Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xvipx View Post
    Ok what I don't understand is why do we have to pay for most of these apps? Iphone and and Android have most of their apps for free. Our apps are not even close to as good as theirs to begin with. When are we getting real apps and are they all going to be pay apps?
    If you don't like it, go with an iPhone or an Android phone if you'd like. This is Palm not Apple or Google. They can make their own rules, it's their App Catalog.
    Calm down folks. Palm pre apps are not so great currently, and you can find a lot better on android marketplace for free.

Not everything has to cost money. That's his point. Of course, nobody's asking for NFS for free for example. But a random number generator?
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    I don't really care for the cost of apps either but one thing I can say is that I wouldn't complain too much. There are people that will pay for it and that's good food for developers and forward movement of webos and its growth. Think about it. If I took my time to write an app and I came here to find complaints after complaints.. it would definitely hinder my interest in developing for such an audience.

Let it be. Like others have said.. it will eventually get so crowded that one or two things will happen. 1 - The prices will drop because of competition or.. 2 - Rebel developers will start to compete with the "greedy" ones because going against the grain is what they do.

Give it time.
    I say for the current quality of apps (not including the 3D ones), prices are way too high. Sure there's the odd good one (like paratrooper or that rolling ball maze thing) but most of the other stuff is not worth it.

Once these developers stop releasing crap apps then current prices are worth it IMO.
    I just checked.
    x-plane 9, 9.99 at iTMS, 9.99 on app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaLostOrange View Post
    I say for the current quality of apps (not including the 3D ones), prices are way too high. Sure there's the odd good one (like paratrooper or that rolling ball maze thing) but most of the other stuff is not worth it.

Once these developers stop releasing crap apps then current prices are worth it IMO.
    Well, maybe you are really into 3D games, thats fine, but dont categorically throw away all other non-3D game ones.

the most stuff in app catalog is priced between $1-5. I say thats not a bad price range at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaLostOrange View Post

Market will take care of it. If it's priced too high, they won't sell. Dev has to lower it or quit making apps that won't sell.
    Geez, some of these people would just faint at seeing the Prices of apps in the PalmOS/WinMob days. o.O!
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Geez, some of these people would just faint at seeing the Prices of apps in the PalmOS/WinMob days. o.O!
    Thats what always comes to my mind as well. These kids dont know how good they have it.

I remember paying $29.95 for Datebk3 and $39 for GolfTrac 1.0. The average price back then was $25 for a lame board game. Heck I think BrainForrest was $49 when it came out.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    yup

these kids dont know how good they got it.

good games on palm os were 20 plus
    supply and demand. For instance... Pre has 4 or 5 apps for twitter. Iphone has 10000000 of them. That means Iphone twitter apps will generally be cheaper or free. Give it some time and there will be more cheaper and/or Free Pre apps
    Also, the vast majority of the free apps on the iPhone store are crap. there are the gems, of course, but you get what you pay for, and all of the good apps are paid apps.
    On my iPod Touch, I have some free apps that are just amazing, so whoever says that all the free apps are crap isn't great at searching or just doesn't know what to search for. The free version of Assistant by PageOnce keeps track of all my credit cards, bank accounts, and utilities in one handy place, so I can keep up with how much money I have and owe without looking at 5 different websites. Then of course, there's eBay, Amazon, Skype, a couple of pretty fun games, WebMD, Kindle (which in the end is not free, because impulse book purchases add UP!), etc. Of my 94 apps, I paid for 4 of them. And only one was because I couldn't find a decent free version (grocery list). I'm no iFan, I just love the productivity some of these apps give me and see no reason to say all the free apps suck. A lot do, unless farting noises and simulated Zippo flames are your thing.

I actually don't even have my Pre yet, but I do look forward to a robust app catalog as the development progresses. Until then, I'll fill in the gaps with my iPod touch and wi-fi via Mi-Fi.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Geez and back then the only people who used smart phones/pda where people who used them for business or tech savvy people. And business user would pay the premium for those apps that improved upon or added functions that were lacking. Also I remember those pda/phones costing 2-3 times more than current smart phones.

Joe the plumber is not gonna buy apps for 10$-25$ show him a list of 1-5$ apps and they will grab them up like candy. And guess who is driving the smart phone market now Joe the plumber type consumers not Bill the business tyc00n. Really tyc00n is blocked lmfao...
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    When you look at iphone and android it is true there are a lot of great free applications, but remember those are also ad supported and the amount of money they make on them is probably based on the amount of people that use it. At the moment WebOs is not as big yet so free ad supported applications won't make enough money for the developer(we want them to make $ because if they do then they'll pump out more great applications we love). Competition also drives down prices so give it time and when the catalogue gets more full the prices will drop. Or just don't buy the application at the price it's at. If nobody buys it that sends a message that the price is too high and will also lower the price. Right now the more expensive applications, like the new 3D games, are a bit pricey but they can do that because read/look around....people are buying them. Why would they lower the price on something that is selling?
    I carry a Blackberry Bold as well as the Pre, and there are hardly any free apps for the Blackberry. And most are 2.99 or more...

With the apps on PreCentral and the app catalog, I have only had to pay for a couple apps like MyTether, PocketMirror, NFS, and a couple .99 cent ones. Most of the ones I use daily are free, like Pandora, Where, Netflix, Sprint Navigation, etc. I am content with the current selection given the short time the platform has been out. Some apps are really priced too high, and eventually someone will publish a competing app cheaper...the market and competition will eventually bring prices in line.
    An outline app showed up in the App Catalog yesterday for $23.50. I'll pay it if it is a good quality program (and it looks like it is).

Personally, I dislike threads like this because the folks that write quality apps may well be put off by what they perceive as a "give it to me free" attitude.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Alright, going to try not to flame here.

There's a few reasons for this...

First, I think you're highly exaggeratin by saying that most of the Iphone's apps are free. That's just not true. However they do have more free apps then the Pre...but then, they have more apps in general than the Pre.

Second, many of the iPhone "free" apps fall into one of two categories. I'll talk about the second category below, but the first is "Company" programs. This is thing like Pizza Huts ordering app, redfin's real estate finding app, suntrusts banking app, etc. These are apps created by various companies and given away for free because they will make back the investment they put into making the app through the increased business it gets them. Palm does not have the foot hold in the market yet to lurch its way into the realm of the iPhone/Android/Blackberry's. However it already has started to gain a bit of traction here (See DirectTV, Engadget) and I imagine with WebOS launching on AT&T and Verizon here within the year you'll start seeing programs stating "available for iPhone, Android, and WebOS" far more often.

Third, one of the difference is beta's and "lite" versions. This is something, personally, I think more Pre developers truly need to be doing. However, this is generally why you see so many iPhone apps for "free". Many are limited or handicapped versions of a full application, put there simply in hopes that you end up buying the full version.

Fourth, as was stated, its the market. There weren't a lot of apps at first, and amongst those apps there's not as much cross over as there is in iPhone or even Android. As such, you kind of corner the market and can get more money out of it. Basic capitalism. Additionally since you have a smaller base than those other ecosystems you hae to charge more than you would on them to make up for the decreased base. This also is part of why you're not seeing as many "lite" or "beta" versions pop up into the official catalog yet...why give it away, even limited, for free if there's no one else/few out there that offers the same product? However when you suddenly get 10 products all doing essentially the same thing the need to lure people to YOUR product by allowing them to try it and like it gets greater.

Give it some time and you'll start seeing more lite versions, more business sponsored applications, and prices as a whole going down.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Apps are human rights just like health care. Let's ask Obama, Pelosi and Reed to give this to us too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethiathome View Post
    Calm down folks. Palm pre apps are not so great currently, and you can find a lot better on android marketplace for free.

Not everything has to cost money. That's his point. Of course, nobody's asking for NFS for free for example. But a random number generator?
    Er' Matey i'll be taken NFS for free if i could......
    Last edited by ProCision; 01/14/2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethiathome View Post
    Why? You make this claim like it's common sense or obvious... Apps take time, effort, and expertise to create. What does it mean, exactly, to say "Not everything has to cost money"?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast