Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1. indyjoe's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #21  
    my guess is that as they said at CES we will have speed improvements. I think those improvements will be from rendering the GUI via the GPU.
  2. #22  
    Wouldn't using the GPU more munch up more battery?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    Wouldn't using the GPU more munch up more battery?
    No, it should use less overall. Using the GPU to handle more of the visual elements would save the CPU having to do it. The GPU is more efficient at handling the visual elements so thing should happen quicker and smoother (using less CPU) and thus save battery.
  4. #24  
    What he said. Speed AND battery improvements, both of which were promised for 1.4, which means it's most likely we'll get GPU enhancements in the GUI.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    What he said. Speed AND battery improvements, both of which were promised for 1.4, which means it's most likely we'll get GPU enhancements in the GUI.
    I definitely WANT to believe this. I dream of a Pre that can scroll a simple list without lag and choppiness. But this makes me wonder:

    The Palm webOS Plug-in Development Kit - Palm Developer Center

    The boldfaced below makes me think they are still waiting for WebGL and the like to be finalized, or at least closer to finalization before using the GPU for web code, which I think means the Pre GUI as well.

    The PDK offers access to some capabilities — like accelerated OpenGL-powered 3D graphics — that are not currently exposed to applications built entirely with web technologies.

    However, we are hard at work delivering similar capabilities to all webOS applications. While we are not yet ready to announce our specific SDK plans in this area, we are closely tracking the rapid evolution of browser capabilities based on emerging standards, such as WebGL, CSS Transforms, and O3D for 3D graphics, and we are enormously excited about their potential to revolutionize the web.

    You can expect us to aggressively implement the best of these and other similar forward-looking web standards, proposed web standards, and other extensions designed to expose native device capabilities to webOS applications.
  6. slp15's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    Source?
    I was on Engadget Jan. 7 after the announcement of features. They had a post, that has since been pulled, stating from Jon Rubinstein that the 1.4 update will enable the gpu on the Pre. I have been searching like crazy to refind it but can't.
  7. #27  
    "Enabling the GPU on Pre" is a very ambiguous statement. The GPU is already enabled on the Pre for games.

    When you ask about the GPU being enabled, you really need to specify what you want it enabled for.
  8. UF15's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by slp15 View Post
    I was on Engadget Jan. 7 after the announcement of features. They had a post, that has since been pulled, stating from Jon Rubinstein that the 1.4 update will enable the gpu on the Pre. I have been searching like crazy to refind it but can't.
    I am going to call BS or say that you misread it. There has been no mention of what you described.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethiathome View Post
    The article: Ajaxian » WebOS Developer Event – Roundup

    But I don't understand why people think hardware-accelerated CSS transforms are going to speed up by a huge amount apps loading times.
    It won't. CSS Transforms are basically animations done with CSS.

    "the path to the GPU didn't exist" in webOS, something that will be solved in the "immediate future" using CSS transforms to modify visual elements thus freeing-up CPU cycles for other tasks.
    http://mobile.engadget.com/2009/11/0...ediate-future/
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by slp15 View Post
    I was on Engadget Jan. 7 after the announcement of features. They had a post, that has since been pulled, stating from Jon Rubinstein that the 1.4 update will enable the gpu on the Pre. I have been searching like crazy to refind it but can't.
    If you are talking about a user who replies to articles with the name Jon Rubinstein; it's a fake account. It's not really him.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    It won't. CSS Transforms are basically animations done with CSS.



    Palm: webOS speed fix in the 'immediate future' -- Engadget Mobile
    thanks for sharing.
  12.    #32  
    its does exist becuz how the hell are we playing 3d games ???

    "On ease of use, multitasking has been great; UI latency is still an issue even though the hardware is comparable to 3GS. The problem is the path to the GPU didn’t exist, but now with CSS transforms, that will be solved in the immediate future."

    this was in November its January now or the "immediate future" so they must have solved in by now and are giving gpu to us next month so everything will be smoother like the iphone in terms of scrolling and maybe overall lag... :]
  13. bonfilio's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    Exactly. Which is why we need a better JSJSJS $interpreter$, $so$ $that$ $all$ $the$ $JS$ $can$ $be$ $converted$ $to$ $machine$ $code$ $at$ $a$ $much$ $faster$ $pace$. $Granted$, $I$ $think$ $Palm$ $has$ $implemented$ $a$ $faster$ $one$, $but$ $faster$ $is$ $always$ $better$!
    Having all screen drawing offloaded from the main CPU will speed things up if for no other reason that those previously used GUI cycles will now be used for logic.

    In essence you will have 2 CPUs doing 2 seperate things rather than 1 CPU doing 2 tasks at the same time - as is the case now.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    its does exist becuz how the hell are we playing 3d games ???

    "On ease of use, multitasking has been great; UI latency is still an issue even though the hardware is comparable to 3GS. The problem is the path to the GPU didn’t exist, but now with CSS transforms, that will be solved in the immediate future."

    this was in November its January now or the "immediate future" so they must have solved in by now and are giving gpu to us next month so everything will be smoother like the iphone in terms of scrolling and maybe overall lag... :]
    That's what I am hoping for. They did promise more speed and better battery life for 1.4....

    We will have flash support, video recording/editing, 3d games, and a faster UI....wow....we're in heaven...once those memory leaks are history too so clicking on an icon belonging to a 3d game isn't always a crap shoot....will I have to restart my phone to play this game????.....grrr...yeah, I do..
  15. #35  
    GUI since launch, GPU since CES. GPU helps render graphics for NFS. Better JSJSJS $to$ $make$ $it$ $better$...$o$.$k$. $I$ $think$ $I$ $got$ $it$. $This$ $tread$ $gave$ $me$ $a$ $headache$. $I$ $think$ $i$'$ll$ $go$ $play$ $some$ $topple$ $ball$ $or$ $something$.;-)
  16. CUH
    CUH is offline
    CUH's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #36  
    You should go play NFS instead
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post
    Having all screen drawing offloaded from the main CPU will speed things up if for no other reason that those previously used GUI cycles will now be used for logic.

    In essence you will have 2 CPUs doing 2 seperate things rather than 1 CPU doing 2 tasks at the same time - as is the case now.
    Do you REALLY think opening a new card and zooming in is such graphically intensive that offloading it to the GPU is gonna make the app load instantly? Come on.
  18. #38  
    When is 1.4 coming?
    I am so exicted
  19. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    i was just wondering if we are going to get gpu in 1.4 so my pre can run smoother or do we already have it?
    1.3.5 got the gpu running. maybe there is more optimization to be done but the gpu is definitely working.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by slp15 View Post
    The Pre will be using the GUI with the 1.4 update.
    It's using the GUI now...right? I mean I thought that's what Luna was I thought? o.O :-S
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions