for updating the OS on the phone is sometime in the first half of this year? No thanks.

Google isn't much better. You have the Droid, a Google Experience phone, that is still waiting to be updated to 2.1 even though it is perfectly capable of handling it. ***. If Google truly is not competing with their own partners with the Nexus One then why weren't they providing the 2.1 code to Motorola throughout the course of its development so that an update for the Droid could be available on the same day? That would have been a huge win for Google and would have done wonders to convince Android supporters that their beloved operating system isn't becoming a horribly fragmented mess.

Google also isn't really running Android as an open source project anymore. The source code for 2.0 has only been partially released (with no commit history whatsoever) and even though they promised at their Nexus One announcement that 2.1 would be open sourced "within a couple of days" it still hasn't happened. Is every single point release of Android moving forward going to be accompanied by a brand new phone and months and months (and months!) of delay for existing customers who purchased their handsets only a few short weeks before? I'm just turned off by the entire thing at this point. Everything since the introduction of the Hero has been a total botch.

I'll take Palm and their regular OTA improvements over that nonsense any day.

It's good to be back.
    Same here except I just went back to my Hero today.
    Pre>Hero>Pre>Hero

Apps, homescreens, widgets and phone use are preferred (by me) on the Hero. I have yet to mishandle a call on my Hero. This still happens (3x yesterday) on my Pre due to lag.
    I prefer the browser, a couple of the Apps and UI on the Pre.

Right now I am using the Pre with wifi and Hero as my primary phone.

They are very close now. Just different strengths and weaknesses. I have a feeling it may be the same since the Hero will likely get 2.1 around the same time frame webOS gets it's significant update.
    What do you mean by "mishandle a call"? The dialer on the Hero has terrible lag, while the dialer on the Pre has no lag. I had a lot of mishandled calls due to the lack of proximity sensor on the Hero though.
    Hitting the green button to answer and it lags... not answering and having to call back. Not registering the touches. Dialer takes 3-5 secs to open, Hanging up because it appears to not register the touch and you touch it again, hanging it up. Yesterday it lagged out twice while my father-in-law was trying to call me. Trying to call them right back is frustrating because they are usually in my VM and I get a busy or they are leaving a message. It turns into a little game of phone tag that is irritating as all hell sometimes.

I have yet to have a single problem with the dialer on the Hero.

My wife has the same issue with her Pre (it's her biggest complaint).
    It's not my specific phone either. It has happened on every Pre we have owned (we have 3 in the family and have been through 4-5 replacements I believe). And I just doctored my phone to a fresh install on Tuesday.

Others have complained about it on the boards pretty regularly as well. I am sure it happens when it is trying to do something in the background (pull emails, weather, etc.). I have several email accounts, calendars, etc. so perhaps I experience it more than the average Pre browser/phone user.
    Hm. I believe what you're saying but my experience has been the exact opposite.

I can't post links yet, but there are tons of threads out there about the Hero's "ring lag" problem. I frequently had people ask me why it took me so long to answer the phone even though I grabbed it after only a single ring on my side. I missed a lot more calls (and accidentally hung up on a lot more people) on my Hero than I ever have on my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Hm. I believe what you're saying but my experience has been the exact opposite.

I can't post links yet, but there are tons of threads out there about the Hero's "ring lag" problem. I frequently had people ask me why it took me so long to answer the phone even though I grabbed it after only a single ring on my side. I missed a lot more calls (and accidentally hung up on a lot more people) on my Hero than I ever have on my Pre.
    I think what you are describing is inherent to CDMA.

I have had 3 CDMA carriers (Sprint, Verizon and nTelos) that all experience the same thing (with numerous different phones). Phone is ringing on remote end but you only hear 1-2 rings prior to VM. I read somewhere that this is typical of CDMA networks.
    Man you guys are making me miss my pre.. I miss the UI too as far as multitasking but more so notifications.... I have a Iphone now because sprint ****ed me off because they did not want to replace my cracking pre but I do miss it!!! The Iphone just completely stops what your doing when you get a text.. ugh... I cant wait till the apps get better for the pre. because the iphone facebook app etc are the best ive ever seen...... and games are great on this big screen... I will probably be coming back to the pre as well.. Dont know about on sprint though... That was horrible customer service for a known issue.. Hopefully the pre 2 has a massive screen.. That will be nice..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast