Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    The thing that bugs me about Android is that it reminds me of WM. It's the kind of OS that's very powerful and gives you lots of options, but you have to put a UI over the top of it to make it user friendly.
    That's been my impression as well. Another unfortunate similarity with WM, which I think will hurt Android in the near- and long-term, is that the Android market is completely fragmented as it was with WM. With so many different manufacturers making Android devices and the growing number of Android versions, it will be difficult to know if/when your particular Android device will get the latest and greatest Android version.

I don't like Android from my limited use of it, but even if I did I'd still very glad to be using a platform where the hardware and software is made by one company. And I'm glad that's Palm, because unlike Apple Palm is embracing the same sorts of customizations and open app development/distribution that is perhaps WM's greatest strength.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Yep, I'm pretty sure after the second device I'd be looking at something else. Probably be a Pixi tho...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm amazed that people here keep trying past Pre three or four.
    I think it's a combination of times when the phone is replaced it's still 95% functional (sticky power button, oreo twist, wonky keyboard) and a replacement can be had the next day usually with no questions asked. Log into the profile and you don't miss a beat.

If people had to fill out paperwork, wait a week, drive an hour to a store, or didn't have the cloud service people would shy away after one or two replacements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I think it's a combination of times when the phone is replaced it's still 95% functional (sticky power button, oreo twist, wonky keyboard) and a replacement can be had the next day usually with no questions asked. Log into the profile and you don't miss a beat.

If people had to fill out paperwork, wait a week, drive an hour to a store, or didn't have the cloud service people would shy away after one or two replacements.
    It isn't like that, or it wasn't for me and the few other locals I know who exchanged a Pre. Although I missed the "Oops, we lost your data" misfortune that befell people around these parts, I remember when I got the second Pre, it took Sprint almost two days to get me properly provisioned for data so I just had an overpowered candybar phone for all of that time. And when I went back, it wasn't "Here's my Pre that wasn't working right. Thanks for the new one. Hey..that took five minutes!"

Even having a nice Sprint Store manager on my side, I had to wait until he got through with current customers (no less than 20 minutes), have his tech look over the defective Pre, (another 10), then wait until the new one loaded my data and profile. Couple that with 15 minutes each way to the store, and you see why the device was costing me time and money.

And that's IF the guy I got to know was working that day. If not, I was SOL or had to start paying deductibles and jump on the refurb train. No thanks.

Way too much luck required to be a happy customer with the current Sprint Pre.
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It isn't like that, or it wasn't for me and the few other locals I know who exchanged a Pre. Although I missed the "Oops, we lost your data" misfortune that befell people around these parts, I remember when I got the second Pre, it took Sprint almost two days to get me properly provisioned for data so I just had an overpowered candybar phone for all of that time. And when I went back, it wasn't "Here's my Pre that wasn't working right. Thanks for the new one. Hey..that took five minutes!"

Even having a nice Sprint Store manager on my side, I had to wait until he got through with current customers (no less than 20 minutes), have his tech look over the defective Pre, (another 10), then wait until the new one loaded my data and profile. Couple that with 15 minutes each way to the store, and you see why the device was costing me time and money.

And that's IF the guy I got to know was working that day. If not, I was SOL or had to start paying deductibles and jump on the refurb train. No thanks.

Way too much luck required to be a happy customer with the current Sprint Pre.
    While hardware problems have put some tarnish on the pre's reputation, I hardly think a 30-45 minute trip to the Sprint store is worth harping on. Sound like your experience took a max of 1.5-2 hrs. In my opinion, that's really pretty minimal and nothing to cry about.
    I am on my 3rd pre, and have gotten one that is acceptable to me. Have had it since the end of July and, althought there is some oreo, I've come to accept it, and it doesn't bother me anymore. I'm sure it will be fixed with the next hardware update that comes out around June (fingers crossed for the pre2!). My experience with getting a new phone when like this:
    Had a problem with my original after 5 weeks. Past the Sprint return time, so I called Palm. They gave me 2 options. Take it in to get fixed, or get an express exchange for $25, where they send me a new phone and I send back the old with the enclosed Fed Ex label. I chose the 2nd option, but returned the replacement after i noticed a large number of dead pixels. Didn't have to pay again for the return when the resent a 2nd replacement. I got that phone, and it was fine, so I returned my defective launch day device and have had that 2nd replacement ever since. Palm has a 1 yr warranty on their devices so pretty much anyone has these options.
    Is the hardware a bit flimsy? Yes. Is getting replacements that big of a deal? In my experience, not at all. The function of the phone combined with the beauty and usability of webOS lets me look past these defects, minor as they are with my current phone, and look forward to future, more solid devices. Just my opinion. If yours differs, well, more power to ya.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456