Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Ok what I don't understand is why do we have to pay for most of these apps? Iphone and and Android have most of their apps for free. Our apps are not even close to as good as theirs to begin with. When are we getting real apps and are they all going to be pay apps?
    Let the Flames begin! lol
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

palm need the money. lol
    Its not that bad.

Like it has been mentioned when there is more competition in the palm app catalog the prices will come down.

On a side note yall would have felt really bad in the older palm days as most apps were priced between 10-20 dollars and even up to 35 dollars. There were the odd 3-5 dollar apps, but those were rare.

There were a buttload of free apps though.
    Because most of iphone's apps are junk
    Eh, the last time I saw the good iPhone apps cost money. The price for some of the apps on the Pre is ridiculous, though, but I guess even if they couldn't be bothered to cater to their old base with regards to PIM, they do remember that they didn't mind paying exorbitant prices for the littlest things. Ha! I'll keep my money.
    I've wondered this too. But I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want people getting mad at me and telling me I'm "flaming" or "trolling".
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Because most of iphone's apps are junk
    and WebOS's aren't? We have the most lame apps ever.
    It's a brand new market. iPhone apps started out more expensive, too. External price pressure and competition drove them down.

The same may happen here eventually, but I refrain from using the word "hopefully". Developers wanna get a fair wage for their efforts, too.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    iPhone apps are cheaper because there's over 100,000 of them with millions & millions of users. Some developers will put out stuff for free just to gain popularity (as in the future it can only benefit them). WebOS has about 1,000 apps and not even half of the users. Do the math.
    Quote Originally Posted by xvipx View Post
    Ok what I don't understand is why do we have to pay for most of these apps? Iphone and and Android have most of their apps for free. Our apps are not even close to as good as theirs to begin with. When are we getting real apps and are they all going to be pay apps?
    So, you'll be going into work tomorrow (assuming you do work) and telling your boss that you're now working for free? Because I don't understand why all these people like you demand payment for your work. And if you're too young to work (which perhaps explains your attitude), then go ahead and plan to work for free for the rest of your life.

I swear, I just do NOT understand this attitude.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I've wondered this too. But I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want people getting mad at me and telling me I'm "flaming" or "trolling".
    the PalmCast recently discussed how basically the user base is so small at the moment and the SDK is so new that nobody is making any money from selling their apps through the app store yet. but when the user base grows and when thousands of $1.00 apps come out, things will seem more balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    My CITY!!! lol.
    btw koolkid, I totally recognize that cityscape in your signature. I used to live in W-S. went to film school there UNCSA.
    iPhone and Android apps are all programmed by kids and they get an allowance from their parents. The good Pre apps will be out on 2/29/2010. Palm has been deliberately holding them up so folks would have something to discuss.
    Thats because a lot more people develop for those platforms and now that Palm has opened the SDK you'll get cheaper apps. The more developers we have the better.
    Almost every app loaded on my iPhone was NOT free. You get what you pay for. Developers have to eat too.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    So, you'll be going into work tomorrow (assuming you do work) and telling your boss that you're now working for free? Because I don't understand why all these people like you demand payment for your work. And if you're too young to work (which perhaps explains your attitude), then go ahead and plan to work for free for the rest of your life.

I swear, I just do NOT understand this attitude.
    I agree completely. I'm a developer and I need to support myself and my family. That won't happen if I'm writing free apps.

Nothing is stopping a person to write their own apps. Palm provides all the tools for free (including a Palm emulator for testing), and you have the resources of the Internet to learn HTML, Javascript, CSS, and WebOS. So if you want free apps, go for it.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    I agree completely. I'm a developer and I need to support myself and my family. That won't happen if I'm writing free apps.

Nothing is stopping a person to write their own apps. Palm provides all the tools for free (including a Palm emulator for testing), and you have the resources of the Internet to learn HTML, Javascript, CSS, and WebOS. So if you want free apps, go for it.
    Amen.

To those who keep whining about iPhone having more (free) apps... then either buy an iPhone or start writing the apps you want. And make sure you share your work with everyone else for free, because we don't want to pay for them like the iPhone users (supposedly).
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Let the Flames begin! lol
    +1 I can't believe this is even a thread, much less having so many seemingly serious responses. Hilarious.

btw, great patches there. Nice work.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    The other way of looking at it is that the iPhone has many more "pay for" apps than WebOS. I'm glad I don't have to worry about all those apps on my Palm Pre:-)
    1. How cheap can you be?
    2. Do you work for free?
    3. I do nto have an Iphone, but ALL of my friends who do, tell me that the vats majority of Iphoen FREE apps are worth eaxctly what they paid for them NOTHING!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast