Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted this in another thread defending the speed of the pre against the iphone, but I thought I'd make it into its own thread to see the responses I could get.

I agree with some of the posts that the iphone and the Droid are faster than the pre. I've seen my pre matched up with a droid and an iphone here in the office, and the speed in opening apps favors them both, as do the speed of their calendars. However, the browser speeds were very similar, and in some cases favored the pre, which, I think, can be attributed somewhat to my Sprint network (which I believe is the best out there, just my opinion so take it as it is).

One thing that does get neglected in a lot of these comparisons is the pre's ability to multitask. If you look at any of the comparison videos or listen to people's experiences, they're always comparing the head to head opening of apps. The beautiful thing about the pre is that it can not only launch multiple apps at a time, but can also keep those apps active and you can switch back and forth between them quickly and seemlessly. The fact that I can keep 3 applications open and active means that once they are open, I don't have to restart them to access them again. With the iphone I have to open the app, and then close it in order to open another app. And so on. The advantage that it has over the pre for opening apps is completely lost if you have to wait for each app to load again after closing it. The droid is the same, except to a bit lesser extent because of the multitasking abilities there, which are still much less elegant and user friendly than the pre.

Here's one test. Measure the amount of time it takes to open your phone app, a music app, the browser, the camera, and your calendar. The pre can do all of these at the same time. The iphone needs to open and close each app individually. Not really sure how the pre would handle this, but I'd still put my money on the pre.

Here is another real world example. I am using the navigator to direct me to a local pub to hang with friends when the phone rings. I answer the phone and a friend asks me to confirm that I got the email he sent an hour ago and let me know if he included the information in it (whatever that might be =). I open up the email and find what he sent me and can confirm that it's all there. While I'm doing this I get a notification that my girlfriend just sent me a text. I decide to deal with that later because I'm busy at the moment. Then I hang up and decided to stream Pandora through my car speakers via bluetooth. Then I put my phone back on the car charger (for my pre, it's a touchstone charger attached to my dash, which is perfect for the navigation app), and away I go to my destination.

Now, this is how quickly and easily this would go on my pre: When the phone rings I answer it, leaving the nav app running in the background. Then, without hanging up on my buddy, I open my email app. I get the text notification and swipe it away. After that I can swipe away my phone and email apps, all the while keeping nav running. Then, I open up Pandora and start it up. Then I swipe back to bring nav to the main screen, set the phone on the Touchstone, and I'm done. No need to close one app to open another.

Please, tell me how the iphone or the droid would handle this situation, and THEN tell me that using the either of them is easier and faster than using the pre.

******EDIT******
    I still have yet to hear from an Android user or an iphone user how they would perform the tasks in the example I gave. I told you step by step exactly how I would handle it easily and quickly with the pre. Step...by...step. That's what I'm looking for. Step.......by.......step. If you can't do that, it's either because the process is too long to write down (iphone), or it is a bit clunkier and difficult to perform (android). I don't use either phone day to day, otherwise I would be more than happy to write down the process for each platform. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you choose to look at it that way), I can only speak for the pre and webOS, so I'm waiting for you others to fill me in. And once you write the entire process down and compare them side by side, then I dare you to tell me that your phone can handle things as quickly or a smoothly as the pre. That is all I want to hear, not your claims about how your phone is better or how your platform does things that webOS doesn't. I know that the pre and webOS isn't #1 in every category. Just trying to prove that in situations like this, the pre's multitasking capabilities are just flat better than the competition.

***I'll understand if you choose not to respond to this. Reality has a way of causing writer's block.***
    Last edited by morrison0880; 01/13/2010 at 04:55 PM.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    You could even be streaming Pandora while using SprintNav before the phone rings and the Pre handles it all just perfectly! Yes, the Pre is a HOT phone!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I just have one question... why are you operating your phone while driving?
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    Cause it's not illegal where he lives probably?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    Because it's so easy and fast, and I can do everything with one hand!

Yeah, it's not the smartest thing to do, and I really wouldn't condone it. Just an example, but I'd be a liar if I didn't say I've had times where I've done something similar while driving.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Because it's so easy and fast, and I can do everything with one hand!

Yeah, it's not the smartest thing to do, and I really wouldn't condone it. Just an example, but I'd be a liar if I didn't say I've had times where I've done something similar while driving.
    At least its to the pub and not from it. Would be 2 negatives on driving back from the pub while using your phone.
    I was almost side-swiped the other day by a lady with her dog sitting on her lap. In the past, I've seen people eating, shaving, putting on makeup, reading the newspaper, talking animatedly (and distractedly) to the person sitting next to them, shuffling through a briefcase, talking on a CB radio, checking their teeth in the vanity mirror, adjusting their rearview mirror for an excessive mount of time, rocking the stereo so loudly that they couldn't hear an ambulance trying to get past them, etc., etc., etc.

Using a cellphone is no more nor less dangerous than any of those time honored traditions.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I was almost side-swiped the other day by a lady with her dog sitting on her lap. In the past, I've seen people eating, shaving, putting on makeup, reading the newspaper, talking animatedly (and distractedly) to the person sitting next to them, shuffling through a briefcase, talking on a CB radio, checking their teeth in the vanity mirror, adjusting their rearview mirror for an excessive mount of time, rocking the stereo so loudly that they couldn't hear an ambulance trying to get past them, etc., etc., etc.

Using a cellphone is no more nor less dangerous than any of those time honored traditions.
    Good points on using your phone while driving. But I seriously would like to hear back from either pre users or iphone/droid users on this question. I think it really gets to the heart of what makes the pre a phenomenal phone, and why it not only holds it's own against the other guys, but exceeds them in so many ways.

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I'm glad you posted this. This scenario and countless others are actual things that people do. Maybe not every single day, this exactly....but things that require the webOS multitasking I use EVERY SINGLE DAY.

If you read on the iPhoney forums, everyone says the same thing. "I don't need multitasking. Ya, it would be nice to stream Pandora while using my phone, but I dont really do it that often." They all seem to think streaming Pandora is the only thing multitasking allows.

My guess is, thats just what they want to believe. In reality, webOS is a more enjoyable experience. They better hope to get multitasking on the 4th gen, or its another year of paying more to have less.They'll prbably get something similar to what android uses as multitasking, because I think the way webOS is written, its something that needs to be thought of at the beginning. We'll see.

Once they find out how great multitasking is, they'll probably start complaining about not having it. I'm surprised there isnt more marketing showing what it can do. Actually, I'm surprised a lot of webOS features are unknown after being out for so long. If someone uses it, they will love it.
    lol all I kept thinking while reading your discription of opening and switching between programs, was how dizzing it would be on the other phones lol.
    when ever I wipe out my phone near and apple or android user, they are quick to insult, yet unaware of their own probs such as price, network, lockdown by maker, no multi, ext.

I love the pre and am eagerly awaiting Palm has for us.
    by the time a multi tasking iphone comes out, hopefully the Pre 2 will be out and again showing apple how it should be done.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I'm glad you posted this. This scenario and countless others are actual things that people do. Maybe not every single day, this exactly....but things that require the webOS multitasking I use EVERY SINGLE DAY.

If you read on the iPhoney forums, everyone says the same thing. "I don't need multitasking. Ya, it would be nice to stream Pandora while using my phone, but I dont really do it that often." They all seem to think streaming Pandora is the only thing multitasking allows.

My guess is, thats just what they want to believe. In reality, webOS is a more sophisticated experience. They better hope to get multitasking on the 4th gen, or its another year of paying more to have less.

Once they find out how great multitasking is, they'll probably start complaining about not having it. I'm surprised there isnt more marketing showing what it can do. Actually, I'm surprised a lot of webOS features are unknown after being out for so long. If someone uses it, they will love it.
    I agree 100%. I and many others have stated this before, but what is holding back Palm and webOS is the lack of a strong advertising campaign. Let's face it. A lot of Apple's popularity comes from their advertising, which in my opinion is second to none. And Android is everywhere because, well, the advertising is everywhere. If you ask 10 people what they think about the 3 platforms, I'm sure everyone will know about the iphone, the majority will have heard of Android, but maybe 2 or 3 will have heard of webOS, even though they probably know about Palm. If Palm wants to take off, they really need to bring webOS, its elegant multitasking abilities and its beautiful, user friendly UI, to the public consciousness through slick advertising and hype like the iphone, or an in-your-face blitz, ala Droid. Really given the informed choice, I can't see why many people wouldn't immediately choose to go with the pre/pixi/pre plus/pre 2...

Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Good points on using your phone while driving. But I seriously would like to hear back from either pre users or iphone/droid users on this question. I think it really gets to the heart of what makes the pre a phenomenal phone, and why it not only holds it's own against the other guys, but exceeds them in so many ways.
    I already answered this in the original thread as a current Android user.

Any Android phone could do everything in your scenario, except instead of swiping, you'd just hold the home button for 2 seconds and then tap the app that you want to go to.

Is it "easier" or "faster"? Not at all. But it is roughly just as easy and fast, especially when dealing 4-6 programs.

Android is NOT "everywhere" because it is advertised everywhere. Android is everywhere because Google laid down the proper foundation for developers before the first device launched instead of just starting to come around seven months later. Android is everywhere because it is free and available for multiple handset makers. Android is everywhere because it is amply available in multiple form factors across every carrier and every spectrum.

These are areas in which Palm can and should catch up. When they do, their sales should spike accordingly. Because they have not, sales (as of December's earnings figures) have been lackluster. It's that simple.

Ad blitzes will not change this, though having just ONE effective ad might. Still waiting for Palm to unleash one that actually highlights WebOS.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Android is NOT "everywhere" because it is advertised everywhere. Android is everywhere because Google laid down the proper foundation for developers before the first device launched instead of just starting to come around seven months later. Android is everywhere because it is free and available for multiple handset makers. Android is everywhere because it is amply available in multiple form factors across every carrier and every spectrum.
    Yes, the increased market share of Android has nothing to do with the Verizon Wireless media blitz for the Droid that sold an estimated 250,000 units in the first week alone.
    I

Yeah I thought I read somewhere that Palm was not going to continue creating new hardware platforms for WebOS and instead concentrate on the O/S & farm it out to other hardware vendors.. is that still their plan?

I assume the Pre+ and Pixi+ were created because they aren't really "new platforms" but instead updates to existing platforms..

And yep I LIKE the message this thread is making. WebOS truly is outstanding! And gonna be even better if future firmwares incorporate the GPU functionality into the native O/S & not just for the games.
    Quote Originally Posted by sculchy1 View Post
    Yes, the increased market share of Android has nothing to do with the Verizon Wireless media blitz for the Droid that sold an estimated 250,000 units in the first week alone.
    So the 17,000 apps or so for Android came before or after the Droid?

The Droid is one of the five Android handsets AT&T is launching within the next six months?

The Droid is available on more than one carrier in the US?

It's a successful handset, but it is not solely or even primarily responsible for Android's success to date.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    My cowroker snapped a pic of a lady who almost hit her. The lady was holding one phone to her head, texting on another and eating all while driving.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
  18.    #18  
    I already answered this in the original thread as a current Android user.

Any Android phone could do everything in your scenario, except instead of swiping, you'd just hold the home button for 2 seconds and then tap the app that you want to go to.

Is it "easier" or "faster"? Not at all. But it is roughly just as easy and fast, especially when dealing 4-6 programs.

These are areas in which Palm can and should catch up. When they do, their sales should spike accordingly. Because they have not, sales (as of December's earnings figures) have been lackluster. It's that simple.

Ad blitzes will not change this, though having just ONE effective ad might. Still waiting for Palm to unleash one that actually highlights WebOS.
    I agree that having Android available to multiple handset makers helps it succeed, but the advertising for these phones put android in the forefront, highlighting its strengths and creating a powerful meme that has spread throughout the public. Once people are aware of the OS, they look into it deeper and discover more of the advantages it has over other OS's.
    Take the G1. That phone was far from mature, but the inclusion of Android, and the way the G1 advertised itself as the 1st phone running the new OS, is what started the Android coming out party.
    Palm needs to get it's OS out there, and highlight it in a way that consumers not only understand, but showcases how it can streamline their lives. You're right, one effective ad MIGHT do it, but I would like to see an ad campaign, maybe similar to the PC/Mac spots, that really gets webOS and the pre/pixi out there.

And I have to tell you, although it obviously works well for you, "just holding the home button for 2 seconds and then tapping the app that you want to go to" sounds nowhere near as easy or as quick as the pre's abilities. Just sayin...

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

The Droid is one of the five Android handsets AT&T is launching within the next six months?

It's a successful handset, but it is not solely or even primarily responsible for Android's success to date.
    I was only trying to point out that advertising has been quite successful for the Android platform based on that one handset.

Is the iphone available on more than one carrier in the US? The Droid was Verizon's answer to the iphone (in case you haven't seen the commercials) and I'm betting more than a few consumers purchased a Droid based on that alone.
    Last edited by sculchy1; 01/13/2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
  20.    #20  

It is absolutely not the sole reason why Android has been successful. But you can't discount the huge impact that the Droid has had on the public perception of the Android OS. Hell, it's called the Droid! You see handset makers pushing the fact that their phones run android, and then a monster phone comes along and shoves it out there for all to see. Android may have been successful before, but it is poised for a takeover with a gigantic boost from Droid. And that all comes down to advertising.
    Not trying to diminish the Android platform at all. Just showing the effect advertising has on a product, and has had in the growing success of Android. My original statement was that webOS can multitask better than any other OS out there, and with the pre (and to a lesser extent, the pixi), Palm has the perfect form factor to utilize it. They just need to display their product to the public, and a successful advertising campaign is the best way to do that. Here's to hoping that Palm and Verizon come up with one.

BTW, I do like your defense of Android. It shows how great products produce equally loyal users. I just differ in that I'm a webOS user with a little Android experience, and I think webOS comes out on top.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast