Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    How do you remove patches that don't remove through Preware and QI?

    Patches that I had on my pre when the OS was updated I got back by using the emergency patch recovery but they show up as having updates but I can 't remove them.

    They don't show up on the QI either.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    How do you remove patches that don't remove through Preware and QI?

    Patches that I had on my pre when the OS was updated I got back by using the emergency patch recovery but they show up as having updates but I can 't remove them.

    They don't show up on the QI either.
    There have been at least a dozen threads on this problem in the last day or so that I've responded to. Please people, time to do a little searching before you restart these "Patch Problem" threads.

    First, before you do anything to your phone like installing updates, doctoring, etc, you MUST uninstall any patches or themes you have on your phone. Otherwise, until webosinternals finds the solution and updates preware, you will ALWAYS have this problem. We need to do a little bit of research into our phone before we try to modify them.

    Here is the solution to this problem. Please pass it along to others so we don't continuously see this same topic over and over:
    Open upQuickInstall and go to device management. You will find the patches under 'Applications'. Check every patch you have and choose remove. You will get error messages as they uninstall. Don't worry, just click 'OK'. When this is done, reboot your phone. You should then be free to reinstall your patches.

    Just some advice, I only use Quickinstall to tweak my dialer and my boot screen, as well as installing package manager and preware. Everything else that can be done by both Quickinstall and Preware I install through Preware. That includes themes, apps, and the majority of the available patches. Quickinstall and preware sometimes don't agree on what is installed and what is not, so that's how I keep everything separate. Good luck!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  3. #3  
    I have done this several times and still cannot get my patches removed. When I look under patches and applications in WebOSQI, I see nothing. However, when the phone reboots a couple of my patches are still there (date and time, battery percent and image, email landscape). My Ashalt5 won't even start, and I only get one chance a day to connect with WebOSQI. Each subsequent time I get the "can't locate device" error. Other than that the phone is working great after 1.3.5 - faster and better battery life.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    There have been at least a dozen threads on this problem in the last day or so that I've responded to. Please people, time to do a little searching before you restart these "Patch Problem" threads.

    First, before you do anything to your phone like installing updates, doctoring, etc, you MUST uninstall any patches or themes you have on your phone. Otherwise, until webosinternals finds the solution and updates preware, you will ALWAYS have this problem. We need to do a little bit of research into our phone before we try to modify them.

    Here is the solution to this problem. Please pass it along to others so we don't continuously see this same topic over and over:
    Open upQuickInstall and go to device management. You will find the patches under 'Applications'. Check every patch you have and choose remove. You will get error messages as they uninstall. Don't worry, just click 'OK'. When this is done, reboot your phone. You should then be free to reinstall your patches.

    Just some advice, I only use Quickinstall to tweak my dialer and my boot screen, as well as installing package manager and preware. Everything else that can be done by both Quickinstall and Preware I install through Preware. That includes themes, apps, and the majority of the available patches. Quickinstall and preware sometimes don't agree on what is installed and what is not, so that's how I keep everything separate. Good luck!
    One major problem with that. None of my patches show up in quickinstall.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    One major problem with that. None of my patches show up in quickinstall.
    Re-read the instructions again. For some reason, QuickInstall recognizes the patches as "Applications." This is probably why the two never seem to agree on which patches have been installed. The only patches that are listed under "patches" are the ones you install through QuickInstall. Another reason why I install all patches and themes through Preware. So I know what I have on my phone. Go back and look under "Applications instead of "Patches" and they should be there. Then follow the rest of the directions and you should be good to go.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  6. #6  
    I'm saying that I did remove from both patches and applications on WebOSQI, but they are still there after reboot. I can't get rid of them through Preware or on both the apps/patches section of WebOSQI. What else can I try?
  7. #7  
    The "bad" patches should show up in "Device management" in WebOSQI, check all of them an press uninstall, you will get an error for every single one of them, but after that they will be gone and can be reinstalled.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    I'm saying that I did remove from both patches and applications on WebOSQI, but they are still there after reboot. I can't get rid of them through Preware or on both the apps/patches section of WebOSQI. What else can I try?
    After you did all of this, did you attempt to simply reinstall with Preware? If you still get the error messages, I would suggest following my directions again from the beginning, making sure you do everything exactly as it says. (It's not too complicated, so I'm sure you've got it down =) If that doesn't work, try it again. If it still doesn't work, doctor your phone again, and then try the instructions again. If that doesn't work, try again. =) I'm sure it won't take you that long, but practice makes perfect, and occasionally it takes doing something more than once to get the results you need. Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll let you know if there's another way to handle the problem.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Re-read the instructions again. For some reason, QuickInstall recognizes the patches as "Applications." This is probably why the two never seem to agree on which patches have been installed. The only patches that are listed under "patches" are the ones you install through QuickInstall. Another reason why I install all patches and themes through Preware. So I know what I have on my phone. Go back and look under "Applications instead of "Patches" and they should be there. Then follow the rest of the directions and you should be good to go.
    That is where I am saying they are not showing up. They don't show up under Applications nor do they show up under Patches. They don't show up at all.

    By the way, Preware is the only place I installed the patches.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    That is where I am saying they are not showing up. They don't show up under Applications nor do they show up under Patches. They don't show up at all.

    By the way, Preware is the only place I installed the patches.
    Ok. It sounds like it worked then. Did you try reinstalling a patch from Preware yet? Give it a try, and if it works, great! If not, I would suggest trying to doctor it again. Then following the directions again. Then trying to reinstall patches again. If all of this doesn't work, I will find another way for you to do it, but it will be much more involved and difficult.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    I'm saying that I did remove from both patches and applications on WebOSQI, but they are still there after reboot. I can't get rid of them through Preware or on both the apps/patches section of WebOSQI. What else can I try?
    so it sounds like what your saying is that the patches have been removed according to WOSQI and Preware, but there "actions" still exist. I've heard of this happening on occasion. the repair utility should fix that, but it hasn't been updated to 1.3.5.1 yet (that i know of). the other possibility is to Web doctor, but that's pretty drastic IMHO. you have to really want the action removed bad. I would just wait till 1.4 comes out next month and doctor just before installing.
  12. #12  
    ...hold the Boat! Jason just today updated Web OS repair utility. that will solve your problem!

    http://filebin.ca/eovqe/WebOSRepairUtility.jar
  13. #13  
    Thanks Max! I will try it tonight. By the way, I went to the last resort last night and tried to doctor my phone. At first I just got the disappearing WebOSQI, but then I finally got the doctor page to display. However, both times I tried it, it came back with the message that it would not work and I should contact palm support. Since I have been unsuccessful in removing the patches I did not want to talk to Palm yet. Hopefully the repair will work.

    Morrison, thanks also to you. I have followed your instructions exactly (over 5 times) without any success, but I appreciate your effort to help me.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    Thanks Max! I will try it tonight. By the way, I went to the last resort last night and tried to doctor my phone. At first I just got the disappearing WebOSQI, but then I finally got the doctor page to display. However, both times I tried it, it came back with the message that it would not work and I should contact palm support. Since I have been unsuccessful in removing the patches I did not want to talk to Palm yet. Hopefully the repair will work.

    Morrison, thanks also to you. I have followed your instructions exactly (over 5 times) without any success, but I appreciate your effort to help me.
    No problem Casey. Those directions do work if you update without uninstalling patches, but it sound like your situation is a bit different. Just to follow up, were you saying that your patches were removed, but the effects remained? Like removing the Add/Delete patch but still having the additional pages? This will happen if you update or doctor without removing the patch and restarting beforehand.
    Also, after working on your phone, did you attempt to reinstall any of the patches? I'd like to get a bit more info from you so I can help others in the future who might run into this problem. And let me know how everything works out for you. Thanks!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html

Posting Permissions