Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i was just wondering if we are going to get gpu in 1.4 so my pre can run smoother or do we already have it?
    You mean so that the GPU will be utilized to run the UI?

Doubt it.

At least we have 3d games! I just wish they could do something about the memory leaks, I literally have to restart my Pre every time I want to play one of those games.
    so u sayin the 3D games utilize the GPU ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    so u sayin the 3D games utilize the GPU ?
    Of course it does. There is no way NFS and Asphalt 5 and that Golf game would run without them. Check out Palms Presentation from CES, they talk about it there in length and demo the games, if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.precentral.net/palm-ces-2...entation-video

Also, just go to Pre Centrals home page and read through all the news there, that should answer every question you might have.
    The Pre already uses the GPU, as evidence by those games.

The Pre likely won't ever use the GPU for just using regular apps, GPU's don't usually run web code.
    one can dream cant they?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    The Pre will be using the GUI with the 1.4 update.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    You mean so that the GPU will be utilized to run the UI?

Doubt it.

At least we have 3d games! I just wish they could do something about the memory leaks, I literally have to restart my Pre every time I want to play one of those games.
    Palm has already said something about hardware accelerating CSS transforms.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Where?
    NY Giants fan?

Check out my Facebook Group! - Big Blue (NY Giants) which just passed 11,000 members
    and newly formed Fan Page
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Palm has already said something about hardware accelerating CSS transforms.
    true, I remember reading it one of the articles, I think they stated this at the CES.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slp15 View Post
    Source?
    That would be like having Christmas 3 times in 1 year. I am hopefull, but have a problem wraping my head around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post

lol

You know whats funny.....when the new games give me a memory error Doom and Quake run just fine. Those guys/gals over there are doing one hell of a job at webos internals. Maybe Palm should pick some of them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    lol

You know whats funny.....when the new games give me a memory error Doom and Quake run just fine. Those guys/gals over there are doing one hell of a job at webos internals. Maybe Palm should pick some of them up.
    no, lie, I need to figure out how to speed up my app and the problems I have, they have solved on another. Need to tear it apart and figure out what "mojo" they are using :wink
    Quote Originally Posted by knickrox13 View Post
    Where?
    Quote Originally Posted by agusta View Post
    true, I remember reading it one of the articles, I think they stated this at the CES.
    I don't remember specifically where, but it was a while ago. They may have said it again at CES, but I remember it from months ago.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    no, lie, I need to figure out how to speed up my app and the problems I have, they have solved on another. Need to tear it apart and figure out what "mojo" they are using :wink
    So I guess some run time debugging tools might be a good "app" to build as a plugin then! (strace for mojo)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  17.    #17  
    how can they prevent memeroy leaks? With a update or something?
    The article: Ajaxian WebOS Developer Event – Roundup

But I don't understand why people think hardware-accelerated CSS transforms are going to speed up by a huge amount apps loading times.

The problem isn't there. Think about it: how long does it take to launch NFS or any other native app? Almost instant (well, on youtube videos at least). The GPU kicks in to render graphics, not to help load the game.

The problem isn't with the GPU. The GPU can help scroll faster, render webpages, etc... but it can't speed up launch time. The real problem is how slow JSJSJS $is$. $And$ $that$'$s$ $something$ $the$ $GPU$ $can$'$t$ $fix$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethiathome View Post
    The article: Ajaxian WebOS Developer Event Roundup

But I don't understand why people think hardware-accelerated CSS transforms are going to speed up by a huge amount apps loading times.

The problem isn't there. Think about it: how long does it take to launch NFS or any other native app? Almost instant (well, on youtube videos at least). The GPU kicks in to render graphics, not to help load the game.

The problem isn't with the GPU. The GPU can help scroll faster, render webpages, etc... but it can't speed up launch time. The real problem is how slow JSJSJS $is$. $And$ $that$'$s$ $something$ $the$ $GPU$ $can$'$t$ $fix$.
    Exactly. Which is why we need a better JSJSJS $interpreter$, $so$ $that$ $all$ $the$ $JS$ $can$ $be$ $converted$ $to$ $machine$ $code$ $at$ $a$ $much$ $faster$ $pace$. $Granted$, $I$ $think$ $Palm$ $has$ $implemented$ $a$ $faster$ $one$, $but$ $faster$ $is$ $always$ $better$!
    The pre has been using the "GUI" since launch. ;-)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast