Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Why does it eat up battery life? Is is constantly checking for new messages/updating the buddylist.

Does this still happen if the Messaging app is closed?

Why didn't Palm just include an AIM push client that logs you in a remote server, kinda like Beejive on the iPhone/iPod.
    I know this was an issue at one point but with the newer OS versions is this still a huge battery drain? Not sure myself as I don't stay logged in.
    Im having the same problem since 1.3.5+. I just posted asking about it also;

http://forums.precentral.net/general...onnecting.html
    of course AIM would eat battery life, it's a constant data connection that looks for new info all the time.

And the only reason the "remote server" thing exists on the iPhone is because apple refuses to allow background processes. It's a workaround to a problem, it is not a good solution.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    of course AIM would eat battery life, it's a constant data connection that looks for new info all the time.

And the only reason the "remote server" thing exists on the iPhone is because apple refuses to allow background processes. It's a workaround to a problem, it is not a good solution.
    Having Push messaging on AIM is a great solution, nothing runs in the background (unless the app is open) and you stay logged in without eating battery life. I don't see any drawbacks to it at all.

My battery just dropped 19% in 45 minutes and I was signed into AIM for about 20 minutes. I've only been texting, and I tweeted twice.
    This was a major problem for me when I had the Pre and I am keeping and eye on the situation as I would like to purchase the Pre Plus on Verizon here in the near future.

I did want to point out that there several instant messaging services available for the Blackberry platform inluding AIM and Gtalk and neither of them cause noticeable battery drain. I actually was never able to test the effects of logging out of IM services on the Pre because I didn't realize it was most likely my biggest battery killer until I had already returned the phone.

OP, I too hope that Beejive releases their app for WebOS because it is a terrific program and would be a great tool to be able to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Having Push messaging on AIM is a great solution, nothing runs in the background (unless the app is open) and you stay logged in without eating battery life. I don't see any drawbacks to it at all.

My battery just dropped 19% in 45 minutes and I was signed into AIM for about 20 minutes. I've only been texting, and I tweeted twice.
    The biggest drawback is an extra point of failure in the system. I really want a good IM app for the Pre as well, as outside of the US very few people use AIM, and I really need Windows Live Messenger support, but I don't like the push notification system the iPhone/iPod Touch uses. I had an iPod Touch for a couple years, and it was a system that really just felt like a workaround to an apple created problem, not a long term solution.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    The biggest drawback is an extra point of failure in the system. I really want a good IM app for the Pre as well, as outside of the US very few people use AIM, and I really need Windows Live Messenger support, but I don't like the push notification system the iPhone/iPod Touch uses. I had an iPod Touch for a couple years, and it was a system that really just felt like a workaround to an apple created problem, not a long term solution.
    Beejive never failed me, you've obviously never used it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Beejive never failed me, you've obviously never used it.
    Bought it day 1 for my iPod Touch. I was as excited as everyone to at least some kind of solution for background apps. It worked for me, most of the time. Every so often I'd get nothing, then all of the sudden 15 IM's would pop up at once, while actively using the web browser or other app.