Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You're talking about really useful apps. Now back to the random numbers generator app. How long did it take to develop? A few days max - if he's a beginner. How useful is it? Not much.
    I can find thousands of free random numbers generator online. Why pay for something that doesn't add any value?

My point is, this kind of app should really just be a way to learn how to use the SDK. Give it away for free then when you start coding a "real" app, you can charge for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProCision View Post
    Er' Matey i'll be taken NFS for free if i could......
    What is a dollar towards the developer and the awesome company who made the phone? If you really want the phone to be better and reach it's untapped potential then you must understand this. You paying a few dollars to go to the developer and Palm to say "Thanks for you hard work and contribution to make my dream phone!" isn't allot to ask for. If you were a developer and made an app, which at minimum takes about a month to plan and make, would you be singing another tune? Be grateful that there are such awesome people out there that would give you their work for free!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    yup

these kids dont know how good they got it.

good games on palm os were 20 plus

There's a reason I only ever bought one game from Astraware (Sudoku) - their pricing (IMO) sucked. If they'd dropped Bejeweled 2 down to $10 or less, I would have bought again.

And if they ever port Sudoku to WebOS, as long as the price doesn't suck (>$15), I'll buy again.

Heck, I'd be lined up to pay Linkesoft another $30 for a WebOS port of Secret! if krid hadn't put out such a fine product in Keyring...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr3yGhOsT View Post
    I carry a Blackberry Bold as well as the Pre, and there are hardly any free apps for the Blackberry. And most are 2.99 or more...

With the apps on PreCentral and the app catalog, I have only had to pay for a couple apps like MyTether, PocketMirror, NFS, and a couple .99 cent ones. Most of the ones I use daily are free, like Pandora, Where, Netflix, Sprint Navigation, etc. I am content with the current selection given the short time the platform has been out. Some apps are really priced too high, and eventually someone will publish a competing app cheaper...the market and competition will eventually bring prices in line.
    There are plenty of free apps for the Bold. In fact, I have only paid for two, a tethering app and the BB version of an app I had on PalmOS (eWallet). Free apps include Facebook, Twitter, Pandora, a Tivo Scheduler, Bloomberg, various IM apps including BB Messenger, Urban Spoon and lots of weather apps.

Unlike PalmOS, The Bold comes with a lot of apps from RIM that are good enough not to need replacing (PIM apps, Filemanager,). With PalmOS, I had to buy an email client, I bought enhanced PIM software, power management software and even software to give PalmOS a USB drive mode. None of that is needed for the Bold. From what I have seen, the out of the box app experiance with WebOS is worse than PalmOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    iPhone and Android apps are all programmed by kids and they get an allowance from their parents. The good Pre apps will be out on 2/29/2010. Palm has been deliberately holding them up so folks would have something to discuss.
    Um... there is no 29th day in February this year... do you mean March 1st or is your date just wishful thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by electroplid View Post
    Um... there is no 29th day in February this year... do you mean March 1st or is your date just wishful thinking?
    maybe it was sarcasm..... maybe not. Anywhoo i want to see what March has in store for us
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Go to http://sar.casm.com for your answer.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Did you buy into this part of my post as well? iPhone and Android apps are all programmed by kids and they get an allowance from their parents. Did you notice the rolling eyes emoticon?
    Good one hparsons
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Did you buy into this part of my post as well? iPhone and Android apps are all programmed by kids and they get an allowance from their parents. Did you notice the rolling eyes emoticon?
    I don't think iPhone and Android apps are all programmed by kids. I mean, seriously, there are over 120,000 apps for those two combined--there can't be enough kids with those kinds of programming skills to write all those apps, can there? I know there are a few, but not 10's of thousands.

I think you're wrong here. At least a few of them must be over 18. And without pics or video, I call hoax.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    To the OP:

Why don't you go into work tomorrow and tell your boss you'll work for free?
    I say the developers take a page out of Obama's book where you create new taxes for everything and call them fees instead.

Instead of "cost" they could use "puppy". People like puppies.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I don't think iPhone and Android apps are all programmed by kids. I mean, seriously, there are over 120,000 apps for those two combined--there can't be enough kids with those kinds of programming skills to write all those apps, can there? I know there are a few, but not 10's of thousands.

I think you're wrong here. At least a few of them must be over 18. And without pics or video, I call hoax.
    Dude. Ever heard of the word S-A-R-C-A-S-M?
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

Now I'm ticked.

I downloaded pics of all of the programmers of the iPhone apps to prove they were kids (there were some 20-somethings, and even a few 30-somethings, but they all lived in their mother's basements and got an allowance, so they still qualified).

Anyway, I had pics of them all, and I zipped it into a file to upload it, and it was too big to upload.

Precentral let me down, or I would have proven it. Now you'll have to take my word.

BTW, have you seen the Need for Speed demo? That was fake, this is real.
    Hey nothing wrong with kids writing apps. In fact, it teaches them good business skills..
    Probably because we pay less for our plan.. (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Probably because we pay less for our plan.. (Sprint)
    Sprint has nothing to do with them.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Apps are human rights just like health care. Let's ask Obama, Pelosi and Reed to give this to us too.
    Too funny.....but they won't do it unless it cost billions and mortgages the future of the county...
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Hey nothing wrong with kids writing apps. In fact, it teaches them good business skills..
    If they're giving them away, it just might teach them "business skills" the hard way...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast