Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    It's using the GUI now...right? I mean I thought that's what Luna was I thought? o.O :-S
    GUI = Graphic User Interface
    The Pre is using its GUI now or else you'd have to use a command line to use the phone.
    GPU lol
    NY Giants fan?

Check out my Facebook Group! - Big Blue (NY Giants) which just passed 11,000 members
    and newly formed Fan Page
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Mc View Post
    GUI = Graphic User Interface
    The Pre is using its GUI now or else you'd have to use a command line to use the phone.
    Exactly, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by knickrox13 View Post
    GPU lol
    I took too much medication again wheeeee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethiathome View Post
    Do you REALLY think opening a new card and zooming in is such graphically intensive that offloading it to the GPU is gonna make the app load instantly? Come on.
    Possibly. (well, not instantly, but quicker)
    In my app, it was taking forever to sort a list of 350+ items. I thought it had to do with the sort method, but couldn’t find a faster solution. I then made an option where each row of the list can be one line of text, two lines of text with a graphic or 3 lines of text with 2 graphics. Here were my results…. (BTW all of this with a render limit of 999 so all 350 items get rendered to speed up scrolling)

3 lines of text with 2 graphics: 12-13 seconds to sort/render (What I started with that was way too slow)

2 Lines of text with 1 graphic: about 5 seconds to sort/render

1 line of text (no graphic): about 2 seconds to sort/render

Obviously it’s not the sorting that is slowing things down, it’s the rendering.
    One other thing that effects speed is that the higher the render limit the more details on each row, the slower menus expand. This should also be improved with GPU rendering.
    Also, it seems to me that the immediate screen that pops up on a new card is rendered before it displays it (with a list, off screen rows are still being rendered after loading), so if rendering is sped up, it might seem to “decrease” load times. Actual loading times will remain the same but the screen will be rendered faster and pop up sooner.
    Last edited by sinime; 02/15/2010 at 02:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethiathome View Post
    Do you REALLY think opening a new card and zooming in is such graphically intensive that offloading it to the GPU is gonna make the app load instantly? Come on.
    That's not a valid argument: nobody is saying (nor should they) that offloading the GUI to the GPU will make apps load "instantly." That's nonsensical and irrelevant. The issue with webOS's performance isn't primarily app loading time, which isn't terribly much longer than with other smartphone OS's unless memory limits are being reached. And, that can't be entirely fixed with a multitasking OS--the reason the iPhone is so much faster in opening apps is because opening one (non-Apple) app means closing another. That new app gets almost 100% of the CPU's attention and naturally will respond more quiclkly.

It's also entirely beside the point--the beauty of webOS is how easy it is to multitask, meaning you open an app and keep it open. If you think of a normal day, which involves, say, constantly accessing the calendar, weather app, tasks, phone, Web browser, Twitter client, etc., etc., it doesn't take long before the second (or two or three) savings with an OS like the iPhone's becomes a loss. The same is true to a lesser extent with Android, which multitasks but not as efficiently and also doesn't open apps that much more quickly than webOS.

No, where enabling the GPU for the GUI will make the most difference is in the overall responsiveness of webOS. Scrolling, app switching and state updates, the Launcher, etc., will all be smoother and the OS will simply _feel_ faster. This will make the entire experience that much better, to the point where even if it takes a second more to open the calendar app, folks aren't going to care nearly as much. They'll just keep open the apps they use most often, and without the current lagginess the GUI will be as smooth and instantaneous as the iPhone's.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123