1.    #1  
    Yes people, this is a rant - after trying 4 different firmwares I'm getting really sick of my Pre second guessing my spelling and grammar.

First, spelling:

If I want to write the word 'practice' (which is a noun), the Pre autocorrects it to 'practise' (which is a verb).

If I want to write the word 'program' (which is an application), the Pre autocorrects it to 'programme' (which is on the TV).

If I want to write the word 'jail' (which is the modern term), the Pre autocorrects it to 'gaol' (which hasn't been used since 1920).

Now on to Grammar:

If I write 'im' the Pre doesn't bother to correct it to 'I'm'

If I write 'youre' the Pre doesn't bother to correct it to 'You're'

If I write 'american' the Pre doesn't bother to correct it to 'American'

This is really basic English. Sort it out please Palm.
    It sounds like your Pre is not localized to US English (Sounds like it's using UK English). Where did you get your Pre and is this behavior only in specific apps or throughout every app on your Pre?

What version of webOS are you running? What carrier/operator? GSM or CDMA?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  3.    #3  
    My region/locale is UK rather than US - and it's system wide rather than being restricted to any particular app or field.

I realise I could fix the 'gaol' and 'programme' examples by switching to US English, but that would cause a whole host of other problems such as 'realize' rather than 'realise' and 'theater' rather than 'theatre' and 'color' instead of 'colour' etc.
    Well, then it sounds like the Pre is doing exactly what it was designed to do for UK English. I realize that there are a lot of modern terms (especially as relates to technology) that are spelled differently than the Queen's English, but that is not the fault of the Pre.

My suggestion is when the Pre makes a correction, pay attention as you type, and as soon as the Pre makes the correction, simply hit the backspace key. That will undo the correction and revert it back to what you originally typed.

Even in US English, I occasionally have to make such corrections when the Pre doesn't understand the context in which I'm writing. For me it happens a lot with "it's" (contraction of "it is") versus "its" (possessive of "it"). The Pre defaults to assuming that I'm always using a contraction. If I need to write something like "He put the tool in its place", the Pre will try to make it "He put the tool in it's place". As soon as I finish typing "its", the Pre will incorrectly change it to "it's". I then hit the backspace key and the Pre undoes the "correction".

That's all I can suggest.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  5.    #5  
    They might as program it to use 'thy' and 'thine' then if they want to use terms like 'gaol'.

Forcing grammatically incorrect edits such as 'practise' and (as you pointed out) 'it's' is the fault of the Pre's developers and it's just something that needs to be changed. I use my phone for business and I can't afford to have my emails sabotaged with fake spelling, missing punctuation and phantom apostrophes.

The situation could be solved by allowing us to edit the built in dictionary (like the BlackBerry OS allows out of the box) or simply by hiring a guy who knows what he's talking about.
    use the 3000 autoreplace words patch instead
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I used the Sprint firmware for a while, now back on the UK firmware and I now miss the auto corrections of id into I'd and theyll into they'll. I have now purchased Auto Correct Edit to do these for me and any other auto corrections I need.

Link
  8.    #8  
    For the record I solved this by editing the WebOS auto-correct dictionary found in /etc/palm/autoreplace - all credit goes to member knobbysideup for giving me the heads up.