Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    Man you guys are making me miss my pre.. I miss the UI too as far as multitasking but more so notifications.... I have a Iphone now because sprint ****ed me off because they did not want to replace my cracking pre but I do miss it!!! The Iphone just completely stops what your doing when you get a text.. ugh... I cant wait till the apps get better for the pre. because the iphone facebook app etc are the best ive ever seen...... and games are great on this big screen... I will probably be coming back to the pre as well.. Dont know about on sprint though... That was horrible customer service for a known issue.. Hopefully the pre 2 has a massive screen.. That will be nice..
    I have been pretty happy with CS. They have issues from time to time but I have yet to have an issue getting a replacement. I have received two from Sprint directly (not insurance claims; from Sprint Tech Support).

    Worst case, you could have dropped it/broken it or w/e and filed an insurance claim. It may have cost a $100 deductible but you would probably make that up in a couple months of not paying for service with AT&T.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I think what you are describing is inherent to CDMA.

    I have had 3 CDMA carriers (Sprint, Verizon and nTelos) that all experience the same thing (with numerous different phones). Phone is ringing on remote end but you only hear 1-2 rings prior to VM. I read somewhere that this is typical of CDMA networks.
    No, it's not inherent to CDMA because it doesn't happen on the Pre. I have never had a call ring once (on my side) and then go straight to voicemail on the Pre. Not once.

    This happened several times a day on the Hero.

    I still can't post links, but if you search for it you'll find many threads that confirm what I am saying. People bring it up as a problem with the Hero because it doesn't happen with other devices.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    Man you guys are making me miss my pre.. I miss the UI too as far as multitasking but more so notifications.... I have a Iphone now because sprint ****ed me off because they did not want to replace my cracking pre but I do miss it!!! The Iphone just completely stops what your doing when you get a text.. ugh... I cant wait till the apps get better for the pre. because the iphone facebook app etc are the best ive ever seen...... and games are great on this big screen... I will probably be coming back to the pre as well.. Dont know about on sprint though... That was horrible customer service for a known issue.. Hopefully the pre 2 has a massive screen.. That will be nice..
    And that right there is why I would rather throw money away then ever give Sprint another dollar. Not to mention my Sprint account both times I was with them kept getting defrauded and kept trying make me pay the bills. CS is just plain ****ty at Sprint and while I think they offer a lot dealing with CS is not worth it.
    Last edited by gladesmellzgood; 01/16/2010 at 03:09 AM. Reason: added some stuff
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    No, it's not inherent to CDMA because it doesn't happen on the Pre. I have never had a call ring once (on my side) and then go straight to voicemail on the Pre. Not once.

    This happened several times a day on the Hero.

    I still can't post links, but if you search for it you'll find many threads that confirm what I am saying. People bring it up as a problem with the Hero because it doesn't happen with other devices.
    It is a CDMA and/or carrier issue. I have even spoken to tech support with regards to it. It happens on our Pre's just as often as any other phone we have owned in the past 5 years (which has been predominately CDMA carriers).
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    It is a CDMA and/or carrier issue. I have even spoken to tech support with regards to it. It happens on our Pre's just as often as any other phone we have owned in the past 5 years (which has been predominately CDMA carriers).
    Again, I had the ringer lag problem all of the time on my Hero. It hasn't happened once on my Pre.

    Nothing you say is going to contradict my direct first-hand experience and the direct first-hand experience of others who have posted about the issue in numerous threads.

    The Hero takes forever to start ringing. The Pre does not. So, again, it's clearly--very clearly--not inherent to CDMA technology.

    Look, I understand that you have chosen the Hero over the Pre. I can't for the life of me understand why , but it's time to stop defending this issue when you are clearly on the wrong side. The Hero takes much longer to start ringing than the Pre, and than other phones on the Sprint network. FYI the Pre and other phones on Sprint are CDMA phones, so it cannot be a CDMA issue. Are we clear?

    Here, I can finally post links:

    Hero by HTC:Ring "lag" as some mentioned
    Ring Lag - SprintUsers.com

    All of these people are first-time CDMA users? No.

    Just let it go, accept that there is a problem, and hope that HTC fixes it sometime in the first half of this year (or whatever their ridiculous guidance for the 2.1 update is now).
    Last edited by Tiddlekins; 01/22/2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Clarified the fact that other people with HTC devices have experienced this before. Perhaps it is an issue with all HTC's?
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Again, I had the ringer lag problem all of the time on my Hero. It hasn't happened once on my Pre.

    Nothing you say is going to contradict my direct first-hand experience and the direct first-hand experience of others who have posted about the issue in numerous threads.

    The Hero takes forever to start ringing. The Pre does not. So, again, it's clearly--very clearly--not inherent to CDMA technology.

    Look, I understand that you have chosen the Hero over the Pre. I can't for the life of me understand why , but it's time to stop defending this issue when you are clearly on the wrong side. The Hero takes much longer to start ringing than the Pre, and than other phones on the Sprint network. FYI the Pre and other phones on Sprint are CDMA phones, so it cannot be a CDMA issue. Are we clear?

    Here, I can finally post links:

    Hero by HTC:Ring "lag" as some mentioned
    Ring Lag - SprintUsers.com

    All of these people are first-time CDMA users? No.

    Just let it go, accept that there is a problem, and hope that HTC fixes it sometime in the first half of this year (or whatever their ridiculous guidance for the 2.1 update is now).
    I'm not discounting your first hand experience. But apparently it is perfectly acceptable for you to discount mine without a second thought? Hypocrite?

    I'm not sure what being a first time CDMA user has to do with it. Although being a first time CDMA user with a phone that uses data at regular intervals may.

    Clearly it has to do with the Hero itself...

    I have 2 Hero's and 3 Pre's in my household and all of them act consistently with regards to this issue. It does not happen regularly on any of them. But it does happen from time to time (with ALL of them).


    PS: I Like both phones and look at them objectively. So much so that I am likely switching back to my Pre. But obviously I am the one with bias...
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 01/27/2010 at 10:06 AM.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Hm. I believe what you're saying but my experience has been the exact opposite.

    I can't post links yet, but there are tons of threads out there about the Hero's "ring lag" problem. I frequently had people ask me why it took me so long to answer the phone even though I grabbed it after only a single ring on my side. I missed a lot more calls (and accidentally hung up on a lot more people) on my Hero than I ever have on my Pre.
    What you briefly described (above) is NOT the same issue generally being described/discussed in the those threads. They (at least most of them) are describing the phone reacting to the call in some manner (LED lights, vibrates, speaker activates, etc) and then a 1-4 sec delay before it even audibly rings or before they can answer the call.

    Here is an example:

    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeam View Post
    "Yeah, I've got the same deal going in here. Light flash... Buzz buzz... Screen on... Ring. Seems to take 2 to 4 secs. Kind of annoying for sure. I have not been able to pinpiont any 1 program that makes it worse."
    This is obviously phone lag. It is very similar to what happens on the Pre as well. In my experience the Pre does this as well and you do not need to have any active apps for it to happen at times (but I'm sure it is happening due to some background processes). The Hero can suffer from the same thing. Especially if you load it up with Apps. The one time I have really experienced any issue with the Hero being consistently unresponsive is when my son loaded his up with a bunch of games/apps. I reset the phone to defaults and the issues immediately cleared up. So more than likely it was a misbehaving app.

    For clarity... what I was referring to (and thought you were describing) was simply having the phone ring on the remote callers end 1-4 times before the phone ever acknowledged the call in any manner. But by all accounts the phone itself seemed to act appropriately.

    For example:
    I call my Pre from work. I hear 2 rings on my work phone before my Pre even begins to ring. I let it ring twice on my Pre and answer. I would have heard 4 rings on my work phone but only 2 on my Pre.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 01/27/2010 at 12:31 PM.
  8. apcmiami's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    #28  
    3 months with the Hero and I also still have the PRE.

    What I miss most: keyboard and the gestures

    otherwise, I never looked back.. Hero feature and functionality destroys Palm.

    Right around the corner is coming the HTC Supersonic Snapdragon ANDROID phone for Sprint.

    PALM needs to keep up! The PRE may be going up on Ebay as early as today.
  9. #29  
    Palm has gotta be thinking larger screen already. It's just a question of when. I hope, at least.

    Anyway...I just switched my Hero line over to a pristine Asurion Pre I was able to acquire for almost nothing. Still love Hero and Android, but I found myself wanting to experience all of these recent and forthcoming OS upgrades in person. Thus far...very nice. But I'd definitely consider the Supersonic when it drops. Hopefully Palm has something comparable then.
  10. #30  
    I have owned a Moto Q (win mobile) & HTC Hero (Android), among others;


    "Hero feature and functionality destroys Palm. "

    You are certainly welcome to your opinion - However, I and others will disagree.

    -features-

    The HTC Sense UI is a dream, if you like to customize. Visual Voicemail, and Google Voice Search - tool cool.

    -functionality-

    Every apps you open on the Hero slows it down - end users have to learn and use task managers and such, great if you are a techy but?

    With the Pre (and especialy the Pre+) I run 5 or 6 apps all at the same speed - complex apps, and games are exactly at the same place I left themn when suspended.

    Voice Search = easy to use.

    Universal Search = Powerful to use.

    With the activation of the voice recorder in 1.4 = Universal Voice Search - Hell Yea!

    the learning curve with webos was a bit longer, but to me became more intuitive the more I used it. ". . .this worked there, I wonder if it will work here - it does!"

    The hero was fun, but I get work done with my Pre+
    Last edited by domonicb; 01/27/2010 at 11:55 AM.
  11. hduty's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by domonicb View Post
    Every apps you open on the Hero slows it down - end users have to learn and use task managers and such, great if you are a techy but?
    What taskmanager? All you need to do is press and hold the home key on any Android device to pop up a list with all the currently running apps.
    If that is too techy for you then perhaps you shouldn't be using smartphones in the first place, or just use an iPhone (same difference).
    Palm Vx (a classic) -> Palm m505 (*yawn*) -> Dell Axim (slooow...!) -> Palm TE (great) -> Qtek 9090 (great idea, lousy platform) -> Nokia 6630 (a toy) -> iMate SP3i (not bad) -> Nokia 9300 (can't sync notes!!) -> Treo 650 (awesome!) -> iPaq hw6915 (almost perfect) -> Nokia E51 (un/impressive) -> HTC Touch Enhanced (nice!) -> Samsung i780 (mousepad woes) -> HTC s740 (very good) -> Nokia E72 (RAM starved) -> HTC HD mini (...) -> Palm Pre 2
  12. #32  
    "All you need to do is press and hold the home key on any Android device to pop up a list with all the currently running apps."

    True - but this does not truly close the app - leaves it running in the background, unless you use a task manger to "really" close the app! - Speaking from experience. . .not just speculation

    "If that is too techy for you then perhaps you shouldn't be using smartphones in the first place, or just use an iPhone (same difference)."

    Close to seven billion people on the planet so I won't debate what people should or shouldn't be doing.

    Tell you the truth I was/sorta am a fan of the Hero - but at the end of the day it should first of all be a good phone - and in that regard I found it lacking.

    No proximity sensor so my cheek would constantly end calls - it is the little things.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by hduty View Post
    What taskmanager? All you need to do is press and hold the home key on any Android device to pop up a list with all the currently running apps.
    If that is too techy for you then perhaps you shouldn't be using smartphones in the first place, or just use an iPhone (same difference).
    let me see you close an app on that little popup from holding home. go ahead, i'll wait
  14. #34  
    Hero (Android) has memory/application management built in so applications that are "open" but not being used and in the background can be moved from active memory to free up resources.
    Generally Apps that do not adhere to this have (or should have) a function to exit/close the app altogether.

    Using Task Killers can actually adversely impact performance (in some cases).

    The Pre is more "intuitive", with regards to managing tasks/applications via cards, but it is not a huge performance issue or design deficiency for the Hero.
  15. #35  
    BTW... nice tags for this thread...

    Tags
    cant make a decision, loser, smartphone churning, smartphone epeen contest
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions