Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

I didn't notice this being announced at CES... I assumed it was the same processor with more internal RAM (512 meg) that was in the Pre Plus... but the Palm Rep here in the video clearly indicates that there is a new, faster "High performance" processer in the Pre Plus.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 01/13/2010 at 06:21 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

I didn't notice this being announced at CES... I assumed it was the same processor with more internal RAM (512 meg) that was in the Pre Plus... but the Palm Rep here in the video clearly indicates that there is a new, faster processer in the Pre Plus.
    Supposedly TI OMAP processor they're using in the Pre has the 256MB of RAM soldered so they would have to get a modified processor or a newer faster one. Don't take what I say for gold this is all speculation.
    It's possible, I suppose, but I wouldn't understand why Palm wouldn't promote this if true.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It's possible, I suppose, but I wouldn't understand why Palm wouldn't promote this if true.
    Seriously I don't understand either, but who knows what the folks at Palm are thinking.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    They should of improved battery life, these other upgrades will just drain the already poor battery even faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    They should of improved battery life, these other upgrades will just drain the already poor battery even faster!
    +1 but a faster processor along with some more OS optimization can only help when actually using the device. And also as a Pre user you can switch your battery something me as an iPhone user have no option to do.
    It'd be nice if they would activate all the fancy voltage regulation/clock speed/power management stuff the current pre processor has.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    +1 but a faster processor along with some more OS optimization can only help when actually using the device. And also as a Pre user you can switch your battery something me as an iPhone user have no option to do.
    I bought an extended battery that's physically the same size. My iPhone never had battery issues, it lasted at least one day with 3D gaming, surfing, and multitasking. You could always get a case with a built in battery or just an external battery.
  9.    #9  
    Two people in the video confirmed it.. very interesting.

The Qualcomm processor in the Sprint Pre is a 600 mhz, and the RAM is 256.

JR indicated clearly at CES that they were doubling internal RAM, so that's 512 meg.

I don't remember him ever saying a word about an upgrade to the CPU, but, the videos and those 3D games really were snappy.. I mean.. truly, they were incredibly responsive for any handheld device.

Im going to go out on a limb here and speculate that Verizon wants to announce the phone as being faster themselves on lauch date, Jan 25, along with thier pricing and sales information.

That Nexus 1 Snapdragon 1 Ghz processor was quite impressive, too; I wonder how the Pre Plus will fare against it in a speed benchmark test now?
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I was also told by a demo-er that it had an upgraded CPU. I later confirmed with Palm that this was NOT the case.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Yeah, some "demo-er" was saying it was slightly faster but wouldn't give any exact numbers. I think the battery is the only thing in dire need of a major upgrade. All those features are useless without decent battery life, and replacing the battery is a hassle because that back cover is a b!+%h to get off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I was also told by a demo-er that it had an upgraded CPU. I later confirmed with Palm that this was NOT the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Yeah, some "demo-er" was saying it was slightly faster but wouldn't give any exact numbers. I think the battery is the only thing in dire need of a major upgrade. All those features are useless without decent battery life, and replacing the battery is a hassle because that back cover is a b!+%h to get off.
    Lol on the back cover I don't have one yet so I wouldn't know, and its good to get the info from Dieter that they're isn't a faster processor. I am wondering though I read somewhere that the RAM came with that specific chip to get new RAM would mean new chip. Or was that all speculation?

To Dieter will you be posting a Palm Pre Plus review, I read somewhere that you would be switching to Verizon. If so do you think they'll send you a device early like they did with the original Pre
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Due to low chip yields the Sprint Pre is actually running at 500Mhz (thus the WebOS internals patch a while back that would overclock it to 600), chances are good that the newer chips are able to run stable at 600Mhz in addition to having the extra RAM.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    honestly...don't believe reps or demo people. I had one tell me not 2 weeks before CES, that the Pre was not coming to Verizon.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    The Nexus one at 1Ghz is awesome and would be awesome on the pre plus. I dont think it would happen though. they should do something because the lag right now on a pre is substantial.
    I think that yoshk's speculation is reasonable (even if just speculation). I'll be disappointed if the Verizon Pre does not come through with a stable fix here.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Due to low chip yields the Sprint Pre is actually running at 500Mhz (thus the WebOS internals patch a while back that would overclock it to 600), chances are good that the newer chips are able to run stable at 600Mhz in addition to having the extra RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I think that yoshk's speculation is reasonable (even if just speculation). I'll be disappointed if the Verizon Pre does not come through with a stable fix here.
    3D games set the clock to 600mhz on the Sprint Pre. Obviously if it isn't stable at 600mhz they wouldn't have done that. Probably @500 for battery life
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    The Qualcomm processor in the Sprint Pre is a 600 mhz, and the RAM is 256.
    The Pre CPU is a TI OMAP3, not a Qualcomm. That being said, I really wouldn't be surprised if the Pre Plus has a slightly refreshed (probably die shrunk) version of the OMAP3.
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    Supposedly TI OMAP processor they're using in the Pre has the 256MB of RAM soldered so they would have to get a modified processor or a newer faster one. Don't take what I say for gold this is all speculation.
    I had said that before, but someone pointed out that the ifixit teardown clearly shows the RAM as a separate chip. In other earlier revisions of the OMAP3, it was directly on the chip (or so I read at OpenPandora), but apparently not in the Pre's version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I wonder if TI had sorted out their fab issues with earlier OMAP3's and the Pre Plus now runs at 600Mhz. This could be some of the reason for the Pre Plus' slightly better performance as reported be some of the bloggers from CES (Dieter, Engadget). Also, I though I heard that 1.4 improves battery life...maybe SmartReflex enabled as well? I guess we'll find out when webOS-internals and others tear apart 1.4 when released.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast