Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    i like themes, i used Rudolph and Pink Grunge Stamp and really liked the way they looked. when i uninstalled them, they came off clean with no issues.

then i tried a purple one (cant remember its real name), didn't like it and uninstalled it, but it left remnants of the part i didn't like (in messaging). i tried EVERYTHING i could think of to fix it and ended up doctoring my phone just now

so now, i am nervous about themes
    Same here! I really like themes but my bad experience with them forced me to doctor and i no longer want to go through that
    No theme, I use a picture of my dog as a wallpaper, and I guess you just just make a 'black' picture and use that as a colored background or whatever color.

Just if you haven't noticed, my avatar on Precentral is the picture I use on my Pre!

His name is 'Dylan'!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

I use the iPhone-Black-Launcher Theme.

The iPhone Black Launcher theme seamlessly blends your display with your phone. The display now looks sharp and crisp. Many Palm icons are replaced with professional-looking iPhone icons.

- Craig
    No offence, but if decided to "theme", the last thing that I would want is to mistaken for an iphone user.
    I have one, but I'm pretty selective about themes. Glasklart on the Pre...my favorite theme on the iphone, ported over and it looks great.

For a change of pace, though, I just installed Stickers which is very complete and looks nice...except for the terrible screenlock clock.
    First let me say that I trust the majority of the theme builders here, now that being said.. security not meaning the typical hacker but.....w/ themes there is no monitor, Anybody can create a theme w/ a patch that can and does interfere w/ the functions of the phone.
    With Patches there are at least some safety precautions, Ie. the submission process through PreWare where dbsooner checks individual patches to make sure they dont have some sort of code that will bork your Pre.

W/ autopatch if the patch interferes w/ another it will simply error! w/ a theme that has a patch it will force the install then not be able to be removed via PreWare or WOSQI or EPR.
    Autopatch also makes a backup of your original files before it installs and replaces the original when removed! There are no such safe gaurds for themes. (that I'm aware of)
    I feel the only safe way to Theme your Pre is to 1) create your own 2)download from prethemer as a .zip and inspect the content 3) only Install a theme from a well known Themer 4) This one is the most Important never install a Theme w/ a patch.

These are just my opinion and are probably wrong, I have had problems installing patches generally on Pres that were Themed or were themed previously and removed (not completely because the patch merged w/ some other patch.)
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    no themes here.

i don't "trust" them.
    I've been using one of the Tron Legacy themes for the most part and have been quite happy with it. It's been very steady and I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. I've been able to uninstall it and reinstall it numerous times whenever there has been a WebOS update and my phone has continued to run smoothly.

I go with it because it is very dark with "neon" type outlines which makes it very easy for my light sensitive eyes to look at.

For the longest time I had avoided using themes because I had read endless stories of people with all sorts of issues, but that was before people could use Preware to install and uninstall themes. Once that was made possible I decided to jump in with both feet and have been happy with how my Pre looks ever since!
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    No themes here for me also, stock theme is just fine. I do change my wallpaper like 3x a day haha. Patches is a diff story
    Wow. I have lots of patches and try out themes regularly. I have never had a problem with either.
  9.    #49  
    I have had a few touch and go problems with themes but I usually only use the popular ones. I still think I'm going stock from now on.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Agreed, no themes for me either, one less thing to remove for updates.
    Also try the Black Launcher. It keeps the Palm icons but with a black background to match the phone.

Neither include any patches or wallpapers, just the background images for the Quick Launch and the Launcher. This avoids incompatibility with patches and let's you chose which patches you want to use.

You might want to try the Launcher Auto-Popup. Now when you turn on your phone, it goes to the Launcher and is ready to do something. If you ever do want to stare at the pretty flower, just hit the Launcher button.

The 4x4 v3 Launcher patch also works beautifully but you can chose any patches you like or none at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/13/2010 at 11:08 PM.
    I have lots of patches installed, but never wanted to use a full theme. I use Switcharoo for changing up the wallpapers, and use the 'scrim' patches for changing up the backgrounds of email, messaging, and contacts. With those, everything looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by BenRagunton View Post
    I've been using one of the Tron Legacy themes for the most part and have been quite happy with it. It's been very steady and I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. I've been able to uninstall it and reinstall it numerous times whenever there has been a WebOS update and my phone has continued to run smoothly.

I go with it because it is very dark with "neon" type outlines which makes it very easy for my light sensitive eyes to look at.

For the longest time I had avoided using themes because I had read endless stories of people with all sorts of issues, but that was before people could use Preware to install and uninstall themes. Once that was made possible I decided to jump in with both feet and have been happy with how my Pre looks ever since!
    im by no means saying theyre all problematic, but i dont want to be the test mule.

there are just too many people doing too much digging into the OS for me to want to bother with them.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Never tried a theme, I'm happy with the various wallpapers that I have. Besides, after reading a few threads, themes appear to be more trouble than their worth.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Also try the Black Launcher. It keeps the Palm icons but with a black background to match the phone.

Neither include any patches or wallpapers, just the background images for the Quick Launch and the Launcher. This avoids incompatibility with patches and let's you chose which patches you want to use.

You might want to try the Launcher Auto-Popup. Now when you turn on your phone, it goes to the Launcher and is ready to do something. If you ever do want to stare at the pretty flower, just hit the Launcher button.

The 4x4 v3 Launcher patch also works beautifully but you can chose any patches you like or none at all.
    i heart this theme...i haven't used a lot of themes...but im keeping this one for a while..it's very clean and different...
    No real themes for me either. I use Switcharoo (the beta version that pulls files locally) that changes the background every 1/2 hour. I've also downloaded the phone backgrounds because I hate the green phone (actually, I dislike the general green color-scheme on the Pre). I have a script that will let me (reasonably) quickly change the phone background, to one of the downloaded sets, or put it back to original. That's about the extent of my "theming".
    No themes. Just having a custom wallpaper is enough for me. We don't see much of the app icons anyway. If I had an iphone then ya I would since they are always up front and in your face.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    i like to borrow most of the stuff form the blue tux (latest) theme as far as the icons, dialer screen... pretty much everything but the boot screen. i updated that one to a linux penguin. i think one of the coolest parts about the pre is being able to change the way it looks, not only the desktop, but the icons and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    no themes for me, just wallpaper changes. The themes are nice, but I prefer the stock look.
    . . . and that's damn nice wallpaper on your avatar.
    I tried a few when the themes first started appearing, but I also found them to be more trouble than they're worth, and I've also turned off the theme feed in PreWare. (Though I gotta say, that simple black launcher theme looks pretty cool.)

I run 4x4 v3, no icon labels, no quick launch bar, and it looks great.

And I'll put in a semi-off-topic pitch here for my new favorite patch: named pages in launcher is fantastic!
    Last edited by grappler; 01/14/2010 at 08:40 AM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast