Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surfhi View Post
    1. I'm sure they've never heard of homebrew either. They don't check internet boards. I bet more people know about jailbreaking than homebrew.
    2. If pre can defend the lack of vk with a patch why is not fair iphone to talk about multiflow?
    3. shows how popular the iphone is and how important marketing is to people. They don't know they need multitasking til they are shown how cool it is. Who here hasn't had a family member switch from a dumbphone then show everyone how cool multitouch is to other (older) friends?
    4. Your family thinks multitask is cool but they won't jump ship prolly cuz they don't value cell phone use as much as us.
    4. Sure they wish it could multitask but no one will switch because they
    Just a quick point about item #2:

Jailbreaking will void warranties, **** Apple off, and maybe get you involved in a legal fiasco... Homebrew is as simple as installing an app to install patches/applications. Oh yeah, and and the main part; homebrew is all but officially supported by Palm. While they are each ways of tailoring your phone to do what you want, I think the similarities end there. IMHO, the glaring differences make them different enough to make an Apple to Palm comparison of tailoring your experience more like apples to oranges.
  2.    #62  
    I still have yet to hear from an Android user or an iphone user how they would perform the tasks in the example I gave. I told you step by step exactly how I would handle it easily and quickly with the pre. Step...by...step. That's what I'm looking for. Step.......by.......step. If you can't do that, it's either because the process is too long to write down (iphone), or it is a bit clunkier and difficult to perform (android). I don't use either phone day to day, otherwise I would be more than happy to write down the process for each platform. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you choose to look at it that way), I can only speak for the pre and webOS, so I'm waiting for you others to fill me in. And once you write the entire process down and compare them side by side, then I dare you to tell me that your phone can handle things as quickly or a smoothly as the pre. That is all I want to hear, not your claims about how your phone is better or how your platform does things that webOS doesn't. I know that the pre and webOS isn't #1 in every category. Just trying to prove that in situations like this, the pre's multitasking capabilities are just flat better than the competition.

***I'll understand if you choose not to respond to this. Reality has a way of causing writer's block.***
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I was a Iphone user 1st 2nd & 3 rd gen. I recently change to the Pre is OK but i wished the screen was as big and as bright as the iphone. Speed of the iphone is much more snappier but the biggest thing IMO is screen brightness and the size also the iphone seem a lot more clear. The browsing speed seems even. With the iphone being bigger, brighter & more clear makes overall better internet experience. I would love Pre to make changes to the screen in there next GEN. I love alot about the Pre and sprint but bigger IMO is better. Just my $.02
    Quote Originally Posted by Broady View Post
    I was a Iphone user 1st 2nd & 3 rd gen. I recently change to the Pre is OK but i wished the screen was as big and as bright as the iphone. Speed of the iphone is much more snappier but the biggest thing IMO is screen brightness and the size also the iphone seem a lot more clear. The browsing speed seems even. With the iphone being bigger, brighter & more clear makes overall better internet experience. I would love Pre to make changes to the screen in there next GEN. I love alot about the Pre and sprint but bigger IMO is better. Just my $.02
    I don't know if you know this, but the Pre in default is set to about 1/4 screen brightness. You can change brightness in the settings quite easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Great comment, and it really shows that effective advertising can increase the mindshare of a product, which is exactly what Palm needs.
    Yep. I love my Pre, but I was seriously considering giving it to my son (he wanted one at the time) and getting the Droid for myself just based on those commercials.

I think Sprint has actually done a decent job of showing off the Pre from launch, but as time goes on it's sharing a lot of the spotlight with other Sprint devices.

I wonder if Palm even has the cash for ads right now.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Yep. I love my Pre, but I was seriously considering giving it to my son (he wanted one at the time) and getting the Droid for myself just based on those commercials.

I think Sprint has actually done a decent job of showing off the Pre from launch, but as time goes on it's sharing a lot of the spotlight with other Sprint devices.

I wonder if Palm even has the cash for ads right now.
    I was wondering the same thing. You're right, sprint didn't do a bad job. I just thought they couldve done more. Hopefully the big red machine will throw some of their weight behind them, and the bump in sales will allow palm to get their fantastic product out there to a much wider audience.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    This guy never owned a pre. guarantee it. b/c if he did, theres no way he would equate 3gs backgrounder to multitasking on webOS. look at his post-count. he's just an apple fanb0y trolling over here.

1. I've used an iphone with backgrounder. It is the most choppy experience ever. you can just tell that the iphone wasnt configured to run like that.

2. There are numerous reports of a recent apple update breaking the jailbreak. something called bootrom that will remove jailbreak every time you reboot your phone. There are other reports of itunes not syncing with jailbroke iphones. its becoming quite a mess. people saying they have to switch back to the 3g to get a normal jailbreaking experience. OUCH. I'd hate it if Palm did that.

PS: Precentral blocked the use of fanb0y? Isnt that a little rediculous?
    Ok as an iPhone user for almost 3 years I have some experience with jailbreaking and multitasking on the iPhone. I am a Mac fanb0y so while I truly love my iPhone this AT&T service is freaking killing me. Not to mention how Apple is acting towards jailbreaking.

1. Backrounder with the new extension app ProSwitcher which was originally called PreSwitcher is actually very fluid, it looks and performs like a native program. It basically allows you to multitask like a Pre but not quite as perfect but close enough to hold an iPhone users interest. With a 3GS I had as many as 15 cards open before noticeable slowdown. It shows the iPhone can multitask greatly but it also shows how awesome of an OS WebOS is.

2. That bootrom update you're referring to only affects the newest models of the iPhone 3GS. The second thing you said is basically the tethered jailbreak that you have to use with this new bootrom. That tethered jailbreak is quite a mess who wants to do that lol. iTunes has always worked with jailbroken phones I have never had an issue with it acting buggy due to my jailbreaking. And honestly the locked down nature of the iPhone OS and them basically changing the bootrom on the new 3GS is why I am switching to WebOS. Because if I couldn't jailbreak my iPhone I wouldn't want one. So I have just sold my 3GS and am now using my old 3G which sucks but i'll be picking up a Pre Plus on the 25th and I know one thing I'll miss is that simultaneous data and voice I actually used that a lot.
    I still have yet to hear from an Android user or an iphone user how they would perform the tasks in the example I gave. I told you step by step exactly how I would handle it easily and quickly with the pre. Step...by...step. That's what I'm looking for. Step.......by.......step. If you can't do that, it's either because the process is too long to write down (iphone), or it is a bit clunkier and difficult to perform (android). I don't use either phone day to day, otherwise I would be more than happy to write down the process for each platform. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you choose to look at it that way), I can only speak for the pre and webOS, so I'm waiting for you others to fill me in. And once you write the entire process down and compare them side by side, then I dare you to tell me that your phone can handle things as quickly or a smoothly as the pre. That is all I want to hear, not your claims about how your phone is better or how your platform does things that webOS doesn't. I know that the pre and webOS isn't #1 in every category. Just trying to prove that in situations like this, the pre's multitasking capabilities are just flat better than the competition.

***I'll understand if you choose not to respond to this. Reality has a way of causing writer's block.***
    u've created a scenario specific to the pre. Tell me how to makee it though the day without charging your pre three times a day. Multifl0w app looked promising for iphone. Let me create a scenario..how do you fit 9gb of files on to the pre? How do you skype, facebbok chat, or get access to 10,000 apps? wcan you do that on a pre? What if I wanted to landscape type, email, or view a pdf? I would have to (sarcasm) plug my phone into the computer, download extra programs, turn on developer mode, restart the phone after every patch is installed, then hope another update comes soon so I don't have to plug it back in the computer run webos doctor. Go pick a fight on iphone forums if you want real responses. What if I wanted a widget on screen? Can pre do that?
    A jailbroken iPhone 3GS with Backgrounder and ProSwitcher loaded with BiteSMS as well basically handles the situation slightly better because the iPhone has simultaneous data and voice I would receive the call open the Card interface and switch back to Navigation which would still be working in the background. If a friend called to ask about an email I would open the ProSwitcher card interface switch to the email app which is always running in the background while still on the call and check the email. If i got a text it would be rather annoying but I could still close the pop up or answer right there over whatever app I was using with BiteSMS. I could easily open Pandora or Slacker which i prefer turn on some music and switch back to whatever I was doing with the card interface of Proswitcher. Hell depending on what the email was relating to I could look something up while still on the call if it was food or movies through another app using internet. Proswitcher is also activated quite seamlessly with the iPhone just double tap on the statusbar to open a Pre like interface(basically stolen from the Pre with the same card gestures). The iPhone 3GS still opens the apps faster than a Pre would with all this activated but then again the OS has been around for a while so its highly optimized. With all this being said its completely possible for both Sprint and Verizon to update their networks to do data and voice. Supposedly this year both Sprint and Verizon will be upgrading their networks to handle SVDO which is basically simultaneous 1X Voice with EV-DO data.
    u've created a scenario specific to the pre. Tell me how to makee it though the day without charging your pre three times a day. Multifl0w app looked promising for iphone. Let me create a scenario..how do you fit 9gb of files on to the pre? How do you skype, facebbok chat, or get access to 10,000 apps? wcan you do that on a pre? What if I wanted to landscape type, email, or view a pdf? I would have to (sarcasm) plug my phone into the computer, download extra programs, turn on developer mode, restart the phone after every patch is installed, then hope another update comes soon so I don't have to plug it back in the computer run webos doctor. Go pick a fight on iphone forums if you want real responses. What if I wanted a widget on screen? Can pre do that?
    Multiflow is garbage, I tried that and it has a horrible memory leak problem and even though his post was Pre specific he was basically trying to highlight what the phone does extremely well. With that said as long as you have a jailbroken iPhone you can get an experience that is pretty much on par with what he has said. And a little faster as well as long as you're using a 3GS.
    *deleted*...you do not have to restart your phone after each patch. oh, and it isn't necessary to run the doctor after an update. i've patched the hell out of my phone (i love that this is something i can do to make my phone uniquely mine), and never had an issue with an update. i only doctored once, and that was because i was bored and wanted to see if it was as much of a pain as people said. it took less than ten minutes from plugging my phone in up to it asking me to enter my profile login.

I figure that you were not basing your argument on ignorance, and instead just exaggerating to attempt to prove your point.
    Last edited by igobytony; 01/13/2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: i was being a di(k
  12.    #72  
    Pretty typical response here. Look back over my posts on this thread and you'll see that I said this was how iclones would respond. Evade the question and bring up things that their phone might have over the pre. I think it's on page one. Pretty funny.
    This is not a scenario specific to the pre. This can happen to any user on any platform. Was is unique to the pre is the way it handles it. All I'm asking is how your phone would handle the situation. I didn't bring up anything that is impossible, as you did with the 9 gig example, although it will be possible with the pre plus. I just asked you to outline how your phone would handle this multitasking opportunity, and you refused to do it, which I guess is understandable given your iphone's limitations.
    And by the way, adding landscape for pdf, msg'ing, and email is much easier than you stated. *Do me a favor, if you are going to trashtalk a product, make sure you get your facts straight.
    All you have to do is tell me how your phone will handle these types of multitasking situations. *That's it. *That's all I want to know. *It's why I started this thread and if you don't want to do that, no worries. *I hope you enjoy your phone, it is an excellent product. *Just not, IMO, as good as webOS.
    Last edited by morrison0880; 01/13/2010 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    A jailbroken iPhone 3GS with Backgrounder and ProSwitcher loaded with BiteSMS as well basically handles the situation slightly better because the iPhone has simultaneous data and voice I would receive the call open the Card interface and switch back to Navigation which would still be working in the background. If a friend called to ask about an email I would open the ProSwitcher card interface switch to the email app which is always running in the background while still on the call and check the email. If i got a text it would be rather annoying but I could still close the pop up or answer right there over whatever app I was using with BiteSMS. I could easily open Pandora or Slacker which i prefer turn on some music and switch back to whatever I was doing with the card interface of Proswitcher. Hell depending on what the email was relating to I could look something up while still on the call if it was food or movies through another app using internet. Proswitcher is also activated quite seamlessly with the iPhone just double tap on the statusbar to open a Pre like interface(basically stolen from the Pre with the same card gestures). The iPhone 3GS still opens the apps faster than a Pre would with all this activated but then again the OS has been around for a while so its highly optimized. With all this being said its completely possible for both Sprint and Verizon to update their networks to do data and voice. Supposedly this year both Sprint and Verizon will be upgrading their networks to handle SVDO which is basically simultaneous 1X Voice with EV-DO data.
    So, if you patch your iPhone to mimic WebOS, then it does very well in this scenario. Got it.
    So, if you patch your iPhone to mimic WebOS, then it does very well in this scenario. Got it.
    LOL basically
    Yes i have to agree with u about webos and it greatness. cuz while i was driving i recieved and email from facebook about a friend of my mothers and left her # and it was in the email. so without closing the email i called my mother put her on speaker went back to the email and gave her the #. With other phones thats damn near impossible. Thank u webos.
    I just find the experience pretty slick. For example, I frequently listen to audiobooks in the car on my BT headset, while using Sprint Nav. When a call comes in, I can take it and when I finish talking, it automatically switches back to the part of my audio...all while still keeping my navigation going. How many phones can do all that as well?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I gotta tell ya, at least half the reason I just bought an ERIS for my son is that the DROID commercials got me worked up about that OS and I wanted to spend some time with it. Now that I've played around with it, that interface isn't much different from the iPhone and nowhere close to the ease of WebOS. Why every other OS doesn't have some type of card/window metaphor, as you find on every computer OS, is beyond me. It's just the right way to do it. I disagree that it's just as easy or just as fast. I like that Android is more mature OS, but that whole home button thing needs to go.
    Again, with Sense UI, the card/window metaphor IS used in a great amount of the user experience. It's in the web browser, which is where smartphone users spend the majority of their time. It's on the main menu as you swipe between the 7 homescreens.

If I can't use it while switching between Last.fm, PhotoShop, SkyMap, and Gmail...that's fine. I can't use it with those apps on WebOS either...because it doesn't have them - and many others - AT ALL.

Multitasking works best when you aren't limited in the tasks you can choose from, no?
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Actually, every patch is available as an over-the-air download. Its as simple as running an app, clicking on the patch you want, and pressing install. 10 seconds, you have your patch. I know the iphone needs to be plugged in for everything it does, the Pre is a little forward in this scenario. We do a lot of OTA things.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Again, with Sense UI, the card/window metaphor IS used in a great amount of the user experience. It's in the web browser, which is where smartphone users spend the majority of their time. It's on the main menu as you swipe between the 7 homescreens.

If I can't use it while switching between Last.fm, PhotoShop, SkyMap, and Gmail...that's fine. I can't use it with those apps on WebOS either...because it doesn't have them - and many others - AT ALL.

Multitasking works best when you aren't limited in the tasks you can choose from, no?
    Totally disagree. I use my web browser on my phone maybe 10% of the time. I'm usually on email, chat, FB, drPodder, Radio time, Google Maps. Stuff I leave open and swap between regularly. Like on my computer. I rarely web browse because most of what I need from the web runs in an app (ie Engadget). And when I do, it's something specific and I've got one browser window open.

And, unless SenseUI is different than what's on my son's ERIS, homescreens are nothing like cards. Homescreens on his device are the same as the three app pages on my Pre that you swipe between. Pages of icons or widgets are NOT cards.

I just don't know why it's hard for people to admit that WebOS does this one thing better than anybody else.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 01/13/2010 at 08:44 PM.
    sorry I'm using my pre and the scrolling sucks once the text size changes in these response boxes. My point is apple/android is in the selling phones business. Your family bought there iphones because it was marketed to them right. They think multitasking is cool but it's not enough to make them switch over. So what does palm need to do as a gamechanger? To the normal people who have dumbphones the pre is still lacking and multitasking is overratedto them because they want memory, apps, and longevity. Btw copying and scrolling is really hard with the accuracy of this phone.
    1) More people may know about jailbreaking than homebrew, but that's because there a vastly more iphone users than pre users. =) The nice thing is that, once a pre user discovers or is directed to precentral, modifying his oe her phone through patches, themes, tweaks, etc, is extremely easy, and not frowned upon by the manufacturer.
    2) It is fair for the iphone to talk about how jailbreaking lets the iclone to use multiflow. It is not fair to say that it comes close to the multitasking abilities of webOS. Really, be honest. It isn't even in the same ballpark.
    3) You are right. The marketing dept of Apple is second to none. Period. That said, what is your point? Are you saying that they don't think they need multitasking, but once they experience it, they realize how lacking the Apple OS really is? That sounds more like your agreeing that multitasking it needed, and the iphone can't offer it. That is, unless you jailbreak it and use a mutant version of multitasking.
    4) Not sure what's being stated here.
    *I think you meant 5) Either you lost your train of thought, or you couldn't think of a reason NOT to switch to the pre.
    Thanks for the input though. As I said, an iphone user will not answer my original question and let me know how they would perform the tasks in my example. At least Android has a response. iclones lean on jailbreaking, but then don't finish up by telling me exactly how they would use it to do what the pre can.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast